As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote:
    Yeah, I know that, its just weird to me to completely ignore the fact that it's little more than a localized version of a different game. Unless they're actively trying to avoid the previous game's reputation, which is really inspiring confidence.
    It's not so much a "previous game" as it's the same game in a different region. The more buzz they can create by yelling it is "new and innovative" the more people will at least look at it. I mean, Vindictus Europe is releasing characters that were released in North America and SE Asia years ago and they're totally acting as if we are entering a brave new world.

It is funny that it took me this long to figure out Seven Souls is actually a game I played before. I do play a lot of these kind of games, but I only connected the dots when I saw you running through a field of meerkats and then down a ramp to a little harbour town. Everything else was so completely bland it did not leave an impression, but those god damned meerkats triggered a memory. More memories are coming back now, I think I made it to level 10-ish, after a while you go through a bland field and then you hit a big wall. I think I also rolled chakram-guy. One of his moves is to jump in the air and swing both of his weapons at a mob, right?

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    His first skill is like a perioutte of death with the chakram. Second one he does some back kick flip and the last one I got he chucked one of 'em boomerang style at the mob.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote:
    His first skill is like a perioutte of death with the chakram. Second one he does some back kick flip and the last one I got he chucked one of 'em boomerang style at the mob.
    Hmm, it's probably the boomerang thing I'm remembering.

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    So which F2P MMO has a decent sized PA guild?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ryadic wrote:
    So which F2P MMO has a decent sized PA guild?

Star Trek Online, City of Heroes and Aion (once it goes f2p in a few days) currently have more than 6 people playing together, how long this is going to last is unclear in my crystal balls.

You have to keep in mind that PA is a small community of gaming fanatics who kinda fly from game to game like locust. The few people who stick it out with one particular game tend to gravitate to non-PA groups if they seriously want to make progress. There are a few exceptions to these rules, most notably the Team Fortress guys are absolute beasts at the game.

• Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    LOTRO has decent-sized PA guild. Highly recommended.

• Options
    JohanFlick wrote:
    LOTRO has decent-sized PA guild. Highly recommended.

Eh, your definition of "decent-sized" is different from mine. It's the best guild, though.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Aion in NA is almost free now. The free trial (for any newly made trial accounts.) is unlimited now, and caps at level 40, which is only 15 levels below the level cap. So it's basically a head start before the game goes completely free.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    Just a heads up that Wakfu has been released.

camo_sig.png

• Options
    I got a special invite/login thing for Lime Odyssey. Downloading it now, its apparently an ALPHA test. So we'll see how it goes.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Has anyone looked at Lineage II since it went F2P, I remember enjoying myself during the beta but not really having the money to buy it when it released. So now all these years later I am thinking about trying it again.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Good summary of what to expect. Personally I'd give it a pass just on the click-to-move aspect alone.

• Options
    Lime Odysssey is ok I guess. It's the same f2p fare as everywhere else but a little nicer quality. Nothing special going on that i've seen.

• Options
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

They're real dicks about it as well.
    Instead of reimbursing the players who they've tricked into buying stuff at standard prices for weeks whilst knowing they're going to close down the game, they're lowering the prices on all in-game items so that the poor suckers can buy even more stuff that they in a couple of weeks will never again be able to use.

Bad F2P publisher is bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Aldo wrote: »

They're real dicks about it as well.
    Instead of reimbursing the players who they've tricked into buying stuff at standard prices for weeks whilst knowing they're going to close down the game, they're lowering the prices on all in-game items so that the poor suckers can buy even more stuff that they in a couple of weeks will never again be able to use.

Bad F2P publisher is bad.
    Yea, gPotato is a company I would not want to spend money on. Of course, it helps that their games are dreadful.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mmorpg.net is giving out keys for the RaiderZ alpha test starting soon.

It looks like it could be a neat game. It's got a sort of Monster Hunter and Vindictus feel in the gameplay video I saw. Combat is action-based, you fight giant monsters with (probably) instance parties and attack their weak points, and when you kill them you use their parts to make new gear.

Like Monster Hunter there are no classes. How a character plays depends on which weapon they use and the skill trees they invest in. You can be a magic user that fights with a 2-handed sword or a healer with a sword and shield. There aren't any explicitly ranged weapons, except that the magic staff might have some pew pew.

The game is developed by MAIET Entertainment, who also made GunZ. It's being published by Perfect World.

Hopefully there's no nda so I can post some videos.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    How a character plays depends on which weapon they use and the skill trees they invest in. You can be a magic user that fights with a 2-handed sword or a healer with a sword and shield.

When I read lines like this I begin to think about what could have been if "F2P" had been a thing US game companies did before Turbine cancelled AC2.

• Options
    RaiderZ looks neat. I approve of this move to action combat in MMOs.

• Options
    Seems even the magic is targeted. When you begin casting a ranged magical attack a crosshair pops up.

And, like Monster Hunter, you can knock body parts off the bigger monsters.

The other big selling point they're using is, like you can see in the video, that large monsters directly interact with the players. They can stomp them, pick them up and throw them, even take bites out of them or swallow them whole.

stream
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Also, apparently you can apply multiple keys to the same RaiderZ account and there are 3 different variants of that wolf mount to be found (there's a post with links in the forum), if you can be bothered getting them all. You have to do it through the account Redeem section, rather than the beta registration.

Glal on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    First 30 minutes of RaiderZ here.

NOTE: The music starts obscenely loud and I can't turn it down until in game, so maybe mute the first two minutes.

• Options
    Having played it for a bit, it's a surprisingly decent TERA clone, much better than expected. Though it's weird when I try to do something my character can't do yet and she spends 5s complaining to me about it in Korean.

• Options
    It's not quite what I expected.

Lack of instances mean there's some epic boss camping going on. I had to stop playing at the big wolf boss because there were literally 30 people standing there fighting over the spawn, with nobody partying up.

I like that you can get recipes for crafting and they go into your quest UI so you can keep track of your ingredients. Too bad it's not cumulative across multiple items, so you still have to do the math there.

You can start a hybrid class after level 10. You need 10 points in your first class, the one you pick at character creation, to open up the option to put points into another tree. That's not so bad.

stream
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I am really surprised by RaiderZ, in spite of its incredibly stupid name. It really does hit all the notes that TERA's combat does. I tried a Slayer in the TERA weekend betas and the Berserker here feels almost the same: lots of fun with big swords. The game throws big BAM-like monsters at you pretty early too, which is great.

You can tell the game's budget is not quite as big as TERA's, but it's still definitely decent looking, especially among F2P games.

Picking up discarded/environmental weapons and using their special attacks like Streets of Rage and other brawlers is awesome though.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Having played it for a bit, it's a surprisingly decent TERA clone, much better than expected. Though it's weird when I try to do something my character can't do yet and she spends 5s complaining to me about it in Korean.

It's actually in Japanese I think. I know the NPC's are speaking Japanese.

• Options
    Really? How odd, the company is Korean (I actually checked, because I couldn't be bothered firing up the game again to find out and I had the sound too low to hear details. Joke's on me apparently!).

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The NPCs are definitely speaking Korean. The untranslated game text is also Korean.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Scosglen wrote: »
    The NPCs are definitely speaking Korean. The untranslated game text is also Korean.

I totally thought it was japanese in my 30 mins playing. I stand corrected.

• Options
    Spirit Tales is in beta at the moment. Marketing itself as the cutest fantasy game it actually is pretty darn adorable.
    spirittales01.jpg

I love how the world falls away Animal Crossing style. Gameplay-wise, same old same old, though with a fair number of QoL features (you autoloot mobs the moment you kill them regardless of distance, yes please). The gimmick is that killing stuff fills your Spirit gauge and you can transform into your class' totem form for some bonuses; nothing earth shattering, but it gives you some nice bonuses and your gauge seems to fill fast enough so it's not just something you can use once a day.
    The controls are kind of interesting, your offensive spell shortcuts merely place that spell on your RMB slot, Diablo-style (though you can just push it again after it's selected to cast it that way instead).

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Took a while but Vanguard's going F2P.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Took a while but Vanguard's going F2P.
    holy moly.

This must also mean the game will get more attention in SOE. Maybe they'll double the amount of developers working on this game from 1 to 2...

• Options
    Hmm, wonder which classes will be left in F2P... I do enjoy me some Vanguard, just not enough to play it for 1 month straight.

• Options
    Probably Warriors, Rogues, Clerics, and Sorcerers.

I just hope they don't make you buy classes individually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I would consider vanguard F2P. I liked the game. chances are good my favorite class will be pay though.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Entaru wrote: »
    I would consider vanguard F2P. I liked the game. chances are good my favorite class will be pay though.
    If you played before, there's a good chance your old characters that have any of the premium class/race combos will still be playable after the conversion.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    If you played before, there's a good chance your old characters that have any of the premium class/race combos will still be playable after the conversion.

I'll definitely give my disciple a shot again.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    My earlier argument re:Vanguard still holds true, though. What is Vanguard's main selling point? Exploring. Dungeons going all the way down...strange new tides...flying mounts to far-off places...

Now if they want to make this game following Turbine's credo of "don't lock your main selling point"* then they'll be faced by quite a challenge to make anything worth paying for. Sure, there's classes, but those are 1-time unlocks. And vanity items, but you can't rely completely on non-essential items to pay for everything.

I'm curious!

*in LOTRO: epic quests that tie your character to the main story of the Ring.

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.