As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeon Lords] Game 1! That Yellow Bastard Rules the Underworld!

• Options
    XiVXiV Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ooh, which lucky dude won't get a priest?

Combat was personally the most challenging thing to wrap my head around when learning this game. If not for the tutorial boards (a most excellent way of teaching it!) it would be a lot harder imo.

XiV on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Orders in.

Darian on
  • Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Orders sent.

Sorry about my terrible eyesight, but... those images are a little hard to parse. Could you possibly link to larger versions, or perhaps provide text descriptions of the adventurers/monsters/rooms?

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sure, text.

Adventurers -

Spring: Priest 3*, Wizard 4*, Priest 3**, Priest 4**

(The Adventurers are listed from left to right, weakest to strongest. The asterisks indicate the number of icons a particular Adventurer has)

Available Monsters: Witch, Vampire, Witch

Available Rooms: Mushroom Bed, Printing Press

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I appreciate it! Actually thought that the wizard was a rogue for a while...

Also, just noticed that the souvenir shop is missing from the rooms summary.

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fixed. I really need to learn to proofread.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Minions have been dispatched! Be warned heroes, my dungeon will have no gold or monsters in it, so if you are looking for entertainment look elsewhere!

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Year 1, Winter - Order Results!

That Yellow Bastard:
    1. Improve Reputation
    2. Recruit Imps
    3. Mine Gold

The Red Menace:
    1. Build Room
    2. Mine Gold
    3. Hire Monster

The Blue Meanie:
    1. Recruit Imps
    2. Build Room
    3. Get Food

The Green Monster:
    1. Recruit Imps
    2. Mine Gold
    3. Hire Monster

Get Food : I. The Blue Meanie II. III.
    Improve Reputation: I. That Yellow Bastard II. III.
    Dig Tunnels : I. II. III.
    Mine Gold : I. The Red Menace II. The Green Monster III. That Yellow Bastard
    Recruit Imps: I. The Blue Meanie II. The Green Monster III. That Yellow Bastard
    Buy Traps : I. II. III.
    Hire Monster: I. The Red Menace II. The Green Monster III.
    Available: Witch, Vampire, Witch
    Build Room : I. The Red Menace II. The Blue Meanie III.
    Available: Mushroom Bed, Printing Press

Questions:

Which Combat Card (1-4) will That Yellow Bastard peek at? Card will be revealed via PM. (Hint: always look at #1 first)

How much gold are the miners mining for? That Yellow Bastard must appoint a foreimp to supervise, regardless of how much gold he mines.

What monster and room? The Green Monster has first choice of monsters, The Blue Meanie first choice of room. The Red Menace gets second pick of each.

These are technically supposed to be done in order, but it really shouldn't matter, so go ahead and respond. If anyone decides for some reason to not execute an order they've chosen (probably not), please say so.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mine as much as possible. Three?

And I'll recruit one of those Witches. Too many priests around, and I'd rather pick up 2 evil instead of 4. (We pay to recruit, then pay again at Payday, right?)

Darian on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Darian wrote: Β»
    Mine as much as possible. Three?

And I'll recruit one of those Witches. Too many priests around, and I'd rather pick up 2 evil instead of 4. (We pay to recruit, then pay again at Payday, right?)

Ok, correct.

Correct.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also, thanks for running this. I can already tell I need this game.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You're welcome, my pleasure! Yes, yes you do.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh, I also need to ask the player who takes the Printing Press where they will put it. Since no one dug tunnels, there's only one place the Mushroom Bed can go.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I will also assume that as long as you have the imps to do it, you will activate your production rooms. The only exceptions will be for the Printing Press (might want to be more evil), the Magic Room (might not want to spend food?), and if you have multiple rooms you can activate.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'll second Darian in saying that this game looks pretty cool so far. Lots of neat mechanics and nice flavor.

1. Look at the first combat card.
    2. Appoint a foreimp, then mine two gold with the other two imps.
    3. Pay to recruit two new imps.

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If you're ever waiting for someone else's decision, please go ahead and PM me conditionals. Examples: "I'll take the Ghost if it's still there, otherwise give me the Troll", or "Workshop > Chicken Coop".

Man, first-time hosting is fun!

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll take the Mushroom bed.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Just need XiV to pick his Monster and place the Printing Press (assuming he wants it).

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    By the way, I'm glad at least some of you (those who've said so!) are enjoying the game so far. I know we had a bit of a rough start, but I'm sure I'll do a better job of having things run smoother as the game moves along.

I'm also glad people have embraced the nicknames. I love the pictures. And yes, I was thinking of the wall and not the mascot for The Green Monster.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh, and I was also thinking of one of these guys as The Blue Meanie:
    1285114259bluemeanie.gif

The Blue Meanies, bad guys from Yellow Submarine! I didn't even know there was a Blue Meanie kite.

Also, the Kool-Aid Man as The Red Menace was a stroke of genius.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mine 2 gold. Get a Witch.

Put printing press, um, to the right of the second row of tunnels.

XiV on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    To build a room, you have to replace a tunnel tile. You can't just build it next to a tunnel.

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tmoiy beat me to it . Yep, there's only two places you can put it right now. Just say "2 down" or "3 down".

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh, and I was also thinking of one of these guys as The Blue Meanie:
    1285114259bluemeanie.gif

The Blue Meanies, bad guys from Yellow Submarine! I didn't even know there was a Blue Meanie kite.

Also, the Kool-Aid Man as The Red Menace was a stroke of genius.
    I kept finding those things in the image search, and had no clue what they were! I never saw the Yellow Submarine. I guess they are disturbing like any Dungeon Lord should be.

Also, blahmcblah, thank you for hosting this game. I'm likely going to put it on my wishlist, but it might be a tough sell to my group, Whenever we are four, Chaos in the Old World is the go to game. Either way, I'm having fun playing, even if I think I messed that turn up.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Sorry, two down.

edit - been playing Theme Hospital and got the rules confused :p

XiV on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Excellent. Updates will come as soon as I can get to the computer I need. Hopefully in an hour or two.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Year 1, Spring

Oh boy, here come the thieves. This game does not need Special Events in order to be brutally harsh!

Progress Board:
    pby1spring.jpg

Main Board:
    mby1spring.jpg

The Red Menace:
    redy1spring.jpg

The Blue Meanie:
    bluey1spring.jpg

The Green Monster:
    greeny1spring.jpg

That Yellow Bastard:
    yellowy1spring.jpg

Start player has passed to The Red Menace. Play order for this season is as shown above.

TAX DAY IS ALMOST HERE!!! If you don't have the Gold for it, get it. If you do, you might not want to spend it. Also note that if you dig more than one tunnel this season, you'll be paying extra Gold, so make sure you can afford it first! Do not let the ludicrously oversized hammer of dungeon bureaucracy pound you any harder than it is already poised to!

Adventurers will be arriving at your doorstep at the end of this season and every one that follows for the remainder of the year, so hopefully you're as bad (or good) as you wanna be.

It's also almost time to pay your monsters (and Ghosts), so please do realize that unless you want them to run off and spread nasty rumors about what you really keep all those imps around for, whatever cost you pay or have paid for them must be paid again come Summer's end.

Text versions of boards upon request.

Orders, please!

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    At least it's a fair distribution of thieves. I foresee manipulating of Evilometer next round..

XiV on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Orders in.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm actually not sure whether I'd be able to play this in real life because of all the AP it gives me. Orders sent.

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Minions dispatched.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Year 1, Spring - Order Results!

The Red Menace:
    1. Buy Traps
    2. Recruit Imps
    3. Get Food

The Blue Meanie:
    1. Mine Gold
    2. Hire Monster
    3. Recruit Imps

The Green Monster:
    1. Get Food
    2. Buy Traps
    3. Build Room

That Yellow Bastard:
    1. Build Room
    2. Improve Reputation
    3. Get Food

Get Food : I. The Green Monster II. The Red Menace III. That Yellow Bastard
    Improve Reputation: I. That Yellow Bastard II. III.
    Dig Tunnels : I. II. III.
    Mine Gold : I. The Blue Meanie II. III.
    Recruit Imps: I. The Red Menace II. The Blue Meanie III.
    Buy Traps : I. The Red Menace II. The Green Monster III.
    Hire Monster: I. The Blue Meanie II. III.
    Available: Ghost, Troll, Ghost
    Build Room : I. That Yellow Bastard II. The Green Monster III.
    Available: Magic Room, Souvenir Shop

Questions:

Which Combat Card (1-4) will That Yellow Bastard peek at? Card will be revealed via PM. (My guess is #2)

Does The Blue Meanie want a Ghost or a Troll?

Which Room does The Green Monster want to build? That Yellow Bastard gets the other one, if he wants it. Please specify where in your dungeon you'd like to build your new Room.

Let me know ASAP if you decide not to execute an order for some reason (don't want to spend the food/gold/evil?), unlikely as it may be in this situation. After everyone makes their decisions, we'll have Tax Day, Adventurer assignments, and then get ready for Summer.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    A troll would be best.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Put my imps to work in the printing room.

XiV on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    XiV wrote: Β»
    Put my imps to work in the printing room.

Nice, you answered a question I forgot to ask!

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Food: Poor, silly villagers. Follow through on some threats.
    Room: Take whichever room is left and place it as far from the entrance as possible. Have my imps activate the room during the production phase.

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Also, blahmcblah, thank you for hosting this game. I'm likely going to put it on my wishlist, but it might be a tough sell to my group, Whenever we are four, Chaos in the Old World is the go to game. Either way, I'm having fun playing, even if I think I messed that turn up.

You're welcome! I'm really enjoying hosting it. Probably because I still get to participate, but don't have to deal with all the AP and stress that comes with actually playing the game. You should totally get it anyway. Haven't you heard that CitOW is a 5-player game now? C'mon. I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I don't think you messed up at all. I think you're actually in a great position. Actually, I think everyone's done very well so far. Maybe we should've played with those Special Events after all... :twisted:

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Magic room, which we will put to use immediately.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Which tunnel will it replace? (#2 or #3)

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    To save time, I made an executive decision and placed it at #3. On a related note, I also decided that everyone was paying their taxes. If you'd rather save some Gold and eat the -3 points, please do speak up. I'm sure your fellow dungeon lords will be impressed by your bold decision.

For some reason, the creator of the Cyberboard scenario left out the Troll token, so The Blue Meanie's Troll token is instead a sideways imp. I hope this will not cause any confusion.

Board updates coming shortly.

blahmcblah on