As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Heresy] Rusty Chains (IC Recruiting)

12346»

• Options
    b0b52000b0b52000 Registered User regular
    First of all, I'd like to be the first to volunteer. Nothing says crazy like a half body replacement surgery.

Atellus grumbles and sits up.

"Did I get him?"

hearing bits and pieces of Kriv's speech he looks around

"I think we should all be alittle tired of living by now, it's an ordeal."

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "By the way, friend Guardsman, congratulations on bringing down this assassin. He looks to have been a very skilled opponent. And speaking of tired, I am off to regenerate my fuel cells. It's been a long day."

Mordekai picks a random cot and falls into it, more dead than alive.

• Options
    Chicago2538Chicago2538 Registered User regular
    Bono goes to one of the cots and falls asleep, looking forward to the raid and the impending action.

• Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Kriv turns his attention away from Nick towards Atellus " Yeah buddy, you got 'em"

He turns back towards Nick and continues "Look, I don't like helping out the drug trade.. but as of now we really ain't got a whole 'lotta say in this matter, you know it? Maybe we can .. y'know, tamper with the Spook a little? Maybe give whoever takes it a little surprise if we're discreet, and we can take care of that asshole Gregori after we figure out what the Nobles are doin' makin' all sortsa' new drugs and such."

(not sure why thats all in italics but I can't change it)

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    I suppose we should take watch then while we rest.

Atellus looks at the remaining bodies and nods

"Well, if being alive has taught me anything it's that you die. Who wants to be the first to make sure the rest of us don't kick it before our work is done? I volunteer first watch."

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    "I'll take second watch then, gives me some time to think up a plan for a succesful ambush."

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "3rd watch" Mordekai mumbles before falling asleep.

• Options
    Bono grumbles "I think three will cover it, but if you become tired Mordekai, just wake me up and I'll happily take 4th."

Also, I go to school at VMI and Hell Week starts tomorrow, so I'm not going to be able to post until like September. Just don't let Bono die, YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH.

• Options
    Kriv mutters something about bedmites and falls over, asleep. The night odors hangs in the air, the burning sensation of processed chemicals and sulfur filling your nostrils as you drift to sleep, or in the case of Atellus, standing watch. You sit, waiting, your body begging for you to take a rest after the beating you took. Your eyes become heavy, your gun seems to weigh ten more pounds than it did before..

roll a +20 check to stay awake, use any skills you find applicable.

Those of you asleep? You sleep fairly well, your wounds feeling less severe, the sleep being quite invigorating. (Everyone gains 100XP!)

Nick, you wake up after this as normal, whether Atellus is awake or not

Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    Atellus grabs his gear and sets out a patrol of the room, checking on each sleeping member for any cut throats or bleeding heads. Nodding vigorously after one circuit, he sits by the door and promptly falls asleep.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Nick wakes up via his alarm, and sees Atellus sleeping in his chair. "Well nothing bad happened, so I guess it doesn't matter much, but we should probably get some wideawake for the next round of watches." He says softly to himself. He checks the entrances, and looks outside the street for any activity. He doesn't feel very drowsy after the short sleep, perhaps he's still adjusting to the local timezones.

1d100=32

• Options
    Mordekai's internal chronometer wakes him up. "WAKE UP" is overlayed on his optics. Time to wake up.

He sits up off his bunk and grabs his lasgun.

"Nick. You're relieved."
    Nick walks back to the bunks and falls asleep.
    Atellus is still snoring.

Mordekai makes sure the door is locked and barred. He checks the hasty barrier over Atellus' leg-hole in the wall. He checks and double-checks in the dead of night. Once everything is to his satisfaction, he sits next to the corpse propped up against the wall.

"It's the graveyard shift for you and me."

He lays his lasgun across his lap and begins inscribing sacred Mechanicus verses into its housing to pass the time.

1d100-20=18
    -20 for the + 20 Toxin gave us. If you want, you can also reduce the difficulty on a check by your bonus in the stat as well. My Perception is 24, so I could've taken off an additional 2 (for 20) but I chose not to.

• Options
    ((I have no idea where Wohn went, and we've lost Bono for a few days, would you guys be down if I reopened this for recruiting while we played?))

The night passes without incident into dawn, as people begin to fill the streets of the cities, guardsmen take up their positions, and workers return to their lives in the Hive factories. Kriv rolls out of his cot with a heavy thud and groans, rubbing his face and picking up a few things from around the office. He gives a tired nod to Mordekai, then looks to Atellus and shakes his head in humor. "He fell asleep, didn't he?"

He walks over to Nick and shakes his shoulder. " 'Ey, buddy. Think of any ambush plans durin' your shift?" He keeps shaking, waiting for a reply, obviously only half awake himself.

• Options
    ((Nope! Feel free as far as I'm concerned. We haven't done so hot in the first two fights we've been in, and more firepower (or chainswords) is always good. However my comrades might have other opinions.))

This puts Mordekai at 500 xp! He has gained a rank and is now a Tech-Wright. He spends 100xp on the skill Medicae. Finally I can heal you guys!

Mordekai puts the finishing touches on his scrimshawing and stands up. "We have a truck, correct? And the enemy truck arrives in a few days at a certain location? Data indicates that we could:

1. Return to the site of our crashed ship. Although the locals would certainly have scavenged for any loose useful items by now, we could attempt to remove the mounted heavy weapons. With the Machine Spirit's blessing, of course. If there were any heavy weapons and we did manage to remove them, then we could use them against our drug-running target. That would give us much-needed firepower.

2. If Kriv knows where the local Mechanicus are, if any are even on this world, we could take the assassin's body to the Machine Temple. As I am now a full-fledged Tech-Wright the body would be under my sole purview. I feel that I am now skilled enough to perform the operation on Atellus, if he wishes it; my Order would have the required technology to keep him alive and healthy while we implanted some of the... the less drastic changes. Besides, it would be good to meet with my brethren and study the assassin's body in a proper setting.

3. As far as the actual ambush goes, obviously sniping positions on the rooftops would be a must. We could invest in some grenades (if the Sheriff knows where to get some) and perhaps make mines to disable the truck. Disable it, but not blow it up. A barrier would have to be built across the street in order to keep the truck from getting away. The Spook should not be damaged (we'll get a bonus!) and so flame weapons and high explosives should be avoided. Fire should be concentrated on the men guarding the shipment, not the shipment itself.

If anyone else thinks of other plans we could implement, feel free to chime in."

• Options
    Atellus stands and raises his hand

"luckily, my ploy of acting asleep fooled our attackers into running away. You're all welcome for my protection, but I wouldn't take it lightly, it's something of a rare good now."

He looks at Mordekai and nods

" I agree with everything you have said so far, let's take a trip to harvest some parts from the crashed ship, then we'll go shopping!"

he claps his hands excitedly

"Mordekai I have just the perfect pair of explosive mines for you in my head, we'll see if we can find them here but they would make your robe look so good during the firefight! And Nick, we have just got to do something about your lack of grenades, but I'm sure Kriv knows the spot to fix all that."

(Recruiting is good for me, more posts the better, also, did we get XP again?))

• Options
    Yep! We got a hundred each. This should bring each of us up to our next rank so we have a larger variety of skills to pick from, both our starting skills and our new rank skills.

"Excellent Atellus! We should leave at once while the day is early. If we're fast enough, we might even go shopping in the afternoon. Although we don't have any money."

"Fellow deputies! And Kriv! Atellus and I are going to the poor crashed ship. We'll return laden with heavy weaponry. Hopefully."

• Options
    Nick has scribbled down a few points on a note during his watch:
    • We need to stop the truck. We can't allow them to run, and hitting moving targets is a lot harder than stationary ones. Block the road, kill the engine, or kill the driver?
    • Keep on foot escape root minimal, and keep amount of available cover minimal. Clear the street of junk if possible, lock doors, bar windows. Perhaps keep one obvious escape route as a trap?
    • Multiple angles, and fire from cover.

• Options
    Kriv eyes over Nick's notes, his mouth twisted in confusion for a minute or so. He then hands the note back, nodding, "I uh, good plans kid. You make sure those happen, alright?

"Atellus, Mordekai, you two go see if you can grab up some of 'em turrets off 'ole Fireside, assumin' that the scum ain't picked it clean already.. damn vultures."

"Nick, you come with me. We'll head into The Hustle, grab us' up some less-than-lethal devices.. Then head to the street 'ole Gregori said they'd be comin' down, set up a surprise for 'em."

"Bono, you guard the office and send Wohn out t' find us if he ever wakes up."

He puts on his clothes, and straps his six revolvers to his hips. "Gonna get to be on the fun side 'ofa ambush for once"

• Options
    "Atellus let's go. We shall take the bounty of the Machine from poor Fireside, in hopes that its weaponry shall eventually be turned on those who felled it."

• Options
    Atellus collects his gear and heads out the door giving a grimace as he passes the hole in the wall

"Next time...."

• Options
    Hello all, I'm going to put this on hiatus for a week or two and try and find more players. I'll send you all a PM when it starts back up, sorry for the wait, I was at PAX/ starting college.

• Options
    No worries boss, I hope someone jumps in, they can play my dead brother!

• Options
    I'm back now!!!

• Options
    Ok!

• Options
    If anyone knows anybody interested let me know. I will keep posting, but with only 2-3 regular posters it might run a bit slow

Kriv starts to head out the door, then stops, spin on his heels, and looks around the office. He glances from corner to corner, and a small frown reaches his lips. "Y'know what, Bono? Just come with us. Ain't really anythin' worth stealin' in here, and I doubt anyone will stab Wohn in his sleep."

He sighs and rubs his eyes, muttering the word "doubt" to himself a couple of times and waving his arm in a "follow me" motion towards the musically inclined Arbitrator.

The walk to Fireside is rather uneventful. The guardsmen patrols seem to of increased, and people shuffle quietly to and fro "The Hustle" and their menial professions. Blood smears are splattered around the husk of ship, the corpses of the two guardsmen presumably dragged out by someone and buried, burned, or dropped in a vat of acid.

Some metal from the frame has already been stripped, but two guardsmen stand attention at the remains now. They eye you as you approach, and one loudly states "Depart, citizen."

• Options
    I think I've recruited one of my friends. No promises though.

"I'll handle this, dear erstwhile companion."

Mordekai approaches the Guardsmen.

"Greetings, Guardsman. I am Tech-Priest Mordekai. I have been sent from the Adeptus Mechanicus to recover as much holy technology as I can from this fallen vessel. My companion is Deputy Atellus Gicker, lately of the Imperial Guard and a proud veteran of the Tranch War. It was he that piloted this poor machine to the ground, it was he that defended it so valiantly. Now, if you two gentles would kindly let us do our work?"

Fellowship roll
    21, a success by one degree

• Options
    Atellus nods at the guardsmen.

"I'd file the requisition forms brothers, but my commissar was killed somewhere near Cadia."

• Options
    The two guards look at one another, obviously confused. The one to the left looks towards Mordekai, trying to keep a blank face.

"Very well, Tech-Priest, carry on." He gives a forward nod of his head towards his companion, and the two walk about twenty feet away, still standing guard near the ship, but not right next to it.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    "Excellent! Thank you for your co-operation, Guardsman. I shall be sure to report it to the Mechanicus."

Mordekai walks up to the crashed frigate. Fireside is barely visible in the wreckage of the nose. He glances at the charring and bullet holes on the hull left over from the battle. Blood stains the inside of the wreckage. Mordekai's overlay reveals that some of it is Mordekai's, some of it is Kriv's, and some of it is unidentified. He moves over to the central console and brings up the third-rate, almost destroyed cogitator. A few quick taps with the mechadentrite and access is granted. He and Atellus sit down in what used to be the cockpit.

"Let's see here, Atellus. What priceless technology can we recover from the remains of dear old Fireside? Weapons? Navigation systems? Engine parts? Power generation? Even (Omnisiah save us) its Machine Spirit?"

More taps, and a flickering dull green holoscreen flashes into view, its color matching the tint of the glass portholes farther back in the hull. It's the schematics of the frigate. The Fireside, broken and pitiful as she is, still has a few more gifts for the Deputies.

"Look here, Atellus," Mordekai whispers. "Technology."

Use skill: "Evaluate"
    1d100-4 vs. 45
    A success by two degrees.

Edit: spelling

Also more music to listen to!

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Atellus looks over the crashed vehicle, walking around it while Mordekai continues his work patting his hand against the broken canopy.

"You tried to kill me..."

Before sighing "I don't blame you though."

He turns and returns to Mordekai

"What have we then?"

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Let me know about your friend Mordekai, I'll keep posting though. Also that music is great

Shifting through the wreckage, you find a handful of useful things. The left mounted cannon is still operational, and mounted. It will take either several men or a vehicle to haul it back to the office or your ambush point, however. The power generator in the right side cannon is still functional as well, and with a little prodding could be turned into a makeshift EMP, or an messy explosion if you'd rather.

The navigation systems are stripped by skulkers already, it seems. Almost anything someone could rip out of the inside is gone.

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Atellus looks at the assembled people and nods, knowing that each member of his group knows what must be done in order to preserve the sacred rights of humanities existence. He gives them each a long. meaningful look before rushing off the way they came.

"I know what must be done my brothers!"

b0b52000 on
  • Options
    "Atellus! It seems that we have both a power generator and a functional cannon! I suppose with a little care the right cannon might be brought back to a functional state... Atellus?"

Mordekai glances out the window.

A green-tinted Atellus is petting the crashed ship and babbling to himself.

"Allrright. Now to contact Kriv and tell him that we need the truck."

He thumbs open his comm-bead.

"Kriv! It's Mordekai. The good news is we're looking at a power generator and at least one cannon, maybe two if I can have a week and half or so to fix the second. If we have parts. If we have tools. But still, a power generator and a cannon! The bad news is that we need that truck to come haul away this stuff. There's two Guard outside, and Atellus and I both are armed, so we should be able to take care of any scavengers."

Mordekai looks outside again.

Atellus is now waving his arms and giving what seems to be a passionate, heartfelt speech to air and assorted rubble in front of him.

"Atellus! Keep on doing whatever it is that you're doing. We have to wait for Kriv to arrive with the truck before we can safely remove this precious technology."

• Options
    ((Where is your friend Captain Marcus this game....is dying...he's our only hope.))

• Options
    ((He's having trouble with the background. I'll call him up today.))

• Options
    ...*cough* *Sputter*...

• Options
    (I know! He did make a character though, and wants to play, I'll bug him about asking Toxin to join when he's on facebook)

• Options
    So sad.