As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dishonored: Reviews are in, it's good! Completion hours equivalent to penis length.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I could totally be making this up, but I swear that I read that the level design is a direct result of playtesters being able to abuse Blink in such a way that they were reaching inaccessible areas. Instead of toning powers down and/or dealing with invisible walls, apparently the designers wanted the levels made so that it's possible to go anywhere and there are no invisible walls. I hope that's actually the case.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    They most certainly had a a bunch of playtesters trying to abuse all the powers, and then decided not to ever put in invisible walls, or arbitrarily restrict things.

• Options
    Playing through dark messiah again. One thing I noticed was just how much secret stuff they crammed in. I mean, that game was pretty linear, but I definately have faith in these guys to do a whole lot of approaches where you have pay a lot of attention to everything to find them.

I do wonder how possible it will be to do the no-kill runthrough without a guide. It's not going to be my first runthrough, but I hope that it isn't absurdly difficult.

• Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    How can there be a no-kill playthrough in a game about assassination?

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    SvK wrote: »

I think it was on a podcast, but I remember it being about alternate ways of making marks disappear or appear dead without killing them.

Not 100% of the exact details but the given example was of a priest or bishop type dude. You could plant information or something similar that would make it seem like he was a cult leader, so he would be driven out and have to go into hiding, but because this was all done internally it would just seem that he had been wiped out.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Essentially, you can trick the horrible dictatorship into 'disappearing' your enemies, then? I know the E3 example was having the mark sold into slavery by a local gang.

So it's no-kill, but not exactly cuddles and puppies non-violence, here.

• Options
    I think a better way to describe Dishonored would be "a game about vengeance," rather than "a game about assassination." Assassination is simply the means to the end (and the flashy way of showing off the game).

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Essentially, you can trick the horrible dictatorship into 'disappearing' your enemies, then? I know the E3 example was having the mark sold into slavery by a local gang.

So it's no-kill, but not exactly cuddles and puppies non-violence, here.

If you're looking to choose between killing someone or talking them round to a more agreeable perspective, you may be waiting for an entirely different game and technology.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    SvK wrote: »

Your objectives can change with certain dialogue. So instead of "Kill this target," it can become "Spread this information about said target to cast them into exile."

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    @Fawst - Not sure if this was ever answered for you or you saw an answer somewhere, but regarding wanting whales to be involved in the game, as I recall from their first article on this game in some game mag quite a while back, the whole economy is based on whale oil. I assume that is still the case. Their technology, machines and lights and such, are run off of the whale oil. There was a fair bit more to it that they mentioned but I only recall the general overview.

I'm pumped for this, and only a few months away. It's really giving me a Thief vibe from the level design which, to me, is one of the pinnacles of level design. Not the prettiest game of course, but the sheer number of ways you could get into any location in the game I still find impressive. To this day, despite having replayed it dozens of times, sometimes I still stumble upon an area I'd never been to before. I hope this has a similar thing going for it.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Whale oil eh?

I'm going to laugh if someone wrote in the dictator trying to squash some save the whales movement and the PC can decide if he cares or not.

Damn hippies!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    @vamen - Thanks for that, but I actually knew that bit about the whale oil :) I've been following this since I first heard about it from the Game Informer cover story from last year. I just meant that because there is so much that has to do with whaling and whale oil, it would be almost criminal for them to not throw a moment in the game where some scumbag whaling bigwig's uppance comes due to death by sharkwhale. Basically, the design is so badass, it would be a real drop of the ball to not use it for more than just "oh, look at the dead whale hanging from that ship..."

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Ah, I gotcha. I believe it was Game Informer that I read all of that from myself =).

I too hope to give some scum whaler his comeuppance.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Retrospective of the Dishonored Leads. Has some interesting stuff regarding Origin Systems (the studio) fall.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/27/3115822/arkane-dishonored-bethesda-origin-crossing-deus-ex-arx-fatalis

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Gameplay walkthroughs from the E3 level:

http://youtu.be/tZCA6DvtCkY

http://youtu.be/DWKB3naEgl4

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    One detail I appreciated was that even if you go with a violent approach the entire base isn't alerted to the your presence so you can upgrade a messy power or two on a stealth run.

Anyone else wondering why the player randomly knocks the candles over the balcony 1:40 minutes into the second video? I'm pretty sure I saw the same thing in an E3 video.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Dear video game interviewers,

Stop panning from the game footage to yourselves talking. It is never, ever the case that we'd rather see the latter with a small screen of the former than simply a full screen of the former. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Captain Carrot

That drove me nuts. Watching the conferences and having the gameplay footage letterboxed or cut away to the guy playing on stage. Why? Why would you ever do that?

I completely agree with you two. No one gives two shits about watching an interview about a game. Show us the game, and not make us slog through that meandering shit.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Man I don't even need to see anything else about this game, just bring it on.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Man that roof-blinking looked so, so satisfying.

And the loot to steal throughout the building? Yes, I think this will do nicely until Thief 4 comes out. Very nicely.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So apparently there are non violent options for removing every target in the game? That's amazing if they can pull it off. Definitely going to try and kill nobody.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    So apparently there are non violent lethal options for removing every target in the game? That's amazing if they can pull it off. Definitely going to try and kill nobody.

Fixed for technicality which may be very important. :P

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Man, if it wasn't a crazy hard choice of where to pre-order from I would have put the money down on this months ago.

Those gameplay videos only reaffirm that desire.

• Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    It is really refreshing to see a preview played well, without the player messing anything up, and without their holding still for five seconds after every action to make it clear what just happened.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Tertiee wrote: »
    One detail I appreciated was that even if you go with a violent approach the entire base isn't alerted to the your presence so you can upgrade a messy power or two on a stealth run.

Anyone else wondering why the player randomly knocks the candles over the balcony 1:40 minutes into the second video? I'm pretty sure I saw the same thing in an E3 video.

Because fuck those candles! That's why!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Yeah, those candles were dicks.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

They totally deserved it.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular

WTF? Candles are people too!

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular

I thought it was a humorous contrast to the stealth video. In the stealth one the guy blows some candles out.

In the violent one, it's more like "Fuck you candles!"

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Another thing I like: Time slows down, but does not stop, when the power wheel is open. Seems like a nice way of doing things.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    can you use more than one power at once? can other powers be used while time is slowed, for example?

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Definitely keeping an eye on this one. Looks a bit like steam punk assassins creed.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I don't know what those candles' problems were.

• Options
    Nuzak wrote: »
    can you use more than one power at once? can other powers be used while time is slowed, for example?

Yup. For example: Just as a guy fires his gun, freeze time. Possess that guy and walk him in front of his own bullet.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Definitely keeping an eye out for this one. I saw the trailer in D&D's Trailer thread, and the more I read about this, the better it sounds.

And it sounds like Victorian era City 17 Steampunk Assassin's Creed Bioshock.

Which sounds pretty fucking awesome to me.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Assthief's Bio-life: Human Revolution

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Man that roof-blinking looked so, so satisfying.

And the loot to steal throughout the building? Yes, I think this will do nicely until Thief 4 comes out. Very nicely.

Pretty much this. Nearly every game I play, I play stealthy. Why? Thief and it's enduring imprint on me. With that sort of gameplay in mind, this looks like pure catnip.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    So apparently there are non violent lethal options for removing every target in the game? That's amazing if they can pull it off. Definitely going to try and kill nobody.

Fixed for technicality which may be very important. :P

It'll also require a lot of patience and observation. I'm gonna try and do a run like that at one point.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Playing through dark messiah again. One thing I noticed was just how much secret stuff they crammed in. I mean, that game was pretty linear, but I definately have faith in these guys to do a whole lot of approaches where you have pay a lot of attention to everything to find them.

I do wonder how possible it will be to do the no-kill runthrough without a guide. It's not going to be my first runthrough, but I hope that it isn't absurdly difficult.

There is so much secret stuff crammed into Dark Messiah I can't even begin to imagine how much there will be in this one.
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I do quite like all the ways they have found people 'breaking' their game. I think there was even one thing, where if you save up for all the mana potions or upgrades or whatever it is, you can use blink to get aross an entire level, kill your target, and then blink away again. Without even really touching the movement keys.

Bob: Did you hear something?
    Joe: No?
    Bob: There it is again!
    Joe: Yer crazy.
    Bob: No really man I'm hearing it!
    Joe: Alright what did it sound like then.
    Bob: I dunno. Was a weird sound. Sort of like a "bam" sound but softer at the end. Like bah? Bahm?
    *bamf*
    Bob: Yeah that was it! Did you hear it too? ... Joe? Where'd you go?
    *bamf*

Fin.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Finally watching these walkthrough videos and I am grinning like an idiot because of Blink. It makes body disposal a snap!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular