As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Options
    skyrimisneatoskyrimisneato really really, reallyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm new to PA, and glad I found this oddly named metal thread:
    Listening: NPR, Metallica, Blind Guardian, Anaal Nathrak
    Reading: The Hunger Games Trilogy, Starting Strength, Promethea Graphic Novels, Carlos Casteneda's The Magical Passes
    Watching: Sons Of Anarchy, The Daily Show, Colbert Report, terrible reality shows that my SO likes
    Playing: X-Wing Collectors Edition (with hardware accelerated 3D rendering in Vista 32 - it's rad), Symphony Of The Night, Rondo Of Blood, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy Tactics, X-Com, X-Com: Terror From The Deep

skyrimisneato on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Converge are doing a US tour in april and some of the dates have Pianos Become The Teeth

*drool*

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular

It wasn't our idea :)
    X-Com, X-Com: Terror From The Deep

Hell yeah. All this talk of the new X-Com titles is making me want to break out the old ones.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    autothrall wrote:

It wasn't our idea :)
    X-Com, X-Com: Terror From The Deep

Hell yeah. All this talk of the new X-Com titles is making me want to break out the old ones.

I love the first 2 and have since the early 90s, when I was introduced to the original on the 486. I have all the deets on creating a completely portable install of both X-Com, and Terror From The Deep, that works on XP and below, so lemme know if you want some help in setting that up (it was pretty easy with google a few years ago but some of the fan fixes may be hard to track down now, IDK). Getting X-Wing working on my Vista box was my latest bit of old game magic (thank you GOOGLE!) and soon I'll embark on making sure that my X-Coms work on Vista and 7.

I really love that I can put them both on a USB flash drive, because then I can play them at work and there is no evidence ...

skyrimisneato on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Looks like the Black Sabbath reunion is hitting another roadblock, this time in the form of contract agreements involving Bill Ward...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=169141
    "Dear SABBATH fans, fellow musicians and interested parties,

"At this time, I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the BLACK SABBATH album and tour. However, I am unable to continue unless a 'signable' contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band.

"Last year, I worked diligently in good faith with [fellow original SABBATH members] Tony [Iommi, guitar], Ozzy [Osbourne, vocals] and Geezer [Butler, bass]. And on [November 11, 2011, again in good faith, I participated in the L.A. press conference.

"Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another 'unsignable' contract was handed to me.

Obviously there's more in the article. Pretty suspect, it would be hella unfortunate if it turned out to only be 3/4s of the band.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Listening to:
    Animals As Leaders - Weightless
    Mastodon - The Hunter
    A Storm of Light - As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us Our Silver Memories Fade
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
    Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
    Opeth - Heritage
    Portishead - Dummy
    Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom
    System of a Down - Toxicity (practicing drumming to this a lot)

Reading:
    Game of Thrones

Watching:
    It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    Colbert/ Daily Show
    Face Off (Some Reality TV show about special effects make up artists, my wife is into that stuff. The make up is cool... the rest of the show... yeah...)

Playing:
    Drums
    Battlefield 3
    Team Fortress 2 (Doing a ton of level design for this)

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    Listening:
    Pendulum, essential mix, 2005, feeling drum n bass, as i await the new Pharaoh, which is surely to be the first album of 2012 to dominate
    Reading:
    The Dreaming Void by PFH, loved Pandora's Star, p. sure I'ma love this

playing:
    Mortal Kombat 9. Just gonna say the story mode in this is so stupid fun it puts a lot of games to shame

oh also metal um... listened to Ayreon and Deathspell Omega today and yea

• Options
    edited February 2012
    yakul wrote:
    Reading:
    The Dreaming Void by PFH, loved Pandora's Star, p. sure I'ma love this

I have purchased nearly all of his Void series, but have yet to read through it. Have you gone through the Reality Dysfunction? Amazing, deep space opera. Those UK writers really have a good grasp on that genre (Alastair Reynolds, etc).

Today I get to review one of the albums that basically taught me how to play metal on a guitar.

autothrall on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    Listening to:
    Animals As Leaders - Weightless
    Mastodon - The Hunter
    A Storm of Light - As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us Our Silver Memories Fade
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
    Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
    Opeth - Heritage
    Portishead - Dummy
    Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom
    System of a Down - Toxicity (practicing drumming to this a lot)

Reading:
    Game of Thrones

Watching:
    It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    Colbert/ Daily Show
    Face Off (Some Reality TV show about special effects make up artists, my wife is into that stuff. The make up is cool... the rest of the show... yeah...)

Playing:
    Drums
    Battlefield 3
    Team Fortress 2 (Doing a ton of level design for this)

I love that Portishead album.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote:
    Still unable to listen to anything besides liturgy lately

It has taken over my brain

MANNNNN

I would be lying if I said that I didn't chortle mirthfully at Internet reactions to these guys, too

But lately a lot of bands' drumming seems really stiff and formulaic to me

So it's liturgy and sloppy chaotic death shoegaze only

I need that delicious push and pull and about-to-collapse-inward-ness

Also when songs have clearly delineated parts and room in the EQing for each instrument and the vocalist can be clearly heard uuuugghghhhhh gross

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The new Svartsyn debut remaster is decent. Solid old school black metal with great production and excellent vocals. I'll try to do an advance review tomorrow night, since everyone else in my life will be embroiled in the Superbowl and I'm not into it.

autothrall on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I can't remember if I posted this yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO7je_9wQ0E&ob=av2e

I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of this

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Another new Cannibal Corpse song, "Scourge of Iron".

http://www.revolvermag.com/?p=31785

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Pretty sweet. Takes a minute or so to pick up, but eventually pays off.

There's also new album from Ketha, a Polish experimental death outfit whose debut was pretty cool.

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Pretty excited for the new CC, loving the variations on the same riff in that song.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I can't remember if I posted this yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO7je_9wQ0E&ob=av2e

I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of this

Is that the guy from SikTh singing?

edit: Looked it up on my own, yeah it is. Wow, that's crazy. A really interesting combination.

I like that track better, you can definitely hear the vocalist's influence in that one a ton.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    Total Angels Violence are pretty interesting. Black metal swerving between extremeties, underpinned with cold, industrious drums. I think unfettered is the best descriptor at hand - wild and rambling, but still a madman's shouting distance from being unhinged.
    http://kunsthauch.bandcamp.com/track/act-iii

Also getting a kick out of the primitivity of Proclamation's newest. It's a purely immediate pleasure, nothing to pick over besides the leftover chunks swabbed out of your ears later, but sometimes it's good to just marvel at such a showing of filth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQnLzmwu9E

This winter is doing its darndest to get me out of here. I can't wait to move again. Give me freedom, black metal, snow, and then I'll take death.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm really liking all of that. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! It has an unhinging effect...

skyrimisneato on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I always admired Proclamation for the sheer filth of the sound and the Bolt Thrower meets Autopsy meets Blasphemy drowned in black metal, but the actual riffing leaves me a little dry.

My winter sucks. Almost no snowfall at all, relatively warm weather. I hate it.

But, oh, for joy, it's Cold Lake day.

autothrall on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Finally got around to buying Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising. Don't know what took me so long.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Orion Music & Much More

June 23 & 24, 2012 in Atlantic City. 2 Days, 22+ artists. Metallica to headline both nights with special setlists. Metallica will play the Black Album in its entirety on one of the nights for the first time ever on US soil.

Other bands:

Arctic Monkeys • Avenged Sevenfold
    Modest Mouse • The Gaslight Anthem
    Cage The Elephant • Fucked Up • Best Coast
    Hot Snakes • Titus Andronicus
    Gary Clark Jr. • Lucero • Roky Erickson
    The Black Angels • The Sword
    A Place to Bury Strangers • Liturgy
    + more TBA

Hahahahahaha... haha... ha... no.

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Well...Hot Snakes and Modest Mouse are okay.

Annoying that they don't bill thrash bands or other metal. All I see there is The Sword and Litur...ugh. But then, when have they ever really given a shit about the genre that got them where they are? I'm not counting the 'Big Four', which was motivated by dollar signs as much as anything else.

Just another day for Metallica.

autothrall on
  • Options
    autothrall wrote:
    Well...Hot Snakes and Modest Mouse are okay.

Annoying that they don't bill thrash bands or other metal. All I see there is The Sword and Litur...ugh. But then, when have they ever really given a shit about the genre that got them where they are? I'm not counting the 'Big Four', which was motivated by dollar signs as much as anything else.

Just another day for Metallica.

Well their last US tour and a few upcoming Euro dates got Gojira for support, who aren't exactly going to be raking in fans and cash. Last few times they were here included support from Mastodon and Alice in Chains.

That show was definitely more a case of them being approached to do it rather than organizing it themselves.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    :/

:/:/:/

edit: Metallica had support from The Sword and Lamb of God when I saw them, but yeah... this bill certainly shows how eclectic their tastes are. The lack of metal is disappointing.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    this bill certainly shows how eclectic their tastes are

or how much they like money?

• Options
    In all honesty, how many non-Metallica fans do you think will go to this festival? It seems like they're trying to appeal to a demographic that isn't interested in them. I could be wrong. But the way I see it, most fans won't be going for the rest of the festival, they'll be going for Metallica. And fans of the other bands will either a) not go or b) not go for Metallica.

I could be completely wrong though.

• Options
    In all honesty, how many non-Metallica fans do you think will go to this festival?

More than Metallica fans. The only other band going to have big crossover appeal with Metallica is A7X. Apart from those two, everything else there looks like the type of festival you'd get if you crossed Pitchfork and NME.

• Options
    Eh, yeah I suppose. I just see both demographics being turned off by the festival's offerings outside their genre. But who knows?! It'll probably make a bazillion wads of dough like everything else they've done (except Lulu)

• Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    The Black Album had extremely broad appeal, but I dunno if that's still the case. They are kind of entering Rolling Stones territory...

• Options
    valfathervalfather Registered User regular
    I'm not well-versed in thrash so I don't know how it stacks up in the grand scheme of things, but I'm enjoying Protest's debut. They're from Dallas which makes them relatively local for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPj2J-2Fswo
    The full album could probably do with a few less songs near the end though.

• Options
    Very Slayer-like riffing progressions (in the verse and especially the breakdown), but with more brutal vocals that seem like a mix of Phil Anselmo, Phil Rind (Sacred Reich) and Malleus Maleficarum-era Martin van Drunen. Not bad, got a decent energy to it.

• Options
    Ha, a local band Zom were Fenriz's band of the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8th8m6ScsAg

• Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Awesome! Good lookin' out, Rotam.

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Tav wrote:
    Ha, a local band Zom were Fenriz's band of the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8th8m6ScsAg

UMPFFFFFFF.

MORE. MOOORRRREEE.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Yeah, that Zom track does it for me as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They've only a tape out so far, pretty sure its all up on youtube in the related videos.

• Options
    423394_10150766035813448_22006068447_12307632_2045860593_n.jpg

• Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    Holy FUCK Vektor put on a tight show. Blake even puked between songs and just kept going. Got to end the night drinking with them until 4:30 in the morning too. Easily my favorite new US thrash band.

• Options
    AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I've only been listening to Tenhi's Saivo for the last week. Totally pleasant, dusky folk, but I suspect it might be the reason why I've been falling asleep uncommonly early.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diIyLIFgH24

Absurðr on
    steam_sig.png