As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

John Cooper Works 09/10

ChairmanMeowMeowChairmanMeowMeow Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Family friend is getting rid of hers and I might be picking it up. It feels fun but are there any pros and cons of the car ? Common mechanical problems ?

ChairmanMeowMeow on

• Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mini is fairly expensive maintenance wise. The dealer wanted something like $250 to change my girlfriends oil, which is absurd. My lady-friend has an "S" and loves it, she wishes she had a JCW.

She's also only had one mechanical problem, the coolant tank was leaking and they couldn't find from where, hence every so often it'd just start overheating randomly. They eventually replaced the entire system and that fixed the issue.

Ninja edit: her car is a 2006 I believe.

Iceman.USAF on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's kitsch and a fashion item so there is that to put on the con list.

For a fun car in that budget I'd go with a Miata instead, power is similar and the miata is a cabrio, it's lighter, it's foolproof being Japanese and most importantly you want rear wheel drive in a fun car.

A possible thing to consider for the pro list. If we are talking the 2006 blue and silver JC Works then it's a limited edition thing which might someday become a collectors item. So if you're real patient that car could be considered an investment (but there is no guarantee).

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ignore Zen.

Minis are balls-out fun. Especially the JCW versions.

I prefer rear-wheel drive myself, but if you can't have buckets of fun in a Mini, you are incapable of having fun anywhere.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ignore Zen.

Minis are balls-out fun. Especially the JCW versions.

I prefer rear-wheel drive myself, but if you can't have buckets of fun in a Mini, you are incapable of having fun anywhere.

Seriously. Many people would take the man card away seeing a dude roll up in a Mini, but they've never driven one guaranteed.

Iceman.USAF on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ignore Zen.

Impossible :-)

QUOTE=chrishallett83;19726434]Minis are balls-out fun. Especially the JCW versions.

I prefer rear-wheel drive myself, but if you can't have buckets of fun in a Mini, you are incapable of having fun anywhere.[/QUOTE]

It's not that the Mini is not fun only that a real sports car is more fun (and less of a fashion item).

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • MandaManda Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My MINI (2009) has had trouble with the seat belt sensor, otherwise it's been amazing. Good gas mileage, surprisingly spacious, and if you are at all mechanically inclined you can take it to the dealer and have them read your keys to tell you what's wrong, then take care of it yourself.

Iceman is absolutely right - some people may make fun of you for driving a MINI, but one ride is all it takes to turn a skeptic into a believer.

Manda on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ignore Zen.

Impossible :-)

QUOTE=chrishallett83;19726434]Minis are balls-out fun. Especially the JCW versions.

It's not that the Mini is not fun only that a real sports car is more fun (and less of a fashion item).

A JCW Mini is a real sports car.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just remember that it's made by BMW, so you're going to pay BMW-level maintenance costs. Even more so on a JCW since it's a special version.

a5ehren on
  • DjCalvinDjCalvin MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The tranny housing likes to crack on the jcw's with the extra power.
    At least 5 of them have in the last year in my family's transmission shop (all getrag transmissions)
    have also seen issues with the water pump, but everything will still be under warranty.

But man its a fun friggin car.. Get it!

DjCalvin on
  • stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Just remember that it's made by BMW, so you're going to pay BMW-level maintenance costs. Even more so on a JCW since it's a special version.

Ignore this, I have A 11' S with almost all the JCW bits on it except the engine kit and its a decent little car. Before that I have had a few in the shop to fix and its parts and service are pretty cheap. My 850CSI that costs BMW money.

Mind you its not a sports car at least in my mind by any stretch. Its a go cart that gets 30+ mpg average in real life that fits two people. The 09-10 JCW's seem to be about as fast as the standard 11' S with the new heads so just keep that in mind.

Of course you are only 600$ or so away from another 50hp/tq if you have no need for the warranty.

stormbringer on
  • i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you can get it for a decent price a JCW then I'd say go for it. Although I have yet to drive a JCW model I own a Cooper and my father has an S and if the difference between these two models are any indication of the step from S to JCW is then it should be awesome. Now not sure what kind of car your regularly into but as most have pointed out here MINIs make people into believers. The issue most have with the car ( those having not previously ever been in one) are the space and you'll be surprised to find that its pretty spacious up front with plenty of room in the back for anything your bringing along. Not going to lie though it sucks to have to sit in the back seat for an extended period of time and even worse to get in or out of the back. But other than that I've got no complaints from mine or my dad's and the JCW is the best you can buy (short of one of these bad boys http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/13/autos/mini_goodwood/index.htm)

Also please tell me its a stick.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]