As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New & Shiny Pet Thread! (NSF56K)

• Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    gordoandemmy.jpg

Two of my kitties!

Meatball is the fat black one. Emmy is the little old lady.

Meatball aka Gordo, Fatso, etc. We originally called him Zorro but he really doesn't fit that name as he is fat and lazy, Dorro works though. Anyways we adopted him as an adult cat. He was probably 5 years old when we got him so he's about 8 now. All he does is lay around and eat kibble. Doesn't even like wet food kibble only. Also he scratches at the deck post as you can see. At his most active he will run from one end of the deck to the other.

Emmy is a little old lady. She's about 13 years old, she loves my girlfriend because my girlfriend is allergic to her. She is awesome and will hunt just about anything, once she came home with a rabbit

0918101832.jpg

We also have this lady. She is imaginatively named Kitty or Kitchen Kitty if you're not into the whole brevity thing. Kitty is awesome because she just showed up at my parents house one day. Now this is awesome because my parents live in the middle of nowhere, seriously it's 7 miles into town and our nearest neighbors live about a half mile away from us, and she wasn't theirs. She showed up skin and bones. She is very loving and will purr even if you just look at her. Of course she hates Emmy and gets in fights with her all the time. She also has a hard time keeping her balance, we're guessing its from her having almost starved to death.

Also she is ridiculously tiny for a full grown cat

0918101831.jpg

I also have two doggies!

2549315052_0a69651109.jpg

Zelda is in focus and Gracie is out of focus.

Zelda is super shy and skittish but is still a good girl. Gracie is the lady of the house and is super friendly, except towards other dogs. Gracie is about 13 years old and now has a small cancer on the inner thigh of one of her rear legs. Our vet told us that to treat it would cost several thousand dollars and isn't even guaranteed to get rid of it. So for now we are just going to let her be until it starts being uncomfortable for her and then we're going to have to put her down. :(

Finally at my apartment I have a fishtank, but it doesn't have any fishes in it yet, so it's not that interesting right now. It is a 20 gallon freshwater tank that is going to house a female betta fish sorority. I also have a 10 gallon that I am assembling that is going to be a saltwater tank. It is going to be mostly corals with one or two clownfish.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Demanding pics of the salt water tank, and stats.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    DSCN2887.JPG

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I WANT ALL THE CORGIS

ALSO ALL THE DACHSHUNDS

AND ALL THE BUNNIES

Shhh, the bunnies are sleeping!

naptime.jpg

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    cogellcogell Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Spoilered for huge
    iz29gy.jpg
    My cat Boss on top of the fridge. He's almost a year old and he's huge!
    wvv0qq.jpg
    When he was smaller, he used to ride around on my shoulder. The habit stuck, and it's a little cumbersome, but still fun.
    2wm0v39.jpg
    And that's Cleo. She's part chow chow, but the only way you can tell is to look at her tongue.

cogell on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I WANT ALL THE CORGIS

ALSO ALL THE DACHSHUNDS

AND ALL THE BUNNIES

naptime.jpg

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh man

I promised myself no more exotics but bunnies are so hard to resist

Usagi on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Usagi wrote: »
    I WANT ALL THE CORGIS

ALSO ALL THE DACHSHUNDS

AND ALL THE BUNNIES

naptime.jpg

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh man

I promised myself no more exotics but bunnies are so hard to resist

NO YOU MUST RESIST BECAUSE THE BUNNIES ARE MINE

Moriveth on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Usagi on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    BUYING ALL THE PAPER CUPS

ALSO ALL THE BUNNIES

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    IMG_20110623_130052.jpg

my dog is a mighty hunter

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Demanding pics of the salt water tank, and stats.

OK imagine an empty 10 gallon glass tank

Now imagine a little bit of water deposits on it.

OK you have now seen my saltwater tank, for realsies there's nothing in it right now.

BUT I did just get one of these: http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/aquafuge.html Along with a small power compact light for it.

Right now I'm figuring out lighting. Might be going power compact for the main tank as well because I've found a used 20" 96 watt PC light for $40 on a fish keeping forum. Or I might go T5HO. LED is a bit expensive, and Metal Halide is too much heat for a 10 gallon.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sometime later, like when I have a big house and lots of money, a huge fish tank would be nice!

Also, thanks Usagi, I have lost my husband for the evening

(It was a toss up between a bunny/bunnies or cats, actually! But adopting cats won out in the end).

Ipse, I have not seen photos of your dogs before <3

Centipede, he does look like a mighty hunter! But he also looks like he might be really friendly.

Also, progress has been made with the kitties! Sugar came out of the closet and ate half a bowl of food while I was in the room :D

Janson on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh, my dog's a she. Her name is Roxy.

But yeah, she is really friendly.

IMG_20110609_155955.jpg

this is how she chills out

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yesss pet thread yesss I love looking at people's pets!

Here is el Cid:

C5vOK.jpg

He is young and energetic and always doing silly things that make for funny photos. Like so:

WsqBq.jpg

This is Sputnik:

rdU6a.jpg

He is not as entertaining or as playful as Cid, but he is a good cat best friend and my favorite buddy in the whole world.

D85xA.jpg

Whatever mix of breeds he is gives him silky, incredibly fine hair. He is as soft as a rabbit.

Crowbawt on
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Linksville on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    IMG_20110623_130052.jpg

my dog is a mighty hunter

My dogs once brought home a deer

Actually twice

The third time it got away before they could get it home

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Aw, Smokey has an amazing coat! What a beauty.

Centipede, my pardon! And haha, that is an adorable way to relax.

I am not daring to move right now. The kitties are out and about! They are using the scratching post like good girls. Shara is also really interested in our tea box. Sugar is wary, but she has made great progress tonight.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Both kitties are currently wandering around the bedroom

they are incredibly adorable

Moriveth on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hello, yes, I approve of dogs.

My mum's dog, we don't know what kind she is, or even for certain how old, all we know for sure is that her previous owner was not very nice, and she was terrified of being within an arms reach of people for a long time.

IMAG0005.jpg

My big sister has a shiba inu type thing, and he is the most disobedient and downright evil little bugger in the world, and yet, so damn cute.

IMAG0018.jpg

My Uncle did a little bit of spaniel breeding before he passed away, the mother of the litter is also gone, and Rosie was the only one that he had kept, she was oxygen deprived and nearly died at birth, and is the nicest dog. She also hates having her picture taken for some reason.

IMAG0035.jpg

There is also a horse, one time it headbutted me, so I headbutted it back, and somehow I was the bad guy.

He fucking started it, ok?

IMAG0032.jpg

Fyndir on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    My wife and I are out of the house for 9 hours a day and I said it wasn't fair to get a dog because it'd be on it's own for too long. I didn't have any excuse when it turned out that the Guide Dogs Association is only 10 minutes from our house and they were looking for boarders.

We've now boarded 3 guide dogs since starting a few months ago and it's great. They get picked up at about 8:30 and dropped off at 5:30, so they're only on their own in our house for a short time, then they get hangouts and cuddles.

The first was Amber. She was just finishing her training when they found a rash on her stomach. She came to us for a couple of weeks whilst they did some tests to figure out if it was something at the previous boarder's house or something more serious.
    amber2.jpg

It turned out to be nothing, so she went and took over from Berry, who was retiring after 6 years of service.
    berry-helping.jpg

Berry loved cuddles and stayed with us for a month or so whilst they tried to find someone to adopt her.
    berry7.jpg

She had hip problems which meant she couldn't walk much without daily painkillers, but she was a really affectionate and lively dog.

I was heartbroken when they finally found a family to adopt her, but a couple of days after Berry left this dumbo arrived:
    janey2.jpg

Janey failed as a guide dog because she is either super-thick or too clever to do what she's told. We've got her until this Monday when she's being adopted, and then we get another in-training dog for 11 weeks.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So a couple weeks ago I rescued a kitten.

One of my roommates and I thought it was a she, but apparently we are dumb.

Also I recorded a few videos about the whole mess, in which I demonstrate that I knew fuck-all about caring for kittens.

I found the poor thing out on the sidewalk one night, and brought it home. After a fleabath (or two) and some milk, he was just fine. He was only at the apartment for about a day and a half, but, the entire time, I was so worried sick about what we were going to do with him that I honestly never got to appreciate just how adorably tiny he was until after it was over with.

Ashley (roommate) named him Panda.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is this also the general purpose cute thread? Because

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8iWAyUOG4

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This was posted in the Dogs with Hats thread, and I thought it should be shared here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/awesome-corgi-cross-breeds

My favorites are #3, 5, 7, 14, 17, and especially 22.

I really want a dog, but I know I need to wait til I move out of a crappy apartment and have a more robust income. Then I'll probably adopt an older mutt from a shelter. Until then I guess I'll have to be content looking longingly at pictures of other people's pets.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The corgerman corgshephard (3) is amazing. I'll take a half-dozen, please.

Ballman on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rank, your cat is totally gorgeous, and generally I am not super-fond of cats because of the allergies they cause in me and the lack of general giving-a-damn-about-people that they seem to have.

I dunno if anyone remembers, but my dog was so little when we found him on a mountain last November.

Now he is a 20-pound idiot.

haechi1.jpg

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    my first pet and much loved kitty lily who died in januray
    Picture13-2.png

my baby girl, jadyn who died in may
    k1zUD.jpg

Fyndir wrote: »
    Hello, yes, I approve of dogs.

My mum's dog, we don't know what kind she is, or even for certain how old, all we know for sure is that her previous owner was not very nice, and she was terrified of being within an arms reach of people for a long time.
    IMAG0005.jpg

soooo pretty!

My wife and I are out of the house for 9 hours a day and I said it wasn't fair to get a dog because it'd be on it's own for too long. I didn't have any excuse when it turned out that the Guide Dogs Association is only 10 minutes from our house and they were looking for boarders.

I adore in-training dogs! Love seeing them out and about. You and your wife are good people :^:

Fire Truck wrote: »
    This was posted in the Dogs with Hats thread, and I thought it should be shared here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/awesome-corgi-cross-breeds

My favorites are #3, 5, 7, 14, 17, and especially 22.

Looooove corgis!

5rkhn.jpg

skettios on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    I adore in-training dogs! Love seeing them out and about. You and your wife are good people :^:

Everyone should look after Guide Dogs if they have the chance. They are super-clever and really affectionate and you're indirectly helping to make peoples, as well as the dogs, lives better.

Berry would always make herself the most comfortable, even if it meant instant leg cramps for whoever she decided to lie on.
    berry5.jpg

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/30/whats-wrong-with-eating-dog-meat/?hpt=hp_c2

I would like to adopt an adult cat but I'm out of the house half the day and occasionally for weekends so I'm not sure if I'd be a good caretaker

Also scratching may be an issue as I do not want declaw a cat

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is my old friend Wicket W Warwick
    wicket.jpg

he's a Beagle/Corgi and a total boss.
    We got him from the pound 13 years ago when he was about 6 months old. There's a photo rattling around of him a few days after we got him. Imagine a dog one fifth the size, but with the same sized ears and paws. He was the cutest thing ever.

He's a shadow of his former self now. Old and tired and sore. His knees gave out a while ago and he has a hard time moving from standing to sitting and back. Recently he's started drinking way way more water than normal and not being able to hold it through the night, which he's obviously not happy about. Our vet, who is really great, thinks it's either a kidney problem which will need surgery or an overload of some hormone which will need daily medication. The vet said both options would be expensive, and probably wouldn't make him much happier.

We all know he won't be with us much longer and some day soon, someone's going to have to make a call. But he's still happy, still affectionate, still great with my nephews and my grandma. My family's company is named after him.

I'm crying now.

#pipe on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Corgi on tummy.

246799_10150281312950941_744805940_9494250_739453_n.jpg

I really haven't taken any other new pictures of Joxer lately. I should rectify that.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    my friend has the cutest cat I have ever seen

I need to steal some pictures of it

super long body and really really fluffy hair it is amazing
    it is the softest thing

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Pipe, does the middle W stand for Willow?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I don't even know!

I'll have to look up Wookiepedia.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Apparently it stands for Wystri

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    See, I thought it was Willow, because Warwick Davis played both Wicket and Willow.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    See, I thought it was Willow, because Warwick Davis played both Wicket and Willow.

it's sometimes truly terrifying how your mind works

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »

it's sometimes truly terrifying how your mind works

shoulder_shrug.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/30/whats-wrong-with-eating-dog-meat/?hpt=hp_c2

I would like to adopt an adult cat but I'm out of the house half the day and occasionally for weekends so I'm not sure if I'd be a good caretaker

Also scratching may be an issue as I do not want declaw a cat

A cat is actually a pretty perfect pet for someone who is out for half the day. As long as you are able to feed and water it!

What about two cats? That way they can keep each other company.

Also, scratching is usually a non-issue as long as plenty of scratching posts are provided. And, many older cats will come already trained only to use the scratching posts. Shara is already solely using the scratching post (the catnip we placed on it might help!) Sugar keeps using the carpet, but it's the closet carpet, so I don't mind.

Things you can do to train your cat not to scratch are to cover the places it scratches (sofas, banisters, etc.) in something it really doesn't like - foil, or there are many scents that are pleasant to humans but not to cats! And if you keep a spray bottle of water around, you can use this to spray water at the cat when it misbehaves.

Another thing you can do is use soft-paws, which are cat-claw covers that are glued on to a cat's claws.

SporkAndrew, good on you and your wife for looking after guide-dogs! And aww, they are adorable. Look at those glossy coats! My little brother and sister sponsor guide-dogs; my sister's first guide-dog failed training, too.

#pipe, aw, it sounds like he's lead a very happy life, though. :)

It's hard to believe, but my parents' dogs are 10 and 8 years old! They're flatcoat retrievers, and flatcoat retrievers don't live all that long, so they're doing very well indeed. :)

Fyndir, she is a Heinz 57, the best kind. Also, it took me a little while to work out that the horse was wearing a hood, and does not just have a strangely shaped head.

Janson on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have looked into softcaps but I'd be worried I'm hurting the cat in the process of putting them on

I did not know they have scent control for scratching, I knew they had something you can apply to wires to keep cats from chewing on them

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Really, nobody should want to declaw a cat

and anyone who wants to declaw a cat shouldn't, and if they do, I reserve the right to cut their goddamn fingers off too

Moriveth on