As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim]: Its actually Oblivion 2, in fact, its probably just Fallout with swords.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:
    I am reading various discussions/arguments about these sites on other forums, some people saying sites like CDkeysdiscount and UltimatumGames are totally cool, others saying to watch out because many/most of such sites send you keys that can only be registered in Russia or Thailand or something.

I have your word that the Batman AC keys are legit, and their Skyrim page says "region free"...hmm.

The sites work by buying region free keys in eastern europe where they are priced much lower then the UK or the US and then the sites turn around and sell them at a discount from the US/UK price while still making money. Apparently steam can take action towards your account for using keys from other regions excessively but it doesn't looks like they ever actually do anything.

I didn't see anything in the Steam Subscriber Agreement about this. It seems to me that if you buy a legitimate key, and you can register that key with Steam, I'm not sure what action Steam could take towards your account that doesn't violate its license. Obviously if you're registering pirated keys that's another story, but if it really is a legitimate copy you're good to go.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    From what I was reading it seems like it isn't so much Steam itself that has a problem with it, but rather occasionally certain publishers (like Activision) get really pissy about people using out-of-region keys and rescind them, although in at least some cases replacement keys from the "proper" region were issued.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    but if it really is a legitimate copy you're good to go.

But it's not entirely legitimate. That's the point. You're circumventing their regional pricing. If they wanted you to buy it for the Eastern European price, they would offer it at that price.

As the popularity of this loophole increases, don't be surprised if Steam (by way of publishers) starts taking a stand.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    ultimakay wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:
    I am reading various discussions/arguments about these sites on other forums, some people saying sites like CDkeysdiscount and UltimatumGames are totally cool, others saying to watch out because many/most of such sites send you keys that can only be registered in Russia or Thailand or something.

I have your word that the Batman AC keys are legit, and their Skyrim page says "region free"...hmm.

The sites work by buying region free keys in eastern europe where they are priced much lower then the UK or the US and then the sites turn around and sell them at a discount from the US/UK price while still making money. Apparently steam can take action towards your account for using keys from other regions excessively but it doesn't looks like they ever actually do anything.

I didn't see anything in the Steam Subscriber Agreement about this. It seems to me that if you buy a legitimate key, and you can register that key with Steam, I'm not sure what action Steam could take towards your account that doesn't violate its license. Obviously if you're registering pirated keys that's another story, but if it really is a legitimate copy you're good to go.

I think it stems from the fact that none of these key sites are authorized resellers, although looking through the Steam Subscriber Agreement it only covers buying from an authorized retailer, not what happens when you buy from an unauthorized retailer or even who the authorized retailers are.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I've seen a CD Key retailer selling for even cheaper than that place - like, $30/$35 for Skyrim/Arkham/BF3/AC:R etc., but I'm very suspicious of these places and the other end of the scales are heavily weighted by the value of my Steam account.

I wish Steam was more communicative and clear about their policies.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Ah, that's not so bad.

I was expecting Vagina monsters or something. Outside of some lingerie and like.. mesh see through stuff, my brisk google search didn't turn up anything too bad. Just female models with better faces and bodies than vanilla.
    I'm just gonna leave this here.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Monger wrote:

Chocolate Elf.

Chocolate Elf.

Chocolaaaaaaaate Eeeeeeeeeeelf!
    :rotate: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :rotate:

What is wrong with these people?

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Not half as much as is wrong with the people that made a certain spell featured prominently in the third update.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Monger wrote:
    Not half as much as is wrong with the people that made a certain spell featured prominently in the third update.

No words. Should have sent a poet.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    "That's... not rope."

"that's not rope at all."

D:

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    My phone doesnt like that link. I feel as if ive dodged a bullet.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    ultimakay wrote:
    ultimakay wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

I think it stems from the fact that none of these key sites are authorized resellers, although looking through the Steam Subscriber Agreement it only covers buying from an authorized retailer, not what happens when you buy from an unauthorized retailer or even who the authorized retailers are.

Hm. I don't really know anything about the "authorized retailer provisions" in licenses. I suppose it's a question of to whom the copyright holder licenses their distribution rights. That licensor can limit who licenses products from whom, but I wonder if Valve can spell out a list of "authorized retailers" in its own license to users. Sounds vaguely like horizontal price collusion, which is a per se antitrust violation.

Where IP rights end and anticompetitive behavior begins is a fucking morass though, so I'll just end my part in this entirely off-topic discussion by saying that some regional/authorized digital distributor is going to sell Skyrim for well below MSRP shortly after release, so if you are not comfortable buying from one of those CD key sites, just don't do it. It's not entirely clear that those sites actually have the license to distribute anyway, and if that's the case then yeah, you could get fucked.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the meshes and the textures. The dark Elf's party party went five days ago but today only four returned. The pool is up to the wall at West-gate. The modder in the Water took Dark Elf--we cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep.

They are coming

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Ok, so my work computer likes that link.

Not sure what to think about what I've just seen...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Hey is Skyrim out yet? No? Shoot...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote:

Soon!

Also, that music video your avatar is from = hilarious!

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    This thread has inspired me to fire up Oblivion and play with some of the mods I'd downloaded, but not installed. Last night, it seemed like a good idea to run archive invalidation before making a backup of my Oblivion folder. Perhaps tonight, I'll try to get all the textures working again. At least I have a couple of backups so I'm not starting from scratch...

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    You should use whatever mods are in that link Monger posted.

Seems like it would be an enriching experience.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Heir wrote:

Soon!

Also, that music video your avatar is from = hilarious!

Yeah it's probably my favorite song by them.

At least I am building a new PC in the next couple weeks...that will occupy my time I'm sure.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I just wish they'd show some more gameplay videos.
    We've basically seen the same sequence over and over again. Yeah, we get it, summoning a lightning cloud atop a tower and killing a dragon with it is cool and all, but we want to see more!

Also, it is now officially too late for me to go back on this. Skyrim is ordered and paid for via PayPal.
    At least I got a good price, 35 € is pretty cheap for a new game.

Maz- on
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote:
    I just wish they'd show some more gameplay videos.
    We've basically seen the same sequence over and over again. Yeah, we get it, summoning a lightning cloud atop a tower and killing a dragon with it is cool and all, but we want to see more!

Also, it is now officially too late for me to go back on this. Skyrim is ordered and paid for via PayPal.
    At least I got a good price, 35 € is pretty cheap for a new game.

Would you mind sharing where you pre-ordered at for so cheap?

• Options
    If someone needs (and can afford) a new rig, HP is still running its 40% off sale on high-performance machines. I've had two HP towers and they've been great, quiet and fast and reliable.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    texasheat wrote:

Would you mind sharing where you pre-ordered at for so cheap?

http://www.gameware.at/info/space/The+Elder+Scrolls+V:+Skyrim+Day+One+Edition

Just say so if you need help handling that site and its devious foreign language.

I have nothing but praise for them, but I don't know if their shipping times and costs outside of German-speaking countries are any good. Probably not, though, so it might not be worth it, depending on where you live.

Maz- on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    $46 here. No promises they're legit.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    You should use whatever mods are in that link Monger posted.

Seems like it would be an enriching experience.

I left my save in Shivering Isles with the main quest and all the guild quests done. The mod guide looks great, but it would be for a new game. I wanted a mainly vanilla experience, but with everything better looking and some milder "fixes" for some of the issues that annoyed me. *cough*magic*cough* When I do take another run, it will definitely be with FCOM. Slutty Women and Hunky (and Slutty) Men will, of course, be the second thing installed.

Morrowind is tempting me, but I'm still bitter about getting 60 hours into the Xbox version then being unable to save.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    The way you think, I like it.

• Options
    ultimakay wrote:
    ultimakay wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

Hm. I don't really know anything about the "authorized retailer provisions" in licenses. I suppose it's a question of to whom the copyright holder licenses their distribution rights. That licensor can limit who licenses products from whom, but I wonder if Valve can spell out a list of "authorized retailers" in its own license to users. Sounds vaguely like horizontal price collusion, which is a per se antitrust violation.

Where IP rights end and anticompetitive behavior begins is a fucking morass though, so I'll just end my part in this entirely off-topic discussion by saying that some regional/authorized digital distributor is going to sell Skyrim for well below MSRP shortly after release, so if you are not comfortable buying from one of those CD key sites, just don't do it. It's not entirely clear that those sites actually have the license to distribute anyway, and if that's the case then yeah, you could get fucked.
    I don't know what's going on here, but a lot of times this isn't an "authorized retailer" thing in quite that sense. It's more a matter of whether any given license keys are cool for resale in the manner that they're being resold. Outside of someone buying masses of license keys in regions with lower pricing and reselling them elsewhere, you sometimes have someone selling masses of OEM license keys that are distributed for promotional purposes (video card pack-ins and such) and not licensed for resale by anyone. Occasionally, it's people gutting retail keys and returning or reselling the disk separately. An authorized retailer, then, is more of just a retailer that has any method to purchase a copy of the game intended for resale in their area.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    CANCEL YOUR PRE-ORDERS, SHENANIGANS ABOUND
    You can beat this thing faster than your misbehaving wife
    A Bethesda QA tester has set the early pace for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim speed runs, completing the forthcoming RPG epic in an impressive two hours and 16 minutes.

As detailed over on the Bethesda Blog, a representative from Bethesda QA - Sam Bernstein - took on a rep from the development team - Jeff Browne - in a speed run contest to celebrate the game heading off to retail.

Bernstein finished the game's main quest in a time of 2:16:10 - just 20 seconds faster than Browne. No cheats were permitted, and apparently both contestants took a different route through the game.

Bernstein's prize? A modest trophy, pictured below, and a pie of their choice baked by director Todd Howard.

The blog post was at pains to point out that it might take the average player rather longer to polish the game off - "our developers have years of experience under their belts and know all the ins and outs for speeding through the game."

The pre-release speed run face-off seems to be becoming a Bethesda tradition. In an identical contest held before Fallout 3 went out into the wild, Bernstein again pipped Browne to the prize, wrapping up the game in just 75 minutes.

Oh wait, it was a QA guy who regularly does this sort of thing. I sure trust the reports of this to be very clear and forthright with that part of the story.
    I swear, if I see one person try to claim that 'Skyrim is a 3 hour game', I will find where they live, then I will catch, cook and eat them.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    And the article posted in the SE thread also had this on the end.
    Folks are asking how the Skyrim speedrun stacks up to previous competitions.The Skyrim speedrun took just over an hour more than both Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Edit: Oh that article has basically the same thing at the end, maybe I should read better.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Pre-order cancelled.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I'm blaming EA, Activision, day one DLC, online passes and the dumbing down of everything.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    darleysam wrote:
    A Bethesda QA tester has set the early pace for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim speed runs, completing the forthcoming RPG epic in an impressive two hours and 16 minutes.

As detailed over on the Bethesda Blog, a representative from Bethesda QA - Sam Bernstein - took on a rep from the development team - Jeff Browne - in a speed run contest to celebrate the game heading off to retail.

Bernstein finished the game's main quest in a time of 2:16:10 - just 20 seconds faster than Browne. No cheats were permitted, and apparently both contestants took a different route through the game.

Bernstein's prize? A modest trophy, pictured below, and a pie of their choice baked by director Todd Howard.

The blog post was at pains to point out that it might take the average player rather longer to polish the game off - "our developers have years of experience under their belts and know all the ins and outs for speeding through the game."

The pre-release speed run face-off seems to be becoming a Bethesda tradition. In an identical contest held before Fallout 3 went out into the wild, Bernstein again pipped Browne to the prize, wrapping up the game in just 75 minutes.

Oh wait, it was a QA guy who regularly does this sort of thing. I sure trust the reports of this to be very clear and forthright with that part of the story.
    I swear, if I see one person try to claim that 'Skyrim is a 3 hour game', I will find where they live, then I will catch, cook and eat them.

You can beat Morrowind faster, if I recall correctly.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote:
    I'm blaming EA, Activision, day one DLC, online passes and the dumbing down of everything.

We should march on.. um.. Redmond. Let's march on Redmond.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MegaMek wrote:

If you use the Scroll of Icarian Flight, yeah. But I guess it'd take longer if you did all of the main quests.

darleysam wrote:

We should march on.. um.. Redmond. Let's march on Redmond.

As good a target as any. *grabs pitchfork*

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    MegaMek wrote:
    darleysam wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1IRxTN-_kU

7.5 minutes.

14 if you do it the long way, IIRC.

Suriko on
  • Options
    You can beat the main questline in 2 hours, oh no! :P

We all know were going to max our games to read "999 hours played"

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait, in that video, the screen keeps going black and he is suddenly somewhere else without actually casting a spell or going anywhere.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    I never got more than 3 hours into Morrowind or Oblivions MQ, in about 500 hours combined.

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    There's an even faster one. 4:19

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Wait, in that video, the screen keeps going black and he is suddenly somewhere else without actually casting a spell or going anywhere.

I think he's hitting hotkeys to cast scrolls of divine intervention or the other teleport you to temples scroll (whatever its called) and cutting the loading screens out of the video.

Lorek on
This discussion has been closed.