As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre (and post) PAX Boardgame get together - See you PAX Prime 2012!

• Options
    MultraMultra Registered User regular
    I might be able to attend again this year, and if so I will bring what I did last year plus some new ones.

• Options
    Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    Multra wrote:
    I might be able to attend again this year, and if so I will bring what I did last year plus some new ones.

You're on the geekbox forums as well right?

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Multra wrote:

mcdanger wrote:
    I would love to join LexiconGrrl's 7pm Battlestar game if there's still room!

Alright, got you down. I think I'll send a reminder email the day of the event to people who have signed up for games.
    Lackey wrote:
    Just a small reminder (not to steal any of Gene's thunder, honest!) that we'll have the Tabletop Library that'll be stocked full of games for you to check out during PAX itself. Also, we have a large number of tournaments, starting at 10:00 a.m. Friday -- If there's a tournament early Friday that you wanted to join, keep it's start time in mind while you're playing at the Pre-PAX get together.

Here's the Board/Card Game and Miniatures Tournaments Schedule

My thundeeeeeeeeeer!
    mcdanger wrote:
    I would love to join LexiconGrrl's 7pm Battlestar game if there's still room!

Got you down. that's a full 7 player game of BSG set to go off at 7. Anyone feeling left out there are still 3-4 spots open for the 11p game.

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Multra wrote:

Yup.

Multra on
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    [Got you down. that's a full 7 player game of BSG set to go off at 7. Anyone feeling left out there are still 3-4 spots open for the 11p game.

Which is more than a Caprican ship without an FTL got.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Ax0rAx0r Registered User regular
    Ax0r wrote:
    Myself and a mate (Skyntara) are coming over from Aus for our first (and likely last) PAX. Staying in the Sheraton, so would be great to get some board gaming in beforehand (not to mention all the gaming opportunities during PAX itself).
    We know Cosmic Encounter, Smallworld, and Arkham Horror (vanilla), plus usual favourites like Settlers of Catan. Obviously not able to bring anything over on the plane though.
    Would love to be able to get in a game of something we haven't played, if people are happy to teach

My name seems to have been missed from the "People" list in the OP. Just bringing myself to your attentioin guys =]

• Options
    Ax0r wrote:
    My name seems to have been missed from the "People" list in the OP. Just bringing myself to your attentioin guys =]

The thread moves in fits and starts, got you (and your mates) name up now.

• Options
    Would anyone possibly be interested in a Pre Pre-PAX boardgame get together? Just a couple hours before the pre-pax thingy (we really need a better name for this). Booked my flight a few days ago and I've got 6 hours to spend in the city before this thing sets off.

• Options
    CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    Would anyone possibly be interested in a Pre Pre-PAX boardgame get together? Just a couple hours before the pre-pax thingy (we really need a better name for this). Booked my flight a few days ago and I've got 6 hours to spend in the city before this thing sets off.

About what time were you thinking of having this?

3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Hm, 5ish? I'd like to unload in my hotel room, get a bite to eat and maybe see a few things around town.

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    Hm, 5ish? I'd like to unload in my hotel room, get a bite to eat and maybe see a few things around town.

I'll probably be doing the same thing, but if you've got some open spaces, i'd be more than willing to tag along.

3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • Options
    FenrisknightFenrisknight Token Canadian CanadianRegistered User regular
    Me Stehil and Montego will be there again probably Gene! I'll bring Dixit probably and I'm sure we'll have a munchkin deck, kinda hard to pack anything too big when we're flying though.

• Options
    OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    I'm landing at 6 am so I'll definitely have time to burn. I'll try to come by early as well.

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Cool, I want to go to the museum with the Battlestar Galactica exhibit and get a bite to eat but apart from that I'm up for more games.
    Me Stehil and Montego will be there again probably Gene! I'll bring Dixit probably and I'm sure we'll have a munchkin deck, kinda hard to pack anything too big when we're flying though.

Glad to hear it

And can I just say to the person bringing Cosmic Encounters, I am extremely interested in giving it a try.

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    Ok things are set and I can go to PAX, thus I will bring my collection of games to the pre-show meet.

The list:

Arkham Horror
    Race for the Galaxy
    Munchkin Quest
    51st State
    Runebound
    Pandemic
    Dominion + 1st expansion
    Settlers of Catan + Cities and Knights
    Red Dragon Inn 1 and 2
    Agricola
    DnD Castle Ravenloft
    Ticket to Ride: Nordic Edition

See ya there =).

• Options
    you're gorgeous Multra. List updated

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I'll probably end up making the post-Pax session at the very least. For games, I am traveling light and focusing on card or cheapass games. I should be rocking:

Illuminati
    Once Upon A Time
    NanoFictionary
    Chrononauts
    Give me the Brain
    Deadwood

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    GT RacerGT Racer Registered User regular
    Anybody interested in a rousing game of Civilization: Through the Ages?
    I adore this game, but due to its complexity and length (~4 hours) I rarely get to play
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25613/through-the-ages-a-story-of-civilization

• Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    I might attend, depending on if I'm doing anything.

If I do attend, I will have a set of Munchkin Cthulhu and some M:tG cards on me.

Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    Optimusbry wrote:
    I'll be at pre pax. Bringing Arkham Horror, 8 player max, 3-5 hour game. May also bring Last Night on Earth if there's enough space in my luggage.

My husband and I would totally be up for a game of this depending on what time you're starting, if you're taking people! We've never played with a group/people who know what they're doing and have mostly fuddled through the instructions with our gaming group twice and realized we were probably screwing things up, so we want to play with some experienced people to straighten us out!

• Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    Ok, I've tracked down my various game stashes and here is my Final list

Already mentioned
    Settlers of Catan (Which I've only played on my IPOD, would love to play 1 game w/real peeps sometime that weekend)
    FLUXX (family version, unless I can find were my wife's "better place" for the original game is)

Just Found:
    (will be bringing):

Nuclear War/Nuclear Proliferation. (One of my ATF card games ever)

(will bring if people want to play):

Supremacy
    Star Wars Monopoly
    Ogre (2 player game, been over 20 years since I last played it)
    Corruption (never been opened <shrug>)

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    tepmurctepmurc Registered User new member
    Hey, mate & I will be coming and would like to join the 11 BSG game if there is space.

And looking forward to all the other games.

• Options
    Updated. Will mess with the op today with a few lfg tools and some other stuff. Got you all down, if I missed anyone feel free to bug me about it.
    tepmurc wrote:
    Hey, mate & I will be coming and would like to join the 11 BSG game if there is space.

There is. Just about booked up on that one. I think I'll go through the thread and add the players who have signed up for the games to the op.

• Options
    Adonus76Adonus76 RDJ's Boat HouseRegistered User regular
    Never got me from the first page.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Adonus76 wrote:
    Never got me from the first page.

That was deliberate. Tennant fans *shake fists*
    Just joking :)

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    savagehart wrote:
    I so want to play Aye Dark Overlord.

I definitely will be bringing it, however I found out this week that I have to work Thurday pre-PAX and Friday. So I will play, but not excessively late.

Dannicus on
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    Dannicus wrote:
    savagehart wrote:
    I so want to play Aye Dark Overlord.

I definitely will be bringing it, however I found out this week that I have to work Thurday pre-PAX and Friday. So I will play, but not excessively late.

That sux Dannicus. I do so NOT miss that part of working "outside the home". I'll be there after the Pre-pax Dinner.

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    MaxSteeleMaxSteele Registered User regular
    A friend of mine and I are getting into Seattle Thursday afternoon / evening, and we're staying at the Sheraton. We're bringing the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game (LCG), with a couple of expansions. I can't guarantee we'll have slots for people, but if there's room in the area we can certainly set up and people can watch! If you haven't seen it before it's a very interesting card game.

• Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    I am staying at the Grande Hyatt Seattle is that too far from the Sheraton (if that is still where this is being held ) to walk with some boardgames.

I can bring:
    Settlers of Catan (with all expansion to 6-players)
    Power Grid with several expansions
    Stratego
    Betrayal at the House on the Hill 2nd Edition

please let me know what I should bring.

• Options
    Ricin wrote:
    I am staying at the Grande Hyatt Seattle is that too far from the Sheraton (if that is still where this is being held ) to walk with some boardgames.

It's like one block to the Sheraton.

I'd be interested in some Power Grid expansions

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I'm in! I'd love to play something long and complex.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    soonerjuddsoonerjudd Registered User regular
    Anyone know what the parking situation is for this? I won't be staying at the hotel, is there parking for visitors of guests? I'll be out by 11pm to pick up some buddies at the airport.

• Options
    LiraLira Registered User regular
    Last year I saw a group playing the Call of Cthulhu RPG on Thursday, so I'm guessing tabletop RPGs are kosher for this event. If that's the case, anyone interested in some Burning Wheel Gold? I can bring the ever-popular four-player demo scenario The Sword, in which four adventurers at the end of their journey find that the most difficult challenge is one another. Each session of The Sword takes about 45-90 minutes, and I'd happily run multiples.

There's also the rather more ambitious four- to eight-player scenario The Gift, in which the Prince of the Elves and his entourage arrive at a Dwarven stronghold to do honor to the newly-crowned Dwarven Prince, only to find that a mistake of considerable consequence has been made. This one's lengthier and works best if there's at least two or three people familiar with the system involved other than the GM, but it's also an absolute blast if you can get it up and running.

• Options
    I'd be very interested in Playing Burning Wheel, I've heard a lot of good things.

I might not be bringing Chaos in the Old World + expansion to save space (both in my carry on and at the tables). I'll make sure and post what I do so no one has to alter plans.

• Options
    Alright, after looking at prices for checking footage I will not be bringing chaos. Bringing one carry on while going through three airlines total is a lot, 2 bags is just too much. Luckily the other games I'm bringing are small enough to pack.

• Options
    LiraLira Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Between Gene and some folks from another forum we've got enough to fill at least one run of The Sword, so I'll confirm this with an entry. I'll be the guy in the black shirt with a big gold wheel on it and a black backpack, possibly waving a rather handsome book in the air.

Lira - Burning Wheel Gold Demo - The Sword
    Time: 7:00pm Thursday (Pre-PAX party)
    Seats: First session full, then 4 players per session afterward for as many sessions as necessary.
    Length: 45-90 minutes per session

Lira on
  • Options
    mcdangermcdanger Registered User regular
    Alright, after looking at prices for checking footage I will not be bringing chaos. Bringing one carry on while going through three airlines total is a lot, 2 bags is just too much. Luckily the other games I'm bringing are small enough to pack.

If it helps, I have Chaos and live in Seattle. I don't have the expansion, though. My list of games is at http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/McDanger?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

• Options
    palmerpalmer Registered User regular
    I'm going to concentrate on smaller games for larger groups.

The Resistance
    Are you The Traitor
    Shadow Hunters
    Castle of the Devil
    Bang
    The Ultimate Showdown
    Zombie Dice

• Options
    kammisankammisan Registered User new member
    edited August 2011
    Staying at the Sheraton. Bringing Bohnanza (made by the same dude who did Agricola and Le Havre). Two minute explanation, about 45m per game, main game mechanics are trading and negotiation, up to seven players, twitter me @Darshanand if you want in!

Should have games going LATE night every night. Post triwizard Thursday (2am--> 3am), probably 11pm--> ??? on Friday, and 12:30am ---> ?:?? Saturday, and 8pm-11pm Sunday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohnanza

kammisan on
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Please count me in for the pre-PAX group. No real game preference, I'll happily join whatever session needs players. :)