Options

Surprisingly good movie / television tie-in video game appreciation thread.

2»

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Riddick got kind of overhyped for me. It was pretty great and all, but it had pretty significant design issues that I didn't care for too

Good licensed games? I really liked Everything or Nothing, that third person Bond game from the last generation

Maybe that Blade Runner game? I haven't played it but I've heard things!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie

Still one of my favorite FPS games. You fight dinosaurs with spears - what else could you want?

This.

Could have done with fewer centipedes and more dinosaurs, but it was still an awesome game. And the sections where you have to run from the T-Rex were very well done and genuinely alarming.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Warriors: Street Brawl is a fucking abomination, sadly. It's a really limited side scrolling brawler with visuals that loosely resemble the look of the film.

Granted, I'm not really into those classic brawlers, but I think it was insulting to both fans of the film and that style of game.

Actually, the Rockstar game had a side-scrolling mini game you could unlock, and I'm pretty sure that throwaway inclusion was far a better brawler than the dedicated XBLA title.

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    Everything or Nothing for life. Best James Bond game. But I'm biased, because I did not enjoy Goldeneye as much as I could have. So, if you're a big fan of that game, Everything or Nothing can be second.

It had a great co-op mode as well.

I second this. I was really sad they never made it backwards compatible on the 360. It's the only Xbox game I still have...just...in...case.

vamen on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I enjoyed most of the Spider-mans, even the lamer ones, simply because it's hard to make web swinging boring.

I enjoyed the LOTR games that came out around the movies. The RPG was hilarious though. Generic versions of actual characters plus the most obvious battle system theft in history.

I guess the latest Prince of Persia sort of counts.

Back to the Future by telltale if it counts. I enjoyed the Thing as well, not really a great game but had its' moments.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh yeah, the Lord of the Rings games were all really awesome beat 'em ups

I had a particular fondness for Two Towers over Return of the King, but it didn't look nearly as good

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    For all that it isn't really a tie-in, I have to give props to the Ghostbusters game. It was absolutely fantastic, which is a rarity for a game based off of a licensed franchise.

As for actual tie-in games, X-Men Origins: Wolverine was - as many have pointed out - so much better than the film it was based on.

I also rather enjoyed Tron: Evolution, which was the tie-in game to Tron: Legacy. It certainly wasn't great, but it was decently entertaining and I definitely remember feeling that I got my monies worth out of it.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Goldeneye Wii is surprisingly baller. Plays well, looks good for a Wii game and the MP is great if you can get a crew together with beer.

Fuck the DS version in it's GoldenEye though.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    List of good tie ins?

I'd list alot of whats been said here
    Wolverine Origins
    Chronicals of Riddick
    Scott Pilgram
    The Simpsons

And while not a direct tie in this deserves on honorable mention

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    SurfaceBeneathSurfaceBeneath regular
    edited July 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_Coverart.png

Honestly, this game was really quite good. I had never even really caught more than a couple episodes of the show prior to playing this game and it actually encouraged me to really watch the series which ended up being one of my favorite television shows.

Holy shit it's $80 on Amazon.

Only $15ish on ebay AND it's backwards compatible with 360.

It really is an awesome beat-em-up game.

Wait really? Wow ok, I did not know that. My XBOX broke down ages ago, but I still have this game lying around. Honestly I never even thought to try to see if it was backwards compatible. Totally going to play it this weekend.

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Whedon and the actors were actually involved with the other one, "Chaos Bleeds". One thing that I liked about it was that you could play as the other characters. It did get good reviews, but was not as popular.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am really suprised nobody has mentioned it yet, maybe because it is kinda old but -

Die Hard Trilogy!

Die_Hard_Trilogy_Coverart.png

Fuckin' loved this game on the PS1. Three games in one! My first ever lightgun game - plus it was incredibly violent for its time. I remember thinking how amazing it was when you shot a guy in the kneecap, a splatter of blood hitting the wall or floor behind and they knelt down, clutching at it.
    9028_full.jpg

Incredibly goofy people graphics but it looked pretty awesome for its time.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie

Still one of my favorite FPS games. You fight dinosaurs with spears - what else could you want?

This.

Could have done with fewer centipedes and more dinosaurs, but it was still an awesome game. And the sections where you have to run from the T-Rex were very well done and genuinely alarming.

I'll have to go back and get this one. I remember it was pretty impressive graphically.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Riddick got kind of overhyped for me. It was pretty great and all, but it had pretty significant design issues that I didn't care for too

Good licensed games? I really liked Everything or Nothing, that third person Bond game from the last generation

Maybe that Blade Runner game? I haven't played it but I've heard things!

Wah? I only remember one and it got cancelled way back. Was there another?

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am really suprised nobody has mentioned it yet, maybe because it is kinda old but -

Die Hard Trilogy!

Fuckin' loved this game on the PS1. Three games in one! My first ever lightgun game - plus it was incredibly violent for its time. I remember thinking how amazing it was when you shot a guy in the kneecap, a splatter of blood hitting the wall or floor behind and they knelt down, clutching at it.
    9028_full.jpg

I loved that series of games, I still have it around to play on my PS3 but not being able to use the light gun is a little upsetting.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Seeing as I just picked it up in the Steam sale, Back to the Future is easily as good as Spiderman 2 in terms of game tie ins, and that's high praise indeed.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AmbivalentAmbivalent Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Die Hard Trilogy!

9028_full.jpg

I remember being the only one of my friends that realized that you could cycle to which game you wanted to play.

Does anyone remember the last level in Die Hard 3? You had to explode your car into a fucking helicopter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUCLWWhkYM

Ambivalent on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I spent way too much time driving down sidewalks in Die Hard 3.....

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are you aiming for those people?

Yes.

Yes I am.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm a sucker for the LEGO games, but I feel like every one of them that I've played (all save LSW3 and LEGO Pirates) are not only good franchise games, but good games by their own right. Hell, until Arkham Asylum came out, LEGO Batman was the best Batman game period.

I really enjoyed Lord of the Rings: The Third age (felt a lot like Final Fantasy X except the men wore men's clothes) as well. Sure, it was you following around the Fellowship and not really accomplishing anything of note, but it was fun.

I'd also put Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People on the list. The humor from the website is intact, and it's a fun adventure game.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_Coverart.png

Honestly, this game was really quite good. I had never even really caught more than a couple episodes of the show prior to playing this game and it actually encouraged me to really watch the series which ended up being one of my favorite television shows.

Holy shit it's $80 on Amazon.

Only $15ish on ebay AND it's backwards compatible with 360.

It really is an awesome beat-em-up game.

Wait really? Wow ok, I did not know that. My XBOX broke down ages ago, but I still have this game lying around. Honestly I never even thought to try to see if it was backwards compatible. Totally going to play it this weekend.

There is an Indiana Jones game using the same engine. It's great. Even has the Krull like blade weapon.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have to add another game to the list. Transformers: Dark of the Moon is actually a fun game. It's got everything I want out of a Transformers game - quick pace, the ability play as my favorite Transformers, and hot sweaty robot on robot combat action. And as a bonus the story is absolute nonsense so it fits in with the movies perfectly!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I thought Enter The Matrix was awesome. I had it on the Gamecube. I loved how the melee fighting worked. Fighting the agent in the rooftop level was so tense, though I could run, it was great when I focus Kung Fu'd him off the roof. What was better was seeing that he turned into SWAT in the alley way he fell into. Though the Hong Kong/Tower level where you were being chased by all those agents? FUCK THOSE LEVELS. Oh, and the Niobe driving level.

I played Path of Neo on a friend's Xbox, and was annoyed that his martial arts moves are very limited and not as fun as ETM.

Kadoken on