As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] The Edge of Reality: Village Victory Night 8!

• Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I still hope that boosting vote enough would make it go before other actions rather than afterward. Not having to deal with this trickling nonsense would be great. Just getting more kills isn't that helpful.

So apparently my points got blocked last night. Did anyone else get a similar message? If the mafia was responsible, maybe my declared point allocations were not to their liking?

...Dammit kime, I have so many more questions. Balefuego, where are you getting that host clarification from?

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Adjusts the powers and strengths of the hosts. Host is currently at Level 4.

that reads to me to mean that the level affects both of them. When the rank is strong, both are strong.

Langly on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You know what I think I suspicious? People voting with weak excuses when we know we need to be careful with the vote.

Like this

I am gonna go with egos for misunderstanding a vague mechanic.

In any case, I am not sure I agree with your reasoning on jackisreal, Egos, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Re-reading this, I actually am getting a mafioso vibe from Wandering Hero.

jackisreal on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thats silly.

I may not have agreed with Ego's reasoning, but at least it had good rational backing it up.

On the other hand, when we know the vote trickles and we need to be careful with it throwing out votes for non-reasons like "misunderstanding a vague mechanic" is not only counter-productive, it could be downright harmful.

Also,
    Langly wrote: Β»
    I think we need to lower entropy, as by my reading it makes it easier for us to add and subtract points. As the majority, we still control those point values. While it would technically make everyone more powerful, it makes the village able to swing attributes easier.

of course I could be reading that description totally incorrectly.

Didn't we already decide that we want to raise entropy, thus increasing the universes randomness and lessening it's resistance, so we can change it more easily?

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thats silly.

I may not have agreed with Ego's reasoning, but at least it had good rational backing it up.

On the other hand, when we know the vote trickles and we need to be careful with it throwing out votes for non-reasons like "misunderstanding a vague mechanic" is not only counter-productive, it could be downright harmful.

Also,
    I think we need to lower entropy, as by my reading it makes it easier for us to add and subtract points. As the majority, we still control those point values. While it would technically make everyone more powerful, it makes the village able to swing attributes easier.

of course I could be reading that description totally incorrectly.

Didn't we already decide that we want to raise entropy, thus increasing the universes randomness and lessening it's resistance, so we can change it more easily?

Well I was just interpreting the description of the power listed today
    Adjusts the Resistance of the universe. Entropy is currently at Level -2.

Which I took to mean that a negative score would actually lessen resistance, but I could be wrong.

Langly on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Uh, if entropy = resistance, then lowering entropy would be lowering resistance.

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So... just no reading of page 5?

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cythraul wrote: Β»
    Uh, if entropy = resistance, then lowering entropy would be lowering resistance.

that is what I was thinking.

Langly on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ugh. Info was one of the ones I felt safe allocation points to. Vote will become better and better for us later on, but it is still probably more useful for the mafia than us.

I guess

Langly

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd guess that if we decrease entropy we will be making the rules less malleable. So, for example, a -2 is likely to make the universe harder to change. I think it is actually that more entropy = less resistance.

I think. Maybe.

Don't quote me.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd guess that if we decrease entropy we will be making the rules less malleable. So, for example, a -2 is likely to make the universe harder to change. I think it is actually that more entropy = less resistance.

I think. Maybe.

Don't quote me.

This feels more correct to me than the alternative.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been sinking my points into vote all game and have no intention of stopping.

Teucrian on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    you are the very spirit of democracy, teucrian!

Lucedes on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Teucrian wrote: Β»
    I've been sinking my points into vote all game and have no intention of stopping.

well then let me be the first to volunteer you to reap the benefits of your work

Tecurian

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This game is nutzoid. "You have unlocked a category." "Category locked!" You guys...

Does the fact that one of the murder methods was Black mean somebody leveled up into a Serial Killer? Does that imply more people might continue to level up into Serial Killer?

I agree that Vote might be about as powerful as we need it. If it gets powered into 3-kill vote the Mafia will manipulate the shit out of it and we'll be basically giving them another kill. I'm cool with leveling up Host, though it would be nice to know which Host it is leveling.

that would be balls out crazy. having multiple serial killers with multiple kills each trying to kill every person doesn't even make sense.

If there is a serial killer, there is just one, or like, a pair with a kill between them.

Langly on
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lucedes wrote: Β»
    you are the very spirit of democracy, teucrian!

I love democracy and killing.

Teucrian on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Balefuego, that is unkind.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This game is nutzoid. "You have unlocked a category." "Category locked!" You guys...

Does the fact that one of the murder methods was Black mean somebody leveled up into a Serial Killer? Does that imply more people might continue to level up into Serial Killer?

I agree that Vote might be about as powerful as we need it. If it gets powered into 3-kill vote the Mafia will manipulate the shit out of it and we'll be basically giving them another kill. I'm cool with leveling up Host, though it would be nice to know which Host it is leveling.

that would be balls out crazy.

As if we would expect anything less from this phalla.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm worried this will be seen as a grudge vote, but because I might miss the vote close tomorrow I want to put it in.

Jackisreal I am getting that same vibe from you. It feels like some of the things you have said have just been thrown in to convince us you are a villager and yet I cannot shake the feeling. I guess mostly...

I am not convinced.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    slym

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Wow, so little activity today. I really hope there's a network working hard out there, as we are probably screwed otherwise. I think I'll place my vote on someone who was on the stever wagon... let's go with CaptainPlanet82 for flip-flopping onto it.

Not sure what to do with the categories today. I guess boost everything, except possibly entropy. Who knows what is up with entropy.

Slim chance, but... Could we get a more detailed description of what the categories do? Is there any other mechanical information we are entitled to?

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hm, now that I think about it, maybe the -2 entropy is what is locking some categories? Let's boost that too.

Is the positive direction generally more beneficial for the village, regardless of category?

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    WEREN'T YOU THE ONE WHO PUT THE FREAKING -2 POINTS INTO ENTROPY IN THE FIRST PLACE? AND NOW IT WAS APPARENTLY WITHOUT MUCH THOUGHT INTO WHAT THAT ACTUALLY WOULD DO?!?!?!!!

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Obviously I had no idea. I was guessing that high entropy would just cause random shit to happen, which is clearly not what we want. Of course, new empirical evidence now suggests that reducing entropy was a bad move. :?

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tmoiy wrote: Β»
    Could we get a more detailed description of what the categories do? Is there any other mechanical information we are entitled to?

Is the positive direction generally more beneficial for the village, regardless of category?

Clarification denied.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tmoiy wrote: Β»
    Wow, so little activity today.
    kime wrote: Β»
    Please post at least twice a day, and vote for one player in Bold Red ... Inactives will be replaced or killed.

It should be mentioned that the force which pursues those not contributing has been boosted. Please make sure you contribute at least twice to the discussion and once to the vote to ensure survival.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited July 2011
    THOUGH HOW YOU COULD POSSIBLY SPIN A 2ND VOTE KILL THAT COULD BE EASILY MANIPULATED BY A MASONED GROUP, LIKE SAY THE FREAKING MAFIA, IS MORE BENEFICIAL FOR THE VILLAGE...

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Slym

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Spoit wrote: Β»
    WEREN'T YOU THE ONE WHO PUT THE FREAKING -2 POINTS INTO ENTROPY IN THE FIRST PLACE? AND NOW IT WAS APPARENTLY WITHOUT MUCH THOUGHT INTO WHAT THAT ACTUALLY WOULD DO?!?!?!!!

ironic.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    BECAUSE OF THIS INCREDIBLY SILLY VOTE CLOSE TIME THAT MAKES IT INCONVENIENT TO CHECK THE STATUS, EVEN WITHOUT ACCOUNTING FOR THE FACT THAT IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF WHEN THE SERVERS START TO BE TOO BUSY, I WILL HAVE TO PLACE A PLACEHOLDER VOTE.

AND EVEN MORE ANNOYINGLY, BECAUSE THE VILLAGE IS RUNNING AROUND LIKE A BUNCH OF AVIANS WITHOUT A HEAD, THERE IS NOT EVEN MUCH OF A POINT TO MAKE A VOTECOUNT FOR ALL THE SINGLE VOTES FLYING AROUND. LIKE AN AVIAN. THAT WAS A JOKE. HAHA.

IN THE SPIRIT OF BEHAVING LIKE A CRANIALLY IMPAIRED FOWL, I SHALL PLACE A VOTE ON JASON TODD. FOR NOW.

DURING DAY ONE, WHILE DISCUSSING GRUDGE TARGETS, VWINDS HAD MENTIONED PREVIOUS BAD BLOOD BETWEEN HIM AND THE AFOREMENTIONED FOURMER WITH TWO FIRST NAMES. FURTHERMORE, BEFORE BECOMING LIFE-IMPAIRED EGOS HAD ALSO MENTIONED THIS HEMOGLOBIN OF HOSTILE INTENT.

ALSO, THERE WAS MENTION THAT HE WAS THE ONE WHO WANTED PEOPLE TO PUBLICLY ANNOUNCE THE EXACT NUMBER OF THE POINTS THAT WERE SPENT, RATHER THAN JUST THE CATEGORIES. THIS TACTIC MAY OR MAY NOT BEAR RESEMBLANCE TO A CERTAIN OTHER GAMBIT THAT WAS USED BY THE MAFIA IN PHA/LLA, WHERE UNDER THE AUSPICES OF HELPING TRACK DOWN SUSPICIOUS PEOPLE, THE MAFIA CONVINCED SOME VILLAGERS TO PUBLIC ALLY POST LOGS OF THEIR LOCATIONS, INCLUDING OTHER PEOPLE IN THEIR NODES, WHICH ALLOWED THE MAFIA TO HUNT DOWN AND TAG, AND EVENTUALLY, KILL TARGETS OF HIGH OPPORTUNITY. FOR WHICH AGAIN, I APOLOGIZE FOR LETTING THEM TAG YOU ARDOR.

ANYWAY, WHILE IT MAY BE A SILLY POINT NOW THAT POINT TOTALS WERE MENTIONED IN THE NARRATION...FOR NOW...AT THE TIME, ESPECIALLY DAY ONE, THIS WOULD ALLOW THE MAFIA TO MORE INTELLIGENTLY MOLD THEIR POINT ALLOCATIONS ON THE UNPOPULAR CATEGORIES, IF THEY HAVE ANY WAY OF INFLUENCING POINT TOTALS WHICH IS LIKELY BECAUSE I'D EXPECT MORE THAN 10 POINTS IN INFORMATION AFTER DAY ONE SINCE IT WOULD BE SILLY FOR ANY VILLAGER TO SUBTRACT POINTS FROM IT.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tmoiy, you seem to change your stance on things every post. You should become a politician.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah Tmoiy is hitting my mafia radar too.

Also why so angry spoit, bold print does not suit you.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    THERE CERTAINLY WOULDN'T BE A SILLY POWER LIKE A CERTAIN OVERLY PEDANTIC MAFIA HAD IN THE GAGA MINI. BECAUSE SOMETHING LIKE THAT WOULD NOT BE THE LEAST BIT ANNOYING. THAT WAS SARCASM. HAHA.

AND IF THERE WERE SOMEONE WITH THIS HYPOTHETICAL POWER THEY WOULD HYPOTHETICALY BE OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW ABOUT FIARYN BUT ALSO HAVE BEEN ACTIVE RECENTLY ENOUGH TO KNOW THE GLORY OF MURDERBOT

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jason Todd

LETS GO WITH CAPS LOCK MAN

101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Not much to go on today, I hope we get some seer action soon.

I'll go with jackisreal, he still seems suspicious to me.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I am now able to help someone with their power.

I have been trying to remember a story I once heard. I forgot the key detail. If you can help me out with this, I will help you better control your power. I hope that you'll think about using this increase in power to convince the others to give up their power.

"In medieval times a wealthy king with a single heir died suddenly. The prince had been sent on a quest to distant lands and had not been seen for many years. Several men of the appropriate age and a similar appearance showed up claiming to be the prince, hoping to gain the king’s fortune and kingdom. The kingdom could not figure out who was the correct heir.

Finally, the king’s old advisor proposed a test to the hopefuls. Everyone who agreed to the test was dismissed as an impostor. The man who refused the test was found to be the prince. Why would the prince not want to take the test?

The first person to PM me with the correct answer will be rewarded.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ...I'm going to have to Withdraw guys. I'm having a hard time keeping up between work and school.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Someone figured out the correct answer, and has been rewarded. Additional rewards may become available tomorrow.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I needed a name to post. is replacing MaxFrost.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Spoit wrote: Β»
    ANYWAY, WHILE IT MAY BE A SILLY POINT NOW THAT POINT TOTALS WERE MENTIONED IN THE NARRATION...FOR NOW...AT THE TIME, ESPECIALLY DAY ONE, THIS WOULD ALLOW THE MAFIA TO MORE INTELLIGENTLY MOLD THEIR POINT ALLOCATIONS ON THE UNPOPULAR CATEGORIES, IF THEY HAVE ANY WAY OF INFLUENCING POINT TOTALS WHICH IS LIKELY BECAUSE I'D EXPECT MORE THAN 10 POINTS IN INFORMATION AFTER DAY ONE SINCE IT WOULD BE SILLY FOR ANY VILLAGER TO SUBTRACT POINTS FROM IT.

Just as a note spoit, the numbers in the narration is the Level of each category, not raw points. Like in the Training category mentioned, 1 point was level 1, 3 additional points (4 total) was level 2, and 5 additional (9 total) was level 3. It takes more points to hit the higher levels. Which means we pumped a ton of raw points into information over the first 2 days.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash