As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] The Edge of Reality: Village Victory Night 8!

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also, hi everybody!!

What are your thoughts on where points should go? I think info++ would be a good idea for day 1.

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    From the OP:
    You have 5 points to allocate to the public categories each day.

Expect other categories to affect everything as well

At a guess, host +, entropy -, info + and vote + would be the best choices. Off/Def/Support will affect the mafia too

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why are we assuming that we want to lower entropy?

Also, I think we should pump host and info pretty rapidly. I assume host will give us more accurate, detailed clarifications.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I can't think of any reason why increasing it would be any better

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like this. It's a bit interesting the informed minority are the "good guys" in this scenario.

In any case, I agree with those above that +info might be our best bet at the moment. We need to manipulate this universe into telling the secrets of those who want to keep these powers from us.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Definitely go for info+. Host could go either way. I think you're right about entropy-, considering what side of this power struggle we're on.

Maybe Offense- as well, since I doubt the vote will be affected.

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Info might give us more information on what the different factors do as well.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Info and Vote we need to chuck points in.

I'm not sure on the others - may be worth holding off until we've got more information on them.

101 on
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vote + seems like the best choice to me. The vote goes last right now. I think we want the unimpeachable unguardable go first vote that we've learned to know and love from other phallas.

Teucrian on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Further mechanics speculation:

Looking at the public categories, three of them (information, offense, defense) seem naturally associated with the "classic" village specials (seer, vig, and guard). Right now, we have no way of knowing how those roles will function. It's possible that they have already been assigned with standard functionality (ex. the seer can seer one person per night) and that increasing the corresponding category past a certain threshold will enhance those powers (ex. past a certain information level, the seer can seer two players per night).

However, it also seems possible that those roles have been assigned with limited functionality and that the village specials will not be able to use their powers until we've made investments in the corresponding categories. If we don't see a vig kill on night 1, this could be one explanation.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Taking Jason Todd's speculation further: Entropy could refer to busdriving.

Teucrian on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There might be a connection between host and information. If Host is between Kime and 38thDoe, the information given might be different depending on who is currently in charge.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to go with WARBAN!!!!!!

ok that felt good.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Teucrian wrote: »
    Vote + seems like the best choice to me.

That's a very good point, considering this post. I'd say that or Information. I surmise Entropy won't go good, but call me judgmental. I think we need to know a bit more about Offense and Defense and what the mafia is capable of doing. I don't think many were considering Offense (in the positive ...at least?). But there is a chance the mafia have an uber kill or some sort (as a host I would want to make sure the mafia have a kill that goes through)..probably two. So you might be asking, what is the point of having a Defense score?

I could be wrong. But I think it's certainly worth finding out. :I

Egos on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Egos wrote: »
    I'm going to go with WARBAN!!!!!!

ok that felt good.

yes

Warban

Langly on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yes, let us ban war

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    God I love first day voting.

Cythraul

101 on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Spoit

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    !JaysonFour, for arbitrary name based rivalry

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hi everyone! My RNG says Egos.

Tmoiy on
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My RNG says MaxFrost!

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !Teucrian is a cannibal! :P

Seeing as how this game is set as a struggle between good host and kime host, I'm thinking that host+, along with info+ are our best bets right now. We definitely have to do Vote+ at some point, but is it necessary for Day 1?

jackisreal on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My RNG says Ringo :D [tiny](no it doesn't)[/tiny]

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jack do you really want to be the guy on Day 1 who tried to persuade us not to give the village vote power?

That being said, I'm probably going for the info.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jack do you really want to be the guy on Day 1 who tried to persuade us not to give the village vote power?

That being said, I'm probably going for the info.

I mean...I just think it makes sense that while our vote is almost entirely random, we spend our points on more useful categories like info. Right now, the vote could just as easily hit a seer or a mafia member. Shouldn't we wait to supercharge it until it's worth something? Even if the mafia put their points into vote- today, there's got to be enough of us that we could easily undo that tomorrow.

I just don't think the vote on days 1 and 2 is worth as much as information+, or host+ or entropy- if the latter two work the way I think they do.

jackisreal on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dunadan019
    Default Day 1 Choice.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Maxfrost. Voting for yourself is the coward's way out.

Both Vote+ and Information+ are good ideas, I think. The Vote is our primary weapon, and more Information is always a good thing. I see no reason not to load up both of them.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It largely depends how smart the village is in terms of picking a second place target or how dumb they are. If they are smart about the vote trickle doesn't need to be a complete enemy and some information could potentially be gleaned by the mafia's activity (depending on how complex this game is). This is assuming the village is half-way competent. Which might be a big assumption to make.

E.G. When they choose to kill the vote leader, when they don't. If they choose to do a fake out.

The newer generation of players (this includes 1+ years old) aren't use to this really. So it's potentially a pain. It might be worth solidifying. Certainly over Offense and Defense in my mind (until we have more info).

But I do agree with Info+

Egos on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I may be paranoid, but there is always the chance the mafia have more powers up their sleeve and the vote trickle could work in our favor. E.G. The mafia have an ATHAN type character.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    No I agree with you, just thought it was funny :) Vote right now is most certainly too early to be reliable for us.

In any case, we also have no clue what host does. Since 38th Doe is mafia right now does a negative host go to them? Or since Kime is storywise "evil" does it go to him?

I think information is the safest bet right now and encourage everyone to do that. It also might tell us what the other vote options will do.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Maxfrost. Voting for yourself is the coward's way out.

Both Vote+ and Information+ are good ideas, I think. The Vote is our primary weapon, and more Information is always a good thing. I see no reason not to load up both of them.

It's RNG. It's day 1. Whoop de doo. Go after me if I vote for myself again.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I'm not sure that risking a host + or - would be helpful without having more information about what it could do.

Hmm... In a game like this, I wonder if a mechanics seer is out of the question?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !WARBAN
    Egos and Langly are very convincing.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Just vote Offense and give me the power to kill everyone who's ever wronged me and we'll be okay.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Murderin' Lucedes for fun an' profit

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !Egos, mainly because his avatar keeps giving me 'the eye.'

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    poor poor warban

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ringo!

is this a challenge? i fear no dogs.

except, like, new york city hot dogs.
    i am legitimately afraid of those.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure that risking a host + or - would be helpful without having more information about what it could do.

Hmm... In a game like this, I wonder if a mechanics seer is out of the question?

In a game like this would a mechanics seer even be accurate?

My RNG (Ringo Number Generator) has come up Ringo.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As fluid as the rules are or I should say as they were presented to us; there has to be some underlying order or else this isn't much of a game. And there has to be a reason for the information option being up there.

An alternate likely outcome is that it affects how much information we get in our nightly narrations and or lack there of. That is I could see if people subtracted from information, that alignments might get grayed out or some such.

Egos on