As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tav wrote:
    Screamo isn't very much like thrash at all...

Thanks Tav.

Isn't Thrash/hardcore the origins of screamo?

Besides I thought LoveIsUnity also likes old school hardcore and emocore bands too, which are basically thrash with slightly different vocals and less complex riffs/leads (on average).

Just pretend my OP only referred to hardcore then ... ;-)

hanskey on
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    True. One is (or was), in general, good (thrash), and the other is, in general, not (screamo). I'm sure there are a number of screamo bands that draw upon hardcore and thrash influences, though, in addition to indie rock. And no, I do not think every screamo band sucks a fat one, but I'm unimpressed by the majority of what I've heard.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    hanskey wrote:
    Tav wrote:
    Screamo isn't very much like thrash at all...

I hope this does not turn into another dumb argument over screamo, since I was really just asking LIU for some clarification. I suppose the CTTS variety of screamo is not very thrashy, but isn't Thrash/hardcore the origins of screamo? - not an expert on modern "screamo".

Besides I thought LoveIsUnity also likes old school hardcore and emocore bands too, which are basically thrash with slightly different vocals and less complex riffs/leads (on average).

Eh, what is CTtS variety screamo? They have more in common with the early 90's stuff than pretty much any of the post-hardcore kids who've been labelled screamo over the past 5-6 years (I'm looking at you Alesana, Escape the Fate and fucking Underoath). Screamo evolved from hardcore. Fugazi, Minor Threat and Sunny Day Real Estate had more influence on the genre than any thrash bands who come to mind. I really can't pick up any sort of thrash influence in any of the 90's stuff like Orchid, Saetia or Envy.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Orchid definitely has an influence from grind, thrash and other extreme metal. Voivod was writing discordant wall of noise riffs when many of these screamo bands were in diapers. Hardcore bands typically did not play in such a chaotic form, but very straight, major chords, punk derived. Post-hardcore stuff is what is probably the greatest defining influence, especially from Dischord records (Fugazi, Hoover, etc, as was mentioned).

Here's a fairly early example of screamo, Frail, with more of a direct, dissonant hardcore feel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREp7surqUA

Also, let's not forget that the 'chugging' elements in hardcore originally came from thrash (Slayer breakdowns), and were brought over through the 'crossover' bands.

CttS has everything from indie rock, to driving dissonant hardcore in there, but I don't remember too many direct crunch breakdowns.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Fugazi, Minor Threat and Sunny Day Real Estate have all been called Crossover Thrash at one point or another. Minor Threat is very, very thrashy, so I'd expect stuff based on Fugazi and Minor Threat to be fairly thrashy.

hanskey on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Who the fuck are CttS?

Also, my girlfriend has gotten me into Sleigh Bells. Excuse me as I put on my Ray-Bans and hop on my fixie.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    stupid fucking simpsons nerds turn metal bands. ugg

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah Tav and LIU are always posting stuff about Circle Takes The Square (look back a page for a vid).

Mainly I was unaware that LIU didn't really like much Thrash. After all, hardcore/post-hardcore/emocore are very thrashy styles of rock.

Plus, I was taken by surprise when I read that LIU didn't pay much attention to the German Thrash quarter because of this!!??

Fucking unfortunate for LoveIsUnity because German Thrash quarter fucking ruled the earth!! \m/

Also, I'm still curious who the few Thrash bands are that LoveIsUnity actually likes.

hanskey on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    hanskey wrote:
    Yeah Tav and LIU are always posting stuff about Circle Takes The Square (look back a page or two for a vid).

Mainly I was unaware that LIU didn't really like much Thrash. After all, hardcore/post-hardcore/emocore all are very thrashy styles.

Plus, I was taken by surprise when I read that LIU didn't pay much attention to the German Thrash quarter because of this!!??

Fucking unfortunate for LoveIsUnity because German Thrash quarter fucking ruled the earth!! \m/

Also, I'm still curious who the few Thrash bands are that LoveIsUnity actually likes.

I'm mostly just ignorant of thrash, although I've heard a lot of it. I like the same shit that most people like, and I uncovered a few gems in Autothrall's big Thrash Classics list, but most of it doesn't resonate with me. Looking through my Zune, I like Voivod, a few Metallica albums, a couple of Megadeth albums, Slayer, Znowhite, Suicidal Tendencies (do they count?) and Testament. It's a pretty mainstream list, but I generally prefer to listen to slower, more ponderous stuff. If I'm feeling the need to get my thrash on, I will just throw on one of those albums. I respect its influence a lot, as any fan of Death metal should, but I'm rarely in the mood to listen to it, and, when I am, I tend to just throw on Reign in Blood or Killing Technology. Voivod does the trick for me, but I'm also obsessed with 80's era sci-fi. Thrash may fully click for me eventually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That's cool LoveIsUnity - I was just curious and surprised, although I admit it took me a bit before I really "got" thrash. I found a couple that resonated on my own, but forming that thrash list for the wife with everyone's help really improved that and then I found that basically all the German Thrash kicks ass when I was following the theme (I bet you'd like pretty much anything of a 7+ at FtDR).

I usually listen to high velocity thrash, and find myself drawn toward many of the "technical" thrash" bands, like Realm. I particularly love Artillery, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, Overkill, Coroner, Deathrow's Deception Ignored and Think This by Toxic.

I also enjoy all the bands you mentioned, and although I have a distinct lack of ownership in mainstream thrash albums myself, I am working on it!

Keep at it and it'll get you by the scruff of the neck eventually!

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ... my girlfriend has gotten me into Sleigh Bells. Excuse me as I put on my Ray-Bans and hop on my fixie.
    Another Hesher -> Hipster transformation complete ... >:-)

hanskey on
  • Options
    Eh, if we're talking about mainstream shit our significant others have gotten us in to, I have to admit that I've been listening to that Mumford & Sons album everyone keeps talking about. Sleigh Bells is apparently associated in some way with Poison the Well, though. OUCH.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    In LiU's defense, some of those thrash albums he named are all he really needs...

But yeah, Coroner stat!

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Eh, if we're talking about mainstream shit our significant others have gotten us in to, I have to admit that I've been listening to that Mumford & Sons album everyone keeps talking about. Sleigh Bells is apparently associated in some way with Poison the Well, though. OUCH.

I won't even admit what my wife has gotten me into... :">

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    autothrall wrote:
    In LiU's defense, some of those thrash albums he named are all he really needs...

But yeah, Coroner stat!

Agreed, add Artillery too!!

hanskey on
  • Options
    Alright, give me one Coroner album and one Artillery album to check out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    By Inheritance for Artillery, and No More Color for Coroner.

Khomaniac:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwByncX1wLk&feature=related
    By Inheritance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nl4P4CUkI
    Beneath The Clay (R.I.P.):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSvusbok_94&feature=related

hanskey on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    New Yob is doing the rounds.

• Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks to the last two posts, this is now my favorite page of this thread.

edit: correction, the two posts before tav

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Don't know if everyone's seen this.

Mastodon + Mr. Rogers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr9_e4ySRYA

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    5 years later and it still gives me chills...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93V4M0Q6ufc

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    So fuckin' awesome

That's pretty much 'the band' of the metal thread I would say. Not that everyone likes them necessarily, but you know what I mean

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Edit: Wait I think I read that wrong, Summoning fucking rules. It's all Tolkien-y and shit, so sure why not?

We're all dorky gamers or ex-gamers, right?

hanskey on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There was a pic somewhere of auto in nothing but an extra small Summoning shirt and a leopard Speedo, out in the snow eating pizza, so...

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Don't be so optimistic!!

Edit: Great picks by the way!!

hanskey on
  • Options
    Summoning kicks so much ass. I actually play Land of the Dead when I'm driving new people around. If anyone by chance didn't love it, I would kick them out of the car.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    my wife is so kvlt she got me into occultation!

• Options
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    main.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Hot! ;))

hanskey on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    The face behind her head is the best.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Is the rest of the My Dying Bride Evinta collection as boring as the first two songs? Wondering if I should really commit to this 2 hour run time. I'm a big fan of the band usually, but this isn't doing a damn thing for me at all.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    The face behind her head is the best.

I was just thinking the same ... :-D

Edit: Is that your GF? -> If so, then you are a lucky man!!

hanskey on
  • Options
    Ataxrxes (if he's lurking about) will definitely want to check out the new Denial Fiend record, when it comes out.