As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Man, I will readily drop $20-$40 to "look really cool" in an MMO. Buying cosmetics or XP boosts is what has always sucked up my money in any F2P MMO I've played.

You know what I wont pay for? Classes, races, access to items I should otherwise have access to. If I have to pay to use an item that dropped in the game for me? I uninstall the game.

But, that's just me.

Anon the Felon on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    So many lines in the sand.

edited July 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    So many lines in the sand.

A touch goosy.

Am I not allowed to dislike that particular F2P model? I'm confused why you're taking shots at me.

Anon the Felon on
    It's was more a general reaction to the responses, yours just happened to be at the end.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Brad McQuaid returns to Vanguard after ~5 years. Internet in SHOCK. News at 11.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/05/vanguard-welcomes-the-return-of-brad-mcquaid/

Aldo on
    If this means Vanguard will get some actual development again I will be overjoyed. That poor game has been an MMO zombie for years.

Glal wrote: »
    If this means Vanguard will get some actual development again I will be overjoyed. That poor game has been an MMO zombie for years.

It's related to the F2P launch, so I'm sure theres more than 1 guy working at it now anyway. It's just that it's the guy who made the game in the first place is returning, which is strange. Keep in mind this is one of the people responsible for the terrible launch and subsequent state of disrepair of Vanguard. I'm not sure he's really the kind of person to make things work out.

edited July 2012
    Given the game's publishing history I wouldn't blame the guy too hard. When you're working on an MMO and your staff keeps getting cycled around because the publisher changes his mind, then dumps you and then the new one has ideas about the game all of their own before rushing the game out half-finished to make a buck...

Glal on
    Come to think of it, do you know of any interesting articles about the history of VG?

edited July 2012
    Kinda tricky it turns out, old articles going dead. Here's something from a disgruntled employee, though the fact that it was written a day after getting fired should likely be taken into account.
    http://www.f13.net/index.php?itemid=561
    An interview with Brad.
    http://www.f13.net/index.php?itemid=562

Brad himself had a multi part post-mortem on his site (1, 2, 3, 4), but those links have since gone dead and I even archive.org fails me. If someone can dig out a copy that'd be wonderful.

[edit] This is a telling quote about how the development team was affected with management change, though.
    When you've got billions of dollars spent trying to launch a new console and millions on the PC titles, you're gonna make sure that the Xbox 360 kicks ass - I think they did a good job of that. The lower level people were put in charge of our project were people who didn't have any MMO experience. They had done Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2. We tried very hard to bring them up to speed and with open arms to show them the differences and similarities between developing an MMO and a single player game - the scale and things like that. That just didn't seem to work. Previously, the people who were dealing with us committed to us - verbally - that they, Microsoft, wanted and were determined to launch a AAA Massively Multiplayer Role-Playing Game - and to do whatever it took to make sure that happened. While that's not down on paper - as no company ever would put down on paper - that was our understanding. Under the new regime, that commitment, nobody remembered it.

Glal on
    Thanks, what a mess. Sounds the kind of game I should play as soon as it goes f2p.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    A new MMO-Grinder is up, covering why you should and shouldn't play Vindictus. A new MMO Underground was also released this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMia_3vEZzA

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Another one bites the dust...Eligium will be shutting down July 17th.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Another one bites the dust...Eligium will be shutting down July 17th.

Best part of Elegium is the poem Harry Hall wrote about it on MMO Reporter.

Which you can read the transcript here: http://mmoreporter.com/2012/07/08/mmo-reporter-episode-86-harry-writes-a-letter-to-the-tax-office/#more-6086

They also play back him reading it in that episode if you want to hear it.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Nice.

"You’ll need a competent exorsist
    To expel this gruesome beast
    Burn it burn it burn it all
    just burn it while you can
    Burn it burn it burn it all
    Burn this plague, this horror of man
    And I also dislike the font, where the ‘m’ lacks a line so it looks like an ‘n’."

is now my entry for Eligium.

(oh hi Google search result)

• NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Looks like they are easing up on the restrictions for Vanguard F2P a bit. Linky

Less item restriction is a pretty good step. Not being able to equip the rare items I get from exploring the world and bonking named mobs is huge minus. Not sure what "uncommon and higher" means exactly, especially with the item revamp going in with F2P, but hopefully at least orange items will be equipable. And if not just getting the game going again would be enough for me to pay the sub fee and have some fun, love the game even though I don't play it and haven't for some time.

Nathrak on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Does anyone in this thread still play Atlantica Online? I'm probably going to go back to it after a long break, just want to know if there is people to hook up with or no.

Cheers.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    t Klatu: everyone I know burned out long ago. I can recommend playing around solo for a while and see if you can find enough neat features to warrant the search for a pleasant guild. I'm sure there are plenty, but there's no sense joining a PvP guild if all you wanna do is explore America or join a PvE/leveling guild if you just want to beat other humans to pulp.

Hey America: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/12/amazon-adds-selection-of-free-to-play-games-and-services-with-ga/

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    There's a new Black Prophecy game focusing on large ship combat. Has it been mentioned already and I missed it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5_Z0JaDVOQ

• FragarachFragarach Never misses. Registered User regular
    There's a new Black Prophecy game focusing on large ship combat. Has it been mentioned already and I missed it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5_Z0JaDVOQ

I have heard bad things about this game, but does anyone know anything concrete? The flight-sim MMO is something I've missed pretty badly since Space Cowboy went tits up.

Space Cowboy is still available under different titles, see:
    https://ace.subagames.com/index.aspx
    http://www.airrivals.net/

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Dark Blood is finally in open beta. Looks fun enough. I'll probably try it on Sunday.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    Page- wrote: »
    Dark Blood is finally in open beta. Looks fun enough. I'll probably try it on Sunday.

I'm playing it right now, it's very old school, maybe a bit too much... I think Lunia did a better job because you could actually aim in 8 directions while Dark Blood sticks to the classic 2 and moving in 4 directions.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Got an email from PW about RaiderZ upcoming closed beta as well as two extra keys. From the sounds of it, people that redeemed keys for earlier beta events are getting extras as well.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm ctrl+ving this post from SE++
    Darmak wrote: »
    Huh, apparently they're making an Otherland MMO and while I don't know how it will play it sure is pretty.

Warning: dubstep lol
    http://youtu.be/jT40EhYgy-g

I'm a big fan of the books so I went ahead and signed up for it. I mean hell, it's free so I might as well try it.

JtgVX0H.png
    Wow, that looks cool. *adds to Gamigo account*

That does look pretty spectacular.

I just hope it's not...

"WOW this is AMAZING! Look at this landscape! Look at that city! I've never seen anything like this! Oh man, let's talk to this NPC. Hey! Hey guy! What's your deal, what are you about?"

"Hello newcomer! I hear you are strong adventurer. I am having problems with Fafnars, they are destroying my business. Please go across the street and save my business!"

Fafnars Killed 0/25

...*sigh*

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    That does look pretty spectacular.

I just hope it's not...

"WOW this is AMAZING! Look at this landscape! Look at that city! I've never seen anything like this! Oh man, let's talk to this NPC. Hey! Hey guy! What's your deal, what are you about?"

"Hello newcomer! I hear you are strong adventurer. I am having problems with Fafnars, they are destroying my business. Please go across the street and save my business!"

Fafnars Killed 0/25

...*sigh*

I'm sure it will be, but I still won't mind playing for a bit and being able to see the places from the books. Then I'll probably uninstall and that will be that!

JtgVX0H.png
    So Dragonica got a "2.0" with a graphics upgrade, improvements to races and loads of quality of life improvements all around the place.

Got bored, updated Wakfu. Man, they've really rolled out a bunch of changes since the end of beta. Extra classes/races, extra nations, the classes themselves redone (Ecaflips feel much better now).
    And the game is still pretty beyond words.

wakfu_owls.jpg

Belgian game magazine Gameplay reviewed it when it hit Live and they gave it a meagre 60/100-ish. They (as well as everyone) loved the style, the general idea but found the actual game lacking. It is annoying that so much of the game is locked off for F2Pers (making the game kind of a borderline case for my list...) but it's the actual gameplay that grows tiresome far too soon and along with the major limitations on F2Pers it is only worsened.

To paraphrase them: playing alone is too slow and not tactical enough to get much fun out of it, so you have to play with others, just to enjoy the synergy between different classes and builds. But, with the way the game is limited for F2P it is rather difficult to enjoy the full depth of combat. And even when multiplaying, it gets same-old same-old rather swiftly, you either steamroll everything or hit brick walls it seems. It's not much like a regular TBS where challenges are introduced from the get-go.

What's the status of DOFUS? Worth getting into?

The art style appeals to my wife.

What's the status of DOFUS? Worth getting into?

The art style appeals to my wife.
    http://www.dofus.com/en still exists, but Wakfu is it's direct replacement, so I'm not sure how long it will continue to receive support.

Aldo wrote: »
    To paraphrase them: playing alone is too slow and not tactical enough to get much fun out of it, so you have to play with others, just to enjoy the synergy between different classes and builds. But, with the way the game is limited for F2P it is rather difficult to enjoy the full depth of combat. And even when multiplaying, it gets same-old same-old rather swiftly, you either steamroll everything or hit brick walls it seems. It's not much like a regular TBS where challenges are introduced from the get-go.
    Yeah, I can see that, even right out of the tutorial I've been seeing F2P fences. Hey look, a mining node, gather gather gather. Go to the next area, the mining node declares it requires a subscription... well, what's even the point of the low level ones, then?
    They also put in some sort of light questing system (at the very least it tracks your tasks and what steps still remain), but it's still too Lite for my taste. I quite dig the combat system and the game is charming as heck, but it's hard to keep interested when all you're doing is running around killing shit just to make your skills slowly hit harder.

So I tried Wakfu. I really really tried it.

But good god do they make things really unclear. I was supposed to join a nation or something, in order to progress. Ran back and forth between two NPC's three times trying to figure out what to do. Takes 15 minutes to make that run...still couldn't join a nation. I was supposed to talk to some big owl, then a guard...but there were no waypoints, no direction other than "hope you can read a map!"

Well, Wakfu, I can read a map. Except you don't give me markers or any kind of real idea of where I am supposed to go. God forbid you give me a quest log so I can look shit up.

A little frustrated. All that artistic talent, wasted on a not-so-good game.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Maybe just watch the goofy cartoons instead. That animation is surprisingly good.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    The Wakfu anime is fantastic, it's done by French cartoonists and I'd put it right there on the same level as Avatar in terms of art style and story-telling. It's just kind of difficult to find a nicely subbed version of it, because it's French all right. Very French.

And yea Anon, it is actually not required at all to join a nation, it actually offers nothing interesting for F2Pers. If you're willing to give it a second try: go and kill some more mobs and try to join a group of other players.

There should be a little bar on the left side of the screen with each quest being represented by a picture. To get into a nation what they want you to do is run to the middle connecting all the 4 nations (open your map and zoom out. You'll have started on one of the 4 cross sections, go talk to the guy in the very middle).
    There is an indicator that points you to the quest item, but it seems to be inconsistent. For me it only activated once I talked to the guy in the middle and then it went "oh yeah, go back THAT way to get your passport". Gee, would have been nice to have that for the first step, too.

Well, it's now official as the TOR thread shows.

theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/31/3207160/star-wars-the-old-republic-going-free-to-play-this-fall

Here's the quick list of paid vs. free "features".

swtor.com/FREE/features

edited July 2012
    Well, it's now official as the TOR thread shows.

theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/31/3207160/star-wars-the-old-republic-going-free-to-play-this-fall

Here's the quick list of paid vs. free "features".

swtor.com/FREE/features
    Thanks for the heads up, Citizen.

Pfff, another one going for the DDO/LOTRO model. It's not fun any more maintaining this list if a multi-million game is supposed to stand right next to a game like Seyken with a budget as large as one guy's savings. :? Part of the reason why all plans to expand this joint to a proper website aren't getting anywhere is because I can't figure out a way to compare apples to apples without having to resort to prefacing everything I write with how much money I think something costs to make. Because yea I hold a game made by Bioware to completely different standards than a studio's first title.

In other news, I *just* received an e-mail that Zentia is going offline on the 13th of August. That's kind of sad, because the game was as close as we'll ever get to a digital representation of the shit you find a cheap Chinese restaurant.

BWPv3.jpg

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.