As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So an @, a D and a & walk into a bar

Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Social Entropy++
Do you love incredibly lethal dungeon crawls, but hate graphics? If so, have I got a genre for you.

Roguelikes!

It all started with a little game called Rogue, way back in the day in 1980. Some nerds wanted to take the rules for randomly generating a dungeon in AD&D and turn it into a computer game you could play by yourself. The computers at the time couldn't handle much of what we would call Graphics, so they used ASCII instead. Your dude is represented by a white @ who travels in a turnbased manner around rooms and corridors rendered in beautiful ASCII, collecting money, thwacking monsters and upgrading gear. Oh, and when your dude dies, that's it. You gotta start over. You can save, but if you get fucked by hobgoblins, the game deletes your save. This is cool because it encourages you to be smart about shit. If there's a fight you have no chance of winning, you're more likely to run away and prepare more if you've invested fuck knows how many hours in a character that is just as mortal as you.

So after Rogue took the nerd world by storm, a bunch of different groups of enterprising souls took the premise and extended it in a bunch of different directions. One of those groups made a game called Hack, which added stuff like stores, and also expanded the shit out of Rogue's list of items and monsters. This started one of the two major roguelike branches, because a couple years later Hack turned into NetHack, which is the game most folk who know about roguelikes think of when they think of the genre.

The other main branch came a couple years later with a little number called Angband. Thematically it's all Tolkien shit, you can be an elf or a dwarf or a hobbit, in your travels you run into Gollum and Saruman and Smaug. Your ultimate goal is to get to dungeon level 100 and kill Morgoth's punk ass.

Here are some roguelikes you should play.

158850-rogue.jpg
ROGUE: even though it's like 30 years old, it's still playable as shit. If you're used to Nethack or Angband it's gonna seem pretty simple; there's only like twenty different kinds of monsters and a handful of different types of equipment. There're no character classes or races, and your only visible stat is Strength. However it is hard as balls even by roguelike standards. There's a flash version you can play here and here's a bunch of info about mechanics and how to keep alive

nethackbig.jpg
NETHACK: Its predecessor mostly isn't really worth playing because this game has everything good about it plus a fuckload of other stuff. Basically NetHack takes Rogue's basic concept and expands on it hugely. Dungeon levels are still one screen big always, inventory works basically the same way, et cetera. Just as much of the game in NetHack is finding out what your stuff does and whether or not it'll kill you if you use it as killing monsters. There is a lot of arbitrary death in NetHack. I've got a pretty promising barbarian who just killed Medusa. There's a hella useful wiki here.

Rogue1.JPG
ANGBAND: The other main branch, Angband is almost exclusively about hitting fuckers with swords, shooting them with arrows and blowing them up with spells. Dungeon levels are way the hell bigger than in Rogue or NetHack, there's a lot more item variety, and you generally don't have to worry about not having access to basic shit like food and ammo thanks to the shops at the top level of the dungeon, which you can easily get back to from wherever using scrolls of recall. It doesn't have the same oh-hey-that-gnome-had-a-wand-of-death-i-guess-I'm-fucked kind of arbitrary difficulty that Nethack does, and there's way less weird interactions in general, but that doesn't mean NetHack's harder. Deep down in the dungeon, you can get killed if you make a single wrong move, but 90% of the time if you die, it's because you fucked up. I've won a couple times, and killing Morgoth as a dwarf fighter is probably the most difficult videgame thing I've ever done. Here's some artifact and monster spoilers. There are also about a million variants that change the game in tons of different ways, the most popular is probably TOME, which I haven't really spent enough time on to talk about.

adom.gif
ANCIENT DOMAINS OF MYSTERY: NetHackish single-screen dungeons and general interface, but with the addition of skills besides weapons, and an overworld map. It also has a huge number of classes and races to choose from and is generally pretty awesome. If anyone knows of a wiki or a spoiler page for ADOM, lemme know and I'll put it here.

ascii_screenshot_xomrevive.png
DUNGEON CRAWL STONE SOUP: This is a cool game, more in the Angband vein than NetHack. It's easier than either of them by a pretty good amount I think, but "easy roguelike" still translates to "oh Jesus this is hard." The coolest thing about Crawl is the auto-explore key. You press it and your guy zooms around the level exploring, stopping if he comes across a monster or an item. It takes a lot of the tedium out of playing a game where the dungeons are a bunch of screens tall and wide with lots of windy corridors. Wiki

doomrl001_r.png
DOOMRL: On its face this sounds completely retarded. An ASCII version of Doom, which is a game where all you do is run through corridors and rooms and kill mons...ohhhh. Seriously, it sounds dumb but it's hugely fun. It's short, only like 25 single-screen levels, but it distinguishes itself from other roguelikes by being predominantly about shooting rather than melee. No stats in the same way that other roguelikes have them besides health and armor, but there's a skill tree that's pretty awesome. My last game I ended up leveling into a skill that made rapid fire weapons like chainguns and plasma rifles not take any ammo. Wiki

scrshot9.gif
IVAN: This is the roguelike equivalent of putting your dick in a blender. Every single goddamn thing is potentially deadly. I hope nothing makes you throw up, because your stomach acid will dissolve your skull and murder you! I hope you don't get near an explosion while you're carrying wands, because the wands will explode and murder you! IVAN is everything that's bad about NetHack, presented in tiles instead of ASCII. Is there a wiki? I don't even know. I think the developer stopped updating awhile back.

v689d5.jpg
DWARF FORTRESS: Here's kind of an odd duck. There's a roguelike adventure mode which is both ridiculously fun and horrendously broken. You can do stuff like rip a goblin's arm off and use it as a club to beat him and his buddies to death. There's no magic to speak of, and at this point you can't do a lot as a single dwarf, but the developer has plans to allow a dwarf adventurer to set up a modest home for himself, which might attract other dwarfs, at which point, hey, you're playing the real draw of Dwarfort, which is the fantastic fortress building mode. Now this isn't strictly a roguelike. It's in realtime and you don't actually have direct control over anything, but I don't care. It's fantastic and you should play it. Hot dwarf wiki action

Epic+Dungeon.jpg
EPIC DUNGEON: Indie game on 360. It isn't strictly a roguelike cause it's realtime, but it has random levels and loot, and permadeath. It's like a buck and totally worth it.

ra9q8x.jpg
INCURSION: Pretty cool game that uses the 3rd edition D&D rules. Lots of different ways to play with good descriptions of combat if I remember correctly, it's been awhile since I played it. It hasn't been updated in like two years but the dude who made it says he's coming out with a version that has a lot of shiny new shit in it, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

screens_0_15a.png
DESKTOP DUNGEONS: A cool-ass roguelike disguised as a puzzle game. You go through a dungeon as one of a bunch of different race/class combos and kill monsters, natch. But most of the monsters will kill your ass dead when you first start, so you have to work your way up from the weak ones until eventually you're strong enough to kill the boss on the level. You have to be careful about what monsters you kill in what order, because besides healing potions the only way to keep up your strength is uncovering tiles you haven't been before. So a lot of walking around without killing anything will screw you in the end. Checking out the site it looks like they're gonna start selling a version with a bunch of bells and whistles that weren't in the version I've played, but they're gonna keep that version up for free still which is pretty cool.

qnu55c.jpg
DIABLORL: Now here's an interesting thing. It's a roguelike (made by the dude who did DoomRL) based on a game that was based on roguelikes. I only just found out about it so I can't say whether it's good or not, but in the half hour I've been playing it it's been fun, even if it's basically piss easy so far.

If there're any games I missed you think I should add, post that shit. ROGUE IS KING. ALL HAIL ROGUE.

edit: fixed anti-hotlinking image

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
hitting hot metal with hammers
Typhoid Manny on

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    nethack is literally the best

(this is only because i know a shit ton of spoilers and obsessively played it for a while, dungeon crawl stone soup is probably the best general roguelike)

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OP, your first image is an anti-hotlinking one.

Smasher on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I played a lot of Moria as a kid.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    I recommend The Sewer Goblet, produced by Tales of Games (creators of Charles Barkley: Shut up And Jam! Gaiden)

i can't seem to get to their site. do you have a link? because holy shit a wu tang roguelike.

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Stone soup is so much fucking fun. Especially the multi player aspect.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i'm really surprised at how well Rogue holds up. there's seriously nothing to it, but it stays interesting as hell all the time. also i think it's harder than nethack

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i'm really surprised at how well Rogue holds up. there's seriously nothing to it, but it stays interesting as hell all the time. also i think it's harder than nethack

it's definitely harder than nethack

but i agree, for its simplicity its surprisingly fun

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    fuck rattlesnakes

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    rogue depended heavily on finding a ring of slow digestion

I liked angband a lot but it just started to drag later on with the exp required to level and sheer number of monsters/items on a level. Nethack is my favorite I've gotten pretty good at it

ascensionn.jpg

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i feel like doing a genoless monk

but im lazy

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did anyone else ever fuck around with ZZT?

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Back when I was about 13 my History teacher offered a prize to anyone in the class that could beat Angband. I think I got the furthest out of anyone (which was nowhere near the end of the game and just a few levels down but still).

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you can get killed if you make a single wrong move, but 90% of the time if you die, it's because you fucked up

I really have to disagree with the assertion that nethack just kills you. Even though it may seem like that, there are people who ascend every attempt (or close to). You might just not realise what you did incorrectly.

There are telnet clients (pretty sure they're telnet based) that let you play nethack online on their servers (you can also watch other people play). These places host tournaments fairly often where they play for best streak of 7 games. All the top entries are always 7 ascensions, so it goes by speed (I'm almost certain it is speed, could be points but is unlikely).

Although I always agree with the statement: Commercial games want you to win, Nethack doesn't care if you win or lose and SLASH'EM wants you dead.

I think I made it to Gehenna a few times in Nethack but never finished.
    My brother has a win as a tourist though, which he was happy with. He also won SLASH'EM I think as a ranger.
    So he focuses on Dungeon Crawl where I think he was 1 rune short of the sort of 'bottom of the dungeon' event. Not too sure on the specifics of DCSS.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the thing with nethack is

once you ascend a couple times

you can probably ascend every single time you play, given that you play fully alert at all times

it's just that while you're learning to ascend, most of your deaths are going to feel like bullshit

although looking back you'll be amazed that you got yourself into situations or didn't take the necessary methods to get out of situations
    elbereth EVERYWHERE

i dunno, i think its a valid claim for most players that some of your deaths will be out of your control, because you got into a certain situation that an experienced player just wouldn't get into

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It would appear it is best of 13:

2008 results for one such tournament

Their rankings website and leaderboards are a bit shit to navigate and the link to 2010 results points to 2008 and backwards.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'd say some classes you can do that with. for others you need to get a bit lucky with items. I can start a valkyrie game and probably make it to at least the castle, but not as a healer or monk.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    also, while thinking about nethack stuff, if you start to get into the game play on nao on telnet

easy way to get item colors and also everyone in the irc can laugh at your deaths!

edit: yeah healer is probably not entirely ascendable every game, but i think most are -- if you take your time

speedy ascensions are a different matter

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I recommend The Sewer Goblet, produced by Tales of Games (creators of Charles Barkley: Shut up And Jam! Gaiden)

i can't seem to get to their site. do you have a link? because holy shit a wu tang roguelike.

a what

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They're not really out of your control though :P
    You're getting into the bad spot because you don't know what you're doing, not because the game is forcing you into the bad spot.
    So you might not be doing well, but it is down to your lack of experience not the game.

I'm not trying to call people out on sucking, I'm not great at all. But 99.9% of the time whether you win or lose is in your hands.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am having the weirdest problem with nethack.

I cannot remember which buttons do what, and the readme file...opens the Mass Effect 2 launcher.

Glaring so hard at my computer right now, why is it doing this to me?

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You're getting into the bad spot because you don't know what you're doing, not because the game is forcing you into the bad spot.
    So you might not be doing well, but it is down to your lack of experience not the game.

I'm not trying to call people out on sucking, I'm not great at all. But 99.9% of the time whether you win or lose is in your hands.

gnome with wand of death in the mines is kinda dickish the first time it happens though, no way around it
    should have gotten some mithril or a cloak before going deep though!

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Demonspawn Chaos Knight of Xom in Dungeon Crawl is a great idiotic way to pass time

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    nymph charming you, removing your shield of reflection and zapping you with your own wand of death

while carrying the amulet on your way back up

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    A few stats from that 2008 tournament to save people the trouble:

Approximately 1300 players and 22800 completed games.

Winner: 13/13 ascensions.

Most ascensions by one player: 18

Fastest Ascension (turns): 8035 (04:59 realtime)
    Fastest Ascension (realtime): 02:20 (22931 turns)

Lowest Scored Ascension: 24920 points
    Highest Scored Ascension: 74525676 points

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In Nethack I have died from eating Medusa ("Maybe I'll get stone immunity?") and from eating Death (fat finger, as I recall--it sure wasn't on purpose)

While the latter was an accident it was still far more painful because it's the one death the game fucking editorializes on ("unwisely ate the corpse of Death")

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I really like the super fast turns victories and lowest points. The tickle me the right way.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No, but seriously Nethack / Windows / Whoever is responsible for this.

Type of file: File.

THIS HELPS ME NOT AT ALL, OK?

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

gnome with wand of death in the mines is kinda dickish the first time it happens though, no way around it
    should have gotten some mithril or a cloak before going deep though!

Yeah it is sucks, but it is your own fault entirely :P

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »
    In Nethack I have died from eating Medusa ("Maybe I'll get stone immunity?") and from eating Death (fat finger, as I recall--it sure wasn't on purpose)

While the latter was an accident it was still far more painful because it's the one death the game fucking editorializes on ("unwisely ate the corpse of Death")

I had a few experiences on the plane of fire trying to figure out how to escape lava. not the best way to be doing trial and error

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Seriously though SLASH'EM is a total cunt.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Now I'm trying to remember all the other games that have Rougelike gameplay* in other settings..... Space Rangers, umm....

*going deeper and trying to get stronger and dying a horrible death.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I just remembered, Nethack (and #nethack) was the cause of my favorite quote of all time

<aioli> i hope whoever invented the mysterious force gets his or her penis caught in a gear
    <raxvulpine> Your attempt to be gender-neutral there only sort of worked.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My persona favorite is ADOM

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    100 rogues for the ipod is a pretty good roguelike lite

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've played hundreds of rounds of Crawl and never even gotten close to a win. I think my highest level character was 10.

It makes me sad.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Moriveth wrote: »
    My persona favorite is ADOM

ADOM was my first roguelike. i got it from download.com when my dad first decided to get internet in like '96. i kept dying over and over and over and didn't even really understand what was going on until a bunch of years later, but it still has a soft spot in my heart.

also! it took me until like two years ago to figure out that if you lead the insane carpenter to the healer in the quest the village elder gives you, the healer teaches you a skill that like triples your natural regen

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

a what

This link works.

welp

nevermind

Zandracon on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man, I've played so much angband. An indie game I'm very interested in that's gold but hasn't actually been published yet is Dungeons of Dredmor by Gaslamp Games. It's going to be just $5 and it looks like a lot of fun.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zandracon wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

a what

This link works.

it's giving me a 404

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I saw this thread and immediately had to come and inform you all about a wonderful roguelike you've never heard of called Doom: The Roguelike and - oh, it's in the OP.

Seriously though I love it and you all gotta try it. It's the only roguelike I've played that does projectiles in a sane way and the combat isn't just "get next to the monster and then keep trying to move into it until it dies". Well there is that too, but there's chainsaw sounds :P

Kharnor on