As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLB: Nearly halfway through the draft! (Slow Draft Rd 11/12 - FortyTwo's up)

• simosimo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    if he really wanted to be nice he would have auctioned it off for charity

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2011
    "triple shy of the cycle" is one of my favorite stupid baseball phrases

DJ Eebs on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why is it stupid?

Goose! on
    edited July 2011
    I don't know. It's technically accurate, but a triple is also the most difficult hit in baseball, short of an inside the park home run. I guess "stupid" is kind of strong, but it's kind of... I dunno, relentlessly optimistic? I swear I read a really good column on this once. It's just a very baseball kind of phrase.

I mean, you know how many people end up a triple short of the cycle compared to dudes ending up a single or double short?

DJ Eebs on
  • scsscsscsscs Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    simo wrote: »
    and it's not like a record-breaking ball where there's a chance somebody else will come along and make the previous record somewhat meaningless

and there's (presumably) nothing like steroids that could taint the value down the line

throw in the fact that it's derek jeter and you've got potentially one of the most valuable balls ever

Even with the steroid allegations Barry Bonds' 756 ball sold for $752,467.20. I think that Jeter's would be worth less than that but still in the six figure range.

scsscs on
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    stupid tampa

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was thinking if I had it I would open the bidding for at least $500,000

Jasconius on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Classy but stupid

Zen Vulgarity on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wish there was single decent Pirates wallpaper in existence.

Or that they did what the Penguins do and release a ton of great ones on their site each year. But noooooope.

Schide on
    edited July 2011
    The Yankees are only the most lucrative sports franchise on the planet with a global fan base, and Jeter among the richest athletes.

I would not want to put them through the hardship of cutting me a check so that I could take even a brief reprieve from my backbreaking day labor.

Jasconius on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Schide wrote: »
    I wish there was single decent Pirates wallpaper in existence.

Or that they did what the Penguins do and release a ton of great ones on their site each year. But noooooope.

You could just use this:

pirates1.jpg

Peen on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Watched that Redsox brawl footage if you can even call it that. Papi is a bitch and baseball players can't fight for shit. I don't know if I've ever seen a punch landed in a brawl.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Watched that Redsox brawl footage if you can even call it that. Papi is a bitch and baseball players can't fight for shit. I don't know if I've ever seen a punch landed in a brawl.

Let's be fair to Ortiz; after all,
    I haven’t had a fight since I was in kindergarten,” he said with a smile.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

What about that Nyjer Morgan caused brawl last season I think it was, where he got laid out?

Goose! on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Goose! wrote: »

What about that Nyjer Morgan caused brawl last season I think it was, where he got laid out?

He got knocked down but only after a completely whiffed punch and nobody really landed anything. Morgan got right back up like nothing happened.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited July 2011
    You may want to ask Robin Ventura about punches landed

Also Nyjer Morgan got clotheslined pretty hard by Gabby Sanchez

Jasconius on
    edited July 2011
    nolan ryan carries like, stacks of pictures of him holding ventura in a headlock

he autographs every one of them by hand

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2011
    2006_05_sports_barrett_pierzynski.jpg

there is also this, which is the only reason I can tolerate michael barrett

DJ Eebs on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    2006_05_sports_barrett_pierzynski.jpg

there is also this, which is the only reason I can tolerate michael barrett

A great day for baseball.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Pirates have 3 All-stars for the first time since 1990. Weird.

Schide on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wonder if Bautista will pull a Hamilton tonight in the HR derby.

I'd say he's the favorite.

Xehalus on
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Schide: That is weird. It's kind of an odd feeling seeing the Pirates doing pretty well. No matter how bad the Astros got, it was always "at least we're not the Pirates". BUT NOW WE ARE THE PIRATES.

I'm an Astros fan, do you think MLB.TV will refund my subscription? You know, out of pity?

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Use your MLB.TV subscription to watch Pirates games instead.

thanimations on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    congrats on Jeter 3000*

also All-Star Pablo Sandoval woo!

jwalk on
    edited July 2011
    Adrian Gonzalez just absolutely crushed a homerun at the Home Run Derby just now.

Thing almost touched the roof.

Sweeney Tom on
    edited July 2011
    This contest would better if:

1) No Chris Berman
    2) They had more than 3 guys who could actually hit homeruns

You can't tell me Richie Weeks could hit more home runs than Carlos Pena

Jasconius on
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK

natek on
    edited July 2011
    At least Weeks got 3.

And the contest is fine, it's the ballpark it's in that's not. Chase Field is not a good arena for home runs.

Sweeney Tom on
    edited July 2011
    natek wrote: »
    BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK

chris-berman1.jpg

Marth on
    edited July 2011
    The best one was the Brewers park because it was cool when it hit the slide

half the contest was hitting the slide

Jasconius on
    edited July 2011
    that's what you get when you let players decide who gets to come to the derby

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2011
    jwalk wrote: »
    congrats on Jeter 3000*

also All-Star Pablo Sandoval woo!

Did you mistype it as 4000?

Goose! on
    edited July 2011
    When guys like Bautista only hit 4 it makes me wonder if these idiots even practice at all with this pacing

Jasconius on
    edited July 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    When guys like Bautista only hit 4 it makes me wonder if these idiots even practice at all with this pacing

It's better if they don't win.

Marth on
    edited July 2011
    Good then I hope Adrian Gonzales, David Ortiz, and Robinson Cano all tie for the win

Jasconius on
    edited July 2011
    Oh look its all star power slugger Matt Kemp

wait

who the motherfuck is Matt Kemp

I have never heard this name at all

why are people buying tickets to this

Jasconius on
    edited July 2011
    Matt Kemp's been playing for over 6 years.

Sweeney Tom on
    edited July 2011
    So has Kelly Shoppac

and he sucks too

Jasconius on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    natek wrote: »
    BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK with me, leather

This is entertaining from a player stand point but god damn, I imagine it would be more enjoyable live simply because you don't have to listen to the inane fucking babble from the ESPN crew.

JustinSane07 on
    edited July 2011
    Hey now, Justin.

Nomar's a good commentator.

Sweeney Tom on
This discussion has been closed.