PC RPG to play?

2»

• Options
    OHGROHGR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Baldur's Gate II
    Icewind Dale II
    Planescape: Torment

all the Elder Scrolls games, too, if you haven't played them already.

OHGR on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    also..

Exile III: Ruined World

OHGR on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Septerra Core.

It's like Final Fantasy if Final Fantasy was cool!

(gog link)

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Septerra Core.

It's like Final Fantasy if Final Fantasy was cool!

(gog link)

Also, Anachronox.

rayofash on
  • Options
    MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Baldurs Gate series.

Ironic that's the first suggestion...I just started that last night. It seems very familiar to me, though I'm pretty sure I never played Baldur's Gate before.

It should! Bioware produced both BG and DA. Most American RPGs nowadays have the beholder tendrils of Bioware attached to it in some for or another.

I wish I could contribute something more to the thread, but everything noteworthy has been said before. I honestly have to emphasis the original Fallout and Fallout 2 again. The story in Fallout will knock you on your ass, and then the story in Fallout 2 will knock you on your ass twice. Also, there's a blow-up doll and implied gimp sex with a mutant in there somewhere too, if that's your thing.

Maverikk on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    i've never played them, but I've heard incredibly mixed things about the Gothic series, which makes it good in my books :D

OHGR on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you were to choose: Drakensang or NWN2 Platinum?

Both are discounted on Steam right now, I tried NWN2 back at launch and it ran like a dog, but on my current rig and with MOTB is it worth it? much content? any good custom campaigns?

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    If you were to choose: Drakensang or NWN2 Platinum?

Both are discounted on Steam right now, I tried NWN2 back at launch and it ran like a dog, but on my current rig and with MOTB is it worth it? much content? any good custom campaigns?

my brother played alot of the first and second NWNs and told me that while the second one was decent, the first one was significantly better. i might pick it up anyway though.

OHGR on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I could never, in good conscience, recommend NWN 2 to anyone.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ultima Underworld. It's on GoG.

Man shit, I was dos boxing UU for ages. Playing it straight in windows would be awesome. (At least I'm pretty sure that is GOG's whole thing.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    The original NWN2 campaign is terrible. However, Mask of the Betrayer is pretty amazing, especially on repeated playthroughs. For one thing, the decisions you make actually matter, and affect how you deal with later encounters, similar to Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol. Just don't worry too much about the "soul hunger", as your character will find ways to deal with it as it progresses.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You can't get any better than BG1 (w/ BG TuTu) and BG2 played back to back with all the expansions.

Do all the quests and really enjoy the story. Should take you a few weeks of solid playing. What I wouldn't give for a selective lobotomy that would allow me to play these games fresh again.

Then play Icewind Dale 1&2, and then Planescape Torment and lament the death of the Infinity Engine and isometric RPGs in general. And also lament the dumbing down of PC RPGs.

Oh and play Mass Effect(s).

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    hjparcins wrote: »
    You can't get any better than BG1 (w/ BG TuTu) and BG2 played back to back with all the expansions.

Do all the quests and really enjoy the story. Should take you a few weeks of solid playing. What I wouldn't give for a selective lobotomy that would allow me to play these games fresh again.

Then play Icewind Dale 1&2, and then Planescape Torment and lament the death of the Infinity Engine and isometric RPGs in general. And also lament the dumbing down of PC RPGs.

What's this?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hjparcins wrote: »

What's this?
    BG1Tutu is a project which brings the content from Baldur's Gate (or Tales of the Sword Coast) into the Baldur's Gate II engine. This allows BG1 to enjoy all the benefits of BG2 such as higher resolution, new races, classes and kits, dual-wielding, and much more!

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Google it bro! It lets you play BG1 in the FAR superior BG2 engine, and with the better DnD ruleset. It's badass.

Basically you need both games installed on your computer; then BGTuTu cannibalizes the BG2 directory and puts all the BG1 resources in there but runs them off the BG2 engine. It's phenominal. I can't go back and play BG1 w/o it - better resolution and more classes/subclasses and shit.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hmm, I wonder if Gog will work with this funky bank account.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's a little sad that this genre is going away (or gone already?) I have such a hankering for games in the vein of BG2 and nothing quite scratches the itch (although DAO and DA2 came pretty close.)

Anyone know who holds the Infinity Engine license nowadays? EA perhaps? It'd be awesome if an indie developer could get hold of it and just make an awesome new RPG.

Oh well. Maybe I'll buy IWD2 from GOG and make a crazy 3e party to murder everything.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I bought Eschalon in the Steam sale and it was just perfect for scratching my RPG itch. I've got a list of all the other titles, so I should be good for a bit (hopefully) :)

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Knights of the Old Republic if you are not against an amazing RPG in the SW Universe.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    aerynkelly, you're amazingly classy. I just wanted you to know. Thanks so much!

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I bought Eschalon in the Steam sale and it was just perfect for scratching my RPG itch. I've got a list of all the other titles, so I should be good for a bit (hopefully) :)

It's really good isn't it? I'm currently in the middle of a dungeon in the beginner area that is a full of traps, levers and sneaky stuff like noisy surfaces. I have caught a disease. It's called Dungeon Fever, and while it doesn't seem to be severe, it ain't doing me any favors. I'm getting low on torches. Stuff keeps waking me up as I try to get some much need rest down there. I'm seriously thinking about backtracking, seeing about my health, rearming and tackling it again in a bit. That blacksmith is just going to have a wait a moment for his mithril.

And I mean, this is beginner area, first level stuff. I love it.

Drake on
  • Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Given this seems to be the appropriate thread to ask, anybody played enough of the Drakensang games to help a bro out with a purchasing decision? I'm going to be cheap and only get one of them during this Steam sale, and I'm trying to decide between them. All I've managed to dig up is that the first game is considerably longer and has more meat to it, but the second has more character customization options and is supposedly better in the loot department.

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The original NWN2 campaign is terrible. However, Mask of the Betrayer is pretty amazing, especially on repeated playthroughs. For one thing, the decisions you make actually matter, and affect how you deal with later encounters, similar to Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol. Just don't worry too much about the "soul hunger", as your character will find ways to deal with it as it progresses.

Mask of the betrayer is one of the best singleplayer RPG experiences I've ever had.

Its story is really good, fresh and interesting as well with a very, very grey choice at the end.

That said, it being a grey choice, you can also take the star wars emperor become the ultimate evil in the universe approach if you want, but I mean just picking a "good" choice was tough for me, the party member of mine advocating the other side made some damn good points.

override367 on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TheStig wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

being totally serious here

it is seriously one of the best jrpgs to come out in the past couple years.

Speaking of Jrpgs, I suppose Recettear counts as one right

Get it

It's good

Peas on
  • Options
    DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you happen to get Oblivion I have to suggest getting the Nehrim mod and diving into it. It's basically a new game built off the engine. It's fantastic. It's audio is in German, but it has English subs...which is a huge improvement over vanilla Oblivion's VA.

Darksier on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This might be out of left field, but Shining Force and Shining Force II for the Sega Genesis have both had PC ports made and are available on Steam for pretty damn cheap. If you've never played them, they're good fun. More of a tactical, squad-based RPG.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71120/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71160/

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    MRPeersonMRPeerson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Darksier wrote: »
    If you happen to get Oblivion I have to suggest getting the Nehrim mod and diving into it. It's basically a new game built off the engine. It's fantastic. It's audio is in German, but it has English subs...which is a huge improvement over vanilla Oblivion's VA.

This looks fantastic and pretty much what I wanted Oblivion to be like.

Thanks.

MRPeerson on
    Wii: 5994 4910 0244 5552
  • Options
    RakkahRakkah Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If / when you do decide to get Planescape: Torment (and I humbly suggest you make this a near-future thing - it's probably my favourite game of all time), go through this guide to make sure you can really appreciate the amazingly painted backgrounds and such. Also restores a bunch of never-quite-finished quests and a few other bits and bobs.

Rakkah on
    SC2 SEALanguid.619 USLanguid.362 | Steam
  • Options
    aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Drake wrote: »

It's really good isn't it? I'm currently in the middle of a dungeon in the beginner area that is a full of traps, levers and sneaky stuff like noisy surfaces. I have caught a disease. It's called Dungeon Fever, and while it doesn't seem to be severe, it ain't doing me any favors. I'm getting low on torches. Stuff keeps waking me up as I try to get some much need rest down there. I'm seriously thinking about backtracking, seeing about my health, rearming and tackling it again in a bit. That blacksmith is just going to have a wait a moment for his mithril.

And I mean, this is beginner area, first level stuff. I love it.

Yeah...I died in there the first time. First body I checked I got Dungeon Fever, and like you I was low on torches (only had 2) and low on potions as well...ran out of money, and well, things just went downhill. The second time went much better though and I got through it :)

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ultima Underworld has already been multi-mentioned, but I personally prefer Ultima Underworld 2. Both games are mega awesome but something about UW2 keeps me replaying it about once a year for the past... 18 years. god I'm old. Ultima 7.5: Serpent Isle is also superlative but I can't get it to run as smoothly as UW2 anymore so I don't play it as much.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Agreeing with Mass Effect and Deus Ex. The Fallouts are also well worth playing, the lot of them.

Mr. Robot is an interesting little puzzle RPG, worth looking up some time.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    MorganAzingerMorganAzinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    No love for Dragon Age?

Granted, I'm one of those rare people who utterly adores BOTH Origins and DA2, which is apparently a travesty. So.

I'd also like to echo the earlier comment about Neverwinter Nights 2. The original campaign is blah, as is Storm of Zehir, but Mask of the Betrayer is interesting, epic-feeling, and not quite so silly (giant talking technicolor god of bears aside). It's NOT a save-the-world plot, so it's probably one of my favorite videogame storylines of all time. It feels very Planescape Torment to me.

MorganAzinger on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    No love for Dragon Age?

Granted, I'm one of those rare people who utterly adores BOTH Origins and DA2, which is apparently a travesty. So.

I'd also like to echo the earlier comment about Neverwinter Nights 2. The original campaign is blah, as is Storm of Zehir, but Mask of the Betrayer is interesting, epic-feeling, and not quite so silly (giant talking technicolor god of bears aside). It's NOT a save-the-world plot, so it's probably one of my favorite videogame storylines of all time. It feels very Planescape Torment to me.
    Hey. That's the BEST PART.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This might be out of left field, but Shining Force and Shining Force II for the Sega Genesis have both had PC ports made and are available on Steam for pretty damn cheap. If you've never played them, they're good fun. More of a tactical, squad-based RPG.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71120/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71160/

:o !!! I never knew this!

rayofash on