As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Jyardana wrote:
    Man, I feel horrible during low volume/recovery weeks. The hormone and chem drop from the lack of stimulus is like injecting yourself with depression.

This is how I feel during caffeine lulls!

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hamurabi wrote:
    Jyardana wrote:
    Man, I feel horrible during low volume/recovery weeks. The hormone and chem drop from the lack of stimulus is like injecting yourself with depression.

This is how I feel reading Slider's posts.

JAEF on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote:
    Hamurabi wrote:
    Jyardana wrote:

This is how I feel.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Jyardana wrote:

I'll never deload anyways because it doesn't look impressive.

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote:
    JAEF wrote:
    Hamurabi wrote:
    Jyardana wrote:

This is how I feel.

This is how I feel.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    How's this for a performance:

Weighed in at 100.2kg - up 2.3kg from last comp
    • Squats

180kg - WWR (one red for depth)
      192.5kg - WWW [2.5kg PB/7.5kg comp PB]
      200kg - WWW [10kg PB/15kg comp PB]
    • Bench

115kg - WWW
      122.5 - WWW [2.5kg PB]
      130kg - WWW [10kg PB]
    • Deads

205kg - WWW
      220kg - WWW [equal comp PB]
      230kg - WWW [equal PB/10kg comp PB]

Total - 560kg [35kg PB]

So fucking happy. The last three weeks have been so shitty for me outside the gym and to really nail it inside on the platform was pretty special. Uploading the vids now. 200kg squat was ugly as hell but - a) it was buried; and b) it got 3 whites.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    those are some good lifts, badger. good work!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    Great lifting! The third attempts for squat and dead both looked quick and in control.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    1234 lb total, holy shit. I need to eat your heart to gain your strength. It's the only way.

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    Awesome job Badger!

• Options
    Impressive!

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Thanks guys. From the same Weekend of competition last year it's been +75kg on the total for +0.5kg bodyweight. Happy with that one.

I agree they look okay on video but all three of those third attempts were battles to lock out. I think I got lucky with my attempt selections turning out to be spot on. 2.5kg more might have been possible on all but I'll save it for next time.

Also, a little anomaly with this comp - technically it is our raw national champs. Because NZPF only just made up their minds on adopting raw as a seperate catergory, it was called at late notice and schedule-wise conflicted with two other big comps. As a result, lifter numbers were very low. So low that I was the only one in the open105s and got the gold just by totalling.

Which, I guess, makes me national champ?

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Badger, those are FANTASTIC lifts. I hope you feel super proud of that!

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm curious: I know that bodybuilders have their on- and off-season according to which meet(s) they're competing in for the year, as well as pre-contest prep that can start months ahead of the meet itself (plus, frankly, I imagine a lot of the prep has to do with their juicing cycles).

Is there a similar level of prep for powerlifting? I know just from reading posts here that you generally don't do max-effort stuff really close to competition time, but is there more to it than that?

• Options
    Yeah I'm very, very happy with them. My only goal was that 200 squat but the judges were being very tough on depth in our competition and the one the day before so I had to sink it beyond doubt. Somehow the whole gym knew how much I wanted that lift and when I got under the bar, everyone supporting just went crazy. It actually came up better than I'd hoped. Once I had that lift under my belt, the rush of confidence was incredible. I'd only expected to go 125 in the bench and 220 in the dead but all of a sudden the switch had flipped and everything in warmups just snapped up with no trouble at all. Never pushed over 120 in the bench before, even in training, so 130 was a sweet little jump.

And a 500lb deadlift to tie it all off. No complaints at all.

• Options
    Hamurabi wrote:
    I'm curious: I know that bodybuilders have their on- and off-season according to which meet(s) they're competing in for the year, as well as pre-contest prep that can start months ahead of the meet itself (plus, frankly, I imagine a lot of the prep has to do with their juicing cycles).

Is there a similar level of prep for powerlifting? I know just from reading posts here that you generally don't do max-effort stuff really close to competition time, but is there more to it than that?

I've been on Sheiko templates all year, starting from the meet dates and working backwards. This one was a 13 week cycle that started in July. The two other comps this year had 7 and 5 week cycles leading up to them. Sheiko works with waves of volume and intensity and it doesn't go higher than 85% (and even then, that's only one week out of four). There's also usually a skills session three weeks out from comp where we'll look at 95-100% to assess what to use as attempts for the meet.

• Options
    Hamurabi wrote:

I've been on Sheiko templates all year, starting from the meet dates and working backwards. This one was a 13 week cycle that started in July. The two other comps this year had 7 and 5 week cycles leading up to them. Sheiko works with waves of volume and intensity and it doesn't go higher than 85% (and even then, that's only one week out of four). There's also usually a skills session three weeks out from comp where we'll look at 95-100% to assess what to use as attempts for the meet.

13 weeks? So that's three months out from a meet. What're you doing the rest of the year -- or is the idea just to do several meets a year, months apart? I'm just always fascinated by the behind-the-scenes prep stuff that athletes go through.

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Goddamn badger, good work!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Really nice work TRB, it's nice to have a national champion on the boards.

• Options
    Hamurabi wrote:
    Hamurabi wrote:

13 weeks? So that's three months out from a meet. What're you doing the rest of the year -- or is the idea just to do several meets a year, months apart? I'm just always fascinated by the behind-the-scenes prep stuff that athletes go through.

That's pretty much it. It's been back to back comps and comp prep all year from February. Started the year with 165/115/190 in testing and have done three comps since then. Time between comps has only been 1-3 weeks. Enough time to recover, plan the next one and maybe do 1-2 weeks of general conditioning. Not sure when my next comp from here will be - maybe Feb/March depending on what's on. I just get such a kick out of competing (and the free t-shirts).
    Peen wrote:
    Really nice work TRB, it's nice to have a national champion on the boards.

For, the record, I'm not claiming this (plus I doubt it's actually the case anyway). I train with several open 105s who are phenomenal raw lifters. Saw a 305kg squat in belt and wraps in the open 105s on Saturday. Unreal stuff.

• Options
    Oh we're claiming it for you, no worries. Everyone knows if you say something often enough on the Internet it becomes true.

• Options
    like i tell everybody that my roommate is the texas state champion wrestler in his weight class

he was first place, but it was between him and one other dude.

• Options
    I suppose I am going to have to explain this gold medal away somehow

• Options
    It's the perfect accessory for the newly single man around town.

Felt like hammered ass, went and squatted anyway. Didn't get much of anything else done but eh.

• Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    Awesome job, TRB

• Options
    so i probably haven't worked legs in three weeks

maxed out today for 275 x 8 on squats

military press i did 135 x 9

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I started Olympic lifting with a former Olympic athlete/coach. He got a bronze medal and has done some pretty impressive lifts (I think). Today is my third day. Really excited, never thought I'd actually be stoked to lift weights but it's a lot of fun!

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Did some doubles on cleans today. not going for a hard challenge since its a recovery week I put up 265 without too much exertion and no form breakdown.

Looking forward to my first race on sat

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    this is the tiny asian guy who's constantly lifting more than my giant fat ass:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2726693132724

what an asshole.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    What meet have you got on Saturday, Jy?

• Options
    Just a small local meet where I'm running the 60, but hoping to get a good enough time to use it to get me into some more prestigious meets.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I don't know if anyone's posted this before but I was poking around for a shoulder mobility/warmup routine and I found this. It looks good and got recommended in a few other places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_A4xfbGUU

Peen on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    Badge, this pleases me

• Options
    I thought you'd like it. Your turn in the new year.

I'm wondering if I can quickly tack on a cycle of smolov jr before the end of the year and have a crack at a 140kg touch and go bench. A third wheel would be so awesome. Anyone here had a play with that template before?

• Options
    Kak loves those things If I'm remembering right, you'll just have to lure him out of his cave with some jerky or something.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Nice work Badger. Strong stuff.

Skyrim totally destroyed me over the holiday weekend. My GSX-R got a flat tire too so I couldn't go anywhere, so instead I just stayed home and played Skyrim for hours on end. I barely ate, and only ate because I realized I hadn't eaten almost all day. That coupled with the only 6-7 hours of sleep made my workout suck ass yesterday. And I am feeling it some more today as my 7 hours of sleep was woken up in the middle of a very long dream. It took me what felt like 3 minutes to wake up to my alarm and get out of bed, but not because I was procastinating but just because I was so tired it felt like I was still dreaming.

• Options
    King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    I thought you'd like it. Your turn in the new year.

I'm wondering if I can quickly tack on a cycle of smolov jr before the end of the year and have a crack at a 140kg touch and go bench. A third wheel would be so awesome. Anyone here had a play with that template before?
    I did a round of smolov jr for bench for a month and was amazed at the improvement. blew past my old sticking point on starting strength like it was nothing. My lifts are quite a bit lower than yours though, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    still have that tweak in my shouldery thing from the deadlifts the other friday but i did 5 of 265 today so thats good, and my lateral leg pain stopped/diminished

poo
  • Options
    Peen wrote:
    Kak loves those things If I'm remembering right, you'll just have to lure him out of his cave with some jerky or something.

Good call. I am definitely going to make some Jerky this weekend. It's been too long.

This discussion has been closed.