Options

[GAME ON] Might and Magic: Heroes VI demo is here, Check OP for link. Game is out!

• Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote:

Ok I'm sure the Internet will correct me, but I played this last night and was very happy. I love the reverence for the series shown via the music - in general I thought all the presentation has a good level of polish compared to H5.

A lot of the changes are subtle but interesting. A few other comments:

- the loss of extra resource type bugged me less than I thought it would
    - the loss of the town screen bugged me more than I thought it would
    - leveling up is fun now, its something you "do" and put a lot of thought in
    - tactically, it seems there is more depth even though there are less factions

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    You know...I've liked these games over the years but I gotta say after another 1 or 2 sequels i might be convinced that they are just selling us the same game with a graphics change.

Kings bounty was at least insanely wacky at times

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Heroes VI changes up several things with the heroes formula, its definitely more than just a graphical facelift.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So its sounding kind of like HoMM VI is like Civ V. It changes some core mechanics in a big way.

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Hooray demo! Am I correct that the main difference between the demo and the beta is that the beta features multi-player?

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Oh, and several more maps and duel mode.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Docshifty wrote:
    So its sounding kind of like HoMM VI is like Civ V. It changes some core mechanics in a big way.

While I am happy with both, I would say the HoMM paradigm shift is nowhere as severe as the Civ V shift.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I downloaded the Demo yesterday, and after playing through a tutorial Map and a half, I'd have to say that this game is better than HOMM5. Something about it didn't quite click with me, but this game seems to have whatever was missing, so it's likely going to be worth it.

Dunno about all this online dynasty stuff though.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Definitely better than Homm5 but theres something missing I feel. Something about it feels very... sterile?

• Options
    edited August 2011
    The dynasty stuff can be turned off if you desire, but if you want it on its little bonuses you pay for with points from achievements you can use to give yourself a slight advantage in skirmish or online games with it enabled. Its basically a way to further diversify the heroes you choose, which can be turned off.

edit: It is currently in the beta and working and I've used it, the bonuses are stuff like +3 magic, +15% experience, +3 growth of core creatures, etc. With some more situational/interesting ones. Dynasty stuff doesn't have to affect you if you don't want it too.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    Been playing the beta of this, my god it's so fun. Three weeks!

• Options
    So this comes out thursday. Alright, too bad the beta ended.

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Surprised there isn't more buzz about this game. Probably my all-time favorite turn based strategy game series. I was a bit disappointed by 4 and 5. 4 was a great game but the multiplayer was completely broken and 5 just wasn't as good as 3 and 4.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I'd love to get this game, but hate to drop 50 bucks on a game when I already have tons of them lying around unplayed

• Options
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    i love strategy games like this, but I'm kind of on the fence.

I played the demo and enjoyed the gameplay, but there's quite a few bugs (like when you use a hero attack, the sound doesn't even play when the strike hits). I know you should expect things from a beta to be fixed, but sadly you can't really count on that anymore, way too many games have come out this year that still had the same old beta bugs.

If a dev would just say how old of a build that would be, or maybe said "yeah, we fixed bugs" it might convince me but I haven't been able to find any of that.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Frei wrote:
    i love strategy games like this, but I'm kind of on the fence.

I played the demo and enjoyed the gameplay, but there's quite a few bugs (like when you use a hero attack, the sound doesn't even play when the strike hits). I know you should expect things from a beta to be fixed, but sadly you can't really count on that anymore, way too many games have come out this year that still had the same old beta bugs.

If a dev would just say how old of a build that would be, or maybe said "yeah, we fixed bugs" it might convince me but I haven't been able to find any of that.

I haven't played the demo, so I can't say conclusively, but in the beta, quite a few bugs were fixed between builds -- though a few remained, even in the latest beta build. So they were definitely attempting to squash a lot of the bugs, and they got a great many of them. Hard to say how that will continue though.

• Options
    Well, that's good to know.

The game is 10 or 11 dollars cheaper on Amazon, so I may just end up getting it.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I know nothing of Might and Magic other than Clash of Heroes. I'm interested in this though.

I'm gonna miss Arwen :winky:

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Clash of Heroes was a prequel to Heroes V, and this is set even before Clash of Heroes.

I'm all preloaded and ready to go.

• Options
    Preloaded and very psyched to give it a go.

Anyone up for multiplayer tonight?

• Options
    I may be. I am usually on the PA vent server (info in the sticky on the top of the forums page).

Also this is out now. Go forth and play.

• Options
    Downloading now. I bought it on Amazon since it was 20 percent off there, so no preload for me.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
  • Options
    If you'd like to play at some point, add constrict0r on steam.

• Options
    Anyone else unable to play at all? I picked this up off Amazon, got it running on my PC just fine. Then I uninstalled it from mine and installed it on my wife's PC. When it finished patching, it gave me an error message: "The system cannot find the specified path." Whenever I try to launch the game, it brings up the small splash screen with the title and it just sits there forever. Googling hasn't turned up anything useful. I've reinstalled a half dozen times. Anyone have any ideas?

• Options
    Mine sat at the splash screen forever

then I rebooted and it worked

• Options
    Senshi wrote:

Tried that too, quite a few times. It's really frustrating. I wish I could find some info on this error message. I also get the same message whenever I try to open Editor.exe in the game's directory, so my guess is that it's just not installing correctly. Someone suggested elsewhere that it could be something left over from the beta causing the issue. I uninstalled it, looked for any settings folders in my Users folder, didn't find anything. I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    It works fine for me.

Also, to the person who asked, there is a scenario editor. You can launch it by right clicking the shortcut and selecting Scenario Editor. I'm sure there's a filepath for it in the game folder but I didn't look.

if you have it on steam, editor is here:

Steam/steamapps/common/might and magic heroes vi/Editor.exe

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Vi Monks wrote:
    Senshi wrote:

Tried that too, quite a few times. It's really frustrating. I wish I could find some info on this error message. I also get the same message whenever I try to open Editor.exe in the game's directory, so my guess is that it's just not installing correctly. Someone suggested elsewhere that it could be something left over from the beta causing the issue. I uninstalled it, looked for any settings folders in my Users folder, didn't find anything. I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

Maybe try finding the Ubisoft launcher thing and running that.

• Options
    Senshi wrote:
    Vi Monks wrote:
    Senshi wrote:

Maybe try finding the Ubisoft launcher thing and running that.

I have. It just gives me a message telling me to run the game I want to play. Program doesn't open. Come to think of it though, I don't see the launcher when I try to run the game. Just goes straight to the splash screen. Is that normal? I could have sworn I remembered the launcher coming first on my other PC.

• Options
    Yeah, when mine froze up there was no launcher, just instant splash screen. When it decided to work, launcher first, then splash, then game.

• Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    I put a few hours into the intro campaign tonight. Fairly impressed.

Good points:

1. Overall it feels like a tweaked H5, but there are some nostalgia-stroking nods to H2 and H3 with things like the music and even a map or 2 that's been revised. I never played much of H5 (trying to run it on a machine that struggled with it) so I'm enjoying this sofar as something nice and new.

2. The Dynasty system, something I didn't understand before hand, looks to be pretty sweet. Simply it looks like the more you play any games means more XP for your Dynasty account which lets you mod your deployment slightly on new maps. Looks to be a great reward system outside the individual games, in that a 4 hour game also gives a little credit into your overall progress. Shame it's so ingrained with Uplay so much.

3. Under the hood with things like skills, spells, items combinations it looks fairly indepth. Nothing's been dumbed down here.

Right now, pretty happy I jumped on board.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I played a little bit of the campaign and have had fun so far, although the lack of dungeon makes me cry

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Had my first disconnect from whatever online system they're calling it - campaigns boots me right back to the main menu. Luckily it was the start of the day and I had just moved and about to go into my castle - Little worried though about this happening later on after a huge battle and then having to redo it.

Stupid me for not reading up a bit more on the locks / trusting Ubisoft I suppose.

• Options
    Shutdown wrote:
    Had my first disconnect from whatever online system they're calling it - campaigns boots me right back to the main menu. Luckily it was the start of the day and I had just moved and about to go into my castle - Little worried though about this happening later on after a huge battle and then having to redo it.

Stupid me for not reading up a bit more on the locks / trusting Ubisoft I suppose.

At least you can play it! I'm still playing the demo because it actually works for me. :P

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I have yet to get the full game (too many games coming out, its gonna have to wait till next year or a good sale), but one thing I really liked in the demo was the ability to buy your entire avaliable army from a single location. One of the biggest headaches of V and prior games was, if you wanted one powerful unit to do most of your map exploring/fighting, you had to do a lot of fiddling with side heroes for transporting that "main" their city units. No more, you just buy everything from one city.

Awesome.

It was actually disorienting at first, I thought there was something broken and/or wrong with the demo. It seemed like none of my cities except the one was producing units. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Yeah, I'm liking that aspect, it's a very 'Rise of Legends' feel to it because I end up looking at the map in a way about 'expanding borders' rather than just armys playing musical-chairs.

• Options
    Also not having to worry about enemy heroes running about capping your mines due to new city area of control mechanics is nice.