As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breaking into accounting field? - Canada

4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I'm in school now in my second year of my business degree (focus - accounting). I'm located in Calgary, Alberta and I'm looking for accounting work. I want to get into the field early and increase my experience while going to school (night school or something similar).

I am having a very hard time finding entry level work for accounting. I'd even start at data entry if I had to. I want my CV to become impressive!

Do you guys have any tips on how to break into the field? Maybe some lesser known tips on where to look for work (craigslist, kijiji, linkedin are already tapped for me)? Is it possible I'm searching for the wrong job (entry level production accountant / junior production accountant)?

Haaaalp!

4rch3nemy on

• Options
    suicidexcusesuicidexcuse Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey I'm a 3rd year accounting student in Calgary, Alberta as well. Are you only looking for full time positions or student positions? Student positions are where its at. They have tons in the oil companies. If you know anyone in any oil companies get them to refer you. The majority of accounting students I meet got a job through who they know.

Always look for student positions, they are regularly posted on large accounting firm sites and large oil company sites. The best thing I did was just search "large companies in calgary" then go to every single website and look for student positions. Very few companies are going to hire you without a degree or certificate since the competition for accounting jobs in Calgary is so fierce. And for google and such use the search terms like "calgary accounting student" and you should get some stuff from husky and encana.

I had to get a job in records management before I found my upcoming accounting job so don't get too discouraged if you have to go for something outside the field first. Office experience (especially oil and gas) is office experience. I had to apply for for almost 50 jobs before I found my current job and the one I have lined up in september.

And just as a side note remember to keep your grades as high as you can. I had a friend recently graduate with experience in KPMG, Hudsons, PWC and still could only find a job in highriver an hour outside the city because his GPA was a 3.05.

suicidexcuse on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hi suicidexcuse, I've just submitted my resume to a few bigger oil and gas companies located in Calgary. As of writing this I've also given my resume to accountemps. I'm looking for full time but student positions may be more viable at the moment. I know a few people in oil companies but those resources didn't turn anything up as of yet. My question is.. now what? I hate my current job (framing) and would like to get into a CV building job ASAP! :D

Is there an accounting skill-building exercise/website/program out there? Are there lesser known little things that I should add to my resume that you could give me pointers on? My resume is pretty bleak, honestly.

Sidenote: I was under the impression that potential employers couldn't see your GPA. Is that true or are you essentially required to give it to them? It's not a bad thing but I just want to get that cleared up..

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't know if things are different in Alberta but when I was graduating from Business School here in New Brunswick, Deloitte specifically requested that a transcript be attached with any application and those with a 3.7 or higher would be the only ones that would be considered.

In fact if I recall all Staff Accountant positions that I applied for asked for a transcript. And it's honestly not a bad habit in working that extra mile to get those marks up. My experience in the field showed me that you work for decent salary, but you work a TON of overtime. Might as well get used to it now.

Dorkman on
    Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am currently studying for my CPA exam (Canadian equiv is CA) right now and I got a few interviews with Big 4 firms as well as very strong regional firms.

My advice is to see if your college has any sort of program for accounting employment, or a career office that will offer internships (unpaid) or coops (paid). In addition to this, try and find names of local or regional firms that hold events.

Also, research anything about Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) program. It shows experience, and it gives your interviewer something to talk about and something for you to feel confident about.

I'll get a bit more information soon.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    suicidexcusesuicidexcuse Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    All jobs have sections to include your transcript. While they don't say its mandatory, it's pretty much assumed it is. Some jobs even say you won't be considered without one.

To be perfectly honest right now you won't find many positions open for students. The hiring process begins in september for accounting firms and early January for other companies.

One thing you NEED TO DO is attend info sessions provided by accounting firms at your school. Most big schools have them. The information isn't great but just get to know the recruiters and start to network. It is so much more important to get referred then people make it out to be.

Also do what tyrannus says, join the co-op program at you school. I didn't and now I'm stuck paying for my student loans for a few months. And they'll give you tons of resources for resume building and cover letters.

As for resume tips. All I can really say is you need good references. I think mine were pretty bad so I have a suspicion I missed out on a few interviews.

As well make sure to highlight what skills you aquired not just the job with each past employer. They don't care that you made frames only that you learned to time manage or deal with customers.

suicidexcuse on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Become a CGA! I mean, er, sorry, I work for one of the affiliate offices.

With accounting, aiming for a designation is a good idea. In truth, they all have their merits and the primary differences are the education methods. You can check the websites of some of them and see the job postings - AB and SK for example have their job postings (from employers seeking accountants) on a publicly accessible section (AB and SK respectively). I would also check out the local public practitioners. A lot of them get swamped at various times in the year, but have quieter times too, so if you're ok with variable hours there are some great opportunities there. Plus a lot of the practitioners, much like big business, realize the importance of a designation and are willing to help pay for part of the education process there.

Just a heads up that CA's and CMA's are talking merger (again). Not sure if it's going through or not, but may cause some extra chaos in a practitioners firm who is either one.

ihmmy on
  • Options
    LerdoniLerdoni Registered User new member
    Sry for offtopic, but forum buging for me :/

I need your help guys if some1 know where to buy for cheap or download for free this book: Accounting for Governmental and Nonprofit Entities 14th Edition ?? THanks!

This discussion has been closed.