Options

[L.A. Noire] Use spoiler tags or you get 3 stars

13»

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Actually, I am running into something that's bugging me... when you tackle street crimes, you're encouraged to use as lethal force as possible. For instance, the shoe store robbery. You're chasing two guys to a car in an alleyway, and no other cars nearby. If you aren't fast enough, they'll get into the car and drive away. If you try to tackle one of the guys, he'll pull out a shotgun and instakill you. If you shoot out the car's rear tires, it'll still get away faster than you can run. The only option is to shoot them dead.... before they pull out their guns, and after they only slightly wounded the guy they mugged. That's police brutality if I ever saw it, but if you kill them, the game barely shrugs and moves on.

Yeah, the majority of street crimes end with the perpetrator's death. Coming off Red Dead Redemption, I had assumed you could shoot them in the leg for an arrest, but no.

SteevL on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That's a little disappointing, since at least RDR gave you different rewards if you managed to bag a bounty alive rather than dead. Silly me was thinking you'd get better ratings for tackling/incapacitating criminals rather than killing them, but nope.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    So I finished this up. I'm sure I'll probably come to the same conclusions everyone else did: pretty much every individual case was brilliantly done, but they come together messily at best. At least trying to put them together didn't devolve into the stupid bullshit Heavy Rain did, but still. And then there was the endgame:
    Playing as Kelso? Okay, I can go along with that, since maybe there's places he could go that Phelps can't. And I can buy the final driving sequence, since we knew there were a bunch of corrupt cops on the force. But who are all those random thugs you had to wade through in the tunnels to get to Arson Guy? Furthermore, why are they there? The tunnels are a great place to hide out, sure, but having a gang of thugs there with you isn't exactly stealthy. Also, it seems nuts that Arson Guy would even have thugs.

And yeah, Phelp's character didn't really come together much. The war flashbacks didn't really amount to a hill of beans other than introducing some of the other guys you'll meet and that Phelps accidentally drove Arson Guy nuts. I'll also agree with the guy on the last page... having Phelps get involved with the singer would have worked better as something more innocent taken out of context. Or at least a more developed character flaw that's more reflected in the overall plot, a la the tragic hero. Or hell, a classic setup--the singer could have been paid off to try to woo Phelps and get him demoted and stop him from asking dangerous questions.

Ah well. At least I'm digging the DLC so far. Nicholson Electroplating was a blast and I got a big kick out of the historical figure woven into there, and the car salesman in Slip of the Tongue had the most hilarious "tells" by far when he tried to hide stuff.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    So I finished this up. I'm sure I'll probably come to the same conclusions everyone else did: pretty much every individual case was brilliantly done, but they come together messily at best. At least trying to put them together didn't devolve into the stupid bullshit Heavy Rain did, but still. And then there was the endgame:
    Playing as Kelso? Okay, I can go along with that, since maybe there's places he could go that Phelps can't. And I can buy the final driving sequence, since we knew there were a bunch of corrupt cops on the force. But who are all those random thugs you had to wade through in the tunnels to get to Arson Guy? Furthermore, why are they there? The tunnels are a great place to hide out, sure, but having a gang of thugs there with you isn't exactly stealthy. Also, it seems nuts that Arson Guy would even have thugs.

And yeah, Phelp's character didn't really come together much. The war flashbacks didn't really amount to a hill of beans other than introducing some of the other guys you'll meet and that Phelps accidentally drove Arson Guy nuts. I'll also agree with the guy on the last page... having Phelps get involved with the singer would have worked better as something more innocent taken out of context. Or at least a more developed character flaw that's more reflected in the overall plot, a la the tragic hero. Or hell, a classic setup--the singer could have been paid off to try to woo Phelps and get him demoted and stop him from asking dangerous questions.
    Been a few months since I played it, but weren't all those "thugs" actual police officers? Presumably the corrupt kind? They certainly weren't working for the arsonist guy since you see some of them get fried by him as you're running through the tunnels. Either way, it seemed silly to have the tunnels filled with police even though you got there first.
    Ah well. At least I'm digging the DLC so far. Nicholson Electroplating was a blast and I got a big kick out of the historical figure woven into there, and the car salesman in Slip of the Tongue had the most hilarious "tells" by far when he tried to hide stuff.

Zing!

• Options
    SteevL wrote:

Not quite so huh when you factor in the massive mismanagement that lead to the studio essentially setting fire to money over seven years, biting the hands that fed them at every opportunity (Rockstar wanted nothing more to do with them after this game) and managing to seem like they were treating their employees horribly in an industry notorious for treating their employees horribly.

The hilarious thing is that many of the people who worked on this, as well as the writer/director, are now working at another Australian studio making the video game tie-in to Happy Feet 2.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I hope they have to mo-cap a Penguin. Think of the realistic movements!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    now i'm picturing an all penguin sequel to LA noire and it's something i need in my life

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    I'm late to the party but I got this during the Summer Steam Sale. I played about an hour of it so far and I'm enjoying it. I realize its not a GTA clone, but really more of an adventure game. Besides randomness, like doubting a wife who said her husband's glasses were brand new, when I saw they have been repaired and are old, and that results in me saying YOU FUCKING KILLED HIM DIDN'T YOU!!!!!!!! (paraphrasing)

Is there anything I should know going in? Anything tips or tricks wish you knew from the beginning. Any mods for the PC that make the experience better?

The face scanning technology is creepy and cool at the same time!

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I liked this game a lot; real love of genre shown through at every turn. It had some mechanical and storyline problems*, but all the individual cases were great.

The serial killer bit had a good climax but I'd have preferred if most homicide cases had just been, well, homicide cases. I really liked the morphine robbery - land scheme plotline that starts up in Vice, though. The endgame felt like it needed a few more links in the chain of events.

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Actually, I am running into something that's bugging me... when you tackle street crimes, you're encouraged to use as lethal force as possible. For instance, the shoe store robbery. You're chasing two guys to a car in an alleyway, and no other cars nearby. If you aren't fast enough, they'll get into the car and drive away. If you try to tackle one of the guys, he'll pull out a shotgun and instakill you. If you shoot out the car's rear tires, it'll still get away faster than you can run. The only option is to shoot them dead.... before they pull out their guns, and after they only slightly wounded the guy they mugged. That's police brutality if I ever saw it, but if you kill them, the game barely shrugs and moves on.

Yeah, the majority of street crimes end with the perpetrator's death. Coming off Red Dead Redemption, I had assumed you could shoot them in the leg for an arrest, but no.

Yeah, my first perp I kept shooting in the leg but he wouldn't fall down. Next thing I know they're putting him in a body bag. ::shrug::

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this game for the most part, however by the third act I had grown tired of it. And really had to push myself to finish.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)