As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One Fish, Two Fish, Dead Fish, New Fish [CHAT]!

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, when it rains it pours!

Lost job. Step dad dies. And now my computer died too!

I guess the tiny upswing is that I get the new computer that I've been saving for. Ohhh boy, it's gonna be nice.

Sublimus on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is pretty rad:

http://www.lytro.com/picture_gallery

I guess this company made a camera that somehow captures all levels of focus simultaneously, and lets you determine the focus you want after the fact. Clicking on different areas of the pictures here refocuses them to that spot.

Given I'm going to guess that this is eventually going to cost way more than it's worth for the initial tech, but it's still neat. It'd be interesting to see if this eventually works its way into 3d video stuff, using sensors on your eyes so the image automagically refocuses on what your eyes are trying to focus on.

This just makes me wonder what the hell cameras will be like in 10-30 years. Will the term SLR mean anything at all anymore?

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Sub: :( Didnt you just get that job, what happened? Sorry for your loss too, sympathies all around.

Iruka on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Sub, so sorry to hear. I don't even want to imagine that.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Sublimus wrote: »

I guess the tiny upswing is that I get the new computer that I've been saving for. Ohhh boy, it's gonna be nice.

:( Jeez, that's terrible.

I guess we can be unemployment buddies now though, I just got laid off today as well.

During my supposed "vacation".

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited June 2011
    :( x2! Bacon I thought you also just got that job! Sad times!

Iruka on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sorry to hear that guys :( I hope things begin to look up

ninjai on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Where are you living at these days, Ahab?

edited June 2011
    Iruka wrote: »

Well, I started in September...so this job lasted about as long as most of my other jobs did. (Not the most stable thing, working in this industry).

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited June 2011
    Just got done running 3 miles in IOTV (body armor(=+40lbs))

ninjai on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy crap dudes, so sorry to hear about the job losses. I'm sure both Bacon and Sublimus will find jobs.

Sublimus wrote: »

My condolences, Sub.

New computers are nice. Are you going to build yours? It can be sort of therapeutic.

Tam on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    During my supposed "vacation".

That's when I got laid off, too!

(in the past, I'm currently employed at a job I hate)

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My butt hurts so bad I just want to cry. And I have work tomorrow.

I've been to the doctor twice already. Nothing is working!

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

have you tried a butt doctor

Brolo on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Well, I started in September...so this job lasted about as long as most of my other jobs did. (Not the most stable thing, working in this industry).

THere's a concept art position at my studio how do you feel about moving to calfiornia?

PROX on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PROX wrote: »

THere's a concept art position at my studio how do you feel about moving to calfiornia?

Moving back to California.

rts on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Road sign as Bacon gets near the California border

"WELL WELL LOOK WHO CAME RUNNING BACK"

Tam on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolo wrote: »

have you tried a butt doctor

I hear Santos L Halper is pretty good and works on the cheap.

farbekrieg on
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I find myself either trying for another job, or since that seems to be a slow process, trying for a second job. 2nd job is proving difficult as well. I applied for a job at AMC theaters. No call backs.

Their application doesn't simply ask you if you have ever committed a felony, they ask you for intimate details. If that's not enough though, they have a second box for a second felony.

"What did you do? Rape a person? ...hmm, that's pretty bad. Anything else? You killed a person too! Well.... I guess we'll still consider you. You're still better than some of our other candidates."

And yet with 11 years experience as a manager, I get Zero calls.

bebarce on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bebarce wrote: »
    I find myself either trying for another job, or since that seems to be a slow process, trying for a second job. 2nd job is proving difficult as well. I applied for a job at AMC theaters. No call backs.

Their application doesn't simply ask you if you have ever committed a felony, they ask you for intimate details. If that's not enough though, they have a second box for a second felony.

"What did you do? Rape a person? ...hmm, that's pretty bad. Anything else? You killed a person too! Well.... I guess we'll still consider you. You're still better than some of our other candidates."

Maybe they want a manager who's raped somebody.

NightDragon on
    edited June 2011

I'll pass the job along to my bosses then. After what they did with my position and salary, they definitely qualify as rape managers.

bebarce on
    edited June 2011

Intimate crime details? Theater chain?

You fool, they are just looking for the person who can make up the coolest sounding crime spree so their clerks know who they can put out front to sell more tickets for Crank 3.

You write about movies, this should be a walk in the park.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited June 2011

I'll pass the job along to my bosses then. After what they did with my position and salary, they definitely qualify as rape managers.

"We need someone to manage all these rapes. Get Johnson on the line!"

PROX on
    edited June 2011
    Well those rapes aren't going to manage themselves. Imagine the missed deadlines, the productivity loss... hell poor quality control.

bebarce on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bring out the dickwolves (too soon?)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Which manager will get the fear and respect of their employees?

Mr Experience with a college degree white shirt and a tie?

Or Rapey McCornhole who is on work release from prison.... lets just say you dont want to be called into his office for poor performance.

farbekrieg on
    edited June 2011
    I wish I had at the very least, a nickel for every time I really hit it off with a girl only to find out she's not single. Which I'm pretty certain is the case now.

Back to my self-imposed celibate artistic Monkhood.

edited June 2011
    I sick of this life man. I want to liiiive.

PROX on
    edited June 2011
    I swear that every time I turn around, google has changed something. Though, isolating my results to the "face" category is kinda cool.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    Those are some major changes to Google during these last few days. Lookin' good.
    What do you mean by isolating my results to the "face" category?

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've only noticed that the bar up the top has turned black, and a few small cosmetic changes here and there. What else has changed?

EDIT: Ooooh search for an image using an image, that's pretty cool.

Flay on
    edited June 2011
    The black bar was new for me yesterday or so?
    But today my results are also being shown differently.
    For the first time i also noticed "something different". I googled "face" and it suggested "backside". Heh.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

What do you wanna do? Go travel, Prox! Somwhere faaaaar!

MagicToaster on
    edited June 2011

Man I'm in the same boat, after this fucking shenanistan, or afghanigans I'm through with this shtick, and I'm doing something radically different...

ninjai on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    I don't suppose any of you guys have google + invites to hand out do you? I really want to try it out. It looks super cool.

Grifter on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The heck is Google +?

EDIT: Further evidence that Google will soon rule the world, it seems.

(I, for one, welcome our google overlords.)

Flay on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish I had at the very least, a nickel for every time I really hit it off with a girl only to find out she's not single. Which I'm pretty certain is the case now.

Are you me?
    Back to my self-imposed celibate artistic Monkhood.

Oh... you're artistic, never mind

:P

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    FOAuy.jpg

Grifter on
    edited June 2011
    Flay wrote: »
    EDIT: Ooooh search for an image using an image, that's pretty cool.

FINALLY google has reverse image search!

Also, Flay, that school you're enrolling into looks great!

Also, Also, i too crave google + invites.. Looks like they closed the invite process down temporarily.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    (Slow response.....No computer)

Thanks for all of the well wishes everyone!

Iruka: After three weeks of interviewing with that place, they tell me 'we've decided to go with another candidate'. But I know someone who works there (why I applied in the first place) and she said that they actually hired no one... Is it that hard to say 'you're not the candidate we're looking for'? You really have to lie? Crazy! haha

Tam: While it is not the most economical, I'm getting a 27" iMac. Yes, Macs are expensive, but it's what I really want, and I would be less happy if I got something else just because of the price tag. I'm ordering it today!

Sublimus on
This discussion has been closed.