As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A fruitless headset search?

softCactussoftCactus Registered User regular
I have been on a fruitless search for a headphone/headset combination for my new phone. What follows is back story, skip to the bottom if you don't want to read it.

I recently upgraded my phone after 5ish+ years of using a motorola ic502. The primary motivation I had for doing so was the death of my equally old ipod. I wanted a new phone that could also be my ipod. So I went out, and got a free evo in exchange for a 2 year contract with sprint. I already purchased an aftermarket battery to help with its crappy battery life. Battery link here.

Now I am in search for a headset that will handle my calls and music. I have had a pair of senn pmx60s forever and I love them.

So what I would love would be a similar wrap around, open air, headphones with a mic and a little button to answer/hangup calls/pause/play music. Unfortunately no such product seems to exist so I thought I'd ask the super knowledgeable penny arcade tech forum. There has to be someone else that wanted a headset like this.... then again maybe not.

I've done many a google/amazon search looking for something like this but I cant find anything that fits. The closest thing is these but apparently the sound quality is bad.

softCactus on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    You know I wonder if it would be possible to buy a pair of these and then strip the wire above the mic. Then take a pair of pmx 60s cut the wire 6 inches below the headphones and simply solder them together and put a plastic cover over it......

I'ma look into this.

Edit:

Looks like I have a new project: http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-make-any-pair-of-headphones-smart-phone-capable/2292/

softCactus on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I use the Motorola S9 for listening to music, but not taking calls. They have some newer versions of them aswell.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yup. S9 here. Sound quality is excellent for the power usage, and it stays pretty good.
    Only issue I have is that they aren't very good for running with, which is a shame.

As a sidenote, your topic reads funny to me.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    All I use my S9 for is running(treadmill/track/5k+), works fine for me.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    S9s look worth tryin, thanks

softCactus on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you are after a fruitless headset I would not recommend the apple headset range.

But they are quite good.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Har har har

softCactus on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There is a guy on ebay who sells V-Moda headsets for cheap, and they're pretty decent. I don't know if they will work with your phone though.

Azio on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    bigwah wrote: »
    All I use my S9 for is running(treadmill/track/5k+), works fine for me.

Yeah, it works without hiccup on a smooth pace, but if I really pick it up, it will cut in and out.
    It's quite possible a glitchy headset or something in th iPhone.

*shrug*

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have a Jabra BT620S headset that advertises the features you mentioned. No idea if they would work with your phone though.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy