As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Thanks guys, I'll have to check those out. But I hate folk metal. So I'll probably pass on Vo Skorbyah

And I have a good chunk of the Ant-Zen catalog, so the weirder noise stuff may be interesting. And it annoys the shit out of my neighbors when I crank up the Merzbow. So it's a win, win.

No skin off my nose -> these Russians fucking rule!

However, I would suggest you at least give this a quick try, you might be surprised or you might hate me for posting this.

I'm not huge Folk Metalhead either, but then I really only hate the really putrid commercial drivel that masquerades as metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzU6Vj2UvHM

hanskey on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I started a discography review for the band that everyone loves (or loves to hate) over on the blog. Depending on how much I drink, I may publish the rest of the discography tonight. I got a job, so I finally feel like I can sit down at the computer and do something enjoyable rather than spend 10-12 hours a day looking for work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I started a discography review for the band that everyone loves (or loves to hate) over on the blog. Depending on how much I drink, I may publish the rest of the discography tonight. I got a job, so I finally feel like I can sit down at the computer and do something enjoyable rather than spend 10-12 hours a day looking for work.

Very cool! I just listened to them for the first time a few weeks ago when I got their album: The Absence Of Truth for like $6 used. I do enjoy them, not rabidly, just enjoyment.

Congrats on another fucking good review!!

hanskey on
  • Options
    hanskey wrote:

Very cool! I just listened to them for the first time a few weeks ago when I got their album: The Absence Of Truth for like $6 used. I do enjoy them, not rabidly, just enjoyment.

Congrats on another fucking good review!!

I love that album. Even though I think some of their other albums are better, that would be the one album I would take with me in some weird situation wherein someone has a gun to my head and is forcing me to choose Isis albums.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    It was quite a surprise given all the mixed reviews of Isis in general.

hanskey on
  • Options
    I feel like anyone who doesn't like this song just straight up won't like Isis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEu-8hjxpog

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Dammit!!

I'm not emotionally ready for anything but rage right now, being away from my kids for the last week on work.

;-)

hanskey on
  • Options
    Alright, maybe you should check this out, which is from the record before the one you have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopiG1Qhlh8

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if Vespre from Ballade is an original PN song or a rerecording of an older French song or something? It popped up on a webpage that I would never expect it to pop up on and im kinda confused.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Alright, maybe you should check this out, which is from the record before the one you have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopiG1Qhlh8

Thanks, and I hope you know I was not being critical. I really like Garden Of Light, but it was invoking waaaay too much sadness for me at the moment. Heady shit man...

hanskey on
  • Options
    hanskey wrote:

Thanks, and I hope you know I was not being critical. I really like Garden Of Light, but it was invoking waaaay too much sadness for me at the moment. Heady shit man...

Oh, I know :) I am super drunk, so I'm probably not communicating very well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JEALOUS!! Me no drinky so far from home!!

• Options
    Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    I was just wondering where all the good 2011 death metal was. I've had this 2006 classic in my car for the past few days and I found myself saying "Dang why isn't anything this good coming out?"

I think the only death metal I've heard this year was Cannabis Corpse and Amon Amarth.

Autopsy's Macabre Eternal hit my sweet spot.

XBL: Onslaught Fei
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Any recommendations for somebody who really enjoys Virgin Black's 'Sombre Romantic?'

Is this the place that I confess that I still listen to Iced Earth once in a while? Mmmmm nostalgia.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    You won't be turned off by the folk elements of Vo Skorbyah, they are quite minimal, it's mostly crushing death/doom, very powerful album.

There's a new Craft album, finally.

Also, the singer for the Swedish band Apati passed away a few weeks ago, so I'll be writing a review for Eufori this week in commemoration.

autothrall on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Darkane is back with their original vocalist, hopefully they can release another killer.

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Amon Amarth tonight. Don't know what to expect.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    Fucking hell, Death or Glory, that album is too damn catchy. Shouldn't have listened to it before going to bed.......

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    Amon Amarth tonight. Don't know what to expect.
    Beards. Lots of beards.

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    That's a given.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    AA usually have a good setlist and put on a good, tight show. I just wish they wouldn't of insisted on ending with Pursuit Of Vikings both times I saw them. They have better songs that they could have used, especially in an eight song set where every song counts and there's no room for filler.

• Options
    Bleh there was a fuck up with the Tombs show I was going to see. It ended up starting two hours late in a different venue. Ended up drinking with them and watching them in a tiny pub with only about 20 other people. They are pretty tight live and really cool dudes. Had to leave before The Secret came on cus I had to catch last bus.

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    More MDF bands...

ARTILLERY (Denmark)
    DØDHEIMSGARD (Norway)
    INTERMENT (Sweden)
    HELLBASTARD (UK)
    DESASTER (Germany)
    DEMONICAL (Sweden)

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I picked up Meshuggah's Chaosphere a few days ago. It is goooooooood. But I imagine any of you who own it already know that.

edit: As well as Iron Maiden's Live After Death. Which is great. As usual.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So in my travels through Youtube I stumbled across.... whatever the fuck this is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDgbYF48UPw&ob=av2e

I... why... whyyyyyyyyyyyyYYYYYYYY

edit: Goddamnit they're Canadian

Sorry rest of the world

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hah.

But everything from Rise Records is gonna suck hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSeiG6qMhaI

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Ugh.

I'm working on the review for this right now. Should be up in a day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqZb52sgpU&ob=av2e

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Gah you guys are blinding me. That Abandon All Ships song is like the very worst possible approximation of rave music...only with a shit metalcore band who know 2 notes on the guitar thrown in...

And how is it that the Of Mice and Men singer looks tougher doing his rock/emo vocals in the verse than when he goes metalcore?

Cleansing myself with the new Vader.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Dream Theater are going to have Trivium as their American tour support.

Bwahahaha.

• Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHRAnIA2Yw

I can't get enough of this. It's like what Cauldron wishes they could be.

• Options
    Tav wrote:
    Dream Theater are going to have Trivium as their American tour support.

Bwahahaha.

At least this means neither of those bands are going to be playing at any of the shows I'm going to, heh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    New Morbus Chron album is pretty damn good, release isn't for a few weeks but I'll write it up at some point.

Finally got a Wii for bday, w/Mario Kart, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Murasama and Okami so I'm figuring that out.

• Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    So i have been listening alot to Vektor Black Future any other suggestions to fit in this vein?

• Options
    Well, you can go back in history to check the bands that Vektor were influenced by (Voivod, Coroner, Toxik, Heathen, Deathrow, Mekong Delta, etc).

But there are not a lot of other, new bands out there with the same approach. Maybe Revocation? Vocals aren't as manic, but they do some semi-tech death & thrash. A local Massachusetts group. Their new album is out in a few weeks.

• Options
    I always thought Toxik was one of those thrash bands that it's cool to refence now, but even back then they weren't really that original or good.

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    I always thought Toxik was one of those thrash bands that it's cool to refence now, but even back then they weren't really that original or good.

Have you ever listened to Think This? It's incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYDyphZzVVQ

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Actually, many people enjoyed them as early as 1988, myself included. Quite a lot of people I know got into them and bought the tapes. They got some favorable reviews in the metal rags, and I think what drew people to them was the progressive/power element. A lot of people loved 'Ryche, Fates Warning, etc, and wanted more in that vein. I do think Think This is more original than World Circus, and filled that niche better. The problem is, like so many bands, they just fell apart after a few albums, right when they were getting interesting.

I guess they're back now, but I haven't paid attention.

autothrall on
  • Options
    See, I only ever came across World Circus which I didn't really like at all. Think This is something more up my alley.