As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim]: Its actually Oblivion 2, in fact, its probably just Fallout with swords.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Has there been any word on loading screens? Everything I've read so far is making me want to end my Elder Scrolls virginity. Little annoys my gaming sensibilities more than a bunch of loading screens in a title that's supposed to be immersive.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote:
    Has there been any word on loading screens? Everything I've read so far is making me want to end my Elder Scrolls virginity. Little annoys my gaming sensibilities more than a bunch of loading screens in a title that's supposed to be immersive.

My guess is that it would be like oblivion, which had loading screens when entering towns and dungeons.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Consoles have the same memory limitations now they did when Oblivion came out, so I'm not sure how much improvement we can expect in that regard.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:

My guess is that it would be like oblivion, which had loading screens when entering towns and dungeons.

I don't think the towns actually have loading screens. I believe it's more like Morrowind where it loads the region.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    ultimakay wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:

I don't think the towns actually have loading screens. I believe it's more like Morrowind where it loads the region.

The big cities have loading screens. The towns and villages do not. Thankfully, though, those towns are much bigger than the ones in Oblivion, which I'd hardly call towns at all.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    I should have used cities instead of towns, i was specifically refering to the 8 or so major cities in skyrim that are enclosed.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    well that sounds much better than oblivion. those loading screens were ridiculous.

PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    You can make this general statement about Gamebryo games: Every time you pass from an exterior into an interior you get a loading screen.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Sooo - what are we thinking with Skyrim?

More like Morrowind? Or more like Oblivion?

Because i really really liked Morrowind but never got into Oblivion at all. It didn't feel as large and as immersive a world for me.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:
    Sooo - what are we thinking with Skyrim?

More like Morrowind? Or more like Oblivion?

Because i really really liked Morrowind but never got into Oblivion at all. It didn't feel as large and as immersive a world for me.
    It depends what characteristics you're talking about. But: more like Oblivion.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    This is how I see it:

More like Morrowind: Environment/level design; instead of one person using a tool to generate the dungeons, Bethesda hired level designers to hand craft them. The larger map is also more varied and vertical, whereas Oblivion's world was visually repetitive and flat.
    More like Oblivion: Melee combat, to a degree; there are now deadlier sneak attacks and ranged combat, finishers, shield attacks, etc.
    More like Oblivion: Factions
    Less like both: Magic; looks much more visceral and exciting

Dashui on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    well my main gripes with Oblivion were that, despite being a bigger world, it felt smaller because of so many instant travel options available - I know I could just use them less, but it still made the world feel smaller - in Morrowind, a journey to the northern part of the west coast felt like an epic journey.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:
    well my main gripes with Oblivion were that, despite being a bigger world, it felt smaller because of so many instant travel options available - I know I could just use them less, but it still made the world feel smaller - in Morrowind, a journey to the northern part of the west coast felt like an epic journey.

You'll need to visit the cities in person before you can fast travel to them this time. And I'm sure there will be mods to remove fast travel if you really want to.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    is morrowind available on console? if so, is it worth picking up? not that i need any more games to play...

wait....
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    wasn't morrowind an Xbox title, not a 360 title? i think it was.

edit: yep, original Xbox and PC only http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_III:_Morrowind

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    well, balls.

wait....
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    well, balls.

Well, you could still grab it and play on your 360.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    well, balls.

I don't think it'll work. It's not on the backwards compatibility list.

I should know, as I wanted to do exactly that myself.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    Sagroth wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    well, balls.

I seem to recall from trying to play it on my 360 that it ran, but it was a bit glitchy and that might be why it didn't make the list.

If you have a PC bought in the last 5 years I imagine you could run it on there, it's £12 on Steam now (GOTY edition).

• Options
    Anid MaroAnid Maro Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Dhalphir wrote:

To be honest, even without fast travel Oblivion's environment was kinda... bleh. It wasn't bad per se, but it was quite repetitive. After the umpteenth forest clearing with an Ayleid ruin I went back to fast travel. Fallout 3 had the same problem, but at least I could be amused by the radio.

I'm hoping for Skyrim it'll have more of a Morrowind feel with the hardly talked about carriage system. Also I wouldn't mind a few places here and there that are just a pain to reach, at least the first time. If Bethesda pulls that off then fast travel may even be a welcome solution to Morrowind's travel problems... although I will slightly miss making ludicrous leap spells for easy access to the island interior, overshooting my destination and figuring out where the heck I wound up got old after a while.

Edit: Oh, and I also don't miss the horrendous directions NPCs would give you in Morrowind. "Yeah just go up that river, cross it after the peak shaped mountain you'll know it when you see it it's just like all the others, go up the path, take a left right left left right, go to a fork and take the right path that will loop around over the left path, look for the fourth pathway through the hills on your right, and enter the seventh generic dungeon door. Easy peasy." O.o

Anid Maro on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I hope there is somewhere that has nearly constant rain in Skyrim, like the area around Leyawiin in Oblivion.

Because that is where my house will be. I love rain.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I just hope there isn't a single Hellgate anywhere.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Was there gore in Oblivion? I don't remember any mods for it.

• Options
    Big Isy wrote:
    Was there gore in Oblivion? I don't remember any mods for it.

There was no gore in vanilla Oblivion, but there were mods that added it in. Deadly Reflex is the most popular, though I think the whole mod, and its gore, look absolutely ridiculous.

• Options
    I remember Deadly Reflex but had no idea there was gore in it, thanks for that. Now I wanna install it. Tried once before but there was way too much to go through for it.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqnLhuvEOIA

This is why I was disppointed to hear Beth weren't doing limb removal themselves. Mods always take it to idiotic/comical extremes (although it should be said there were mods to tone down Fallout's gore to semi-reasonable levels).

Suriko on
  • Options
    Oh wow, just seen that video now that I'm using the laptop, its definitely not what I was thinking of. I was expecting arms to be chopped off and stuff, but that just looked ott. Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCmdCIi5O4I&feature=related

• Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    Venkman90 wrote:
    Sagroth wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    well, balls.

I seem to recall from trying to play it on my 360 that it ran, but it was a bit glitchy and that might be why it didn't make the list.

If you have a PC bought in the last 5 years I imagine you could run it on there, it's £12 on Steam now (GOTY edition).

It works pretty well on the 360, just don't expect to play it in widescreen on your big living room TV. Aspect ratio stays boxy, which is kind of annoying.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Awesome!

Gave me goosebumps!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote:
    Some new footage..along with commentary by 2 "competent" "journalists".
    I dunno - the commentary seemed pretty unobjectionable to me.

• Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    One mod I'm looking forward too is "Realistic Carriages".

It seems as if Carts/Carriages as they stand just warp you, like any other fast travel. I'd prefer a more GTAIV feel, wherein you actually ride in the bloody thing (going fast), with the landscape speeding past.

I am confident that the community will materialize this feature, in time.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I couldn't resist. I just pre ordered to the CE Hardcover strategy guide or whatever. $25 on amazon, etc. The cover was too awesome to pass up.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Shurakai wrote:

It seems as if Carts/Carriages as they stand just warp you, like any other fast travel. I'd prefer a more GTAIV feel, wherein you actually ride in the bloody thing (going fast), with the landscape speeding past.

Not least because the "hey cabbie, you mind driving like someone spiked your triple vodka with crystal meth? I'm kind of in a hurry" button could provide so much entertainment.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Shurakai wrote:

I liked how Red Dead Redemption did it, they gave you the option of either warping or idly taking in the scenery.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    ultimakay wrote:
    I want that last shot in high resolution as a desktop.

0:25, I guess it's no surprise that vikings drink gasoline.

• Options
    deowolf wrote:
    Venkman90 wrote:
    Sagroth wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    well, balls.

It works pretty well on the 360, just don't expect to play it in widescreen on your big living room TV. Aspect ratio stays boxy, which is kind of annoying.

the problem is, i only have a laptop, and my only tv is a 51" 1080p. so, my computer cant run it and it'll look bad on my tv. damn.

wait....
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Oh hey.

We MIGHT get a Bloodmoon-esque expansion for...

the area Bloodmoon took place in.

great.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hey someone dubbed over the narration from the original Skyrim Trailer to the new Live action one. I actually think it works better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMiWang7LEA

Edit: So what did I do wrong that it didn't auto embed the video?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
This discussion has been closed.