As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    How are you folks adding people to your circle?

I go to Circles then people then search but every email I put that's not on my contacts already doesn't bring up any search results.

So add them to your contacts. :rotate:

A lot of these are random twitter folks asking for invites. Or PA folks I wanted to send invites in. Was hoping not to clutter up my contacts.

Kyougu on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I think you just need to use common sense. Internet common sense. Dont show anything to anyone that you dont want anyone to see. Make sure "Friends" means "FRIENDS I TRUST" if you choose to show anything personal. Problem solved.

Besides ... you can make infinite circles and can put people in multiple circles. So you can have "Friends" and "Friends I trust" with the latter also being in the first circle. If it is something you feel comfortable sharing with a bigger group, you can use "Friends", but your closer friends will still see it.

TheBigEasy on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    I think you just need to use common sense. Internet common sense. Dont show anything to anyone that you dont want anyone to see. Make sure "Friends" means "FRIENDS I TRUST" if you choose to show anything personal. Problem solved.

Besides ... you can make infinite circles and can put people in multiple circles. So you can have "Friends" and "Friends I trust" with the latter also being in the first circle. If it is something you feel comfortable sharing with a bigger group, you can use "Friends", but your closer friends will still see it.
    Didn't realize this was how it worked. Very intriguing.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    I already feel that I'm missing the groups from Facebook.

I play Warhammer with friends, so I made a circle for those guys. But stuff posted there just shows up as a generic post, there's nothing to tell them that hey, this is about the Warhams.

Echo on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's a "Disable reshare" option now.

MKR on
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If there are invites available, I'd love one. Gracias M.W!

Like others have said, the circles thing is Facebook's biggest weakness. A lot of my friends and I are working musicians, and we get friend requests from fans and people who come to our shows. There's stuff we'd like to share with real friends & family, but not with the dude who came to the show last week. I'm a bass player and it's not really worth it for me to set up a fan page just for myself, so I'm kinda put in a position where I'm quieter on facebook than I otherwise would be, because I have a lot of friends that I don't really even know, and since I'm a semi-public figure, I don't really want to be a jerk and not accept their friend request. Google+ sounds like it fixes that problem.

Gracias!

jimb213 on
    edited June 2011
    Look, I'll be honest. I really want Google+ to work out for the sole reason that I can then quit Facebook and never again read about what some girl I used to know in high school fed her kid for breakfast this morning.

So please, let's make this one work.

Edit - Has anyone that's asked since yesterday actually gotten an invite yet, or is it still disabled?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    edited June 2011
    I made a post and shared it to a friend's email. Seems to be working.

Echo on
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think it is still disabled. Maybe they are letting new people in for a few hours each day?

Jollus on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm still waiting from the bottom of page 1, so either no, or I'm unlucky. Looking forward to trying it though.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait, hold onto your britches, something beta!

If Google is kind enough to re-enable invite-whoring, my email is: twoquestions[at]gmail

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If invites are still available please send one to therockingm22(at)gmail.com.

I feel like giving this shot even though my previous experiences with social networking result me promptly forgetting about it after being spammed by a bunch of people i don't know.

The Rocking M on
    edited June 2011
    Echo wrote: »

Yes. Make a circle, put everyone in there you want to invite and than make a post to that circle. Once you added that circle to the posts recipients, there is a "And send by Email to x users who don't use Google+ yet" message next to the "Share" Button.

Share that post/message and everyone in that circle gets a mail and can join Google+. Has worked for some colleagues and friends so far in the past hour.

TheBigEasy on
    edited June 2011

Yes. Make a circle, put everyone in there you want to invite and than make a post to that circle. Once you added that circle to the posts recipients, there is a "And send by Email to x users who don't use Google+ yet" message next to the "Share" Button.

Share that post/message and everyone in that circle gets a mail and can join Google+. Has worked for some colleagues and friends so far in the past hour.

Alright guys, you know what to do.

I'll make sure and repay the favor if I get an invite. My info is on Page 2.

Edit - Nevermind, I got one. Thanks!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm I cant figure out how to share photos that I have in my albums already...Clicking on the album has no share option, clicking on the camera in "share" brings up the option to get it off my desktop or phone.

Also I sent a bunch of things to people who dont have Google+ yet, and it isnt in my stream.

Then I sent something to my girlfriend, and it is. Does that mean she's in - and I didnt even realize it?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wouldn't object to an invite.

EDIT: Got one

Tomanta on
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ToyD wrote: »
    Sign me up for the invite train! Choo !

jamest (dot) social at gmail of course.

In my opinion, if google+ isn't available in a good mobile format, it won't make it for me. I don't EVER use Facebook on a PC unless it's to reset my privacy settings after they opted me in for their latest way for the Internet to track me. I need the social stuff to be mobile friendly and fully featured for mobile devices to work. Stuff happens and I want to post it now, not when I get home. Or I'm bored now waiting for something.

The privacy improvements and video features I hear about intrigue me also. Especially the video group chatting. Thatd be awesome for family. Maybe they'll have fan page type of stuff also because homie loves a good deal and free stuff.

The android app work pretty good expect huddles. That seems to never load up but this is still beta. Still waiting for invites to open back up. From the blogs invites where fly out like crazy and now they are figuring a way to hand them out with more control.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
    edited June 2011
    Hmm - when you start to type in a name, if you want to share with someone specific (or the search bar up top), it suggests people based off of EVERYONE on Google+. Does Facebook do that? I cant imagine that once this thing gets huge.

If anyone wants to add me - search "Mike Marks". I have nothing to hide! And the things I do have to hide you will not see because of circles!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited June 2011
    Hmm - when you start to type in a name, if you want to share with someone specific (or the search bar up top), it suggests people based off of EVERYONE on Google+. Does Facebook do that? I cant imagine that once this thing gets huge.

It does. It just prioritizes people you know or are X degrees separated from.

Echo on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    looks like I can only use google+ on android with my main 'google phone' account, which is not the same as my main google account since I switched (the 'send mail on behalf of' was too annoying).

Hrm

Alegis on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It looks like they closed the loophole. I got an e-mail from whoever was testing, but the e-mail just says that they're working with a closed group of testers, and if you can't get in you need to try back later. When I followed the link to read the post and logged in, it told me I needed an invite to sign into Google+.

twmjr on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's not just the loophole, they've temporarly halted all invites. Demand was insane apparently :(

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can get in and view the post and profile, but it won't let me get anywhere else in the site. I can search for people, and that is about it.

Jollus on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's not just the loophole, they've temporarly halted all invites. Demand was insane apparently :(

That seems like something they should have expected...

But they probably did. Giving unlimited invites, even for a short period, lets people create their own circles without having to deal with hoping all of their friends managed to randomly get selected.

Tomanta on
    edited June 2011
    twmjr wrote: »
    It looks like they closed the loophole. I got an e-mail from whoever was testing, but the e-mail just says that they're working with a closed group of testers, and if you can't get in you need to try back later. When I followed the link to read the post and logged in, it told me I needed an invite to sign into Google+.
    Yup, same here.

Thanks though to whoever sent me the email. I appreciate the effort.

Edit - It worked the second time. Thanks!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    exploit did not work

thanks for the invite try though

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is this part of what changed my google search page into a mess of confusing gadgets when before it was just a nice clean search bar, without any clear option to revert it back to way it was before even after deleting all the stupid gadgets? Because if so, goddamnit.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited June 2011
    I am officially confused by the Photos tab.

Is it linked to Picassa? I can move everything from flickr to Picasa, but it keeps putting things in albums, and as far as I can tell there's no way to move things into different albums.

I also have no idea how to share a picture Ive uploaded. For example my "Scrapbook" is Public. I have no idea what that is, and I cant figure out how to make it private. Even weirder, I have no option to share any picture in it. I figured there'd be a way to pick a picture from it, and send it to a circle - so they could see it - and then go to the album or whatever. Nothing.

Also the "Photos from Posts" just says that "recipients of original post" are the ones that can view it. Well, a lot of these were from my Buzz account...I have no idea who those people are. Why cant it be more specific?

The photo section is a pretty big disappointment right now...

mxmarks on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Is this part of what changed my google search page into a mess of confusing gadgets when before it was just a nice clean search bar, without any clear option to revert it back to way it was before even after deleting all the stupid gadgets? Because if so, goddamnit.

Kind of this.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks like I chose a bad time to sleep and work - come back and all kinds of fancy loopholes and invite-mania have passed. Oh well! Might be towards the bottom of the chain, but if anyone gets around to sparing an invite, I could use one too! amazingrobots at gmail.

Speaking of Google, is there any way to ditch the black bar at the top of the site now?

summeryclept on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Speaking of Google, is there any way to ditch the black bar at the top of the site now?

Only with a script or a plugin, at the moment.

wonderpug on
    edited June 2011
    What I don't quite understand is this. So I have a circle ... and I put some random person in there, one I found through the search function. I never had any prior contact whatsoever to that person ... but that person is part of Google+

Once I put that person into the circle ... Do they automatically receive everything I post to that circle? Or is do they have to confirm something somewhere?

TheBigEasy on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What I don't quite understand is this. So I have a circle ... and I put some random person in there, one I found through the search function. I never had any prior contact whatsoever to that person ... but that person is part of Google+

Once I put that person into the circle ... Do they automatically receive everything I post to that circle? Or is do they have to confirm something somewhere?

I would imagine, like most any other social networks, the other person has to accept the friend request before your content gets pushed to them. Unless it's the sort of thing where if you add someone, you automatically get THEIR public content, but they will only get your content if they add you.

I don't currently use Facebook, but I could see myself jumping into this. When they start accepting invites again of course.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited June 2011

Is it linked to Picassa? I can move everything from flickr to Picasa, but it keeps putting things in albums, and as far as I can tell there's no way to move things into different albums.

I also have no idea how to share a picture Ive uploaded. For example my "Scrapbook" is Public. I have no idea what that is, and I cant figure out how to make it private. Even weirder, I have no option to share any picture in it. I figured there'd be a way to pick a picture from it, and send it to a circle - so they could see it - and then go to the album or whatever. Nothing.

Also the "Photos from Posts" just says that "recipients of original post" are the ones that can view it. Well, a lot of these were from my Buzz account...I have no idea who those people are. Why cant it be more specific?

The photo section is a pretty big disappointment right now...

Scrapbook appears to be a default public album. I have a album I call "drop box" that I dump pix to till I sort them out assuming I got a bunch of pix that go in separate albums. I haven't tried to to share any pix from it but I know my regular albums I have to set the privacy to what I need it for.

Now for the buzz pix thing I would send in feedback or hopfully someone who fart around with that can help.

Mega Playboy on
    edited June 2011

They see everything sent to that circle. For example you put grandma in the same circle with your drinking buddy you have to explain next holiday why you where doing body shot. :!:

Mega Playboy on
    edited June 2011

They see everything sent to that circle. For example you put grandma in the same circle with your drinking buddy you have to explain next holiday why you where doing body shot. :!:

It means they have access to see anything in that circle. It's not like it automatically gets pushed to their stream unless they have you in a circle, or check your profile which shows all your posts you've granted them access to.

Echo on
    edited June 2011

It means they have access to see anything in that circle. It's not like it automatically gets pushed to their stream unless they have you in a circle, or check your profile which shows all your posts you've granted them access to.

Maybe it a setting but I have friend post a pic that are being commented by his friends. The pic and and the comments are showing up in my stream. His friends that are commented the pic are not in any circle on my end.

Mega Playboy on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Is it linked to Picassa?

Yes.
    I can move everything from flickr to Picasa, but it keeps putting things in albums, and as far as I can tell there's no way to move things into different albums.

From what I have found, you have to go into your albums in Picasa to move photos between albums. Open the photo you want to move, click "actions", then "move to another album".

The Scrapbook is a default public album. To share, click the Share box on the top right, then click and drag the picture to it.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited June 2011
    Maybe it a setting but I have friend post a pic that are being commented by his friends. The pic and and the comments are showing up in my stream. His friends that are commented the pic are not in any circle on my end.

Yes, he shared it with one of his circles that contains you and those friends.

Echo on
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yes, he shared it with one of his circles that contains you and those friends.

I'll elaborate on this, with the caveat that this is merely my interpretation after playing around a bit:

Your friend - let's call him Bob, because it's always Bob - submits an image, sharing it with a circle (say, 'Friends'). You're in this circle, and so you have the ability to see the post. If you have Bob in a circle, this post will appear in your stream. If you do not, it is still shared with you (and if my inference is correct, made visible under Incoming)

Bob's ex, Alice, then comments on this image. Here, we can make an engineering decision, with Google electing to incorporate the comment into the original post's privacy settings. This allows us to view conversations coherently, and fits with the concept of semi-public conversations, and the Facebook model.

Linden on