As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I lifted when I hadn't slept in two days and I think I made myself sick.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Can anyone recommend any protein-rich foods for a vegetarian? I don't eat fish or chicken either, so, what vegetarian food is full of protein?

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Can anyone recommend any protein-rich foods for a vegetarian? I don't eat fish or chicken either, so, what vegetarian food is full of protein?

Are you vegan? Do you have aspirations of being HYOOGE or throwing around impressive weight? You can meet protein requirements easily through eggs and dairy. Your farts will likely be horrendous though.

Your body will also self-regulate to a certain extent. If you aren't eating enough protein to support your muscles then your body will metabolize glucose into pyruvate which can then be used to produce ATP for your muscles through Glycolysis.*

*I think I have that right. I've only just started learning about this kind of shit a few months ago and have put in close to no research. So read it as you would anything else on the Internet and don't believe it.

• Options
    Lord_Snot wrote:

Nuts, soy, whey.

• Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    Lentils. Lentils. Lentils.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Black beans are excellent as well.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    And they make you a better musician!

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    if you're not opposed i say hella eggs

poo
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    lazegamer wrote:
    I'm having a very difficult time keeping my knees from buckling on heavy weights during the squat. I've self-diagnosed myself as having under developed glutes/hamstrings in comparison to my quads, but I've yet to find a proper accessory that I can do in my gym to help (glute ham raises seem the favorite, but I've not found a place to do them). There are a bevy of possible exercises, but I'm interested in which experience or science would recommend to encourage growth in the squat.

When you say knees buckling what exactly do you mean? Collapsing in so they're pointed at each other? Something else?

Yes, I'm able to keep my knees following my feet under 70% exertion or so. Whenever I start getting close to my max my quadriceps take over and I'm unable to keep my knees in line when trying to come out of the hole. As a result I've started having dull pain around the bottom of my patella.

While I don't plan to stop squatting, since it's the core of my workout regimen, I do plan to work in some glute activation exercises. I'm just not sure which yet.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote:
    Peen wrote:
    lazegamer wrote:
    I'm having a very difficult time keeping my knees from buckling on heavy weights during the squat. I've self-diagnosed myself as having under developed glutes/hamstrings in comparison to my quads, but I've yet to find a proper accessory that I can do in my gym to help (glute ham raises seem the favorite, but I've not found a place to do them). There are a bevy of possible exercises, but I'm interested in which experience or science would recommend to encourage growth in the squat.

When you say knees buckling what exactly do you mean? Collapsing in so they're pointed at each other? Something else?

Yes, I'm able to keep my knees following my feet under 70% exertion or so. Whenever I start getting close to my max my quadriceps take over and I'm unable to keep my knees in line when trying to come out of the hole. As a result I've started having dull pain around the bottom of my patella.

While I don't plan to stop squatting, since it's the core of my workout regimen, I do plan to work in some glute activation exercises. I'm just not sure which yet.

RDLs get the job done for me and are a decent substitute if you can't find a spot to do GHRs. Good mornings would help too, but personally I get a lot more glute activation doing RDLs. Glute bridges are another option.

The best option is probably still to just do squats and focus on keeping the knees out and sitting back. This'll get both the glutes and hamstrings more involved.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Was supposed to go push my buddie's new prowler today but snapped one of my toes breaking it in a real real nasty way in jiujitsu yesterday. It SUCKS.

Is there absolutely any reason to go to a doctor for a broken toe? It's got a big section that's now black but I'm guessing they'd look at it, send me for xrays, x ray it, make me wait a week, then tell me to tape it to the toe next to it again.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote:
    Peen wrote:
    lazegamer wrote:

Get a foam roller and a tennis ball and really work the hell out of the IT band down the outside of your thigh. Tightness there often causes pain in the patella tendon. My spot is about 2/3 the way down the thigh to the knee, right up under the quad muscle. That point, oh, she is a dreadful dreadful bitch to dig out but when I get it - knee pain is fixed.

We used to do natural GHRs at my last gym by loading up a barbell with 100-120kg and wedging it behind whatever equipment was around so it couldn't move forward. Get your feet under it and go for gold. Need towels for knee-ground and ankle-bar cushioning. Tough exercise to do (I was on negatives for about 2 months) but it gives you some mean strength in the trunk.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I always love Im more sore 2 days after a workout than the day after. Oh well at least I know the cure, deadlifts!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    It's been almost 2 years since I started exercising. Went from 205 with little to no muscles (especially upper body) down to 190 just with diet and slowly back up to 205 through diet and gym. I'm not done by a long shot, but I just weighed myself last night and realized I was back at my pre-exercise weight. Now it's just mostly muscle instead a fat. Good times.

• Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    ok...so I watched "Pulling John" - it's a documentary about John Brzenk, who, in addition to needing to buy a vowel, is the best pound for pound arm wrestler in the world. Interesting documentary, it's on netflix, yadda yadda

they show one of his opponents training in russia. Russians have this weird tendency to make their own ghetto weight equipment.

So this guy, he's laying down in a hipsled and pressing it with his arms. And it's got like, 400 kilos on it.

Trying to translate it into a likely benchpress number baffled me.

that is all, return to your grunting.

Another good one is Bigger, Stronger, Faster. It's about steroids.

Love me.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    i am no longer measuring my strength gains via weight

i am measuring them by number of people i take out at the bar in a single shove

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    God damnit. I absolutely nailed my weight move up on my squats, then floundered around with my bench and deadlift. Blaahhhhh.

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular

I thought you were measuring it in punches to the ear that you shake off.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    JAEF wrote:
    God damnit. I absolutely nailed my weight move up on my squats, then floundered around with my bench and deadlift. Blaahhhhh.

For the past 2 or 3 weeks I have been absolutely destroying my Squats on my Push days. Then I go to Front Squats and they suck. And Bench Press feels heavy. I think I am just stressing my CNS too much in the beginning of my workout with those heavy squats.

Buddies on
  • Options
    Simple solution bros: don't squat and bench and for the love of god not deadlift on the same day.

There, see how easy that was?

• Options
    i tweaked something in my back/upper shoulder, like right to the upper inside of my shoulder blade
    this was during warmup set #3 of deadlifts at 235

i am pretty sure it was because i was not keeping my shoulders back/tight that set. that would make sense right?

oh well i'm sure it'll be fine in a few days but it hurts now, and it made doing my work set of 265 hard, i only got 3 mediocre reps

poo
  • Options
    Jyardana wrote:

I thought you were measuring it in punches to the ear that you shake off.

haha touche

seriously, they hurt.

• Options
    Picked up a 3/4" 4x6 sheet of rubber for $39 yesterday so I can deadlift. I need another 4 mats to finish my home gym area in my garage. It's really starting to shape up. Can't wait till I finish it.

• Options
    i need a massage now

badly

poo
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    What is the best way to work your core?

I hope it isn't crunches.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    squats and powercleans today!

got my spandex on and long pants and gonna go make the rec my bitch

gonna go cash my change in and see about buying some converse those seem to be the consensus weight lifting shoe for cheap, no?

@Xehalus bridges/planks & six inches

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    First week of wrestling is almost over. My legs are sore. My entire body is in pain. There are bruises all over my legs, something in my right elbow hurts, and I pulled a muscle in my chest and back.

Good times.

• Options
    squats and powercleans today!

got my spandex on and long pants and gonna go make the rec my bitch

gonna go cash my change in and see about buying some converse those seem to be the consensus weight lifting shoe for cheap, no?

@Xehalus bridges/planks & six inches

Hi top and high socks, make the ladies swoon.

Xehalus squats, deadlifts, hanging leg raises.

• Options
    Fuck yes the hi top chucks. I've got the velcro strap on there too. Good to lift in.

I've tried raised heel a couple of times but I don't know if it's for me. I'm very very glute dominant. In fact 40% of my bodyweight is glutes and glute-related accessories.

After 4 weeks of insomnia since this shit with the girlfriend went down - finally got my first decent night of sleep. 9 hours. I feel fucking invincible right now. Thank you very much, valerian root.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    This is probably a really stupid question, but...

Is there something lifting related that could cause me to feel ill? Like... flu-like symptoms? Started about three hours after I left the gym.

• Options
    No. That'll be the flu.

• Options
    Xehalus wrote:
    What is the best way to work your core?

I hope it isn't crunches.

Squats, pullups, dragon flags.

• Options
    EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    Fro, you probably shouldn't have licked the bar.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Always lick the bar. It's good luck.

• Options
    Also spit on your hands before you grab it, it helps your grip.

• Options
    and sometimes when you're sick and the symptoms haven't hit yet and you have gone to the gym and just wrecked your body and you will feel twice as bad

that's happened to me before i reckon

also, yeah hi top chucks what the fuck else is there? ain't no scrub.

decided to hold off on the gym until three - fucking parking services was there handing out tickets when i drove by twenty minutes ago. do not feel like a parking ticket currently. got $60 from my change cup today

• Options
    if you're already on the way to being sick, and then you work out hard, then your body is trying to fight the disease AND fix your muscles

so yeah that

also ow this tweaking of my shoulder thing hurts, my fault for bad deadlift form.

poo
  • Options
    Ive been loving being able to work out at home. I wish I was home right now working out! I need to find a good set of dumbells. 25-75lbs should do fine

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Xehalus wrote:
    dude making his abs morph.youtubevideo

That video always creeps me out and makes me jealous at the same time.

Buddies on
This discussion has been closed.