As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BRINK] - The AAAAHHHHHHK isn't gonna fight over itself, y'know! Join the wacky fun!

• elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    It's quite good

camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So has the DLC release temporarily defibrillator-zapped the server population (on the PC)? Worth reinstalling for a while to try it out?

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So, from rather cursory play on the new maps (as in, I haven't been able to play full matches from start to finish on either one): Lab is a lot more hectic than I thought it'd be, at least the second part where Resistance has to get the Arkoral sample and deposit it in the escape sub. Lots of places to scoot around, and it's easy to slip through Security defenses if they're not careful or guarding the extraction point like mad. Tower has a great ground level to start with, very nice looking with lots of foliage and branching pathways to make getting around pretty disorienting, but the second half for Security is confusing due to its initial verticality: once people get their heads around the general layout of the central "circle" layout it should allow SMART movement to shine.

As for the new skills and attachments: UAV first and foremost is. . . one of those things where lots of practice and good knowledge of the map layout is necessary. You need to plant it on the ground first, and once it takes off you can't increase or decrease altitude so far as I know; it's essentially used as a remote-controlled bug that can be placed in remote locations for extra radar extension. You have to interact with it in order to get it moving, and I believe it can only be detonated while being flown, but clever usage of this can be potent in keeping tabs on where enemy chokepoints or fortifications are being set up. Napalm Grenade looks fun both as a way to do heavy damage to enemy clumps or deter movement through something like a doorway or narrow space. I haven't seen the others in action; Tactical Sensor just lets you see up to four buffs on an enemy target by looking at them, Field-Whatever-Aid-Unit is like an area-wide Metabolism Boost in the place where it's set up, and Fire Mines are, well, incendiary mines. Self-explanatory, really.

The bayonet is available only for a few SMGs and the majority of the Assault Rifles, and it does some hefty damage at the cost of lots of weapon equip speed, but the Weapon Shield is sadly only for the same and not any of the heavy weapons, where you'd think it'd make more sense. I haven't used it yet, but the stiff equip speed penalty had better be worth it.

In all, not a bad content pack, and for free (at least for now); I'm just curious as to what exactly caused the huge delay in release after SD submitted the whole thing. It should keep the game going for a while longer, which is good.

Grimthwacker on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They probably wanted to release it simultaneously on consoles and PC

Which means we can lay the blame at MSes feet for the delay

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    They probably wanted to release it simultaneously on consoles and PC

Which means we can lay the blame at MSes feet for the delay

When it comes to updates, this is always a safe choice.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The game is now COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE for me. It ran pretty well originally, now I get horrible slowdown on the fucking company splash screens. Menu is totally black except for a few icons and buttons.

What the flying fuck.

YL9WnCY.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Meh, weapons are still unbalanced as fuck, the maps I can't say too much on because I only played one round on each one but I did accidentally climb into the enemy spawn in one time; which is still horrible design.

The weapon shield might be useful if it wasn't on the awful AR's, but I never noticed it protecting me at all. Plus who doesn't play light?
    Didn't try the bayonet because seriously, who melees except while sprinting to knockdown? Didn't get to try any of the new abilities since I didn't have any spare skill points left and selling and dropping to 19 prevents you from getting any of them.

I think it's safe to say the DLC did not save this game.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    Meh, weapons are still unbalanced as fuck,

So, still CARB-9 uber alles then?
    Plus who doesn't play light?

Er, most people?

edited August 2011
    Really? People don't play light? I played two games and I was the only non-light guy I saw.

The mobility difference really doesn't make up for the hp/weapon difference between classes.

Morkath on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It does if you're smart... as the light you can get to some crazy places that no one even looks at, especially when they're drawing fire from other areas.

Also, I melee'd all the time. I also used pistols a lot, so the knife was kind of nice. I guess I'll try the bayonet out when I download this tomorrow.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Morkath wrote:
    Meh, weapons are still unbalanced as fuck,

So, still CARB-9 uber alles then?
    Plus who doesn't play light?

Er, most people?

They've nerfed the CARB-9 twice now, it's now in line with everything. I actually did pretty decently online on these new maps this time, rather than constantly dying to carb-9 assholes.

camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    I was using the carb-9 on my light soldier and still wrecking 3-4 people at once.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    A sea of empty servers stretches out before me like the infinite void of space.

I might try again later. But then again loading up brink just makes me sad so maybe not.

• ShadeShade Registered User regular
    I want to love this game but damn are the bots shit.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    The dlc is free, right?

I still have steam installed because of dota 2, but I long ago got rid of Brink.

Probably not worth getting burned again. :/

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Suriko wrote:
    The DLC is free to get until two weeks are up.

Well, sort of. You can't "buy" it on Steam unless you have the base game. So if you want it, you need to shell out the $50 on Steam (or less if you can find a boxed copy cheaper somewhere) before you can get it. Not sure if that's the case for console versions, though.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    on consoles, you do not need the game to download the content.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote:
    A sea of empty servers stretches out before me like the infinite void of space.

I might try again later. But then again loading up brink just makes me sad so maybe not.
    So are you saying that the servers are not too busy at the moment. Try again later.

steam_sig.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I like the new levels. The others level should be this packed of secondary objectives.

So I got the DLC, 500 megs and all, and I see the new abilities to choose, but I don't see the new maps on the list :?

steam_sig.png
  • Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    Check you have the DLC in the DLC tab page in the game propierties.

I like the new maps btw.

they have much more interesting routes, especially for light types obviously. they both have some really cool tricky jumps. the improvements to the weapons are noticeable and welcome, and the netcode is vastly improved too. basically this is how brink should be. well...
    then again my one complaint so far is, i ran into a group online in the VS on labs that played really annoying.
    when it got to the last part, instead of defending the intelligence, they ran to our submarine and built turrets and mines, and set up there. they were so entrenched our team or randoms could not unseat them and we ended getting blocked out of the submarine for the whole match and losing. this was more than annoying and very hard to counter.
    more people need to play this...

• Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    The game requires a good level of skill and teamwork. Which sounds good in theory, but in practice in public play it's a problem. Shamefully.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    did they actually add voice talk?

camo_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    well founders tower is fun. lots of climbing and parkouring was thought of when they did this one.

The only problem is almost all of the servers running the DLC are full... also vote for next map doesn't have the new maps listed in it.

• rook268rook268 Registered User regular
    So, if anyone is on the fence about picking this up on PC, its 50% off to buy and free until Sunday.

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    For about the dozenth time I am fighting off the urge to go buy this for the 360. Is playable in the slightest now?

• PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Will this weekend be the game's last hurrah? I'm guessing yes

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
    Dunno about the console side, but it seems like the bugs are mostly worked out now on the PC

steam_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh man I forgot how much fun I had with this game. The DLC maps are good additions unlike launch-era container city. Haven't tried the new attachments yet. my character is a light so I can't use the shield on the smgs/pistols. Like the looks of the new outfits and have been mixing a few of the pieces in trying to come up with cool looks. My only problem is that the people who stuck with it have all the toys and abilities right now and I only have up to rank 3 ones. Still it's not that big of a disadvantage.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Pookiepoo wrote:
    Will this weekend be the game's last hurrah? I'm guessing yes

magic8ballyes.jpg

The Magic 8-Ball agrees.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    So, does this shambling corpse of a game have a PA server?

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    This game had so much hype surrounding it.

What a disappointment.

PNA1v.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    It's a great game.Technical issues are pretty much gone, new maps are a big improvement. The core gameplay was always fun and there's more valid weapon variety now.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    I played for an hour or two last night, for the first time in well over a month. I had a lot of fun on my rank 18 engineer, but I was on the winning team the whole time; so that frustration was pretty low. Everything ran well, too, which had been a real problem for me the month after launch (ATI). I still miss vsync though and get terrible tearing.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I am so disappointed in this game, it's a huge bummer.

I haven't touched it (nor my Xbox in general) since a week or two after it released, and I just jumped into a game to check out the new stuff....it was all bots, and it was still laggy as fuck. And the aiming and running felt really fucking weird somehow...I couldn't even deal with it.
    So I quit after a couple of minutes, turned my 360 off, and now here I am, doing something that is not frustrating or annoying.

Feels good.

edited August 2011
    wow a whole few minutes huh! really tried hard there, sorry you had to suffer through such a tragic fate.
    i understand peoples frustrations with this game, but at this point pretty much everything short of a party system has been implemented to better the game. people who hated it the first week will probably still hate it, but people STILL complaining about lag and weapon balance need to play for more than 'a few minutes' because that is an awfully big jump to a stupid conclusion.
    as someone who was genuinely disappointed in how the game played day 1, it's nice to have my patience rewarded. i have no qualms with this game now, and even though it will never happen i will pray to allah that they make a brink 2. because god damn, they need to do it again but RIGHT this time.

Local H Jay on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I put quite a bit of time into when it first came out. I thought it might be different now. It's not, so I stopped.

Match was empty anyway. I'll probably give it another go tonight, when there'll be more people playing, but I don't have high hopes.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    I'm still a bit upset that even maxed out turrets have zero use other than a distraction.

Save for someone literally standing in front of one and trying to destroy one with a pistol, it's a waste of every point you put into it.