As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phone Hacking In The UK] - An Old Fashioned English Fox Hunt

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If my wishes keep coming true like this, I fully expect an Aston Martin DB5 carrying a surprisingly suggestible Lauren Bacall circa 1946 to rock up to my house any minute. In the back will be David Bowie, and he will want to be my best friend in the whole world.

• Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    I wish she'd held on until she got arrested. then she would look even more of a disgrace.

but hey, i'll take this too. this is good.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Her resignation makes Murdoch look like even more of a silly goose given his interview with the Wall Street Journal where he said "minor mistakes" had been made.

It will be interesting to see what he says on Tuesday in front of the committee.

• Options
    he has agreed to appear? neat.

• Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    HAIL HAIL THE WITCH IS DEAD! HAIL THE WITCH IS DEAD!

• Options

He didn't want to at first. The committee "summoned" him. While they don't have the powers to force him to turn up 'cos he's not a British citizen, I think they realised it was just going to make them look worse if they refused. I believe Brooks and both Murdochs are scheduled for Tuesday's session.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:

He didn't want to at first. The committee "summoned" him. While they don't have the powers to force him to turn up 'cos he's not a British citizen, I think they realised it was just going to make them look worse if they refused. I believe Brooks and both Murdochs are scheduled for Tuesday's session.

Heh pretty much they summoned him which changes it to: If you don't turn up the Commons will fine you or imprison you. But it is such a old unused law/power that has not been utilised since 19th century there would be massive problems with if it's still legal to enforce actually jailing, especially a non citizen like Rupert. (last summons was oddly enough against another Newspaper chap in the 1950s).

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Yesterday was hilarious
    whittingdale_john.jpg
    "Hey Murdochs, we'd like to see you for an urgent chat this week regarding the widespread illegal activities of your media empire"

money-graphics-2007_884703a.jpg
    "Yeah sorry boss, can't do that this week, but if you speak to my secretary we can probably hook you up with a chat over pancakes some time next month? My dad says he can probably give you a slot sometime soon if you <i>have</i> to.

_45641042_bbc512.jpg
    "Right, well we kind of have these things called laws. I understand you're not that familiar with them but, hey, we thought that just called for an active demonstration of how they work! Be in my office on Tuesday."

news-graphics-2007-_884708a.jpg
    "...."
    Rupert%20Murdoch%20begins%20assault%20on%20New%20%20York%20Times.jpg
    "...You know what just cleared up? My schedule!"
    BobCesca wrote:
    Well, Brooks has resigned.
    As chief executive of the company, I feel a deep sense of responsibility for the people we have hurt and I want to reiterate how sorry I am for what we now know to have taken place.

I have believed that the right and responsible action has been to lead us through the heat of the crisis. However my desire to remain on the bridge has made me a focal point of the debate.

This is now detracting attention from all our honest endeavours to fix the problems of the past.

Therefore I have given Rupert and James Murdoch my resignation. While it has been a subject of discussion, this time my resignation has been accepted.

Rupert's wisdom, kindness and incisive advice has guided me throughout my career and James is an inspirational leader who has shown me great loyalty and friendship.
    I would like to thank them both for their support.

It's like, every day I wake up expecting this all to have blown over, and every day something more awesome happens.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    It's like, every day I wake up expecting this all to have blown over, and every day something more awesome happens.

This. So very this. The fact that this is the little scandal that could just warms the cockles of my heart.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    The whole FBI thing is going to be the worst. At the end of the day the revelations over here will not have a lasting, damaging effect on News Corp. However, if the investigation shows that NOTW journalists hacked (or attempted to hack) the voicemails of 9/11 victims and their families, I think they will lose a shit load of support, financial and otherwise, in the US which will be much more difficult to return from (for example, if News Corp hacked 9/11 victims' phones, will the love-in between FOX News and the Tea Party be able to continue?).

• Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Perhaps not; the right-wing persecution complex that runs through the Tea Party might see an embattled News Corp as further evidence of the LIEberal media they think runs the country.

• Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/2011/jul/15/phone-hacking-live-coverage#block-46
    12.54pm: Staying with the United States, Eric Holder (left), the US attorney general, has been speaking for the first time about the hacking scandal, from Sydney. Holder said:
    There have been serious allegations raised in that regard in Great Britain and there is an ongoing investigation there ... There have been members of Congress in the United States who have asked us to investigate the same allegations, and we are progressing in that regard using the appropriate federal law enforcement agencies in the United States

The FBI has launched in investigation into allegations that News of the World journalists tried to hack into the phones of 9/11 victims, as has been reported by the Daily Mirror.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    so do you think its a coincidence that Brooks resigned on the same day as the BBC strike or just a 'happy' accident?

also, I don't know what to make of those full-page ads that NI are planning on putting in all non NI papers. I hope every paper runs the NI scandal stories right next to them.

• Options
    JuiceJuice Registered User regular
    How where the phones hacked? where the hand held devices them self's hijacked or was their phone service "tapped".

Just curious.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Juice wrote:
    How where the phones hacked? where the hand held devices them self's hijacked or was their phone service "tapped".

Just curious.
    As far as I can tell, they were mainly listening to voicemails. I don't think they were listening to live conversations or the like, just to messages left on the account.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    listening to voicemails, deleting voicemails etc. The main way they did this is using the standard 0000 password that people seem to never change from default. I think theres a way to retrieve the voicemail messages from a landline.

They also paid police to locate certain peoples mobile phones, something that can be used in police investigations but usually takes permission from high up.

• Options
    JuiceJuice Registered User regular
    Ah you see in Australia voice mail PIN is linked the the PIN of the SIM card. So its never a default value, of course you only ever get asked for a PIN if when you try to access the voice mail from any where other than the attached service.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FTFY:
    347081483.jpg

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    thanks. im a mook.

come on, we can bring down cameron with this too. yesss we can...

• Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    Brooks is wicked but she does have a smashing head of hair on her.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    This guardian article fills me with so much :D even if it is just in the comment section: If News Corp hacked the phones of 9/11 families, Fox News is finished.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    listening to voicemails, deleting voicemails etc. The main way they did this is using the standard 0000 password that people seem to never change from default. I think theres a way to retrieve the voicemail messages from a landline.

They also paid police to locate certain peoples mobile phones, something that can be used in police investigations but usually takes permission from high up.

Yeah its laughably easy to dupe a cell number and from there cracking a PIN isn't usually hard.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    God, this is like at the end of the first Transformers movie when the soldiers and the jets start blowing the fuck out of Megatron.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Well I'm a pessimist, but my money's on it playing out like this:

-Newscorp's British holdings are severely curtailed, they lock it up in the courts for years, and end up paying little, most of which is handed under the table to some sacrificial lamb "overzealous staffers."

-Fox News portrays the whole thing as "overblown" or "The actions of stupid limeys" and the American Right buys it.

-Evil wins, again.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Seriously?

"There's a huge problem with hacking in our society. So why is everyone focusing on Newscorp? What about the victims? Why aren't they being investigated?"

Good God damn.

• Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    (for example, if News Corp hacked 9/11 victims' phones, will the love-in between FOX News and the Tea Party be able to continue?).

Of course. If Fox/Right Wing Radio never reports it, they'll never hear about it.

• Options
    Clevinger wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    (for example, if News Corp hacked 9/11 victims' phones, will the love-in between FOX News and the Tea Party be able to continue?).

Of course. If Fox/Right Wing Radio never reports it, they'll never hear about it.

Considering that wingnut Peter King is one of the reps pushing the investigation, they just might.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Harrier wrote:
    God, this is like at the end of the first Transformers movie when the soldiers and the jets start blowing the fuck out of Megatron.
    Dammit, now I'm imagining Murdoch as Megatron, and I can't stop laughing.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:

Seriously?

"There's a huge problem with hacking in our society. So why is everyone focusing on Newscorp? What about the victims? Why aren't they being investigated?"

Good God damn.

Interesting...

I figured they'd play the "foreigners suck" angle, but instead they're trying to make a molehill out of a mountain. That, to me, suggests there is something for the FBI to find that is...farther reaching, shall we say?

• Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    We can only hope.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote:
    Harrier wrote:
    Dammit, now I'm imagining Murdoch as Megatron, and I can't stop laughing.

I'm imagining soldiers and jets blowing Murdoch and I can't stop crying.

• Options
    darleysam wrote:
    Yesterday was hilarious
    whittingdale_john.jpg
    "Hey Murdochs, we'd like to see you for an urgent chat this week regarding the widespread illegal activities of your media empire"

money-graphics-2007_884703a.jpg
    "Yeah sorry boss, can't do that this week, but if you speak to my secretary we can probably hook you up with a chat over pancakes some time next month? My dad says he can probably give you a slot sometime soon if you <i>have</i> to.

_45641042_bbc512.jpg
    "Right, well we kind of have these things called laws. I understand you're not that familiar with them but, hey, we thought that just called for an active demonstration of how they work! Be in my office on Tuesday."

news-graphics-2007-_884708a.jpg
    "...."
    Rupert%20Murdoch%20begins%20assault%20on%20New%20%20York%20Times.jpg
    "...You know what just cleared up? My schedule!"
    BobCesca wrote:
    Well, Brooks has resigned.
    As chief executive of the company, I feel a deep sense of responsibility for the people we have hurt and I want to reiterate how sorry I am for what we now know to have taken place.

I have believed that the right and responsible action has been to lead us through the heat of the crisis. However my desire to remain on the bridge has made me a focal point of the debate.

This is now detracting attention from all our honest endeavours to fix the problems of the past.

Therefore I have given Rupert and James Murdoch my resignation. While it has been a subject of discussion, this time my resignation has been accepted.

Rupert's wisdom, kindness and incisive advice has guided me throughout my career and James is an inspirational leader who has shown me great loyalty and friendship.
    I would like to thank them both for their support.

Soo good.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Heh...even Woot's getting in on it:
    Woot wrote:
    KRM31: hey
    JiangsuGrrl: Hey babe!
    KRM31: thanks for getting on aim
    JiangsuGrrl: No problem! But I figured you’d just call me!
    KRM31: really don’t want to use company phone right now
    KRM31: how’s vacation
    JiangsuGrrl: Great!
    JiangsuGrrl: Soooo nice to be cut off from the world.
    JiangsuGrrl: Except for my Sony Dash Personal Internet Viewer you bought me, of course
    JiangsuGrrl: I take it everywhere that might have a plug.
    KRM31: but you can’t get news on that right
    JiangsuGrrl: Sure I can! There’s an app that lets me keep track of news!
    KRM31: but you can’t look at our stocks on that right
    JiangsuGrrl: I can do that too! It’s like a really fancy alarm clock!
    JiangsuGrrl: Except it also gives me access to web pages.
    JiangsuGrrl: Or Internet radio or Facebook even!
    JiangsuGrrl: The Sony Dash Personal Internet Viewer has apps for EVERYTHING, silly!
    KRM31: but you haven’t been looking at any of that stuff right
    KRM31: especially not the stocks
    KRM31 or the guardian
    JiangsuGrrl: Well, I mean, the Sony Dash Personal Viewer has Wi-Fi
    JiangsuGrrl: And a really great 7 inch LCD touch screen too.
    JiangsuGrrl: But it doesn’t have a battery, if that’s what you’re asking.
    JiangsuGrrl: I can’t carry it with me like an iPad or anything. It’s made to be stationary.
    JiangsuGrrl: But it reminds me of YOU, so I don’t mind booting it up again each time!
    JiangsuGrrl: Why do you ask?
    KRM31: no reason
    KRM31: you’ll be gone for another week right
    KRM31: i mean, because i miss you
    JiangsuGrrl Aw, I miss you too, babycakes!
    JiangsuGrrl: Do you want me to come home early?
    KRM31: no no no no
    KRM31: i mean, it’s cool if you don’t want to
    KRM31: meeting some bros in parliament tuesday anyway
    JiangsuGrrl: Aw, a night out with all your best friends?
    JiangsuGrrl: Okay, well, you boys behave, all right?
    JiangsuGrrl: I don’t want to see anything about you on my Sony Dash Personal Viewer!
    JiangsuGrrl: Ha ha!
    KRM31: ha ha love you ha ha
    KRM31: but srsly, don’t read the guardian
    KRM31: i heard it got hacked or something
    KRM31: don’t trust it
    KRM31: all lies
    JiangsuGrrl: Oh no! I won’t even look at it, honey, I promise.
    JiangsuGrrl: You know I only ever get my news from BSkyB anyway.
    KRM31: yeah, um
    KRM31: about that

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Here's what I'm wondering.

If a random schlub of the same ethnicity as one of the hijackers had been busted hacking the phones of 9/11 victims, odds are the punishment from the American government would have included having their assets frozen and/or a stint in Gitmo.

Gitmo, obviously, is not on the table. But you can see where I'm going with this otherwise.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Gosling wrote:

If a random schlub of the same ethnicity as one of the hijackers had been busted hacking the phones of 9/11 victims, odds are the punishment from the American government would have included having their assets frozen and/or a stint in Gitmo.

Gitmo, obviously, is not on the table. But you can see where I'm going with this otherwise.

Laws and vested interests protect the rich and the powerful, this was true of New's Corp in the UK as well until several years of reporting by the Guardian and individual MP's culminated into: Murdoch fiddles with dead girls corpse (metaphorically).

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Bastable wrote:
    Gosling wrote:

Laws and vested interests protect the rich and the powerful, this was true of New's Corp in the UK as well until several years of reporting by the Guardian and individual MP's culminated into: Murdoch fiddles with dead girls corpse (metaphorically).

Was. He sure ain't protected anymore. This is pure and utter 'never know who you'll run into on the way down' territory. I figure, why not at least bring it up.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Maybe in the UK, but not in this country. Look forward, not back!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.