As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LGBT]: Bigots can go eat a bag of [Chick-Fil-A]

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Forar wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't EA/Bioware mostly flip the 'phobes the bird (in PR speak)?
    Yes and no. There was a bit of trolling and nerd rage expressed over the prospect of same-sex relationships in SW: TOR and ME3.

However, the recent PR row is, as far as I can tell, EA doing damage control on being declared "the worst company in America" in an online poll. EA claims the voting was tainted by bigots and homophobes mad over LGB characters in Mass Effect in the like. When in actuality, most folks (like me) voted for EA because of their immoral business practices and generally poor customer service. And killing off Westwood, you bastards.

My objection is this: EA is not some light of the LGBT community. As far as I know, none of their higher-ups identify as LGBT. In fact, they've had problems in the past with LGBT issues in their games. (That is, EA chose to act poorly and in an insensitive manner.) And furthermore, EA is not actually doing anything to help the LGBT community besides throwing us a bone in Mass Effect 3*. Really, while people are being murdered across the world and basic LGBT rights are lagging in the US, the PR folks at EA come off as immense assholes to try and tag their nonexistent pain and suffering to a movement where people I know have lived, died, and bled.

(*I am no longer giving the the benefit of the doubt for the lesbian romance in Mass Effect 2. It was, sadly, probably a lowest-common-denominator kind of thing. Besides, I ship FemShep and Garrus. Also, I haven't played ME3 so take my words on it with a grain of salt.)
    That is the stupidest fucking thing. Seriously, the whole thing, start to finish. The idea the EA is even in the running for "Worst Company in the World" just shows you how fucking #firstworldproblems that poll was to begin with. I mean, they're not even the worst company in their industry. And now for them to claim it was bigots stacking the deck, instead of just a bunch of myopic, entitled white people? Really, EA? Really?

Stupidest fucking thing.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    it was a poll conducted by Kotaku, it's going to be heavily skewed.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    (*I am no longer giving EA the benefit of the doubt for the lesbian romance in Mass Effect 2. It was, sadly, probably a lowest-common-denominator kind of thing. Besides, I ship FemShep and Garrus. Also, I haven't played ME3 so take my words on it with a grain of salt.)

Kelly Chambers giving a lap dance to any Shepard is not a lesbian romance.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    That is the stupidest fucking thing. Seriously, the whole thing, start to finish. The idea the EA is even in the running for "Worst Company in the World" just shows you how fucking #firstworldproblems that poll was to begin with. I mean, they're not even the worst company in their industry. And now for them to claim it was bigots stacking the deck, instead of just a bunch of myopic, entitled white people? Really, EA? Really?

Stupidest fucking thing.

Oh, I completely agree. I knew there was no way any other company would win, so I thought I might as well kick EA while they were down. Not terribly mature of me, I admit. But yeah, it was silly and pointless.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    it was a poll conducted by Kotaku, it's going to be heavily skewed.
    It was actually run by The Consumerist.

Not that that is all that much better, but it really reflects way worse on the people voting in it than it does on EA.

• Options
    Hahahahaha. Rosie confronts a street preacher

http://youtu.be/PpETuftobwg

"Go home and do the dishes"

"I'm gonna go home and f**k my wife!"

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Cortez was a really, really sweet character. If I had a Male!Shep I would've hooked up with him. I love that bit where you watch the ships come in with him.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    On the way home from doing an errand at my old college, some old lady was decrying gays and women who are pregnant and not married.. or something. She asked if there were any whoremongers in the crowd.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My maleShep was loyal to Ashley but I liked the friendship that developed between Shep and Cortez.
    And I like how if you tell him that you prefer women it isn't completely over-the-top and ham-fisted.

Also, didn't know Trayner was a lesbian. Guess that means that it was handled pretty damn well in that they never throw it in your face. Only Cortez did that but that's because he's grieving over the loss of his husband which is understandable.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    On the way home from doing an errand at my old college, some old lady was decrying gays and women who are pregnant and not married.. or something. She asked if there were any whoremongers in the crowd.

The proper response is "Why, you buyin'?"

• Options
    And you raised your hand, right?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I was too far away and in kind of a hurry. I wasn't sure if it was a performance piece at first, but all the confused looks and camera phones out made me think it wasn't.

• Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    My maleShep was loyal to Ashley but I liked the friendship that developed between Shep and Cortez.
    And I like how if you tell him that you prefer women it isn't completely over-the-top and ham-fisted.

Also, didn't know Trayner was a lesbian. Guess that means that it was handled pretty damn well in that they never throw it in your face. Only Cortez did that but that's because he's grieving over the loss of his husband which is understandable.

Traynor is a lesbian, yah. There's also a few side conversations on the Citadel, like a soldier trying to get her daughter sent to her wife's parents. Oh, and Male!Shep and Kaiden can hook up.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »

The proper response is "Why, you buyin'?"

Monger is like a vendor, right? So does "whoremonger" mean like, a pimp?

• Options
    Nothing terribly surprising so far, but I just want to point out I haven't played ME3 yet, I have it, but my ME2 file was corrupted so I need to replay that first.

• Options
    The thing I like about Mass Effect is that it's just not an issue any more in that universe. At all. The only person who gives you shit for it is a single line from an ancient racist imperialist about how it's a waste of time.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The species of super-advanced immortal bisexual attractive female aliens tips the balance a bit, but I feel like that's a whole other bag of potatoes.

• Options
    Technically, they're omnisexual monogendered aliens who are only long lived. And they're not much more advanced then anyone else in ME.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hell, one character is impressed they can read.

To be fair, that guy is such an asshole.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    He is the biggest asshole. Ever.

And the game is still well written enough for you to empathize with him.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hell, one character is impressed they can read.

To be fair, that guy is such an asshole.

I dont know why, but this really makes me want to play ME3.

EDIT: As great as that Rosie thing is, because seriously fuck those guys, I kind of feel bad for her daughter because personally I prefer to see my mother as asexual beings who lost her genitalia after she birthed my sister. For what its worth, I kind of feel the same way about my father.

emp123 on
  • Options
    What character is that (in a spoiler)?

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    What character is that (in a spoiler)?
    Javik.
    The DLC Prothean you can have join your party.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My objection is this: EA is not some light of the LGBT community. As far as I know, none of their higher-ups identify as LGBT. In fact, they've had problems in the past with LGBT issues in their games. (That is, EA chose to act poorly and in an insensitive manner.) And furthermore, EA is not actually doing anything to help the LGBT community besides throwing us a bone in Mass Effect 3*. Really, while people are being murdered across the world and basic LGBT rights are lagging in the US, the PR folks at EA come off as immense assholes to try and tag their nonexistent pain and suffering to a movement where people I know have lived, died, and bled.

I'm curious, and I'm honestly not trying to troll, to flame bait, to whatever... I'm honestly curious. Does it really matter if someone within EA self-identifies as LGBT? Really? At all?

I get the "if they're honest about it they would have someone on their board/in leadership that is," but that's an attitude that I feel is a bit dangerous.

Thanatos wrote: »

Stupidest fucking thing.

Zynga is in a weird position, and I don't know that I would call them the worst company in the industry. They do terrible shit, but they are not in as visible a position as EA is where they can do real harm to the industry with their policies. I get the hate.

As for them running against companies like BoA, Comcast and the like, I'd argue that most of those companies already won, and should not have even really been running if only because they will win every year.

Also, hey, a barely-above-average consumer website runs a poll and people take it seriously? Eh...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    However, the recent PR row is, as far as I can tell, EA doing damage control on being declared "the worst company in America" in an online poll.

Yeah, no. EA has made it pretty clear they don't give a shit about The Consumerist's commenters voting them "worst company in America":

"We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."

I mean, even *on the website* a lot of people were pretty appalled that a bank whose actions range from "illegal" to "stupid" on a good day got beat out by OMG TEH GAMES SUCK LOL.

Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    What's "The Consumerist"?

• Options
    It's a blog about consumer issues.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    So, in other words, it's entirely irrelevant?

• Options
    mythago wrote: »
    However, the recent PR row is, as far as I can tell, EA doing damage control on being declared "the worst company in America" in an online poll.

Yeah, no. EA has made it pretty clear they don't give a shit about The Consumerist's commenters voting them "worst company in America":

"We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."

I mean, even *on the website* a lot of people were pretty appalled that a bank whose actions range from "illegal" to "stupid" on a good day got beat out by OMG TEH GAMES SUCK LOL.
    God, I can't believe they missed Goldman Sachs, which is basically a front for COBRA.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't EA/Bioware mostly flip the 'phobes the bird (in PR speak)?

There's a scene you can have in ME3 where a heterosexual male Shepard tries to proposition the Comm officer, who turns out to be a lesbian. They did a lot of good facial animation in the game, but the 'oh...OHHHHHH, my mistake' that comes across makes me laugh every time.

Better, it's no big deal. You're playing chess, discussion happens, you play more chess.

Edit: the scene in question;
    "GUI interface" ...
    *twitch*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I'm curious, and I'm honestly not trying to troll, to flame bait, to whatever... I'm honestly curious. Does it really matter if someone within EA self-identifies as LGBT? Really? At all?

If it does, then the way they've handeled homosexual characters up till now is even more hideously offensive. They only included them, prior to Mass Effect 3, if it was a straight male turn on and even then they were adamant about how the characters "weren't lesbians at all" and that ridiculous elf in Dragon Age would literally fuck anything; that was their out - he was omnisexual, not gay. They spent such a ridiculous amount of effort making sure they really never had a regular gay male characters it was a fucking joke.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    What about Sky from Jade Empire? He was a same sex male romance option.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    But only if you were a huge douche to the straight options first.

He'll sleep with you, but only if you've torpedoed your other options.

Sort of a pity fuck.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I remember it being less about just a sex option and more of him genuinely wanting to be with your character after the games current crisis was over. But I could just be wanting to remember it fondly, it was the first same-sex romance option in a game I had seen and it impressed me that it was there.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I'm being overly harsh on it, to be honest. It was a full romance and not just sex, but you do need to tell both women to go to hell before it is accessible.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    What positive homosexual relationships/characters in video games are we comparing all these Bioware atrocities to?

And if Bioware was creating offensive homosexual characters and relationships in Dragon Age and ME1 and 2, why is it only after ME3 (where they do a better job) that the outrage comes up?

• Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If it does, then the way they've handeled homosexual characters up till now is even more hideously offensive. They only included them, prior to Mass Effect 3, if it was a straight male turn on and even then they were adamant about how the characters "weren't lesbians at all" and that ridiculous elf in Dragon Age would literally fuck anything; that was their out - he was omnisexual, not gay. They spent such a ridiculous amount of effort making sure they really never had a regular gay male characters it was a fucking joke.

DA:O had two male and two female romance option characters, two bisexual (each of whose narrative leaned them toward their own gender, frankly, but could be played as an opposite-sex romance) and two straight characters. DA2 had, again, two male and two female romance options, all of whom were bisexual (though one of them, as in DA:O, pretty clearly leans gay), and one straight male romance option in the DLC. It's pretty clear from some of the narratives that the romance-option characters have had same-sex romances (i.e., Fenris) even if you play an opposite-sex romance. There are NPCs who are bi, lesbian or gay. There was also a very well-publicized incident in the Bioware forums where some pantload whined about teh gay and David Gaider told him that DA was intended for groups other than straight guys so he could kindly jump in a lake.

Yes, there's room for improvement and yes, it would be great if DA3 has dedicated lesbian and gay romance options too, but their approach has been very LGBT-positive.

Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    mythago wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

DA:O had two male and two female romance option characters, two bisexual (each of whose narrative leaned them toward their own gender, frankly, but could be played as an opposite-sex romance) and two straight characters. DA2 had, again, two male and two female romance options, all of whom were bisexual (though one of them, as in DA:O, pretty clearly leans gay), and one straight male romance option in the DLC. It's pretty clear from some of the narratives that the romance-option characters have had same-sex romances (i.e., Fenris) even if you play an opposite-sex romance. There are NPCs who are bi, lesbian or gay. There was also a very well-publicized incident in the Bioware forums where some pantload whined about teh gay and David Gaider told him that DA was intended for groups other than straight guys so he could kindly jump in a lake.

Yes, there's room for improvement and yes, it would be great if DA3 has dedicated lesbian and gay romance options too, but their approach has been very LGBT-positive.

Very positive in comparison to what?

I'll admit what they're doing is very forward and good but it's still a small step that trips most of the way. And the guy is DA was NOT bisexual, like I said. He says outright he'll do anything as long as it feels good.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    What positive homosexual relationships/characters in video games are we comparing all these Bioware atrocities to?

And if Bioware was creating offensive homosexual characters and relationships in Dragon Age and ME1 and 2, why is it only after ME3 (where they do a better job) that the outrage comes up?

I don't think I've seen many people saying that the relationships are offensive for how bad they are (though to be clear/fair, romances in most video games are generally pretty terrible, but I'd say Bioware does some of the better ones overall), but there were some homophobes who gave them shit over possible gay romances in Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3.

Of course, 'lesbian' romance has been available since ME1 (technically; it's with an alien race that are all effectively female) and aside from a brief uninformed outcry from Fox News over sexual content in general (and massively ignorant shenanigans that were later walked back, I believe), nobody really gave a shit.

As with many things gay, there never seems to be much of an outcry until it's two dudes.

Forar on
  • Options

Because this is the first time you've noticed it, I would guess. I've been bitching about it since ME1 but every time I've seen it brought up it usually gets shouted down in seconds.

This discussion has been closed.