As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spilt milk on keyboard, buttons doing strange things

Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Spilt milk on keyboard, alt key now opens the calculator, backspace doesnt delet ebut opens up weird html things in chrome, this is to name but a few. This all happened about 6 hours ago now. While i can handle sticky keys this is a pain in the ass, is it fixable? Or do i just buy anothe rkeyboard?

League of Legends - Enzo III
Zombie Monkey on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You can run it through the dishwasher (top rack) to try and clean it. Make sure it dries before you use it again.
    Any time electronics get wet, you want to turn them off/unplug them ASAP.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just buy a new keyboard. They're, what, $20 for a regular old USB keyboard these days? Just buy a new one and toss the old one- a busted USB keyboard isn't worth trying to raise from the dead.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    You can run it through the dishwasher (top rack) to try and clean it. Make sure it dries before you use it again.

If running through dishwasher, you have to remove the circuit board stuff first.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is this a computer running windows? Does your keyboard work on another computer?

It sounds like some weird macro or something, Check your keyboard shortcuts, I'm pretty sure windows doesn't have a keyboard shortcut for calculator so the milk might just be a coincidence.

ps: the topic title made me think of the TV show "Ctrl" :)

Pure Din on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »

If running through dishwasher, you have to remove the circuit board stuff first.

No you don't. In fact it's exactly the circuit board that you want to clean. As long as the circuit isn't powered while it's going through the dishwasher (not even sure how you'd manage to do this) and as long as it is completely absolutely dry before trying to use it again, it will be fine.

You probably don't want to run it in any kind of heated drying cycle, just use an air dry setting, and you may want to use like a light/gentle setting if you have one. After it's done, you'll want to continue to let the keyboard air dry for a long time -- preferably a day or more to make sure it's completely dry before you use it again.

Though, if this is just a standard cheap USB keyboard, you can probably pick one up for $5-20 pretty easily.

Daenris on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Daenris wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

No you don't. In fact it's exactly the circuit board that you want to clean. As long as the circuit isn't powered while it's going through the dishwasher (not even sure how you'd manage to do this) and as long as it is completely absolutely dry before trying to use it again, it will be fine.

You probably don't want to run it in any kind of heated drying cycle, just use an air dry setting, and you may want to use like a light/gentle setting if you have one. After it's done, you'll want to continue to let the keyboard air dry for a long time -- preferably a day or more to make sure it's completely dry before you use it again.

Though, if this is just a standard cheap USB keyboard, you can probably pick one up for $5-20 pretty easily.

Well mine died horribly when I tried that, so YMMV.

SniperGuy on