Options

[L.A. Noire] Use spoiler tags or you get 3 stars

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, Phelps screwed the pooch on The Anthony Case, huh?

One star.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I'm playing this first round with no resets. If I botch an investigation, I'm letting the game take me where it will. I'm liking it so far.

Yes, we all set out with this intention. And then the game totally screws you with a question you CLEARLY should have gotten right, and... well, you're not cheating, you just want to see what the fuck it wanted you to say, so you understand how the damn game thinks...

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have played through every case with someone watching me play, and I've not save-scummed. Every single time I just didn't see why i was wrong, the person watching has clearly informed me why I picked a bloody stupid bit of evidence. Generally, it's not being too obscure.

Also, why do people seem to dislike homicide, other than the weird, out of place action sequences? I just finished it last night.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    People dislike Homicide?

Thats like... the meat of the game. The best parts...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    People dislike Homicide?

And it's impossible to get right.
    You have choices between two people who didn't do it.
    That kind of thing's good for a story, but when you're controlling it, it feels wrong to have failure be the only option.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    People dislike Homicide?

I felt as though the narrative arc of homicide didn't fit with the games overall story.
    It's also painfully obvious you're going after the wrong people and who the real killer is by like the second or third case.

My biggest issue with the game is that I have a hard time enjoying it fully when I spend most of my time yelling, "Take the fifth you fucking moron." at my t.v.

Zafina on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zafina wrote: »
    My biggest issue with the game is that I have a hard time enjoying it fully when I spend most of my time yelling, "Take the fifth you fucking moron." at my t.v.

The right against self-incrimination didn't become clearly codified until the 1960s.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Supreme Court ruled that the government cannot punish a criminal defendant for exercising his right to silence, by allowing the prosecutor to ask the jury to draw an inference of guilt from the defendant's refusal to testify in his own defense. Griffin v. California, 380 U.S. 609 (1965). In Griffin, the Court overturned as unconstitutional under the federal constitution a provision of the California state constitution that explicitly granted such power to prosecutors.

In 1947, not cooperating with the cops could itself be considered as evidence of guilt by the state of California.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Zafina wrote: »

The right against self-incrimination didn't become clearly codified until the 1960s.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Supreme Court ruled that the government cannot punish a criminal defendant for exercising his right to silence, by allowing the prosecutor to ask the jury to draw an inference of guilt from the defendant's refusal to testify in his own defense. Griffin v. California, 380 U.S. 609 (1965). In Griffin, the Court overturned as unconstitutional under the federal constitution a provision of the California state constitution that explicitly granted such power to prosecutors.

In 1947, not cooperating with the cops could itself be considered as evidence of guilt by the state of California.

Really? That's actually kind of scary. While I got your attention what's the situation about
    The DA's office having it's own investigators
    or
    Adultery being a crime
    ?

Zafina on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just beat it. Impressions:
    I could see Cole's death coming from a mile away. I guess I understand why they did it, but having me play an entirely different character for the last 3 cases and knowing it was inevitable sort of dulled the impact of that.

I didn't like how many times I was forced to lock up someone I knew was innocent. I get the point, but it's hard for me to feel like I'm doing more than moving the train along the rails when idiocy is my only option. At first I got a sort of Phoenix Wright vibe from the interrogations, but I ended up preferring that sort of game over this. Everything is so ambiguous with the Doubt, Truth and Lie system. More often than anything else, Doubt was the right choice, but I was always nervous about picking it because you never know when Cole is going to start screaming at the small child he is talking to for no reason. In the end, it ended up being a choice between, "I'm going to be nice to you!", "I have evidence that what you're saying is a lie," or "I'm a fucking psycho with a badge! Spill the beans or I'll take you outside and run you over! With my car, or possibly a car belonging to someone else!"

The biggest problem I can see is that Phelps is supposed to be the fall guy to draw attention away from the Housing Syndicate, which is involved in burning houses down. So... the guy who has been consistently solving unsolvable cases gets reassigned to Arson? Are you kidding me? It doesn't even matter that they kept the pressure on him to keep him from investigating the avenues they didn't want. The fact that they had him assigned to Arson ended up bringing other people into the mix and brought their whole house of cards crashing down. Why not just assign him to Traffic again, or bust him down to walking a beat? For me, this was an even bigger plot hole than the one in Heavy Rain.

Overall, I enjoyed it. The faces were especially something to see. I just think the story fell apart in the last few cases.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah I agree with many of you.
    Personally I had the best time in patrol and traffic, solving random cases and figuring out what's what.
    Once homicide set in it felt weird, for the reasons mentioned by others
    the obvious fact that I had no choice but to make a conviction which would be wrong either way.
    Then once I was moved to vice and
    the whole conspiracy business started to unravel I started to lose interest and roll my eyes a little bit.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Re: the ending:
    I would pay Rockstar $10 for nothing more than the opportunity to put a bullet in the skull of that fuck Earle. After beating him to a bloody pulp. Seriously. Fuck that guy.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So I just finished this and the whole game felt unfinished. The level of polish about halfway through fell away, I started getting really weird problems with the facial animation, often at crucial moments. The plotting where there's an overarching plot to several cases is awful, and the way they tried to weave three seperate plots together sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. The characterisation of cole in the later stages of the game
    Was sloppy at best. They spend a while building up this really clean character, then bring the Elsa romance out of absolutely fucking nowhere. His waste of men is inconsistent with his apparent intelligence, and the massacre in the cave at odds with his diligence.

Also wtf to the bit with the god damn flamethrower.

However, I still overall liked the game. it just felt incoherent, and I my impression is something along the lines that bondi recorded a whole shitload of stuff, but never actually made a functional game with it, and rockstar came in to pick up the pieces.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The more that comes out about the working conditions, the more I'm wondering what LA Noire could have actually achieved with better management and a damn editor.

MacNamara writes great dialogue (The Getaway's script is seriously under-rated) and sets up a world beautifully, but he can't map out a plot worth a damn. In other words, its a bit like George Lucas and the prequels. Every writer needs an editor. Fact.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My Wife and I are terrible at this game. We're like autistic and can't read the facial expressions at all. That and my driving is terrible. My wife make the partner driver everywhere.

BTW, do the depts you're assigned to go traffic, homicide, and then the other ones? or is it random? I think Homicide is like the most prestigious so why is it the 2nd dept I'm in.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The desks you're assigned to aren't random. There are four desks. The first two are traffic and homocide. The next two are:
    vice and arson.

Iirc, there was a burglary desk before traffic but it was cut due to disk space reasons.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I just finished this and the whole game felt unfinished. The level of polish about halfway through fell away, I started getting really weird problems with the facial animation, often at crucial moments. The plotting where there's an overarching plot to several cases is awful, and the way they tried to weave three seperate plots together sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. The characterisation of cole in the later stages of the game
    Was sloppy at best. They spend a while building up this really clean character, then bring the Elsa romance out of absolutely fucking nowhere. His waste of men is inconsistent with his apparent intelligence, and the massacre in the cave at odds with his diligence.

Also wtf to the bit with the god damn flamethrower.

However, I still overall liked the game. it just felt incoherent, and I my impression is something along the lines that bondi recorded a whole shitload of stuff, but never actually made a functional game with it, and rockstar came in to pick up the pieces.

Yeah I agree. I mean the whole
    Cole being a shitty leader, you can bullshit something along the lines of "he's matured since then, he was just a young kid looking for glory in the wrong place" or something like that. But the Elsa romance? Wow that was all sorts of stupid. It totally killed my immersion in the game because, yeah they didn't even give a background to it. It's just all of the sudden my character is banging some chick. What? When did this happen? I was very frustrated.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I took the phantom something or other car on a missoin.

And somehow when I drove to the crime scene, whne I cam back to my car it had no hood, or passenger door, and didn't run.

And during the mission I didn't really cause much mayhem during the chase scene, hit one car but only slightly, and my damages total was 11k. Did pretty eh on the questioning too(goldene butterfly) but not 1 star bad. But that's what I got!! My first not 4 star is a 1 star.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mwoody wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I'm playing this first round with no resets. If I botch an investigation, I'm letting the game take me where it will. I'm liking it so far.

Yes, we all set out with this intention. And then the game totally screws you with a question you CLEARLY should have gotten right, and... well, you're not cheating, you just want to see what the fuck it wanted you to say, so you understand how the damn game thinks...

lol. I feel the same way.

Here's one thing that I figured out very very late in the game, that I think might be of help to some people still playing the game to help with the "where the fuck did that response come from" reaction.

If you think they're being shady (which, to be fair, is actually usually reasonably obvious), always choose lie. Cole will then accuse them of something, and they will say something to the effect of "fuck you, can you prove that?."

Here's the thing, sometimes the thing that you accuse them of was NOT what you thought you would be accusing them of. Sometimes it's just some sort of crazy leap in logic that only the Bondi Team could've thought of. So, review your evidence, see if you really can back up your accusation.

If you can't, just back out of the accusation, and hit "doubt."

It breaks the immersion a little bit, but IMO, the Doubt/Lie mechanic is broken in this game.

I've chosen doubt, and Cole will go ballistic, and accuse them of murder/arson or whatever, when I really just thought that they were hiding something. Likewise, sometimes you're not really sure what you'll be accusing them when you choose lie. This gives you an idea, before you commit.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone still playing the game. I'm not sure this was super obvious, but helped me (again, only when I realized it toward the very very end of the game :/).

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The black Caesar is the absolute worst for stupid screwy logic with regard to lies.
    You can directly accuse Jermaine Jones, I think it is, of using Ramez Removals as a distributor, in secret compartments in various furniture. However, it seems if you've not actually been to Ramez removals yet, you can't actually use the fact you've found secret compartments in two separate places containing morphine delivered by Ramez removals. They really should have used tighter logic on that.

It really does seem to me that they accidentally bumbled into a good game here, rather than actually planning one. Or possibly rockstar just fixed it up as best they could and sent it out into the world.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It really does seem to me that they accidentally bumbled into a good game here, rather than actually planning one. Or possibly rockstar just fixed it up as best they could and sent it out into the world.

Yes, all the press about Team Bondi right now seems to indicate that McNamara is a hack, that the game he was developing would have been dropped, and he just accidentally found the tech and Rockstar fixed/made the game.

I wonder what Rockstar could do without McNamara hanging around their neck. Hopefully they own the IP, which the should based on the money they pumped in (first case of a publisher owning an IP that I would agree with).

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I've been told they wanted to make Bondi into a new Rockstar studio, but they found working with them so distasteful that isn't happening.

I don't know that they necessarily need the brandname though. I think if they just put out a similar game, people'd like it. It just depends how much they invested in making that one known.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been told they wanted to make Bondi into a new Rockstar studio, but they found working with them so distasteful that isn't happening.

I don't know that they necessarily need the brandname though. I think if they just put out a similar game, people'd like it. It just depends how much they invested in making that one known.

They could easily make Bondi "Rockstar Sydney" if they acquired it and then jettisoned McNamara. I can't think, given what we've read about the game's development, that he's crucial to that studio's success in any way.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Dr. Worm wrote: »

They could easily make Bondi "Rockstar Sydney" if they acquired it and then jettisoned McNamara. I can't think, given what we've read about the game's development, that he's crucial to that studio's success in any way.

But from what we've also read, bondi doesn't really have many other permanent members, so there's no point incorporating them anyway.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lewisham wrote: »

Yes, all the press about Team Bondi right now seems to indicate that McNamara is a hack, that the game he was developing would have been dropped, and he just accidentally found the tech and Rockstar fixed/made the game.

I wonder what Rockstar could do without McNamara hanging around their neck. Hopefully they own the IP, which the should based on the money they pumped in (first case of a publisher owning an IP that I would agree with).

Yep, they own it. I expect they'll take the series and develop it internally from now on (ala Red Dead and Max Payne).

Anyway, just finished the game and all I can really say is, eh.
    The facial animations were surprisingly good but whoever directed the actors really needed to make sure they not over-act. And the rest of the games animations were awful, though considering the circumstances, their animation 'team' did pretty well (for one guy through most of the games development).

The story and writing were about the same as Heavy Rain to be honest, maybe even worse. The procedural stuff at the beginning was actually pretty interesting but then you get into their idiotic grand conspiracy shit and it falls into the same trap. And its all very inconsistent. Cole's character jumps around so often it's hard to keep track of. Incompetent? Genius? Asshole? Nice guy? Make your fucking mind up. One part that strikes out to me is when he and his partner were arguing in the car and they sounded like they hated each other. Very next cutscene and they're buddy buddy.

All that said, I think it managed to do some interesting things that I hope is improved upon by other, more competent developers. A lot like Heavy Rain actually, though I think Quantic Dream can actually improve upon Heavy Rain in the future, whereas I don't think we'll ever see a new Team Bondi game come out. They managed to piss off Rockstar, home to long development times, enormous budgets and shit management, no-one else will even want to get close to that disaster of a studio.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

The facial animations were surprisingly good but whoever directed the actors really needed to make sure they not over-act.

Overacting is really the only option, though.
    These are all actors, so they all know how to 'act' honest, but that's not going to help from a gameplay perspective. And their acting while they were actually doing/saying something was pretty good and believable.
    The problem is that it's pretty much required that they finish their line then get to the point in the script that says YOU JUST LIED, and have to start twitching their face for five minutes while they wait for the player to decide.

I think it'd work better if the game paused after they give their line, so you have to make the decision based on how they acted while they were speaking (which I generally had no problem with, as some acted guilty, and others manage to cover it well until they got to the LOOK SHIFTY animation afterwards. If that bit hadn't been there, there are some who would have fooled me, and others I would have believed if I didn't already have evidence that contradicted them).

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Finally beat this yesterday. I liked the idea of the Army flashbacks and the newspapers to fill in some of the gaps, but the overall story was incredibly disjointed, like a lot had been left on the cutting room floor. I think I would have preferred no overarching plot, with a new cop playable on each desk.

More than anything though, it makes me want the next GTA game.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    my roommate would occationaly sit down and watch me play and during a cut scene or newspaper he would ask me questions about who was who and what they were doing and I would have to respond "I've been playing this for a week and even I dont know"

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Wife and I just beat it. We enjoyed it but felt it was too short and not open enough for exploration and some of the cases were just waaaaaaah?. We really enjoyed the story though and felt it was interesting and fun and fit with classic noir themes.

Overall I give it an 8/10.

• Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    Basticle wrote:
    my roommate would occationaly sit down and watch me play and during a cut scene or newspaper he would ask me questions about who was who and what they were doing and I would have to respond "I've been playing this for a week and even I dont know"

Yeah, I just beat it last night after about 30 hours of disjointed playing, and the plot never seemed to come together as a whole, although I was able to at least figure out what was going on overall.

I think they got a bit too ambitious with the plot, really. Starting in media res is fine, but the episodic flashbacks combined with the multi-layered schemes within schemes of the main plot line PLUS the homicide story arc made things a bit too complex for a tightly told game.

This was a good first effort. Assuming Rockstar doesn't completely wipe their hands of Team Bondi, I would be very interested to see how a sequel plays out.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Any word on the system reqs for the PC version yet?

• Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    Well now I'm conflicted what I played of the game before it brutal murdered my PS3 was cool. They are making a PC version so I could in theory play it on something that wont overheat and die. Going off the devs track record of killing hardware though the game will probably erase the root directory of whatever drive it's installed on. Or has rockstar taken this away from bondi and given it to someone that knows what they are doing for the pc port?

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    Necropost - I just started playing this game and it feels like a Phoenix Wright game that you can lose, which is not a good thing. The first mission, at the shoe store, I played once and didn't get the witness questioning perfect, which bothered me, so I restarted the mission. Had to redo the clue gathering to get back to the witness part, which was annoying, but I got the questioning right this time. Tried to drive off to the jewelry store and it said I contaminated the crime scene somehow even though I drove straight away from the curb. Had to redo the mission from the start again. Go through everything again, get in the car again, it says I contaminated the crime scene again. The next time, I just run to the jewelry store. Chase the perp, catch the perp, grill him, pick the wrong interrogation option. I start from scratch yet again but this time I google the answers.

So my choices are to either play the game with a GameFAQs cheat sheet next to me, or play through the game accepting many numerous failures. Either way - yuck.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Don't restart when things go wrong, your annoyances are a result of your own actions. This is a film noir based video game, mistakes are going to be made and are meant to be made. You're not supposed to be ace pro top cop, you're flawed. If you play to be perfect you're playing the wrong game.

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Finally got around to playing The Naked City. That was pretty underwhelming. Contained my two least favorite parts of the game:
    Vehicle tail section, immediately followed by on-foot tail. Awful, the both of them.
    Messed up a couple key interviews something awful, though. 3 stars seemed generous by the end.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I'm finally getting around to watching Mad Men.

Did L.A. Noire and Mad Men have the same casting director or something? There are quite a few actors that are in both.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    Is this coming out for the pc or what?

Tired of waiting

Not today.
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Is there any direct gameplay impact on getting 3-4 stars instead of 5 (i like to cause mayhem when i drive, if my partner doesnt need to change his underpants after a jaunt across the city, i feel i have let the city down).

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    So I'm finally getting around to watching Mad Men.

Did L.A. Noire and Mad Men have the same casting director or something? There are quite a few actors that are in both.

There's a cross-over of actors in the order of about 50, IIRC

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I just finished this today (WHY WON'T YOU SYNC MY TROPHIES PROPERLY, PS3?), and I think I will just be echoing everything that has been said here.

I really enjoyed the game overall, but I'm not sure how to quantify it. The gameplay isn't especially outstanding. The atmosphere of the time period is just amazing. The clue hunting is a pretty mindless adventure game. The driving is GTA without the mayhem. Except when you are chasing a suspect, when they can pull off all kinds of crazy stuff and keep going, but I hit a tiny outcropping on a wall in an alley and stop dead in my tracks. The shooting is like GTA mixed with a bit of clunkiness (maybe "realism" is a better word) that seemed kind of reminiscent of the first Mafia game. Still decent for when it was needed, but nothing great. The animation is incredible, but sometimes the split body/head acting was really apparent, particularly on Cole. I liked the interview mechanism, but I was really frustrated when I had to choose between Doubt and Lie. I know there were sometimes multiple pieces of proof for a lie, but I thought I could explain why something was a Lie, but the game didn't think so. I think they could have implemented some kind of branching interview process where you can Doubt something, and then that makes them slip on something else, that then allows you to catch them in a lie with a piece of evidence. I mean, real cops don't just get one shot at proving whether or not a person is lying. I didn't mind so much that the game could continue no matter how badly I messed up, but at least give me a chance to get 5 stars without getting every single clue and interrogation correct.

With all of that being said, I somehow feel like this was a great game, and I am enjoying playing through all of the cases over again and picking up on some of the references to major players in the endgame. I would heartily recommend this game. It is really an experience worth playing.

Specific spoiler-related discussions follow.

Traffic desk: I liked the first two cases a lot. Maybe because they made me feel smart when I got them.
    In the first one, I predicted that the blood in the car was not Adrian's, but I wasn't disappointed. I liked how the evidence unfolded.
    In the second one, I liked how the pieces fit together once you find the knife in the trash and the increased insurance policy.

Homicide:
    Of course they are all attributable to the Black Dahlia Killer. I was happy when I remembered about halfway through the cases that I had met the temp bartender in the first Homicide case. I don't know how obvious it was to you guys, but I felt great when I was getting a hunch about that guy. I didn't particularly like how you're putting away the last couple of guys even though you kinda know better. All told, though, I think it was probably my favorite part of the game.

Vice:
    First: Roy Earle is a dick. He was a good villain, really, but I didn't like how he was so obvious and sneering about blacks, women, or whoever. They had him tip his hand as being corrupt way too early. Second: I saw the Elsa thing coming, and really didn't like the characterization of Cole beginning that affair. I wouldn't do that if I was trying to redeem myself as a cop post-war, and there was absolutely no backstory to Cole's relationship with his wife and kids, much less any foreshadowing that it was falling apart and he was ready to jeopardize his career for a singer he was infatuated with. I wish it had been that he was setup to appear to be in a compromising position with her, and then she comforted him and helped him as a friend, even if nobody outside the relationship would ever know the truth.

Arson:
    Yes, why would you put Phelps on the one desk where he can bring down your crazy arsonist-involved conspiracy? Biggs was a little too similar to Rusty, but I felt the partner arc in Arson was the best. I liked Bekowski a lot, but it seems like Phelps and Biggs became proper partners in a natural way, if not friends.

Endgame/overall:
    I kind of liked some of the conspiracy stuff, and it was sort of neat how all three stories tied together in the end. But it was mostly unnecessary. The doctor and Sheldon didn't really need to be involved, and Elsa didn't really need to be a patient. I didn't like the depths of ineptitude that they used to portray Phelps in the war. I think they could have toned that down a bit and still had his sacrifice mean something. I liked the parts where you play as Kelso. It changed the game slightly, so you don't have a partner or the entire police department backing you up. And I agree: Where is my post-game scene/DLC where Kelso takes down the entire establishment? It doesn't even need to be a happy ending. I just kept hoping there was a scene outside the church similar to Cole protecting Sheldon's body from Earle.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just fired this up. I'm maybe two hours in, but I'm really digging it overall. I'm playing with the black and white filter on, hope it doesn't screw me over in any way. (The game told me I can tell what doors can be opened by a yellow glow, but all I see is gray.)

So the writing on this is a lot like Heavy Rain, eh? Good in individual scenes, bit in bad, bad need of an editor? That's a little disappointing.

Actually, I am running into something that's bugging me... when you tackle street crimes, you're encouraged to use as lethal force as possible. For instance, the shoe store robbery. You're chasing two guys to a car in an alleyway, and no other cars nearby. If you aren't fast enough, they'll get into the car and drive away. If you try to tackle one of the guys, he'll pull out a shotgun and instakill you. If you shoot out the car's rear tires, it'll still get away faster than you can run. The only option is to shoot them dead.... before they pull out their guns, and after they only slightly wounded the guy they mugged. That's police brutality if I ever saw it, but if you kill them, the game barely shrugs and moves on.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293