As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HEY KID I'M A COMPUTER

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    but its the currency of the future

in actual posting

thinkpads are good yes

im thinking of getting a new laptop and im wondering if this still stands true

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just added a few SE people and wrote a message to that circle, let's see what happens!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    When I have someone in a circle, and make a post to that circle, the person gets it even when I'm not (yet) in any circle?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like the idea of the circles!

This way I could tell my family and close friends i'm engaged without sharing with everyone that I have as friends on my social network.

I need to buy a laptop or netbook or something for school. Not sure which would be best though.

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    the google plus android app is also pretty cool

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This is also kinda cool
    As a Google+ user, you get the following:
    Unlimited photo uploads. Photos larger than 2,048 by 2,048 pixels will automatically be resized when uploading.
    Unlimited video uploads (up to 15 minutes per video, up to 1080p)

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    well great. Now I want a google plus invite where before I didn't care. I'm sure a new round will come out eventually

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There are reasons to get 8GBs of memory and there are reasons to get the i7 sandy bridge.

But in this case if your main goal is video games you could save yourself some money and just go with the i5.

If money isn't an issue go with the i7 though.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like the idea of the circles!

This way I could tell my family and close friends i'm engaged without sharing with everyone that I have as friends on my social network.

I need to buy a laptop or netbook or something for school. Not sure which would be best though.

unless you need to do graphic design or architectural design, you absolutely don't need more than an efficient netbook

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    unless you are doing Hella Graphics editing. if this is just a video game computer like the 6970s indicate, get an i5 w/ 6gb. its a waste of money to go any other combo now.

Doesn't sandybridge use dual channel memory, making 6GB a weird amount?
    You either get 4 or 8

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    also don't bring your computer to class, fags

it's bad for your note-taking and it's terrible for the rest of the people in your class

also you can't refrain from going on facebook so please just fucking stop

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »

it's bad for your note-taking and it's terrible for the rest of the people in your class

Nah.

I can type way faster than I write. One Note is a good program.

And I don't see a netbook disrupting a lot of people.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Artreus wrote: »

Nah.

the bolded part is the whole problem

you end up simply transcribing everything the prof says rather than actually listening and engaging with it

and ok, it's not bad for the whole class but when a prof reiterates something she said at the last session and I hear everyone behind me typing furiously rather than just listening and recognizing that it was all said at the last session

well I just go fucking crazy and want to murder you

it's also terrifically distracting for anyone who is sitting behind you when you're internetting during class

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    my iMac has 12gb of ram. an 8gb upgrade kit was less than 100$ so...

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have one of the new 27' iMacs released this year. It is awesome.

The plan is to build a gaming rig next year, and put the iMac in target display mode, using it as a monitor, provided something comes out that requires more horsepower. I don't think The Old Republic is going to be that game.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Artreus wrote: »

Nah.

the bolded part is the whole problem

you end up simply transcribing everything the prof says rather than actually listening and engaging with it

and ok, it's not bad for the whole class but when a prof reiterates something she said at the last session and I hear everyone behind me typing furiously rather than just listening and recognizing that it was all said at the last session

well I just go fucking crazy and want to murder you

it's also terrifically distracting for anyone who is sitting behind you when you're internetting during class

What if you have a tablet pc and are also naturally snooty

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    in that case you're just like me and therefore I hate you extra

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I put a computer together on Newegg earlier for $1690. Could probably shave $100-150 off of that by getting the ram and CPU from Microcenter.

It was everything but a case and PSU. Included a 27" monitor, new mouse, and new headset in on that.

Radeon 6970 2GB
    i7 2600k
    8GB of DDR3 2133
    128GB Sata 3.0 SSD
    And a Z68 mobo with the crossfire from Gigabyte

Not that I am buying right now. Just getting an idea of prices before I build a new on in a few months. I'll probably swap the mobo for one that does SLI and get a GTX 570, though.

there is literally no reason to get 8GB, and there's no reason for the i7 when the i5 sandybridges exist
    unless you are doing Hella Graphics editing. if this is just a video game computer like the 6970s indicate, get an i5 w/ 6gb. its a waste of money to go any other combo now.

I run fold@home often when I am not using my computer, and Minecraft with a 256x256 texture pack eats ram like crazy. 4gb only gives me a small amount of playing time before it runs out of ram and crashes.

And 6gb would be for a tri-channel board. Which the 1155's aren't.

Also I will be getting the 2600k for cheaper than newegg charges.

Before anyone says anything I have java set to use all of my ram and have used the HD fix. It still kills my ram.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    seriously unless pcs use different ram or some shit it's so cheap to get why not go with 8gb+?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My computer is broken. It crashes usually during games, but also at other times occasionally. Temperatures are fine.

A diagnostic stress test thingy says my video card memory is faulty. However, things started going downhill after upgrading my CPU and motherboard, so I'm wondering if one of those is bad and making it look like the video card, or if the video card broke at the same time by coincidence.

Is there an easy way to find out?

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Besides it's only a $120-160 price difference for twice the ram and 8 threads with better CPU performance.

Not a huge deal to me, and I'd actually be spending quite a bit less than I've already saved for a new computer.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I find it fascinating that 32-bit OS's were the norm for so long because no one expected that there would be any reason to plan for computers with such astoundingly large amounts of RAM

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My computer is broken. It crashes usually during games, but also at other times occasionally. Temperatures are fine.

A diagnostic stress test thingy says my video card memory is faulty. However, things started going downhill after upgrading my CPU and motherboard, so I'm wondering if one of those is bad and making it look like the video card, or if the video card broke at the same time by coincidence.

Have you run a CPU specific stress tester like Orthos or Intel Burn test?

Does your motherboard have leds that give off specific error codes when shit goes bad?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Recently build a new comp, and I love it

i5-2500k, yet to be overclocked
    8gb ram
    69502GB GPU
    Corsair 600T
    and with my external HDD and my internal HDD i have a total of 3TB of available space

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Does your motherboard have leds that give off specific error codes when shit goes bad?

I used BurnIn Test and setting it to stress the CPU gave it no issues.

There is only a LED for RAM problems but I don't think that includes video RAM.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Recently build a new comp, and I love it

i5-2500k, yet to be overclocked
    8gb ram
    69502GB GPU
    Corsair 600T
    and with my external HDD and my internal HDD i have a total of 3TB of available space

this is pretty much the same pc i built for swordfights

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I would use furmark to stress your video card. See if it gets artifacts, locks up, or crashes your computer.

I'd update or rollback the video card drivers if it doesn't do anything but run properly.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I would use furmark to stress your video card. See if it gets artifacts, locks up, or crashes your computer.

I'd update or rollback the video card drivers if it doesn't do anything but run properly.

Furmark locks it up. Lockups are the most common error in general, but sometimes the display driver crashes and recovers, and sometimes there are artifacts, like a pattern of green dots.

I have tried a whole bunch of different drivers, but they don't help.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, I'd say it needs replaced, if furmark fucks it up, you get artifacts on screen, driver changes don't help, and that program told you the graphics card was bad.

If you have another graphics card you could try installing that and testing it. It's probably the only way at this point to be sure that it's the graphics card. Make sure to run driver sweeper if you do try another graphics card.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I too am constructing a computer
    a mid-ranger that one of my friends keeps giving me shit about
    "why would you spend 800 on a computer"
    man you just don't understand man
    man

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    $800 is a perfectly reasonable amount to spend on a computer though

especially if you are building it yourself, you'll end up with a computer that would cost you twice as much if you bought it wholesale

I am so confused

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    also I have learned:

get the best you can in your budget
    but skimp especially as little as possible on the mobo and psu

so I am getting an asrock z68 board and a XFX 650W supply (will crossfire later)
    also i52500K and AMD HD 6870

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, I'd say it needs replaced, if furmark fucks it up, you get artifacts on screen, driver changes don't help, and that program told you the graphics card was bad.

If you have another graphics card you could try installing that and testing it. It's probably the only way at this point to be sure that it's the graphics card. Make sure to run driver sweeper if you do try another graphics card.

I don't have a spare video card, but my new CPU is an i5. Don't they do video or something? I tried plugging my monitor into the motherboard's DVI port but nothing happened. Do I need to do something like remove the video card?

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Fuzzy, as long as you've got a video out on your mobo, you should be able to use intel's onboard graphics
    so I dunno, yeah, try taking out the GPU or something

especially if you are building it yourself, you'll end up with a computer that would cost you twice as much if you bought it wholesale

I am so confused

well
    dude doesn't use computers like you and me
    he is literally just a social networking, studying, MS Office, and videos guy

he runs a business with his bro
    so no gaming, photoshoping, folding@home, or HD video for him

so he just don't get it
    also he is kind of a jackass and insists that I "don't need to be doing half that shit anyway"

Tam on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I don't have a spare video card, but my new CPU is an i5. Don't they do video or something? I tried plugging my monitor into the motherboard's DVI port but nothing happened. Do I need to do something like remove the video card?

probably a bios setting to prefer mobo video over expansion port

but i haven't built a comp in like 3 years, so

redfenix on
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh hey this is a timely thread.

I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to take the front panel off my brother's computer to replace his broken intake fan.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    Fuzzy, as long as you've got a video out on your mobo, you should be able to use intel's onboard graphics

I am so confused

well

so he just don't get it
    also he is kind of a jackass and insists that I "don't need to be doing half that shit anyway"

You are living your life wrong and need new hobbies. How dare you enjoy things.

Also I really need to dust my computer. I haven't looked inside for a while and the fans have been goin pretty hard. It has been really hot here though.

Artreus on
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Speaking of fans!

My lappy has some overheating problems It is getting way too hot on things it just shouldn't!

I downloaded speed fan and guess what? There is no fan to select under the fan tab. Please help

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also I just put a new CPU cooler in to replace the stock i7 cooler, thing runs about 30f cooler now.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Tam wrote: »

I am so confused

well

so he just don't get it

well then he is a normal computer user and probably doesn't have any interest beyond a quality netbook

it's perfectly reasonable for him to think people like us, that is, people who put a premium on gold-standard home computing and PC games, are completely insane

and we kind of are insane, to be fair

MrMonroe on