As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] Thread - NHL realigned with the winter solstice, pagans pleased

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    It's not really a CF-18 in the logo, it's kind of an amalgam of various jets.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Corvus wrote:
    It's not really a CF-18 in the logo, it's kind of an amalgam of various jets.

Whats it matter? Isn't the CF-18 just a rebranded FA-18 Hornet, which is made by McDonald Douglas(a US company)?

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The CF-18 is a Hornet, yes, modified by the Canadian military. In terms of the logo, though, McDonnel Douglas probably owns the rights to the likeness, so the Jets would have to go with CF-Generic. :P

• Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    the paint job on the jet was horrible and awesome. it must strike confusion into the hearts of Canada's enemies.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    OSUJumpMan wrote:
    the paint job on the jet was horrible and awesome. it must strike confusion into the hearts of Canada's enemies.

Do you mean the decoy cockpit on the bottom of the fuselage?

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    OSUJumpMan wrote:
    Canada's enemies.

o_O

We...we have those?

Do baby seals count?
    I wish that joke was ahead of it's time.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    i'm glad my joke was so explainable.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Rolston to the Islanders for Trent Hunter.

And Voukoun changed agents after his outrageous 1.5mil signing.

And Ray Emery was invited to the Blackhawks training camp, which, iirc, he did amazing with Anaheim for, like, 6 games last season and had something like 3 shutouts in those games.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Good lord the 80's were terrifying. Spoilered for huge and the Great One like you've never seen him before
    imgp2974.jpg

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote:
    Good lord the 80's were terrifying. Spoilered for huge and the Great One like you've never seen him before
    imgp2974.jpg

Ahahahahaha holy shit.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Rolston to the Islanders for Trent Hunter.

And Voukoun changed agents after his outrageous 1.5mil signing.

And Ray Emery was invited to the Blackhawks training camp, which, iirc, he did amazing with Anaheim for, like, 6 games last season and had something like 3 shutouts in those games.

And, as of today the Devils waive Hunter.

• Options
    3v3v Registered User regular
    Burns signed 5 years at a 5.75 mill per year cap hit B)

512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Referendum about public funding for the Islanders was shot down, they're likely out of Long Island when their lease expires in 2015. Brooklyn named as a possible home, followed by the usual suspects.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    Preds and Weber are in arbitration today

so dumb

• Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Why is that dumb?

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    Did you guys read the "Why no NHL teams are coming to Kansas City" post on Puck Daddy last (2) week?

I don't think the Island are coming here.

We don't even get close to selling out preseason games.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Did you guys read the "Why no NHL teams are coming to Kansas City" post on Puck Daddy last (2) week?

It's just a joke!
    beta_angel wrote:
    Why is that dumb?

Because you don't take the star player you are building your team around to arbitration. Almost all players who go to arbitration leave the team within a year or less

• Options
    tofu wrote:
    Burtletoy wrote:

It's just a joke!
    beta_angel wrote:
    Why is that dumb?

Because you don't take the star player you are building your team around to arbitration. Almost all players who go to arbitration leave the team within a year or less

Well, not everyone IS joking when they say that. So I just wanted to point out that, no, KC is not actually ever going to become home for an NHL team.

• Options
    Shea Weber asked for $8.5 and Preds submitted $4.75 million. Arbitrator has 48 hrs to decide on 1 year term.

So if the arbiter sides closer to Weber he's gone after 1 year because the team can't afford him. If the arbiter decides closer to the team (which he won't), Weber's gone after 1 year because he's getting grossly underpaid. If the arbiter splits the difference, Weber's gone after 1 year because neither side is happy. And that roughly sums up why arbitration with a star player is a bad choice.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    And then he's Lidstrom's replacement next year. Score.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    And then he's Lidstrom's replacement next year. Score.

That would be most amazing. Still, I don't think it has any realistic chance of happening.

• Options
    Sharks sign Colin White for 1 year at 1 million

Defense is staaaaaaaaaacked

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hawks re-signed Patrick Sharp for five years but money hasn't been released.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Hawks re-signed Patrick Sharp for five years but money hasn't been released.
    Puck Daddy wrote:
    Via Bob McKenzie of TSN, the annual cap hit on the extension is $5.9 million

Thats not a lot of players for a lot of money in Chicago

• Options
    tofu wrote:
    beta_angel wrote:
    Why is that dumb?

Oh, yeah, totally agree there. I was thinking about it from Webers side...he wants to get what he's worth. The Predators probably just sealed their fate on him staying Nashville.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Weber doesn't want money. He wants to leave. That's why this went to the bitter end.

Nashville completely fucked themselves by insisting on arbitration in the first place, and probably damaged their relationship with their player in the hearing.

Now they got to go through this again next year, at the same time as trying to re-sign Rinne and Suter.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    From what I've read, announcing arbitration wasn't exactly uncommon. They do it because while they are waiting for the arbitration hearing, the RFA can't get any offer sheets from any team. So theoretically, it allows the team to negotiate with their player without having to worry about any other team coming in with a Godfather type deal in the meantime. Naturally, this only works for all sides if you can come to an agreement before the meeting, which for whatever reason, Nashville couldn't do. I don't understand why they don't want to pay the man, they have a buttload of capspace left.

FYI, Weber ultimately got 7.5 million for this year from the meeting and he will still be a RFA next year.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Nashville has it's own internal salary cap, plus they need to re-sign Suter and Rinne next year.

Here's a rad article from Friedman:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/08/predators-in-trouble-with-weber.html
    But, as one agent said, "This is the strategy for a player who wants to leave."

Matrias on
  • Options
    Matrias wrote:
    Nashville has it's own internal salary cap, plus they need to re-sign Suter and Rinne next year.

Here's a rad article from Friedman:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/08/predators-in-trouble-with-weber.html
    But, as one agent said, "This is the strategy for a player who wants to leave."

I'm sure Suter and Rinne will want to stick around when Poile tries to lowball them too. What a mess

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Suter can get out sooner then Weber can. UFA at the end of the year.

Matrias on
  • Options
    Will anybody be really shocked to see Weber get an offer sheet next year?

The question is, who is going to spend 4 picks and the >8 mill it will cost to sign him? While I'd like to say Detroit is the opportune place (as Lidstrom will probably retire and Weber would be a great fit), Holland doesn't ever like to give up picks if he doesn't have to.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I would be shocked. He'll be traded, and then ride things out to UFA with whoever he's with.

Matrias on
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd be surprised if Nashville doesn't demand a king's ransom though. If he's still under team control for, what 3 more years, they can go to arbitration every year until they get a deal worthwhile. I know that's what I'd do.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Teams can only take a player to arbitration once.

Players can elect arbitration as many times as they want.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    ESPN had one of their stupid polls up again, and I know I "knew" it before, but jesus fucking christ do the Canucks play in a joke division.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Well, not everyone IS joking when they say that. So I just wanted to point out that, no, KC is not actually ever going to become home for an NHL team.

That is disappointing. A return of the Scouts might be the only thing that could dislodge me from Bruins fandom. Although I'd hate for it to be the Isles. Deep down I was hoping the Coyotes would be the ones to move back to Winnipeg and KC would get the Thrashers.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    edited August 2011
    ESPN had one of their stupid polls up again, and I know I "knew" it before, but jesus fucking christ do the Canucks play in a joke division.
    It's still fun to watch the amount of votes Oiler and Flames fans give their team, though.

Matrias on
  • Options
    Canucks have invited Owen Nolan to training camp. That is odd, dude played in Switzerland last year.

• Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    Nolan's a veteran who was awesome when he was on the Sharks. He's been tossed around a lot since then but he might have one more good year in him.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    I want Nolan to play in the NHL but not on the Canucks

This discussion has been closed.