As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim]: Its actually Oblivion 2, in fact, its probably just Fallout with swords.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would probably recommend something like Kobu's Character Advancement System over Realistic Leveling, if only because RL is a pain in the ass with its Minor skills contributing heavily toward level-ups. My old Spellsword-like character using it got so many level-ups off of just running around and raising his low Athletics that I may as well have just stuck with the basic system.

That and the default options make raising magic skills an absolute chore, since it makes how much xp you get for that skill dependent upon the amount of magicka that spell cost so that you can't spam 1-point cantrips for each school until you cap; this has the unfortunate side effect of making an Atronach mage shy of impossible to play without either exploiting bugs (absorbing your own Telekinesis spells; Draining one of your own skills so that it costs 0 gold to train at a trainer, etc.), alchemy (which will cause your levels to skyrocket), or going insane.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    When you're running Realistic Leveling with a sensible world scaling fix, the level ups are a good thing, since you aren't actively punished for raising any skills, and are, in fact, rewarded in the form of higher skill proficiencies and attributes. And even if you still think it's too quick, I think you can even change those values directly within Realistic Leveling's config file.

I don't know how the numbers work out on the magic thing, but don't you end up with a relatively comparable amount of experience earned per mp spent on higher cost spells to the vanilla spammy-grindy method? Plus the benefit of not wasting shitloads of time spamming and grinding?

• Options
    MercedCGMercedCG Registered User regular
    Please please please everyone who is getting back to playing Oblivion but knows they hate the layout/feel/lack of creativity in the world - download and install this mod - http://www.nehrim.de/infosEV.html

Its a German team of modders made total conversion mod. It is fantastic. It is the scariest, most atmospheric game I have played in the past few years, primarily because the dungeons are so well crafted and dangerous. It is everything Oblivion should have been.

Check out my video game related articles here and here...with more to come soon!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Monger wrote:
    When you're running Realistic Leveling with a sensible world scaling fix, the level ups are a good thing, since you aren't actively punished for raising any skills, and are, in fact, rewarded in the form of higher skill proficiencies and attributes. And even if you still think it's too quick, I think you can even change those values directly within Realistic Leveling's config file.

I don't know how the numbers work out on the magic thing, but don't you end up with a relatively comparable amount of experience earned per mp spent on higher cost spells to the vanilla spammy-grindy method? Plus the benefit of not wasting shitloads of time spamming and grinding?

With the default values and a sensible starting Destruction of about 40ish, a spell costing about 20% of your magicka (around 45-50ish) gets you around 1.2 or so Destruction skill xp, compared to a 1-magicka cantrip getting you about .3 less. If you aren't an Atronach or you mix it with a bunch of magic-altering mods (which I didn't have at the time), it may be better, but it was still a bit more annoying that it needed to be. The Speed/Agility-based melee skill gain didn't work out to be as obnoxious and slow as the magic-based stuff was.

In other words, it was more or less fine for my Spellsword (albeit with his Sword skill lagging a bit behind due to how fast he leveled), but when I rolled a pure Atronach mage it showed its shortcomings.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    New screenshots.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438253

Is it me or is the game getting progressively uglier since it's debut?

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    EVOL wrote:
    New screenshots.

Is it me or is the game getting progressively uglier since it's debut?

Those are console screenshots. The first images released were from the PC version.

For example:

http://images.uesp.net/1/15/SR-KhajiitArcher_wLegal.jpg
    http://images.uesp.net/4/4b/SR-Tavern01_wLegal.jpg
    http://images.uesp.net/4/4a/SR-Orc01_wLegal.jpg
    http://images.uesp.net/8/86/SR-GiantSpider_wLegal.jpg

Those look much better, don't they? Obviously the console footage isn't going to look as good. I remember reading E3 impressions from the press that said they were surprised Bethesda went with a 360 demo, because the PC version was so much better and absolutely blew them away.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Could anyone with experience please give me some tips for Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul?
    I've played for about one or two hours now and frequently run into trouble. I've made a pure mage character (Altmer, Class Mage, Birthsign Mage) which has over 230 Magicka and some low-level spells already. The problem is that everyone kills me in one hit: Imps, Thieves, even townsfolk. I really don't know what to do about this. My health is 64 and probably won't change since I'm not trying to raise my endurance, so I'm working on getting money so I can get better protect spells as well as offensive ones. Is there a strategy on how to become stronger?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Level conjuration and use something as a meatshield.

Illusion is also pretty good. Combining fear with a damage effect, or using a short duration invisibility spell to hit and run can be good ways of increasing survivability.

Haven't played for years, but from what I remember OOO will kick you in the balls every now and again though. It's supposed to be hard.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I installed everything but FCOM. (It occurred to me I never beat Oblivion.) Supreme Magicka screwed up on me because I installed features for mods I don't have. I'll either reinstall it or throw in the rest to use it to it's full potential.

Damn this game be pretty.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Could anyone with experience please give me some tips for Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul?
    I've played for about one or two hours now and frequently run into trouble. I've made a pure mage character (Altmer, Class Mage, Birthsign Mage) which has over 230 Magicka and some low-level spells already. The problem is that everyone kills me in one hit: Imps, Thieves, even townsfolk. I really don't know what to do about this. My health is 64 and probably won't change since I'm not trying to raise my endurance, so I'm working on getting money so I can get better protect spells as well as offensive ones. Is there a strategy on how to become stronger?

If you have 64 health and an Imp is killing you in one hit, something is very wrong. Even an Altmer should be able to survive a few hits from OOO enemies. What other mods are you running?

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    korodullin wrote:

If you have 64 health and an Imp is killing you in one hit, something is very wrong. Even an Altmer should be able to survive a few hits from OOO enemies. What other mods are you running?

Here's the list, running on the Oblivion GotY edition with all DLC:
    - OOO
    - Kobus Character Advancement System
    - Quest Award Leveler (Vile Lair, Knights of the Nine, Mehrunes Razor)
    - Living Economy
    - Cutthroat Merchants
    - Harvest Flora (This and the above two are parts of OOO)

Then there's a few graphic mods:
    - Atmospheric Weather System
    - Improved Sky Textures
    - Improved Facial Textures
    - Immersive Interiors
    - Ambient Dungeons
    - OBGE
    - Quarls Texture Pack
    - Bomrets Texture Pack (Shivering Isles)
    - Unique Landscapes

From what I see only KCAS could be at fault here, however I've had an idea: Maybe it's all my own fault since I set the difficulty to maximum right from the start? It wasn't mentioned in the manual but maybe OOO is meant to be played at default difficulty.

EDIT: Besides dieing in one hit I also don't do very much damage, so without cheating I'd have to cast fire on enemies for about ten minutes for them to die.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Living Economy is fairly old now. Enhanced Economy is newer and builds off it.

• Options
    Dashui wrote:
    Living Economy is fairly old now. Enhanced Economy is newer and builds off it.

It was just part of OOO, I wouldn't have looked for it on my own. But if you could recommend Enhanced Economy I'd be interested. What does it do?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2011
    korodullin wrote:

- OOO
    - Living Economy
    - Cutthroat Merchants

- Improved Sky Textures
    - Immersive Interiors
    - Ambient Dungeons
    - OBGE
    - Quarls Texture Pack
    - Unique Landscapes
    From what I see only KCAS could be at fault here, however I've had an idea: Maybe it's all my own fault since I set the difficulty to maximum right from the start? It wasn't mentioned in the manual but maybe OOO is meant to be played at default difficulty.

EDIT: Besides dieing in one hit I also don't do very much damage, so without cheating I'd have to cast fire on enemies for about ten minutes for them to die.

That is almost definitely your problem right there. The difficulty settings in TES games do nothing but alter how much damage you take and how much damage you deal. At max difficulty you take 600% damage while you only do 1/6 normal damage. I'd either swap it to default or even lower it below default a bit.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options

At maximum difficulty you deal 1/6 of the damage and take 6 times more, so yeah, that might be it.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    korodullin wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

- OOO
    - Living Economy
    - Cutthroat Merchants

- Improved Sky Textures
    - Immersive Interiors
    - Ambient Dungeons
    - OBGE
    - Quarls Texture Pack
    - Unique Landscapes

That is almost definitely your problem right there. The difficulty settings in TES games do nothing but alter how much damage you take and how much damage you deal. At max difficulty you take 600% damage while you only do 1/6 normal damage. I'd either swap it to default or even lower it below default a bit.

Good, that's easy to fix. I guess that due to the default difficulty multiplyer and OOO's own scaling the difficulty goes through the roof.
    Anyways, thanks for your help!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Plus you're an Altmer, which has weakness to elements right off the bat, so an Imp doing a 10-damage fireball really does 75 to an Altmer at max difficulty.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, Altmer is probably not the best race, especially if you're learning the ropes. Their handicap is a really bad one.

You don't need that much mana anyway, since it regenerates very quickly with decent willpower, mana potions are extremely easy to make, and spell costs are reduced dramatically at high skill levels.

Breton is a better mage all round, although if you want to be really hardcore, make on Orc mage!

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    lu tze wrote:
    Yeah, Altmer is probably not the best race, especially if you're learning the ropes. Their handicap is a really bad one.

You don't need that much mana anyway, since it regenerates very quickly with decent willpower, mana potions are extremely easy to make, and spell costs are reduced dramatically at high skill levels.

Breton is a better mage all round, although if you want to be really hardcore, make on Orc mage!

I WAS going for Breton in the beginning but thought that they'd be better suited for a defensive rather then an offensive playstyle. Though this isn't my first time playing Oblivion, I've played it two times prior to this and got bored of after about ten hours. This time I've got a way different perspective, caring about Immersion, Characters, Design/Art and not just playing for action. I have to say that that made the game way better then I had in mind.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    MercedCG wrote:
    Please please please everyone who is getting back to playing Oblivion but knows they hate the layout/feel/lack of creativity in the world - download and install this mod - http://www.nehrim.de/infosEV.html

Its a German team of modders made total conversion mod. It is fantastic. It is the scariest, most atmospheric game I have played in the past few years, primarily because the dungeons are so well crafted and dangerous. It is everything Oblivion should have been.
    I may just have to try this out. I've been craving some TES recently.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I think I've downloaded Nehrim two or three times.

Still haven't played it.

Probably should.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Can anyone help me getting two mods working?

I have not touched Wyre Bash, but stuff has been installing and I'm having the time of my life. But Kvatch is just around the corner and I'm still a weakass lvl 1 mage. I cannot play with Harvest Flora or Supreme Magicka activated. I did get Deadly Reflex going though.

I tried going into Wyre Bash, and it wont start. It told me to check the logs...
    File "Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw", line 31, in <module>
    bash.main()
    File "bash.pyo", line 311, in main
    File "basher.pyo", line 15386, in InitLinks
    File "basher.pyo", line 14297, in InitStatusBar
    IndexError: tuple index out of range
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    bash.main()
    bash.main()
    bash.main()
    bash.main()

What could that mean?

EDIT - I sorta kinda fixed it...I downgraded BOSS, upgraded Deadly Reflex and attached it's omod file to it. This got Supreme Magicka working too without complaint.

Only now the main menu has no popup text, so I can't read what I'm doing. Deadly Reflex also bitches about not having OBSE v19. I have version 20. I'll try downgrading...

Cantido on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    Demerdar wrote:
    I like how the thread shifts every couple of weeks from Skyrim talk to mod installations.

I get excited when I see a bunch of activity in this thread, hoping that some new info was released.

But it's mostly just mod talk or bitching about vanilla Oblivion. I personally wouldn't want to dive into any ES games right now, for the fear that I might get burned out on open-world games before Skyrim comes out.

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    Well if we could get a generalized Elder Scrolls thread to stay on the front page of the forum for more than a couple days we could do mod stuff there, but I don't even know what the last general TES thread we had was.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    I can't decide whether I want to read new info and see new images. I do, but I don't, so everything is fresh when I eventually play it. But I still want to seeee.

Classic indecision.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    There are a couple of things I would like to mod Oblivion with but Wyre Bash is really putting me off.

I have no idea what it is and nowhere is it explained in lamens. Infact, the Readme says "I wasn't going to upload this to TESnexus because I assumed people who had a brain would be able to find it. But I did. And this is really complicated If you're expecting to be able to install this with a nice shiny EXE file then you're wrong" - which is somewhat elitist and makes me think 'well, forget it then'.

I don't mind something being a little complex, but if you want people to use your shit then surely you want to explain it properly?

Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    That third picture?
    It's Fallout

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    There are a couple of things I would like to mod Oblivion with but Wyre Bash is really putting me off.

I have no idea what it is and nowhere is it explained in lamens. Infact, the Readme says "I wasn't going to upload this to TESnexus because I assumed people who had a brain would be able to find it. But I did. And this is really complicated If you're expecting to be able to install this with a nice shiny EXE file then you're wrong" - which is somewhat elitist and makes me think 'well, forget it then'.

I don't mind something being a little complex, but if you want people to use your shit then surely you want to explain it properly?

Funny enough I've been doing my modding predominantly with Mod Manager. It's always:
    1. Find the .omod version of the mod I want and let Mod Manager unzip it
    2. Use BOSS to sort.
    3. Go into Wyre Bash, choose the empty mod on the left called "Batched Patch", right click and select "Rebuild"
    4. Highlight everything and let it make the patch.
    5. Play Oblivion for testing.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote:
    That third picture?
    It's Fallout

I had that feeling the second i looked at those.

• Options
    Cantido wrote:

Funny enough I've been doing my modding predominantly with Mod Manager. It's always:
    1. Find the .omod version of the mod I want and let Mod Manager unzip it
    2. Use BOSS to sort.
    3. Go into Wyre Bash, choose the empty mod on the left called "Batched Patch", right click and select "Rebuild"
    4. Highlight everything and let it make the patch.
    5. Play Oblivion for testing.

I would advise against highlighting everything. Granted, I'm no expert on Wrye Bash, but from what I've read there are some options you want to leave blank; and as far as the Import ___ options, I've selected all of those before and it has caused issues. I only select what is absolutely necessary. For FCOM, that's Leveled List and Merge Patches (generally highlighting everything within the latter). All Natural requires you to select its boxes within two Import categories, thankfully described in its readme. If you use TNR and Tamriel Travelers, for instance, then you need to select those two .esp files under Import Faces.

• Options
    I still have no idea what the fuck to do with it or how to install it.

Oblivion is running nice right now and yeah, I'd like to be able to use Wyre related mods, but I also really don't want to fuck it up.

Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Well right now I'm going through a complete mod installation live on Steam with another PA'er. You could join the conversation, Bacon-BuTTy.

• Options
    Oh, sure thing!

I'll add you on steam.

Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say that I'm still waiting for this game and it's not out yet and I wish it were out now.

• Options
    Just to reiterate from a few pages back: Wrye Bash is a shitty, shitty program and I hate it and everything to do with it.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:
    Just to reiterate from a few pages back: Wrye Bash is a shitty, shitty program and I hate it and everything to do with it.

... but at least you spell it right.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    To reiterate from a few pages back or to say it for the first time if I haven't, Wrye Bash is really great, it was not very difficult to learn and it was incredibly easy to use, and it's stupendously powerful. I can't imagine Oblivion modding without it and it has saved more headaches than I could ever have thought possible. Wrye Bash + BOSS alone turn modding from "oh god why" into "the hardest part is picking how many awesome mods to install."

• Options
    I spent about an hour earlier trying to get Wrye Bash to even run on my new, clean installation of Oblivion. I ended up having to downgrade to a months-old outdated version because the newest one simply would not work no matter what.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    The problem we had was that the latest version wouldn't want to run. I'm still running version 292 and most likely Python 03a. The latest version of Bash refused to start.

• Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote:
    MercedCG wrote:

I may just have to try this out. I've been craving some TES recently.

I've never heard of this before and I'm reinstalling Oblivion and downloading the mod this very second. I hope to christ Oblivion doesn't start it's crashing every 15 minute bullshit it was doing to me last time I tried to play.

This discussion has been closed.