As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games to Mod With

GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
So modding games is something that cool people do. I, being a cool person, should obviously know how to do this, but I don't.

Some games are better for this than others, of course.

I'm in no way a PC gamer, so I'm completely out of my league here!

Do you guys have any suggestions about what are some cool games that are good to mod with, have extensive support, or are generally 'modder friendly'?

Greeper on

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, if you have the tech knowledge and wherewithal, you can pretty much mod any game ever.

THAT SAID.

Games That Are Easily Moddable With Relatively Well Supported Tools:

Source Engine games
    Most Unreal Engine games
    any Elder Scrolls that is Morrowind or Oblivion
    Fallouts 3 and New Vegas (same engine as Oblivion, for reference)

Of course those first two umbrellas are pretty damn big. Starting points for Source Engine and Unreal Engine would be Team Fortress 2 and Unreal Tournament x. Of course, the Unreal Tournament modding scene has basically died since UT3 sold like shit.
    probably because it wasn't that great but hey

If you're interested in just straight up making a game, the Unreal Development Kit might be a good starting point; I wouldn't know, I haven't messed with it. There are a few people who have, though, I'll let them talk about what's up.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm currently doodling around with fallout 3 so I'll drop some things I've gotten. This assumes you have Fallout 3 and all DLC, so the GOTY edition.
    Fallout 3
    Bethesda's Geck Wiki
    My first Vault tutorial
    Quest and Dialog Tutorial
    Fallout 3 Nexus and Nexus Forums for tutorials and Utlities The main one I use but questionable ethics.
    Fallout 3 Underground Never tried it but I hear its good.
    planet Fallout forums

Be forewarned that the GECK construction kit is built upon the desecrated remains of previous tool kits from Oblivion and Morrowind, its much like a Servitor. So there are several bugs and vestigial features. PM me if you need help.

Online book for Blender a freeware 3d modeling program.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bethesda's modding tools are friendly and easy to use in a way that puts them on an entirely separate level from anything else. If you're not comfortable with reading/writing code, I'd almost say that their games are your only real option.

If you know your way around an if statement, though, Unreal is probably the best compromise between power and ease of use.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Of course, the Unreal Tournament modding scene has basically died since UT3 sold like shit.
    It sold fairly well, some 1.2M copies by March 2008. It just wasn't really embraced by the community.

Glal on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Source Engine
    Unreal Engine (free and midly open source now if I remember correctly)
    Quake 3 (free and open source)

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As for Source Engine: the SDK is about to become free as in beer.

So there's that in favor of learning Source engine stuff.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The earlier C&C titles are pretty easy to modify. Red Alert 2 and TS can be pretty heavily edited with Notepad.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hammer seems way easier to use than UnrealEd.

kitch on
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Make a map for Portal 2. Since you already own it you can just install it from the tools menu in Steam. Source Engine/Hammer is way easier to get the hang of, but aren't as flexibly awesome as the Unreal Editor. I recommend Portal 2 mapping since that is generally a bit more straightforward.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Not sure if they're technically considered mods, but the Neverwinter Nights games come with game editing tools that let you create custom content. They're the same tools that Bioware used to build the official campaign modules. Not entirely sure about NWN2, but there is a fuckton of user made content for the first one to play around with, and it's supposedly rather easy to make new content not included in the default toolset assets themselves. There are other games that have a similar setup. DA:O has a toolset, but it's supposedly not very good.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you want to oldschool, both the Doom and Build engines are open source.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    kitch wrote: »
    Hammer seems way easier to use than UnrealEd.

It's not.

Holy shit it's not.

Six brushes to make a box in Hammer vs one brush in UnrealEd, for instance. Once you understand CSG it's far easier to mess around with.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nobody's mentioned StarCraft II yet? Because Blizzard has been yelling and pointing and begging people to make maps for it. The editor is apparently flexible enough to support first person shooters as well as shumps and such. WarCraft III is also good stuff to mess with.

Frem on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SC2 definitely has a strong community but it really only works for point-and-click style gameplay.

Zek on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zek wrote: »
    SC2 definitely has a strong community but it really only works for point-and-click style gameplay.

I don't actually have the game; I'm just remembering the demos they gave before it was released. Did the over-the-shoulder 3rd person shooter and the 2D Galaga clone they showed off turn out not to be very doable in the final product?

Frem on