As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo fans launching massive campaign to get Wii RPGs localized, Reggie laughs

• Options
    BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A couple of questions I had while reading through this thread.

1. Would people be launching this campaign if the Wii wasn't experiencing the worst game drought in recent memory?

2. Are people really surprised that Nintendo is practicing this business strategy? It seems pretty par for the course for them at this point.

They can do this because the fans let them and actually support it. Have you seen what happens when someone criticizes Nintendo? They did a masterful job at E3. ....No games for the Wii, 3ds relying on ports of decade old games....LOOK HERE, SHINY TOUCH SCREEN ZELDA!!! The fans eat it up, talking about the next Zelda and Mario in HD. "Hey, but what about the utter lack of games now?" "YOU SHUT UP!! Zelda HD, touch screen thing."

Broktune on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    If Nintendo was a third party, then all they would need to look at is localization costs versus expected return. However, they're not a third party. They have a new portable system that isn't doing all that well and a new home console coming out next year. Deciding to not localize high quality games in genres that are practically non-existent on the Wii when the system is lacking in upcoming releases is a sure-fire way to get a vocal minority highly annoyed at you which is not something you want to have happen when you're trying to sell new hardware.

Nintendo, you want to know how to gain the loyalty of core gamers? Release games they want to play. It's as simple as that.

Especially when Nintendo's stated goal with that new console is to court the exact gamers they're completely ignoring.

Anyway. Sucks. But you guys knew it wasn't gonna happen. Kinda a dick move for them to hold off on three days to tell you what you already knew.

Regardless, I had my Earthbound moment and a new generation has their RPG moment with Nintendo.

The spirit of Yamauichi is very strong.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only reason I haven't sold my Wii yet is that it's full of WiiWare and Virtual Console games that I don't trust Nintendo to carry over to the Wii U. When my brother moves out, he wants the Wii, and he can have it. But when the Wii U comes out if I can't immediately transfer my games, he better follow my instructions. :x

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    would not be suprised if the wii-u will end up having them "ported" to it for NA release.

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I wish we knew what the best selling third party titles on the Wii have been since people stopped caring about it in 2009.

Because I bet they're all pretty low.

Edit: America and Europe only, of course. I don't want no crazy monster hunter shit skewing everything. Or The Last Story, because that would be so counter-intuitive.

Uh, Last Story wasn't a huge release in Japan. I think it sold something like 120,000 in its first week?

A little less. After 10 weeks, it was just shy of 160,000. (Which is more than Xenoblade has sold since its release a year ago.)

And those numbers are probably why we're not getting these games. It looks like the games didn't do all that well in Japan, a place where people actually buy non Final Fantasy RPGs. I can see why they're rather not release them here if that's all they sold over there. Although I still think they should release them over here anyway. They're the platform holder, so it's kinda up to them to blaze the trail for their console. It's doubly important for them since they claim the Wii U will be focusing more on our market, so no better time to start than the present.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    The only reason I haven't sold my Wii yet is that it's full of WiiWare and Virtual Console games that I don't trust Nintendo to carry over to the Wii U. When my brother moves out, he wants the Wii, and he can have it. But when the Wii U comes out if I can't immediately transfer my games, he better follow my instructions. :x

I don't know why you wouldn't trust them after the DSi to 3DS transferring just fine. Shrug.

Anyway, with regard to this situation, I wonder how far the information got before the message traveled back up the chain. Were there frantic meetings of localization management teams? Do we assume Reggie saw this and had the authority to respond this way? Or did it make it all the way to Japan and the response is straight from the big men themselves?

As was pointed out earlier, Golin Harris manages Nintendo's Facebook and Twitter for them. How much do you want to bet they just emailed Nintendo's customer support, maybe got elevated to a middle management figurehead, and the message was passed back without reaching the people who needed to see it?

This isn't a defense of their statement, I just wouldn't be surprised if this "operation" didn't end up resonating throughout the whole company like they wanted it to.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Turkey wrote: »
    These games would certainly make money.

Just not Nintendo money. :(

I'm not so sure they would, honestly. The Tales of Symphonia sequel (Dawn of the New World) on the Wii only sold like 250,000 copies in the West, didn't it? The poor sales numbers from that title (and Tales of Vesperia) led to Namco scaling back its international releases for the series to nil. Tales of Graces came out on both the Wii and the PS3, yet neither version is coming stateside. And Dawn of the New World was a direct sequel to a very popular and well selling Gamecube game, while all three of these are new IPs (with some big names attached, granted).

Err..Tales of Graces F is coming stateside. Again, NoA is making Namco look good.

I just hope they give us Tales of Xillia. I've liked what I've heard and seen of it.

Anyway, I didn't know about The Last Story until this thread. Ugh. I wish I hadn't looked it up, because now I'm hugely disappointed it's not coming stateside. That trailer was amazing.

At least Xenoblade is coming to Europe. If I can figure out how to unlock the region of my system (is it okay to talk about that?), I'd totally import it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When the hell did 250k become a bomb and not worthy of future support? Million-sellers are great, but plenty of games can and do turn a tidy profit at far lower numbers, while others can't make money even at a million. There's no single standard for success, and different games should have their expectations adjusted accordingly. Atlus' entire business model is focused around making a profit that seems a game reaching six figure sales as a massive bonus.

But, as has been pointed out, the cost of the games themselves is only part of the picture for Nintendo. Justly or not, the Wii alienated a lot of gamers, and Nintendo has been sending a message with the 3DS and now the Wii U that they want them back. Part of that is showing that they're responsive to the wants of that demographic, and bringing over smaller (but still potentially profitable) games aimed at that demographic would be a strong sign that they do care. Plus it also shows that they won't completely abandon their systems (seriously, the last major Wii release from Nintendo was Donkey Kong Country Returns, and we don't have another major release lined up until somewhere in the holidays). If the games lost money, the goodwill earned from bringing them over regardless could still be a net win down the road, even if it doesn't show on the balance sheet today. In the GameCube days when Nintendo needed every bit of goodwill they could get, that's what they did (see Baten Kaitos Origins). But now? Nothing, and t's going ot bite them in the ass if they're not careful.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I cannot believe how badly Nintendo has squandered their lead they got with the Wii.

Sony is just watching and getting a familiar, uncomfortable feeling.

Ya. *sniff sniff* Smells like...Dreamcast.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    PerytonPeryton Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just don't understand where some people's adamant loyalty to Nintendo comes from. They put out a couple games a year amongst a sea of shovelware, region lock their systems, refuse to let third parties publish their games, and then don't even release their own games.

Why should somebody need to hack their own system to buy games? Why should gamers have to beg a company to release games? What is the logic behind supporting this company? Why make excuses for them?

Peryton on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think it comes down to the fact that people really, really love Mario and Zelda.

As someone who doesn't own a game from either franchise on the Wii, that gets me some heat.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I also do not buy the whole argument that these games didn't sell that well in Japan so they don't think they would in the west. If they really didn't sell that well why are they being confirmed for release in so many other different regions, but still denied here? Are JRPG's extremely popular in random european countries?

Peryton on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No way in hell am I getting a WiiU now. Mario and Zelda aren't big on my list anyways and I don't have faith in Nintendo to branch past casual, at least in America. Anyways, NoE gets their money for Xenoblade and The Last Story (and being supportive of their fans) and the rest goes to a Vita and PS4/720 while I write off the WiiU and 3DS.

But seriously. Is there a rule that only one western branch of Nintendo can be competent at any one time?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think it comes down to the fact that people really, really love Mario and Zelda.

As someone who doesn't own a game from either franchise on the Wii, that gets me some heat.

Yeah. I have no choice in the matter of a Wii U. Wife's a huge Zelda fan girl so it's pretty much a given. Only reason I haven't sold my second Wii is because Skyward Sword is coming out soon.

Sheep on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Admittedly, JRPG support has been weak on all of the home consoles this generation, but there have been a few great ones on the other systems like Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles, and Demon's Souls. Plus the 360 & PS3 both get a solid number of Western RPGs. Have there been ANY great RPGs of any kind on the Wii, if you exclude PS2 ports and the VC?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Have there been ANY great RPGs of any kind on the Wii, if you exclude PS2 ports and the VC?

Yes. Xenoblade and The Last Story.
    They're reportedly outstanding.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn comes to mind.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peryton wrote: »
    I just don't understand where some people's adamant loyalty to Nintendo comes from. They put out a couple games a year amongst a sea of shovelware, region lock their systems, refuse to let third parties publish their games, and then don't even release their own games.

Why should somebody need to hack their own system to buy games? Why should gamers have to beg a company to release games? What is the logic behind supporting this company? Why make excuses for them?

I... Don't get where you're going with this. How is it Nintendo's fault that there are shit games on the console? And believe it or not Nintendo's first party games are actually fun to play.

I guess I don't see why people are blaming Nintendo for shitty 3rd party support. What can they do to fix it? Pay money for exclusivity?

urahonky on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

We can do that with other companies.

Sony - Their stupidity got them hacked and peoples info stolen.

Microsoft - Don't pay for online service, here's a bunch of ads. Pay for online service, here's a bunch of ads. Releases a poorly made console with a massive failure rate.

What is the logic behind supporting these companies? Why make excuses for them?

Algertman on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All console jRPGs this generation have been divisive. None have been viewed as overwhelming great like TWEWY or Chrono Trigger. I liked Muramasa, others don't. Ultimately, between the Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP, the jRPG fanbase became so split it's become hard for any to do as well as they've done in the past. Want to sell well in Japan? Put in on the PSP. Your sales will tank in the West, though. Put in on 360/PS3 and their weak sales in Japan mean you'll have to sell well in the West to justify the added budget. The Wii and DS are sort of the middle ground. never pulling strong sales in any specific region.

Also: has Nintendo refused to let 3rd parties publish their games? I thought that was just a SCEA thing.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    All console jRPGs this generation have been divisive. None have been viewed as overwhelming great like TWEWY or Chrono Trigger. I liked Muramasa, others don't. Ultimately, between the Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP, the jRPG fanbase became so split it's become hard for any to do as well as they've done in the past. Want to sell well in Japan? Put in on the PSP. Your sales will tank in the West, though. Put in on 360/PS3 and their weak sales in Japan mean you'll have to sell well in the West to justify the added budget. The Wii and DS are sort of the middle ground. never pulling strong sales in any specific region.

Also: has Nintendo refused to let 3rd parties publish their games? I thought that was just a SCEA thing.

Nintendo's refused or asked for too high a price to let third parties publish Nintendo's games.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Algertman wrote: »

We can do that with other companies.

Sony - Their stupidity got them hacked and peoples info stolen.

Microsoft - Don't pay for online service, here's a bunch of ads. Pay for online service, here's a bunch of ads. Releases a poorly made console with a massive failure rate.

What is the logic behind supporting these companies? Why make excuses for them?

As an owner of all three systems, I don't make excuses for any of them. My most played systems by generation have been NES -> SNES -> PS1 -> PS2 -> 360, so I have never been a person that only supports one company. To be perfectly honest at this point I am heavily leaning towards Sony for next generation, as Nintendo has really been a letdown the last two generations for me and their claims that the next system will totally be made with their "core players" in mind is undermined by their handling of this situation. The 360 I will admit has been underwhelming in the exclusives department, although in an ideal world most games will continue to be cross platform.

For me it just boils down to the fact that I don't think Nintendo cares about America and didn't last generation either. If these games were only being made in Japan, it wouldn't bother me as much, but the fact that they seem to be releasing them in every single region except one of (if not the) regions that contributed the most to their console's success just really rubs me the wrong way. And then NOA claims that they know what we want. Maybe what 'we' want truly is another Wii party game, a zelda game every half decade, a mario game every couple years, and periodic Kirby/Donkey Kong/various Mario franchise games and a void of nothing between them? IGN's most anticipated games for each system spoke volumes for this year, unable to even come up with 10 games for the Wii.

Peryton on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Found an interesting sales image.
    Then again, exchange rate favors Europe.
    wqgSo.jpg

Edit: And then again, how accurate are the numbers?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, cut out the title's that aren't nintendos, and you have Sin and Punishment 2 selling highest in Europe.
    MYSTERY SOLVED!
    Apparently every Japanese person who bought NMH also bought NMH2.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Found an interesting sales image.
    Then again, exchange rate favors Europe.
    wqgSo.jpg

Edit: And then again, how accurate are the numbers?

It's VGChartz so they're about as accurate as a random number generator.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

I... Don't get where you're going with this. How is it Nintendo's fault that there are shit games on the console? And believe it or not Nintendo's first party games are actually fun to play.

I guess I don't see why people are blaming Nintendo for shitty 3rd party support. What can they do to fix it? Pay money for exclusivity?

Whose fault would you consider it? If Nintendo doesn't even release its own games, and even goes as far as refusing to allow another company to publish them, what kind of message does that send to a third party developer? Perhaps their backwards thinking decisions regarding their console pushed third parties away initially, and then that just snowballed into other third parties seeing a lack of success and also not supporting it.

I'm not denying that their first party games are fun to play, and I personally loved Monter Hunter Tri a whole lot. I just don't think they are going to be able to support an entire system for the third time in a row, and hopefully the 3DS is a wake up call for Nintendo that something needs to change.

Peryton on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Monster Hunter Tri is Capcom's baby, not Nintendo's.

So what would you do? Not release a first party game and let third parties attempt to make games? The problem is that they wanted to triple port games and not produce exclusive content. And since the Wii wasn't nearly as powerful as the 360/PS3 they couldn't port the games easily. That's why the third parties didn't like the Wii.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sorry I didn't specify it more, but yeah I know Monster Hunter is a Capcom game that's why I put the comma there.

Of course Nintendo should make first party games, they are a large factor in what sells their systems. Their test or whatever you want to call it with the 3ds of not releasing their own franchises immediately definitely had some amount of impact on the lower sales.

Again though, the reasons you give for why third parties didn't like the Wii are not the fault of the third parties. Nintendo released an underpowered system with a unique control style, creating a sizeable barrier for companies porting games over to it. That was their decision. They region lock their systems, they have archaic online features, they don't support third parties to the extent other systems do; all of those are their decisions.

Put yourself in the shoes of a fictional game developer that has just created the ultimate JRPG ever made. You need to decide whose system this precious gem of a game should be developed for. You look at Nintendo and see that they have themselves created multiple JRPG's that met with very positive reviews, yet Nintendo themselves don't even think it's worth porting their own games to one of their largest markets. If Nintendo itself lacks confidence in its own products, why would you trust your similar game with them?

Peryton on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I blame third parties for being lazy and not taking full advantage of the capabilities of the Wii. I mean look at how RE4 ended up. It was an amazing game and looked good on the system. Why couldn't anyone else replicate that? Because they were trying to do the easy thing and port games around.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll cross post my thoughts from the industry thread:

I'll add something about the Nintendo RPG thing. Yes it's dissapointing, and I'm a bit sad that they don't seem all that worried about the uber poor lineup they have going into this year, but I'm not going to boycott them or avoid buying the WiiU because of it.

Those types of reactions are silly. I will say that I'm tempted to homebrew the Wii now and import Xenoblade, but I'm still too paranoid that I'll mess up my Wii and I can't afford to replace it.

I just hope that they figure something out and eventually release at least Xenoblade.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder what effect this will have on sales in Europe? I'm increasingly tempted to get Xenoblade and The Last Story on day one to encourage NoE to keep it up.

EvilRedEye on
    Gone.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    EvilRedEye wrote: »
    I wonder what effect this will have on sales in Europe? I'm increasingly tempted to get Xenoblade and The Last Story on day one to encourage NoE to keep it up.

This is what I'm planning on doing.

Also I hope that they sell particularly well in Europe, and make NoA feel dumb in hindsight.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'll cross post my thoughts from the industry thread:

I'll add something about the Nintendo RPG thing. Yes it's dissapointing, and I'm a bit sad that they don't seem all that worried about the uber poor lineup they have going into this year, but I'm not going to boycott them or avoid buying the WiiU because of it.

Those types of reactions are silly. I will say that I'm tempted to homebrew the Wii now and import Xenoblade, but I'm still too paranoid that I'll mess up my Wii and I can't afford to replace it.

I just hope that they figure something out and eventually release at least Xenoblade.

I will agree with you that someone boycotting Nintendo over a game or two not being released would definitely be silly, but I don't think it's crazy that a person who has gone through a decade of disappointment between the Gamecube and the Wii would think extremely hard before putting their trust into Nintendo's new console. The company's decisions just don't make sense to a lot of people for very good reasons.

As for my other discussion, the Wii's uniqueness created a barrier to third parties that most of them decided was too much risk to break through. Perhaps laziness on the third parties had something to do with it, but either way that barrier was a decision that Nintendo had to make and as a direct result is why the Wii suffers from such a lack of games. All the quality third party, cross platform games are what keep a platform strong since it is unreasonable to expect first party titles alone to carry a system.

Peryton on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I will say that I'm tempted to homebrew the Wii now and import Xenoblade, but I'm still too paranoid that I'll mess up my Wii and I can't afford to replace it.
    Look up some guides and go to town. It's nearly impossible to fuck up and opens up the ability to play something you otherwise might not have the chance to. From that standpoint it's well worth the teensy bit of effort.

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Have there been ANY great RPGs of any kind on the Wii, if you exclude PS2 ports and the VC?

Little King's Story.
    Admittedly a strategy/adventure/town sim/RPG hybrid, but the only better JRPG of this generation was Demon's Souls.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Another great Wii game that nobody played was Baroque, a very gritty, twisted action roguelike.

Actually it had a lot in common with Demon's Souls!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Wasn't Baroque meant to fall down flat on the gameplay side, though?

Because if we're mentioning flawed-but-interesting RPGs, there's Fragile Dreams and Sakura Wars (Europe never got the PS2 version of the latter)

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sakura Wars wasn't flawed, it was RPG of the year in my book.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Both Baroque & Sakura Wars are PS2 ports. And Little King's Story is a bit of a stretch to call an RPG.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Both Baroque & Sakura Wars are PS2 ports. And Little King's Story is a bit of a stretch to call an RPG.

You have a party of named guys who get better equipment and stats over the course of the game.
    Action/strategy RPG, yes, but there's RPG in there

Xagarath on