As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV - Penny Arcade: The Series] Season 2 Finale: Mike and Jerry

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    but that implies there's a "right" decade

L|ama on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    the one thing i don't understand about PAX:

the people who go into the freeplay floor, alone, and sit there and play single player games, alone

Yeah I remember when we got four people together to do New Super Mario

the guy next to us was playing Mass Effect

I just

what

People do a lot of talking about that game! I don't have any plans to play it but if put in a situation where it's just sitting there I might give it a shot - in fact a similar situation was how I first played super mario rpg as a kid and I Regret Nothing

Also some people have social anxiety

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    but that implies there's a "right" decade
    The '10s. Or, for nostalgia, the '80s. The '00s are right out.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That video of Gabe smelling the dude's business card during the Q&A while Tycho tries to answer a question is pretty hilarious.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This video was awesome

This video also made me sad I won't be able to make it to PAX this year.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    there were a lot of embarrassing offerings to mike and jerry, as unto gods, at Pax East this year.

Langly on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah the constant gifts and requests for hugs and signatures at this year's East were pretty annoying. Especially when Mike and Jerry specifically said 'okay no more signatures/whatever there's a signing session after this' and then the next three people pulled out tear-jerker stories to get shit signed then and there. Thought they handled it well though, if it was frustrating for the spectators it must have been annoying as hell for them.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    there were a lot of embarrassing offerings to mike and jerry, as unto gods, at Pax East this year.

have this new hannah montana ball

and bless our crops with a good harvest this fall

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There were some pretty weird requests/questions at PAX East.

One guy made some joke about dicks and jelly, after asking Brenna what the difference was between jam and jelly.

Another guy had to make a "Man Check" with a D20 in front of the crowd.

And then, of course, there was the MLP guy.

God those were pretty obnoxious, especially the "you can't jelly a dick in your ass" guy.

Why the hell did he think that would be a good idea?

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Though, holding up that guys prosthetic leg in front of the audience was pretty great

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess the socially awkward questions at the Q&As are the other side of having a convention hall full of social outcasts.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What was so bad about Q&A 08?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Wasn't there something with a sailor moon doll in bondage
    sup

aside from other complaints about the Q&A's, another one that bugs me is the advertisments. at paxeast someone didn't ask a question and mainly advertised his panel that was coming up later. and usually during sunday's Q&A, half of it is spent giving out results of this, that, and some other such thing.I don't really know what to do about that second complaint, since yeah I do like knowing how the cookie brigade did, and how the pokecrawl went, and the presentation of the pax buttons, and whatever. Nevermind, I take back that other one. Just know sunday's Q&A will be the least about questions.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So on a scale of 1-10 how welcome was she

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    with pax? 9
    with se++? 1

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I don't really remember now.

I was just kind of embarrassed after hyping it to my friend.

Anyway, 2009 was pretty great. The "guy who smells good" was even better in person, but here y'all go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUNU9j9m_eU

I wish I could find video of later on. Gabe just started going to the back of the stage and practically trying to snort the thing. It was great.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Veretas wrote: »
    This video was awesome

This video also made me sad I won't be able to make it to PAX this year.

What.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Whoa, what year was this?
    UB2mP.jpg

1999:

http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/interviews/pennyarcade_a.shtm

There's a few more photos there.

Fun fact: The guy interviewing them is now one of the lead designers for World of Warcraft.

Darric on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    PAX 08 was my first PAX. I flew out from Boston to fucking Seattle with 3 friends. I loved the shit out of the Q&A, but maybe because I didn't have a frame of reference. PAX 08 also had the announcement of PAX East which, being from Mass, was pretty fucking exciting for me.

As far as PAX East 11 goes, what about the guy with the hand made boats? That was pretty cool. And the guy that gave them Irun Brew and their reactions.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You mean Irn Bru? :P

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    huff

puff

heard we were discussing Irn Bru, got here as fast as I could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PxuFQCDis

Fyndir on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darric wrote: »

PSLUU.jpg

s5mSN.jpg

Ah, the days of being youngster kids.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Jerry is a towhead. Who knew?

Good Looking Fat Guy on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i liked this episode

mike and jerry are fine by me

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Whoa, what year was this?
    UB2mP.jpg

1999:

http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/interviews/pennyarcade_a.shtm

There's a few more photos there.

Fun fact: The guy interviewing them is now one of the lead designers for World of Warcraft.
    Gamespy - How do you think it will work without syndication? In old media, a cartoon that wanted to go big would be picked up by a newspaper, then picked up by a syndicate to be distributed nationally. On the web it's a whole different game. Can it work?

Tycho - There's no question that it's working for some people. A perfect example of that would be User Friendly and Sluggy Freelance. Here's two comic strips that, as far as I'm concerned, practically legitimized the medium. If nothing else, they've shown it's possible to make it without the help of a massive corporation.

Gabe - That's significant.

Tycho - That's huge!

Gamespy - So what about Penny Arcade? Where does it fit in?

Tycho - We certainly haven't legitimized jack shit.

Gabe - Neither Jack nor Shit, actually.

Tycho - We're not even playing on the same field as though two comics.

hilarious in retrospect

EDIT:
    Gabe - You ask where we get our ideas from? He actually played System Shock 2 non-stop for a week. Two favorite games this year? I'd say Soul Calibur for sure. It's a hottie. And I really loved Sonic Adventure. Those two probably knocked me out the most. I rented the Dreamcast from Hollywood Video... You could go in there and rent Sonic Adventure early, before you could buy a Dreamcast. But they weren't renting the VMUs. So it took me a week to beat the game -- I left the machine on constantly. I had to go to work and stuff, I just left it on while I was out of the house. I had a hell of a good time with that game. I think the old Sonic games were the pinnacle of platform excellence.

Tycho - Past Mario? Past Megaman!?

Gabe - By the time they got to Sonic and Knuckles, they were at the top of their game.

Tycho - No way!

[At this point the two of them just started slapping each other.]

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, at the risk of madness, I must ask...

Why can I watch the previous PATV just fine, but this one displays only a non-interactive Quicktime logo with a question mark? And more importantly, what arcane ritual need I complete to watch the finale?

AlanF5 on
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's a M4V file wrapped with Flash.
    So... update Quicktime and Flash?
    I know Flash made me update when Firefox 5 came out, which wasn't that long ago.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks, but no joy. Do I need any of the codecs or whatever on this quicktime page?

AlanF5 on
  • Options
    Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe try a different browser?

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I don't really remember now.

I was just kind of embarrassed after hyping it to my friend.

Anyway, 2009 was pretty great. The "guy who smells good" was even better in person, but here y'all go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUNU9j9m_eU

I wish I could find video of later on. Gabe just started going to the back of the stage and practically trying to snort the thing. It was great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfLhvUKPIRs

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

PSLUU.jpg

s5mSN.jpg

Ah, the days of being youngster kids.

Not that they look bad in those pictures, BUT they definitely got better looking with age. Like a fine wine. Usually people look better as youngsters. I don't know, this is maybe kind of weird but it seems like they "grew into" their bodies as they got older.

Roger Wilco on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I thought that was the usual thing? I was a fugly teenager. Now I'm just unattractive. Pretty huge step up in the last few years.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not that they look bad in those pictures, BUT they definitely got better looking with age. Like a fine wine. Usually people look better as youngsters. I don't know, this is maybe kind of weird but it seems like they "grew into" their bodies as they got older.

Isn't the trope that men get more handsome as they age, and for women it's the reverse?

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Maybe try a different browser?
    That did the trick, and don't I feel :oops: for not having thought of that myself.

You and your glorious moustache have my gratitude.

AlanF5 on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PAX 08 was my first PAX. I flew out from Boston to fucking Seattle with 3 friends. I loved the shit out of the Q&A, but maybe because I didn't have a frame of reference. PAX 08 also had the announcement of PAX East which, being from Mass, was pretty fucking exciting for me.

As far as PAX East 11 goes, what about the guy with the hand made boats? That was pretty cool. And the guy that gave them Irun Brew and their reactions.

The only cool gift at Pax East this year was a framed painting of Jim Darkmagic that some guy did for Mike. It was pretty fucking cool. Although I don't remember seeing anything about boats.

Off the top of my head, the embarrassing/stupid gifts were

-Chocolate bars
    -Chain Mail Lanyards with coins? I don't know it was a really weird deal and the guy was super awkward and kept talking and wore a huge fez
    -doughnuts
    -soda
    -candy
    -ground coffee
    -unground coffee (with a super awkward thing about how the previous coffee gift was stupid because Jerry is learning how to grind

And then the pinnacle of creepy was the guy who didn't ask for a hug, or a high five, he simply asked if he could touch Jerry.

Langly on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What would the creepiest question be?

[tiny]"Mike, could I hug you while you draw? Like if you sat on my knee, and I just nestled into your back..."[/tiny]

Fyndir on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "guess where im gonna hide the bodies"

L|ama on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    The only cool gift at Pax East this year was a framed painting of Jim Darkmagic that some guy did for Mike. It was pretty fucking cool. Although I don't remember seeing anything about boats.

Yeah, the guy who made them brought them to the second Q&A on Sunday, and asked Mike and Jerry to name them.

I know they named one Initiative, but I can't remember what the named the other one...

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fyndir wrote: »
    huff

puff

heard we were discussing Irn Bru, got here as fast as I could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PxuFQCDis

Ah that ad brings back nostalgic feelings. The thing that always stood out for me was the guy bending the iron fence with his hand.

I've still never tried the stuff though.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fyndir wrote: »
    What would the creepiest question be?

[tiny]"Mike, could I hug you while you draw? Like if you sat on my knee, and I just nestled into your back..."[/tiny]

Creepiest was probably PAX '07, where some dude walks up the mic and says, "why'd you guys set it up?"

The whole thing was super weird and Tycho moved on as quickly as possible.

The dude later posted on here that he was just super nervous and was trying to ask how PAX came about it.

ASimPerson on