Options

Nintendo fans launching massive campaign to get Wii RPGs localized, Reggie laughs

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    I've gotten some cool stuff out of a modded Wii. Classic Controller support hacked into Donkey Kong Country... Translated Fatal Frame 4... Of course there's the occasional import game, but it's more than that. It's extreeeeeeeme. And since Nintendo has practically no online service to speak of, there's really no consequences.

Can/Will they lock you out of the Shop Channel? That's the one big fear I have over going region free to play Trace Memory 2 and potentially Rhythm Heaven Wii. There are still a ton of Virtual Console and WiiWare games I'd like to buy.

They do it maybe once a year by rolling out an update that becomes a requisite for connecting to the Shop. But guess what, you download one file (from your Wii, no less!) that's usually made available within a day and it's bypassed. You're back on the shop. Pointless.

Btw, it's a lot of fun installing foreign channels on the Wii. Have a copy of Daigasso Band Brothers on DS? Want the Wii channel that lets you connect the game to your Wii to play the music out of your home theater speakers? This is the only way it's gonna happen.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    I've gotten some cool stuff out of a modded Wii. Classic Controller support hacked into Donkey Kong Country... Translated Fatal Frame 4... Of course there's the occasional import game, but it's more than that. It's extreeeeeeeme. And since Nintendo has practically no online service to speak of, there's really no consequences.

Can/Will they lock you out of the Shop Channel? That's the one big fear I have over going region free to play Trace Memory 2 and potentially Rhythm Heaven Wii. There are still a ton of Virtual Console and WiiWare games I'd like to buy.

Yes and no, if any updates are made to the store then you would have to update your wii which could potentially cause issues for a homebrewer. However most of the time the updates wont cause too much of a problem. And when they do the hackers are usually fairly fast to find a work around. Also once the homebrew is on the Wii you should have very little trouble. Most of nintendo's efforts have been focused on preventing installation, which they haven't exactly succeeded at.

edit: And as the above post points out, even if the update would cause issues there are patches that will give you access to the store without the rest of the update.

Road Block on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    Road Block wrote: »

Plus all you need is an SD card and an internet connection. You dont actually have to modify the hardware at all.

Can I still buy WW and VC stuff on a modded Wii?

Yep. The worst-case scenario here is that the shop requires an update to use in the future, and the update might remove your homebrew channel. But even then, there's homebrew software to update only the shop, if you want to keep using it without updating your firmware.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    I suspect the initial "announcement" was going to be a confirmation, and then someone in Nintendo said "fuck that, we're not announcing it earlier".

If the games do come out, this whole thing has been brilliant free publicity for the games.

I don't know, seems like it would be an awfully risky maneuver. They've pissed off a lot of fans and there's no guarantee they'd come back with open arms. Personally, at this point, I wouldn't buy the rainfall games if they came out tomorrow. I've been too burned by the Wii to continue buying games at this point.

But then, gamers continue to surprise me with their bipolar behavior. I'll never give the Xbox 360 a chance after the whole RRoD situation, but people seem to have developed stockholm syndrome and have forgotten all about it in exchange for a pat on the head.

I've wondered what the reaction would be, myself.

Would people be angry at Nintendo for lying to them?

Or would they forgive, seeing it as much like a parent fibbing about one's birthday present in order to maintain the element of surprise? "Aww, shucks, Nintendo... you really had us going there, didn't you! Thanks!"

...followed by a quick hug, and skipping off to play with their newest game.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    As for being burned on the Wii, if it's a good game who cares what system it is on.

While I agree with that statement, the Wii hasn't exactly had enough good games (IMO) to justify the $250 I spent on it, plus controllers and all that crap. And I've tried a lot of games in hope of finding stuff I'll enjoy, but aside from your Mario Galaxies and very small handful of deep titles, the quality library just isn't there. The Wii is a loss, one I've had to spend another $300 to make up for (by buying a PS3). That's left me very cynical, bitter and resistant to spending more money on Wii. It doesn't matter to me if they do the right thing and bring those games to the states, they've already lost me. Bad PR Nintendo, when you lose the fanboys.

yes because not buying them if they come out will teach Nintendo a valuable lesson about them being totally correct about this in the first place.

People are pissing and moaning but if it wasn't this it would be about the Wiiu not including a power juicer ir something .

Well I don't care about "teaching Nintendo a lesson" or whatever. I just don't want to buy any more games that are ugly, feature-light waggle-fests.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    To me $250 on a console that gave me Resident Evil 4: Super Awesome edition is just gravy to me. That on top of the VC RPGs that I play have surpassed the money I spent on a console. Honestly Nintendo has said from day 1 that this console isn't meant to completely replace all your gaming needs, it's meant to complement it. But I can see if people felt burned on the Wii. I normally own all consoles every generation for a reason.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    To me $250 on a console that gave me Resident Evil 4: Super Awesome edition is just gravy to me. That on top of the VC RPGs that I play have surpassed the money I spent on a console. Honestly Nintendo has said from day 1 that this console isn't meant to completely replace all your gaming needs, it's meant to complement it. But I can see if people felt burned on the Wii. I normally own all consoles every generation for a reason.

Yeah, I used to only get Nintendo consoles. N64 might have had game shortages but I was in college at the time and too busy (and poor) to consume more games than it offered. Gamecube was a great, underappreciated system. I would have been fine with another console of Gamecube's caliber. Only problem is that we DID get another Gamecube, only without the stellar library of games.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah, I used to only get Nintendo consoles. N64 might have had game shortages but I was in college at the time and too busy (and poor) to consume more games than it offered. Gamecube was a great, underappreciated system. I would have been fine with another console of Gamecube's caliber. Only problem is that we DID get another Gamecube, only without the stellar library of games.

Yeah I understand that. Since the Gamecube era I've been getting all consoles. I was burned by the N64... Plus exclusive games require it!

urahonky on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I bought my Wii entirely to play Monster Hunter Tri

Even if you go by some absurd $1 per hour metric of game worth, the cost of the Wii+Monster Hunter Tri was still a bargain

Maddoc on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I bought mine for No More Heroes and Castle Shikigami 3, a game that I think 20 people bought worldwide.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    Is there any reason, other than cost, that you yanks can't just import the European releases of these games?

It's pretty easy to make a Wii region free.

It's expensive as all hell.

I fucking waited forever to go back to europe to get copies of Hotel Dusk 2 and Trace Memory 2 and Jam with the band because there is no way in hell I'm paying 80 bucks for a game. I'm not an Aussie!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    While I agree with that statement, the Wii hasn't exactly had enough good games (IMO) to justify the $250 I spent on it, plus controllers and all that crap. And I've tried a lot of games in hope of finding stuff I'll enjoy, but aside from your Mario Galaxies and very small handful of deep titles, the quality library just isn't there. The Wii is a loss, one I've had to spend another $300 to make up for (by buying a PS3). That's left me very cynical, bitter and resistant to spending more money on Wii. It doesn't matter to me if they do the right thing and bring those games to the states, they've already lost me. Bad PR Nintendo, when you lose the fanboys.

It's funny, my thoughts are nearly opposite to yours Ridley.

Nintendo lost me with the N64. I really didn't like the system, hated the controller, and didn't like that for months on end the only games for it was Pilotwings and Mario 64 and that they cost 70 bucks new at stores.

I ended up leaving Nintendo behind and getting a PS1.

I skipped the Gamecube generation entirely.

It was the Wii that interested me in going back to Nintendo. As it turns out I've loved it, and Nintendo won me back as a fan with it. It has some of my favorite games of the generation, and one of the games has become one of my favorite games of all time (SMG2). Not to mention that I have spent many a dollar on the VC and WiiWare service, which gave me the awesome SBCG4AP series. On top of that I've slowly collected a nice selection of Gamecube games I missed last generation.

It has been my favorite system this generation. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Is there any reason, other than cost, that you yanks can't just import the European releases of these games?

I fucking waited forever to go back to europe to get copies of Hotel Dusk 2 and Trace Memory 2 and Jam with the band because there is no way in hell I'm paying 80 bucks for a game. I'm not an Aussie!

I get so many cheapass games, I don't mind when I have to shell out for the occassional pricey one.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I get so many cheapass games, I don't mind when I have to shell out for the occassional pricey one.

Have you guys looked at how much it costs to import Xenoblade? Zavvi.com showed something like US$48 total. That's cheaper than if it were localized and on the shelf in America.

Renzo on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Renzo wrote: »

Have you guys looked at how much it costs to import Xenoblade? Zavvi.com showed something like US$48 total. That's cheaper than if it were localized and on the shelf in America.

Of course then you have to add in shipping charges, which can be quite a lot for imports...

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    skeldare wrote: »

Of course then you have to add in shipping charges, which can be quite a lot for imports...

Zavvi has free shipping. That's what I meant by "total".

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Zavvi has free shipping. That's what I meant by "total".

Interesting, never heard of Zavvi.com before, but it appears you're right.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Shipping games from the UK to the US is NOT expensive. I have a DS game and a Wii game in the transit to the tune of 2 or 3 dollars shipping. And that's for the type that arrives within 2 weeks.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, is Last Story also coming out in EU? If it is, I might have to figure out how to import that and Xenoblade.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Shipping games from the UK to the US is NOT expensive. I have a DS game and a Wii game in the transit to the tune of 2 or 3 dollars shipping. And that's for the type that arrives within 2 weeks.

Looks like you're right. Was basing off of importing from Japan, which can get somewhat expensive.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll happily find you all the best import prices from the UK if you like. That's what I do.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Looks like you're right. Was basing off of importing from Japan, which can get somewhat expensive.

Video games are more expensive in Japan even if you're there. Take that, add convenience fee that the import shops are tacking on for profit, add expensive shipping, and... yeah.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'll happily find you all the best import prices from the UK if you like. That's what I do.

I'll keep that in mind when I hit rock bottom and decide to bite the bullet on Tingle's Magical Rupee Land or whatever it's called.

Sucks that Amazon.co.uk won't ship games to the US. I know Lik-Chang got sued out of business by Sony, but Amazon is afraid, too?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does Amazon UK not ship to the states? I looked online for an answer to that before and they seemed to indicate that they'll ship as long as it comes from Amazon directly. Anyway they aren't the best deal or anything, but back when I wanted Tales of Eternia for PSP I used Gameplay, and they're still around and trustworthy from what I can tell. So if you don't want to look for the absolute best import deal you can use them.

Gilder on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    Does Amazon UK not ship to the states? I looked online for an answer to that before and they seemed to indicate that they'll ship as long as it comes from Amazon directly. Anyway they aren't the best deal or anything, but back when I wanted Tales of Eternia for PSP I used Gameplay, and they're still around and trustworthy from what I can tell. So if you don't want to look for the absolute best import deal you can use them.

According to this they don't.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    International Amazon stores only ship certain items. Video games not being one of them.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Amazon marketplace sellers sometimes do international, though.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Dritz wrote: »
    International Amazon stores only ship certain items. Video games not being one of them.

Yeah. It's pretty lousy when Canada can't even order games or toys or some other things from Amazon.com. I'd love to know why.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »

I've tried it. It still doesn't allow it. If those merchants want to sell games overseas, it won't be through Amazon UK.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't know where I can order the bundle, which is apparently going to be limited. Amazon UK doesn't even have the game for preorder yet.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »

I've tried it. It still doesn't allow it. If those merchants want to sell games overseas, it won't be through Amazon UK.

I guess they must have changed the policy, I have imported some games from Amazon UK, but that was a few years ago.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Welp, preordered my copy from 365games.co.uk, which apparently has Xenoblade as their number one preorder right now. Makes me wonder just how big sales of this game are going to be.

It'll be worth it just for this title screen. This has got to be the most epic title screen ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhom1H77Vo

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I hope it does really well, and NoA feels very silly for passing on it.

That is what I hope.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Welp, preordered my copy from 365games.co.uk, which apparently has Xenoblade as their number one preorder right now. Makes me wonder just how big sales of this game are going to be.

It'll be worth it just for this title screen. This has got to be the most epic title screen ever...

Classy.

Grombar on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

That is what I hope.

For that to happen we'd need a breakdown of the number of copies sent to the U.S. I highly doubt that will ever happen, and there'd be little to no way to verify it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

That is what I hope.

For that to happen we'd need a breakdown of the number of copies sent to the U.S. I highly doubt that will ever happen, and there'd be little to no way to verify it.

Not really, all it has to do is succeed in a Western market.

I mean, the European market isn't an exact analogue, but if it does well enough you could extrapolate that it would at least do comparatively well in the US.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Grombar wrote: »

Classy.

Man I don't know how many times I've just put this song on youtube and just let it sit in the background repeating itself since I found it like a year ago. If it's any indication of the quality of music in the rest of the game than man....yeah.

Kotaku has a video of a guy laying out to nintendo the "deal" pretty well if folks want to watch. All issues about the video itself, the guy does make some good points. However, when he shows some game sales numbers, iirc there are few games that nintendo has released in europe that have sold better than they did in Japan, but they virtually always sell better in the US than either (according to the video, by an average factor of 3.9x the japanese sales).

So, I actually think unless there's some crazy surge, the European sales numbers aren't going to blow anyone away and will sadly probably be used as further logic-defying rational by NoA to not bring them over here.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think this is all a ploy by video game companies to make me stop playing video games.

I mean, there are so many games that aren't coming over or are stuck in limbo, that it infuriates me so much I feel I should just quit.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    At least this seems positive...

• Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    What's the most reliable place to import from (Canuck here)? I see some people mentioning Zavvi...

Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0