Options

Video Game Industry Thread: June-July is done, go to the next thread

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    QUAAAAAAAAKE

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-17-notch-challenges-bethesda-to-quake-3
    Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson wants to settle the Bethesda "Scrolls" lawsuit in a game of Quake 3.

If his team of three beat Bethesda's team of three, he asks that Bethesda drop the lawsuit.

If Bethesda wins, Persson will agree to change Scrolls' name to something else.

"I am serious, by the way," wrote Markus Persson on his blog.

Scrolls is the next game by Minecraft studio Mojang. Persson recently revealed he'd been hit with a cease and desist letter by Bethesda's lawyers. Scrolls apparently infringes upon "The Elder Scrolls" copyright.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That's pretty cool, I hope Bethesda takes him up on that.

World's top Quake player gets an e-mail from Bethesda

"Hey, how'd you like to be a Bethesda employee for a day?! :3"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:

Why do that when you can send Carmack himself.

• Options
    Carmack's too busy writing game engines ins less than 10 minutes, or beating guys up with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, or beating Chuck Norris at arm wrestling

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Haha, that's awesome.

Oh, found an interesting blog post on the PS3 price drop.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2011/08/console-post-of-week-sony-price-cut.html

First, the guy notes the last price drop was in August 2009, so the system was definitely due for one.

And then he posts U.S. sales charts, aligned by date, for the current three systems and the PS2. (He uses 12-month rolling totals for each data point, which I would presume smooths out the month-by-month fluctuations and points toward the greater trends:

12month2.png

Note that the Wii is still doing better than the PS2 was in that point in its life.

Also, look at that crazy bump for the 360, thanks to Kinect.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:

Why do that when you can send Carmack himself.

matrix.jpg

forumsig.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Wow. Nintendo revenue is down to a thirty year low. Lower than before the NES came out.

doom.mov

doom.jpg

doooooom.gif

*deep breath*

DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!

Though, honestly, what the hell's the point of this revision? This late into the cycle, how much money could Nintendo really be saving by removing support for Gamecube hardware and games? Nevermind that, at least with hte PS3, the case could be made that there were still lots of people who could purchase one. The Wii's already sold so well, and has an appropriately huge grey market. Who would pay extra for a new Gamecube that does fewer things when they could get an older one for potentially less, or even new in the box?

It does lead to some pretty unfortunate (but humorous) assumptions. Apparently, even Nintendo doesn't like the Gamecube.*

*Not intended to be an accurate statement.

The point is trying to make a $99 Wii profitable. People still buy things at retail. Shocking I know. The question is, who at this point that cares about the Gamecube BC, that doesn't already have a Wii? This isn't the case of the PS3 where it was still $500 and lots of people were waiting for the price to come down who owned PS2's. The number of people who are huge gamecube fans but don't own a Wii and would find a reason to finally buy a Wii in the next year and not want to wait on a Wii U are very few in number and they'll still be able to get a BC system if they want.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/abba-dancing-game-announced/083289
    Mamma Mia – here they go again. Ubisoft has just confirmed it's added an Abba dancing game to its roster of licensed music titles.

The Wii game titled Abba: You Can Dance will be out in time for Christmas, MCV can reveal.

Although it doesn’t have a firm release date yet, the title is due for release sometime in the busy Q4 period. MCV understands the Abba game will also have a budget price tag.

It joins a strong roster of music games from Ubisoft including the multi-million selling Michael Jackson: The Experience and smash hit Just Dance series. Ubisoft recently released a Smurfs dancing game on Wii, too.

Ubisoft is also releasing a number of other dance games this year. Just Dance 3 will be released on October 11th for Xbox 360 Kinect, PS3 Move and Wii, while The Black Eyed Peas Experience will arrive one month later on November 11th. The latter will be released on Xbox 360 and Wii.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/smurfs-facebook-game-hits-4m-users/083281
    Ubisoft’s The Smurfs & Co has become the fastest-growing Facebook game in the past two weeks, picking up 4.1m monthly active users.

The town-building adventure game went live on July 29th and is currently the No.1 licence-based social game in the world, according to AppData.

• Options
    Well, at least when the "dance game" market crashes, people wont be stuck with big useless plastic instruments.

Also, Activision can say "It wasn't us this time!"

• Options
    Yep, definitely more exploitin' than Guitar Hero at its explotin'est. This trend should implode pretty damn quick. Of course, it could always take Dance Central with it.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I don't think so, because Dance Central is actually good :p

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Also, is ABBA really that popular with the younger crowd? I mean, yeah, they're the best Swedish pop group ever.. but still...

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    (He uses 12-month rolling totals for each data point, which I would presume smooths out the month-by-month fluctuations and points toward the greater trends)

Ayep - that's exactly why you do it; it's pretty common practice in anything with highly seasonal variations in demand, costs, prices, etc. (e.g., anything involving retail sales which have huge Christmas-season swings, transportation, etc.).

Also, DotA2 will get its very own hardcore mousepad:

SteelSeries and Valve® Corporation Introduce the SteelSeries QcK+ DotA 2 Edition
    Article
    COLONGE, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)--GamesCom - SteelSeries, the leading global manufacturer of gaming peripherals, today introduced the first in a series of co-licensed products with Valve Corporation, creator of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source). The SteelSeries QcK+ DotA 2 Edition provides players with a smooth and consistent glide surface and a non-slip rubber base that keeps the mousepad in place regardless of the gaming environment. Optimized to achieve precision and accuracy for optical and laser technology, the oversized mousepad is 17.7 x 15.7 x 0.08 inches and features the vibrant colors of the DotA 2 black and red game logo.

“With such a highly buzzed about game and tournament championship taking place during GamesCom, we’re excited to bring a quality, co-branded gaming surface to DotA fans and players,” said Bruce Hawver, SteelSeries CEO.

Available in Q4, the new QcK+ is $19.99 USD / €19.99 MSRP. Check it out online at http://steelseries.com/products/games/dota2 . For more information about SteelSeries’ partnership with Valve Corporation, and upcoming products, follow SteelSeries’ social media communities on Facebook and Twitter.

Woo, I guess?

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Wow. Nintendo revenue is down to a thirty year low. Lower than before the NES came out.

doom.mov

Perhaps it's time to reinvest in previous Nintendo ventures, like light-gun ranges and love hotels?

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-17-nintendo-confirms-wii-jrpgs-for-europe

Xenoblade Chronicles have already hit, but Nintendo of Europe has confirmed Last Story and Pandora's Tower are coming to Europe.

Yes, America. Nintendo doesn't love us anymore.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Honestly, I wonder how good at playing games Carmack really is. He always struck me as the sort of guy who only programs games because he likes the challenge, and not because he loves games.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-17-nintendo-confirms-wii-jrpgs-for-europe

Xenoblade Chronicles have already hit, but Nintendo of Europe has confirmed Last Story and Pandora's Tower are coming to Europe.

Yes, America. Nintendo doesn't love us anymore.

Haha...it's like they're trollin' peeps at this point.

Hilarious, really.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    The Wii is now the bizarro SNES.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    And Square-Enix hates Europe: New Deus Ex will be region locked.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/17/deus-ex-human-revolution-is-region-locked/
    That is a bum deal.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So Blizzard pretty much said they are recruiting people to port Diablo 3 at Gamescon.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    So Blizzard pretty much said they are recruiting people to port Diablo 3 at Gamescon.

As I recall, they said as much in a job posting ages ago, and again in interviews around the Beta event they held in late July.
    Honestly, I wonder how good at playing games Carmack really is. He always struck me as the sort of guy who only programs games because he likes the challenge, and not because he loves games.

In Masters of Doom (a book about Romero and Carmack) it says the two of them and others would play for untold hours. He's big on coding and problem solving, clearly, but he doesn't seem to be afraid to throw down either.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Couscous wrote:

I'm a little surprised it's taken them this long. Then again, this is the first game they've made that would reasonably fit onto a console after Starcraft: Ghost.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    After Torchlight on XBLA I'm very ready for Diablo 3 on consoles.

• Options
    So Nintendo has officially announced they have "no plans" to release the BC-less Wii in America. Time will tell if those "no plans" are as solid as their no plans to release Mother 3 ever.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36632/Nintendo_Giving_Wii_A_Facelift_In_Europe_No_Plans_For_America.php

Also, Sony really wasn't kidding when they said Vita dev kits will be cheap.
    Sony has revealed that development kits for the upcoming PlayStation Vita will be initially priced at €1,900 ($2,742), a level much lower than the launch prices for dev kits on other recent Sony systems.

Speaking at a GDC Europe presentation (as reported by Develop), SCEE developer relations manager George Bain said the price, which does not include VAT, should be "very affordable" for potential developers.

Indeed, European development kits for the PlayStation Portable started at €15,000 ($21,654) just before that system's 2005 release, and kits for the PS2 and PS3 initially cost €20,000 ($28,872), with similar prices in other regions. Those prices were later reduced significantly.

Bain added that there would be no additional cost to join the "Vita Develop Program," aside from the development kit purchase. "If you're a small developer, we happy to talk to you about this," he said. "It will help if you have a games portfolio. There's no reason we won't speak with smaller studios about joining up."

He also reconfirmed Sony's plans to make free development kits available to independent developers, adding that the company is seeing as many as 15 weekly pitches for its indie Pub Fund program.

While the system will include some non-gaming apps at launch, and more in the future, Bain said Sony is currently not looking to give development kits for non-gaming applications.

Unlike the retail system, Vita development kits will include HDMI output, Bain said.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36639/PlayStation_Vita_Dev_Kits_Priced_Under_2000_Euros.php

Very nice. Then again, the article links to a 2006 article indicating the PSP dev kit cost had been lowered to $4,256, so there's that.

Finally, John Koller, director of Hardware Marketing at SCEA, told IGN that the PS3 is still profitable at the lowered price in an interview that's surprisingly bland, except for this:
    "We're opening our arms for the Xbox 360 and Wii owners to come over," Koller said. "There's a real opportunity for those consumers to be able to play, what we view, are the best games in the industry on the PS3 this fall.

"There's a significant number of Xbox 360 and Wii owners who would like that second console and want to have the opportunity to play these exclusive games and content experiences, and this new price point allows them to do that."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1188212p1.html

"We're your second console!" is definitely a lot humbler than how Sony started this gen.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    After Torchlight on XBLA I'm very ready for Diablo 3 on consoles.

Portables, I hope. Either or both.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I don't think it would end up on a portable (possible?) but definitely on 360/PS3. They can whore their real money auction house on those platforms easily.

Minding if a 360 Diablo 3 didn't require me to be online all the time to play (like the PC version) I would definitely buy it. Sometimes my internet just sucks and I feel the need to stab mans while it's down. I would definitely be into that.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    I bought a PS3 two months ago.
    fuuu.png

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Yeah if the 360 versions avoid the 'always on' bullshit I'll grab one used at some point. I'm not thrilled with the direction the game's going overall but I' still give it a shot if it didn't have always online authentication.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Yeah if the 360 versions avoid the 'always on' bullshit I'll grab one used at some point. I'm not thrilled with the direction the game's going overall but I' still give it a shot if it didn't have always online authentication.

I would think it would have to avoid that issue to be on consoles. Which if D3 is announced for consoles, I'll definitely be picking it for the 360 over the PC. Besides the extra features, I think the Diablo series would translate well onto a console.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Also, is ABBA really that popular with the younger crowd? I mean, yeah, they're the best Swedish pop group ever.. but still...

Probably not. But there is that shitty movie and Broadway show.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I don't know if Sony or MS will cert a non MMO that lacks Single Player. They haven't before. Would they make an exception for ActiBlizz? Maybe.

You don't have the same piracy problems on those two consoles though. Sure, you can pirate, but you can't pirate and play online.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I don't know if Sony or MS will cert a non MMO that lacks Single Player. They haven't before. Would they make an exception for ActiBlizz? Maybe.

You don't have the same piracy problems on those two consoles though. Sure, you can pirate, but you can't pirate and play online.
    Well, AFAIK both MS and Sony have been after Blizzard for a console version of WoW forever, maybe this is the best they could manage?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Not having that I understand, WoW would take a ton of work to get on a console.

They've basically been hinting at a console version of D3 since the beginning, this became practically set in stone after beta discussions began.

If it only had online multiplayer though it would become something of a sticky issue for MS. Having to pay for Gold to be able to play a retail, non F2P game? I don't think they'd want that.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Even Shadowrun had the most shallow of singleplayer experiences. It's rare enough that they allow some games to require a HDD. But they simply cannot plan that every person who buys a game has the internet.

This seems highly unlikely.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Carmack's too busy writing game engines ins less than 10 minutes, or beating guys up with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, or beating Chuck Norris at arm wrestling

Or building rockets.
    cloudeagle wrote:
    "We're your second console!" is definitely a lot humbler than how Sony started this gen.

Isn't this how the generation started? Microsoft and Sony both were like "yea, you'll own our system and a Wii!" while Nintendo rubbed their hands together and laughed maniacally, possibly petting a cat sitting on the arm of their chair?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    No, that was Microsoft saying you could buy a 360 and a Wii instead of a PS3. Sony was the one telling you to get a second job to afford it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    ... WELL I'm so glad Nintendo decided to join in on the fun!

Anyway, there's a thread up in G&T right now regarding a comment Gabe Newell made. He says that Valve needs to convince EA to come back, to Steam that is. It made me post this on Twitter just now, and figured it would make good discussion fodder for us.
    So are digital distribution platforms the next unnecessary internal war of the video game industry?

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    And Square-Enix hates Europe: New Deus Ex will be region locked.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/17/deus-ex-human-revolution-is-region-locked/

What a shame.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wonder if Sony will be able to attract any indie developer attention with that low price point for devkits. If it works, the Vita will be pretty bitchin'.