As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BRINK] - The AAAAHHHHHHK isn't gonna fight over itself, y'know! Join the wacky fun!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So, Brink just got cheap on Steam. Is the community still (already) dead, or is it picking back up with the upcoming DLC?

Edit: So, I see from the last few pages that it is pretty dead. Damn.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I never had a problem playing today. Most of my problems where joining a server and getting a server full message from someone beating me to it

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'm actually rather depressed about this, was looking forward to giving the game a try D:

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    GuildNavigatorGuildNavigator Registered User regular
    I'm really, really happy they let us play Brink for a few days free. I finally got multiplayer working (obviously by using Steam and completely avoiding the in-game menus).

Every online game I played turned into a team death match. Very, very, very few people actually cared about the objectives. The ones that did care were typically the least skilled people on the teams.

Problem is, as a team deathmatch game, Brink is average at best. Clunky movement (especially for a game that seems designed around movement) and "meh" combat dropped it all the way down to the least interesting online FPS game I've played in years.

Shame the developers didn't put more effort into the AI. Single player was actually pretty fun up until the point you have to rely on your teammates on the offense. Then it completely falls apart.

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    I think this game is still super fun. I can't tell how much of an effect the shield is having on the Rocksteadi, but it feels like it helps.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm really, really happy they let us play Brink for a few days free. I finally got multiplayer working (obviously by using Steam and completely avoiding the in-game menus).

Every online game I played turned into a team death match. Very, very, very few people actually cared about the objectives. The ones that did care were typically the least skilled people on the teams.

Problem is, as a team deathmatch game, Brink is average at best. Clunky movement (especially for a game that seems designed around movement) and "meh" combat dropped it all the way down to the least interesting online FPS game I've played in years.

Shame the developers didn't put more effort into the AI. Single player was actually pretty fun up until the point you have to rely on your teammates on the offense. Then it completely falls apart.
    I think that the bots are actually fine on defense. They are perfectly capable of shooting dudes fine. And once that's done, they actually aren't too horrible at disarming objectives. It's just completing them that's a problem. Personally, I think that a few people vs a full bot team is more fun than a really small pvp match

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I gave one last go with some custom options editor for the game, though it had no effect whatsoever.

Ah well =(.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    My problem with the bots is when they're attacking and can't scratch you the entire time until the last bit of timer and they become a precision swarm systematically pushing your team away from defending and take whatever it is they want.

Also I have done the first part of labs every time I've played it within a minute... no one understands that you can plant the charge on both f1 and f2 yet. so i put it on f2 then parkour up to the 3rd floor and do overwatch on anyone who accidentally figures it out... I've had to kill one entire person that way

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    the bots in this game are the worst fucking bots in any game ever

i basically did all the campaign missions solo except for the missile hack one on the security side, and because the AI is fucking STUPID, they're constantly going around playing tug of war with command centers instead of actually giving me some fucking backup.

there is a LOT in this game that i don't only dislike, but actively HATE.

the good: Character customization, Art direction, vibrant setting and interesting proportions

the bad: anything involving actually playing the game

what really bugs me is how your team's AI suddenly gets real stupid and dies just as an objective is counting down. you'd have held out for 8 minutes or so, then in the last 45 seconds the enemy bots somehow slaughter your entire team - you included - and start messing with the objective. and they get OVERTIME to boot. and of course the respawn timer isn't short enough for you to make a difference in 45 seconds, so you had all that progress wiped out by some crazy AI scaling.

that's what's wrong with this game in a nutshell: too much progress is too easily lost. i am very glad i didn't pay anything for this, and i don't think i'll ever purchase it.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    As bad as the bots are, take consolation that they were even worst at launch.

Yeah, apparently they did some AI tweaking to make them better. Can't tell much of a difference TBH.

• Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    In the last update they changed the bots (in freeplay mode at least, are you guys still working through campaign?) to have a fixed difficulty rather than time-based scaling. I've noticed a definite difference. Also before that they changed the bot AI to place greater importance on the main objective instead of fighting over command posts so vigorously.

PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i'd love an RPG or something based on brink's world, with brink's art style, with females added

actually, this is like if they did make something like that, and then decided to shoehorn in a poorly-executed multiplayer mode

the only problem is, we're not getting the 'good' part, this is it.

back when this was released, i had 50 dollars to spend on either the witcher 2 or brink. i made the right choice. :P

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Yeah, I could've sworn that bots in Freeplay are a lot more manageable than in Campaign. And for all the love/hate this game gets, that's exactly why I still love Brink: It's been one of those games that have had a real impact on me, something that comes together for me in a way I can't help but appreciate, and the fact that people have so many conflicting feelings about it at least makes the game something of a "noble experiment" that could possibly make other developers take notice and adopt some of the ideas Brink had to better effect. I still enjoy the SMART system, I love the objective/teamwork based focus, and the beefy customization of skills and weapons is something I gladly tool around with regularly.

At the very least, let's appreciate Brink for what it brings to the table, call it a valiant effort undercut by execution problems, and leave it at that.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    At the very least, let's appreciate Brink for what it brings to the table, call it a valiant effort undercut by execution problems, and leave it at that.

Calling it a valiant effort is giving SD way too much credit. I'll appreciate Brink when a capable dev team makes a good game based off the ideas presented in Brink.

Yes, I am extremely bitter.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I'm more annoyed at myself than SD these days. I haven't liked a game they've made so I really shouldn't have bothered spending money on this one. :(

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Brink, in its lowest setting, is awfully choppy on my i5 with 1 GB of video memory and 4 GB's of RAM.
    Do I need to upgrade my hardware already? D:

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    Brink, in its lowest setting, is awfully choppy on my i5 with 1 GB of video memory and 4 GB's of RAM.

It isn't your hardware.

• Options

Sounds like my problem. Experiencing a lot of constant stuttering/choppiness? Mouse is kind of unresponsive, the character at the selection screen moves all jittery. Trying to play in-game is like a slide-show?

• Options
    i'd give more credit to brink if mirror's edge hadn't done the whole first person parkour thing first

cause objective-based shooters ain't nothin new

maybe they should get some credit for inventing legendarily horrendous AI though

that's true progress

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    So it isn't me. Phew. I was getting scared because of Skyrim, ya see.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    The parkouring in Brink was really oversold anyway, 90% of the time it's just quickly vaulting over short railings.

• Options
    Plus having a one button movement system was really disappointing. :(

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    hm i really don't like this game

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    I don't understand all the complaints about bots. Yeah, they're bad, but why are you playing with bots? Maybe it's different on the consoles but there's no reason to on the PC, especially now that the server browser isn't useless like it was at launch; now it's just as good as any other game.

• Options
    Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    Brink bots are much better than in other games. Remember, their skill level up with yours.
    But of course if you can play with humans, forget the bots!

SMART is a subtle gameplay mechanic, it's was too hyped true. But even being subtle, it's good. The possibility of vaulting, climbing, small wall jumps to go over some points, applied to every part of the level gives a nice feeling to the gameplay.

• Options
    Yeah, even though it's not a huge deal for non-light characters, the parkour just makes all the movement so much smoother. Playing other FPS's now feels much clunkier in comparison, just in terms of getting around.

• Options
    Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hah hah, yeah after playing a long session of Brink, if i switch to another fps, i feel i am missing something, like my freedom has been constrained. And the silly movement of sliding off in the ground is very useful to take cover when you are being shot from a flank. I hope more people implement systems like that. We had for now Mirrors Edge, Crysis 2 and Brink.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    815165 wrote:

It isn't your hardware.

I have a Samsung laptop with an i5, 4gb ram, and a Geforce GT 540M and the game runs smooth as butter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brink doesn't run very well for me on my 5770, but my processor is a 2.6 Ghz C2D I got four years ago. It seems like Brink is pretty processor intensive.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    Yeah, even though it's not a huge deal for non-light characters, the parkour just makes all the movement so much smoother. Playing other FPS's now feels much clunkier in comparison, just in terms of getting around.

Quake quake quake. Warsow warsow warsow.

• Options
    I prefer to not have to shoot my feet with a rocket to move around :p Also I prefer objective based team games kkekekeke

• Options
    You don;t need to shoot your feet to walk around and Quake/WSW have objective based team games. :(

• Options
    edited August 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2ac7eJqvw&

Half speed no sound almost 3 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB80TGCQ1M8

From 0:40 onwards

:P !

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    815165 wrote:
    You don;t need to shoot your feet to walk around and Quake/WSW have objective based team games. :(

But TDM is still the best teamgame. Been playing a few pickup matches the past couple of weeks. I should probably sit in IRC more often for it though.

• Options
    I'd stream me running a few warsow levels, but I'd need to crack out my other mouse with a thumb button to do it as well as I'd like.

And I'm not nearly as good at CPMA movement as I was at Warsow (despite warsow being generally easier to move in I was able to rely more on my good movement and timing in that game).

• Options
    I'm pretty sure you guys recognize the difference between these types of FPS's and get what I mean :p

Anyway would anybody hre be down for playing over the weekend? I have nothing else to do and I want to kill me some newbies.

• Options
    We do. But the thing about Quake players is we want to talk about Quake all the time. Because it is so good you see.

Any excuse to talk about it man. This 815165 fellow has my back.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    What was his name, Page-? Yeah he wouldn't shut up about Quake in the earlier thread. It got pretty annoying after a few months.

Lemming on
  • Options
    I just talk about Quake in all the threads, ain't matter what it is about.
    Time for bed though, I am well tired.

• Options
    We'll it's the difference between going off topic for a bit and making your entire presence in a thread focused on talking about a completely different game ._.