Options

Nintendo fans launching massive campaign to get Wii RPGs localized, Reggie laughs

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I had no idea that region locks were still being done. I thought that died out ages ago.

Damn.

Not only are they still being done, Nintendo is on the forefront of anal retentiveness about it by now starting to do it on handhelds.

Yep. Sony's the only one of the three that's gone the opposite direction - mandating Region Free starting with the PS3/PSP generation and continuing it with the Vita.

Nintendo start region locking their handhelds with the DSi (DSi games only, not DS games) and now the 3DS. And every single one of their home consoles has been region locked. But hey, system modding fixes that. >_>

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want to play these games in English, i approve of this.

What I will disapprove of is when, if these games get localized, gamers once again prove they don't deserve nice things and they're the top pirated games (like The Witcher II)

Caswynben on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Modding is going to get harder, because the more "connected" they become, the more features you can have taken away if you get your console banned from using online services.

There's currently no way to mod a 3DS to play out-of-region games anyway, but if there were, it's still not a solution if it causes you to be banned from the eShop, SpotPass, online play and other online features.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Xenoblade's creators respond:

^ http://twitter.com/#!/sorayasaga/status/84328639444942850
    ^ http://twitter.com/#!/mistwalker/status/84462555216617472

@sorayasaga Soraya Saga
    Thanks a lot for hoping its North American release. :)

@shomangaka Thank you for the link. We appreciate all your support. tears...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pre ordered Monado. Of course if they don't localize it I'm equipped to play imports, but I'd rather not bother. Come on, localize it!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    gtrmp wrote: »
    I think we knew that Nintendo gave up on this segment of the 'core gamer' audience when they elected not to localize this:
    sHMh8.jpg

That's because it had a system crashing bug, Nintendo told them to fix it, they didn't.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They could have fixed it themselves, but they didn't want to put forth the effort.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nintendo start region locking their handhelds with the DSi (DSi games only, not DS games) and now the 3DS. And every single one of their home consoles has been region locked. But hey, system modding fixes that. >_>

Do DSi-only games actually exist?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The fact that they already HAVE an English translation of this game and still won't get it localized is just such a joke. "We totally care about core gamers. Until someone makes a game they actually want to play. Then they can go get fucked; I can't squeeze 30 seconds into my schedule to rubber-stamp it. There is after all a chance we might take a loss, even though 99% of the costs are sunk at this point and all we have to do is clear the region lock and stamp some discs.
    If you need me, I'll be doing some cocaine with these strippers in my money vault."

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

Do DSi-only games actually exist?

Only about 3 of them.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's also DSi-expanded games that are region-locked on DSi systems, but still playable on a regular DS. I know Pokemon B/W and Sonic Classic Collection are among those.

Speaking of which, what about all those DS games that never got out of Japan. Soma Bringer and Fire Emblem 12 deserve some love.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    They could have fixed it themselves, but they didn't want to put forth the effort.

In fairness, it is not Nintendo's job to fix problems with games that the developers are too lazy to fix themselves.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I tossed a pre-order in. Translating a game and not releasing it in the US is just silly, and its about time I got a reason to dust off the Wii. Definitely the music that made the decision for me.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jave wrote: »
    There's also DSi-expanded games that are region-locked on DSi systems, but still playable on a regular DS. I know Pokemon B/W and Sonic Classic Collection are among those.

Speaking of which, what about all those DS games that never got out of Japan. Soma Bringer and Fire Emblem 12 deserve some love.

Pokemon B/W isn't locked. I got my girlfriend an American copy and it works fine on her Japanese DSi.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is why my Wii is still sitting in the closet.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »

In fairness, it is not Nintendo's job to fix problems with games that the developers are too lazy to fix themselves.

It's part of localization, very often.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Xenoblade's creators respond:

^ http://twitter.com/#!/sorayasaga/status/84328639444942850
    ^ http://twitter.com/#!/mistwalker/status/84462555216617472

@sorayasaga Soraya Saga
    Thanks a lot for hoping its North American release. :)

@shomangaka Thank you for the link. We appreciate all your support. tears...

Well, the second is TLS creators. But all arround fuzzies.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I pre-ordered but I have no expectations. If by some chance they do announce it I'm just going to cancel my pre-order and pick it up somewhere else.

Nintendo knows good and well all of those pre-orders through Amazon mean nothing. If these games do hit they'll need to do a small ass run or else they going to have a bunch of copies clogging up Wal-Mart clearance sections. Lets be real people. We want these games and that's it. The Internet message board community is a such a small fraction of the buying public we might as well be ants.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tossed in my support for Xenoblade as well. I'm not a huge JRPG guy, but this sounds interesting at the very least and it's also the principle of the thing and how awful NoA has gotten with localization this generation.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Actually at this rate if you are planning on showing support, I'd say wait a week.

Something may surface by then - more likely than not, the game will be pulled from Amazon and you won't have to worry about showing support.

Otherwise, it's going to need that support in a week, when its rank starts slipping.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »

Pokemon B/W isn't locked. I got my girlfriend an American copy and it works fine on her Japanese DSi.
    Wow, really? Could have sworn that games with DSi features (which Pokemon B/W does have) were said to be locked.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Wow, really? Could have sworn that games with DSi features (which Pokemon B/W does have) were said to be locked.

What are the DSi features they have? I haven't noticed any D:

Kaseius on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

What are the DSi features they have? I haven't noticed any D:

Doesn't it have video chat?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I haven't used it, but I guess that'd be it if it does! Yeah, it's strangely not region locked. Thankfully, even!

Kaseius on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    The earthbound community more or less offered to foot the bill to localize mother 3, I don't know why anyone would think nintendo cares about what americans want anymore.
    There's more to the Mother debacle than just that.

Issues like the music borrowing elements from other artists. Very gray area legal stuff, and key people will not budge when it comes to just replacing the offending music.

Shit, I played Mother 3 for a few hours and one enemy theme incorporates the 60s Batman theme. Shit like that.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Last Story officially confirmed for Europe now too (France letting the news out first).

NoE hearing the fan campaign and trolling NoA with the timing of announcement?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mother 3 doesn't have any particular legal issues. Mother 2/EarthBound has several copyright-infringing audio samples, and its VC released was blocked (in Japan, too) because NCL refused to change them. Or that's the story. None of that has been officially confirmed, of course.

The song you're talking about isn't the Batman theme. The beginning of Mr. Batty Twist is similar to the Batman theme, and it's intentionally so, but it's not infringing. There's no sampling, and overall the song is completely different.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mother 3 also came out way too late in the GBA's life.

If the 3ds eshop gets GBA support, perhaps we'll see that there (along with Rhythm Tengoku)

But I doubt they'd put the effort

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Last Story officially confirmed for Europe now too (France letting the news out first).

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCK

me.

This has to be some cruel joke.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm still pissed at Reggie for deciding against releasing Disaster: Day of Crisis in America

Yes, I know it supposedly ended up sucking

No, I don't care. That was one of my most anticipated Wii games.

In spite of that game's issues, I'm still glad I played it. It was a pretty enjoyable experience.

In related news, I want my Trauma Team, Atlus.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCK

me.

This has to be some cruel joke.

Look on the bright side. You can import a copy in English.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yessssssss

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    I pre-ordered but I have no expectations. If by some chance they do announce it I'm just going to cancel my pre-order and pick it up somewhere else.

Nintendo knows good and well all of those pre-orders through Amazon mean nothing. If these games do hit they'll need to do a small ass run or else they going to have a bunch of copies clogging up Wal-Mart clearance sections. Lets be real people. We want these games and that's it. The Internet message board community is a such a small fraction of the buying public we might as well be ants.

They know the pre-orders don't mean a guaranteed sale, sure, but that doesn't mean the preorders "mean nothing." They are simply another channel of gauging public interest, and for the public to communicate their interest. Such campaigns have worked before. I'm not saying it will work here, but a defeatist attitude absolutely never works.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Look.

A few years back Starmen.net arranged a huge PR push to get Mother 3 localized to the point where they collected thousands of fan art, letters, music, and all sorts of stuff, had them all professionally bound in a book, mailed it to Nintendo. Nintendo had a guaranteed sales figure at the minimum.

They were ignored.

It's not gonna happen. Nintendo hates you. They want very little to do with you. They want to sell your mom $15 of aluminum and plastic for $100.

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't get your hopes up cause it's not gonna happen.
    Nintendo wrote:
    "[RPG players] are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

EDIT

The situation with Mother 3 is likely a very lewd sex joke between a man and an underage boy. Something that can easily be changed in text.

Mother 2 samples The Beatles, among other artists, and Nintendo didn't want to cough up the royalties. You'd think a company making money hand over fist would do something nice for their fanbase wouldn't you?

Sheep on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not saying that anything is going to happen based on this campaign. No one is, because how the hell can anyone here know?

But what you're saying is "don't bother trying" which is a philosophy I cannot support. Sometimes it's okay to support seemingly-futile efforts. Especially in this case, where the amount of energy and time involved is negligible.

And the fact remains that some of these campaigns have succeeded in the past. Maybe not with Nintendo, and it is an admittedly rare occurrence, but it has happened, and so it can happen again.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I also don't think it's going to sway Nintendo one bit. However, if you care you should still try. Trying might result in failure - not trying will undoubtedly result in failure.

Personally, I've moved on. Other than Zelda, I don't care about the Wii anymore. I'm perfectly happy with no more games coming out on this turd of a console.

See, I have a defeatist attitude but encourage others to reach for the stars. Don't be like me.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I did not know Mother 3 has such questionable content and licensing issues. I wonder how the legal system is set up in Japan, as these things as they appear certainly won't fly here in the West and would probably invoke a lawsuit or two. Doesn't seem worth it, but then again I'm not a lawyer, CEO of a regional branch or emotionally invested in Mother.

Oh, and on-topic, get your shit together, NoA!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There are two points I feel like shouldn't be forgotten :

1) NoA is NOT responsible for publishing these games. NoJ is in charge of publishing them in Japan, but that doesn't mean NoA has the ability to publish it in America.
    2) The fake math I've seen on the forums posted in the OP is laughable. It doesn't even remotely approach a sure-thing that these games would make money over here. Games are expensive to publish.

That said, convincing Nintendo that there IS a market for these games is valuable time spent, and I am totally in support of that. I preordered all three of these games.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »

Yessssssss

Welp. If NoA doesn't come through, I know what I'm doing.

Renzo on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it possible to make the Wii region-free with the most recent firmware? If they don't get localized I might just buy the Euro releases.

Turkey on