As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Apparently GunZ 2 is nearing somewhat of a release state since the publisher for the Americas has put up a Greenlight page for it.

http://youtu.be/PdGt6qc_mwM

Thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    I've read about the value of non-paying customers before, but this article is a nice summary of a few core-concepts that seem to be completely lost to a lot of publishers: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/PhilipDriver/20130326/189315/Player_Valuation_For_Marketing_in_Free_to_Play_Games.php

One thing the author forgets to mention is the in-game value created by non-paying players for paying players. There's two effects at play here: [1] we love to stand out in a crowd and [2] we need people to play with and against.

[1] Is done by vanity items, when you're the guy with the colourful wig, shiny greatsword and riding a unicorn you'll feel like a million bucks compared to folks who didn't bother forking over a tenner.
    [2] Is straightforward: open the door for everyone and you'll have a lively party.

The MOBAs and TF2 are great examples of this done right: everyone can play the game and there's always stuff going on, people who have paid money stand out with awesome skins and hats.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    That's an argument I've been trying to make to people for quite awhile now. Good to see it being made by others as well.

• Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    That's an argument I've been trying to make to people for quite awhile now. Good to see it being made by others as well.
    What kind of arguments are made anyway? Anything that isn't discussed in the Gamasutra article?

• Options
    They covered as far as I ever took the line of thinking.

It's just maddening how few people recognize(d) any value to free players in a game, even though it should be fairly obvious how awful of an experience many games would be if only the paying players were left.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    For anyone been waiting to try Scarlet Blade AKA Queen's Blade Online AKA BOOOOOOBS the MMORPG, you'll be happy to know that the game's hit open beta. If you're unfamiliar with it and need an idea of what to expect, watch these probably-NSFW trailers, story out here and character-class and 'customization' in the box below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lCXA9gPuS0

• Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    For anyone been waiting to try Scarlet Blade AKA Queen's Blade Online AKA BOOOOOOBS the MMORPG, you'll be happy to know that the game's hit open beta. If you're unfamiliar with it and need an idea of what to expect, watch these probably-NSFW trailers, story out here and character-class and 'customization' in the box below.

I have been playing this since CB, and besides the boobs, it is actually pretty fun. Some of the story stuff is pretty pants on head retarded, but most people will not pay attention to that and "BOOBS" instead.

I am playing a Whipper right now, and its really weird playing that as a tank class, but its fun nonetheless.

• Options
    Holy crap that looks offensive

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    omega71 wrote: »

I have been playing this since CB, and besides the boobs, it is actually pretty fun. Some of the story stuff is pretty pants on head retarded, but most people will not pay attention to that and "BOOBS" instead.

I am playing a Whipper right now, and its really weird playing that as a tank class, but its fun nonetheless.

Do you read Playboy for the articles?

• Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Holy crap that looks offensive

I dunno about that as I haven't played it yet myself but it's certainly focused on getting the attention of certain players, that's for sure. I don't think I can even link any videos of the Character Creator here seeing as part of it is deciding what underwear you want your character to start out with.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Okay. For scarlet blade. I want you to go to the website, go to the classes, and then look at archetype 3 for the whipper.

And then tell me that isn't a goddamn sectoid. Look at that head, it's shape. The eye shape, and tell me that anime woman isn't a sectoid.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Holy shit... I watched that 3rd video and it made me really uncomfortable. Dem uncanny valley boobs... also objectification. Are there even male characters in this game?

• Options
    Are there even male characters in this game?

Nnnnope. All girls, most likely due to it being a Queen's Blade-related product even if it doesn't have anything to do really with the actual Queen's Blade storyline.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Are there even male characters in this game?

Nnnnope. All girls, most likely due to it being a Queen's Blade-related product even if it doesn't have anything to do really with the actual Queen's Blade storyline.

I didn't know what that was and now I think I need to burn my internet.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    There are male characters, just not playable male characters.

I downloaded it last night, because of omega's statement that it's fun... and of course, BOOOOOOBS! So far, the only redeeming quality I've seen is BOOOOOOBS!

You don't gain experience from killing enemies, but rather gain experience by completing missions. I've seen four mission types out of the couple dozen I've done. "Kill # enemy", "Kill enemy and get # of items from enemy" (which is pretty much the same thing), "Talk to person", and "Go to location".

Combat is basically a poor WoW clone. I went with the whipper class. Auto-attack with an occasional 1 or 2 thrown in as cooldowns allow. You gain skill points when you level to buy new skills with, or upgrade current ones. The abilities don't seem particularly interesting, though. Plus, you've got a basic mana system that seems pointless with the class I chose. I really think cutting down on the number of skills, and doing away with the mana while tweaking the cooldown times would have made it more interesting.

I don't have the beefiest of computers, but the game runs much poorer than it should... I mean, unless there's an actual physics engine behind the jiggles. Doubt it though, it looks like a canned animation, and I was definitely looking.

Unless I'm still in some tutorial area, or the game just gets more interesting later (haven't done the robots yet)... The game's hook is pretty obvious, at there's not much beyond that. Hell, they may as well embrace that with camera angles during animations (as in Bayonetta) for the sake of humor and BOOOOOOBS!

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    Here's the MMOGrinder summary http://mmogrinder.net/2013/04/01/snidequest-scarlet-blade/

This shit is bananas.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Ahaha, that's hilarious. :D

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So DFO is no more.
    Dear Dungeon Fighters,

In 2009, Nexon America was proud to release one of Nexon’s unique and most popular titles, Dungeon Fighter Online (DFO). Since the launch, Neople’s development team and Nexon America’s publishing team partnered to bring to you the action packed promise of DFO.

For more than three years, our teams worked hard in hopes of building a strong community through new content updates, service fixes, and events. We tirelessly battled hackers and farmers. We even had the honor of presenting the game to you at E3 and PAX. However, Dungeon Fighter Online was not able to grow beyond its very special and proud core following.

Sadly, Dungeon Fighter Online has not attracted enough player interest to properly service the game. Internally, we struggled deeply with the popularity of DFO in North America as the title is immensely popular overseas. For more than three years, we went through many milestones and several pushes before we came to this very difficult decision.

We sincerely regret to inform you that we will be bringing Nexon America’s service of DFO to an end.

We understand that many of you will be disappointed by this news. We hope that the game represents some of your great gaming memories. You have made new friends, created awesome characters, picked up some epic loot, and recorded some unforgettable victories. We, too, have loved working on this game, and learned a lot through our relationship with DFO.

A ramp-down of the game will begin on April 11, 2013, with the closing of the cash shop. Full service will discontinue on June 13, 2013.

We will compensate players for the purchase of unused or partially-used Permanent and Durational items purchased within the past six months. The dollar value is correlated with the time of purchase, the status of the item, etc.. More information regarding compensation can be found here.

Working on DFO during the past three years has been an honor, and we thank all of you Dungeon Fighters for joining us on this exciting journey.

- Min Kim, CEO, Nexon America

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh man, Moonlight Online is so terrible. It feels like a 2006 F2P Korean MMO that got lost in time for 7 years, both graphically and mechanically. NPC voice clips are so dire I'm still not sure whether they're voice acted or computer generated, the game starts you off with an empty hotskill bar, letting you navigate menus to find your starting two skills. Not that they're any more interesting than auto-attacks, just higher DPS. You also start with literally no gear except a weapon; my mage was running around in a loincloth.

The game's gimmick is that you can make a human, vampire or werewolf. I made a werewolf, because mage werewolves, fuck yeah. Except apparently werewolf means you're a guy that needs to wait 1000 in-game seconds to fill up a bar, then transform into a wolf for 30 seconds. Conveniently, 1030 seconds is about as much playtime as I had patience for.

But hey, at least you can already spend money in its cash mall!

• Options
    Gleeeee, thanks dudes! An update about a game shutting down *and* confirmation that the shitty looking grind MMO is actually a shitty grind MMO. It's basically like Christmas came early for me.

• Options
    Not surprising about DFO. Nexon bungled that so damn badly.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    A correction about Scarlet Blade:

Seems that you do get experience from killing enemies, just not from the get go. I'm guessing around level 10ish, you start getting xp awards. Still haven't gotten to run around in a giant robot, don't imagine I'll be able to stomach much more of the game, either. The random talk in chat is entertaining, though.

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    I managed to play the game up to about lvl 22 on a very boring day

it really isn't worth playing, the grind gets ramped up at about lvl 20 (or at least, it feels like it gets ramped up).

fun for a laugh and some boobs but it really isn't worth playing after reaching 20

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    DFO shutting down makes me super sad. I played that one hardcore for a while.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    DFO shutting down makes me super sad. I played that one hardcore for a while.
    It was a good game, yeah. But I saw the writing on the walls ages ago. Nexon kinda left it to rot for a long time.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    When tickets started taking months to be answered, I figured this sort of thing would come around the bend eventually. I remember being locked out of my account due to "suspicious activity", then having to jump through hoops while skating on the frozen lakes of Cocytus in order to get the thing back. Afterwards, Nexon shut me out of my account again after claiming that their prior investigation had been off and that they had collected proof of some wrongdoing on my part even though I had just played the game normally and was trying to level my Priest. During this time, Nexon swore up and down that no one had any access to my account despite friends of mine telling me that my characters had been online whenever they played. Afterwards, I got access back once again only to find that everything was gone.

Several of my level one dudes had been reported for spamming pitches for gold sales and I was inevitably banned permanently. Nexon still claimed that no one had ever logged on while I was locked out then eventually started claiming that I had never gotten into contact with their support to start with. This entire process took close to a year. That company does some remarkably shady stuff, especially with games that they obviously no longer support. I've heard similar things going on with Dragon Nest, as well, though all of that is just hearsay. I picked up Rusty Hearts for a little bit, but there's something about that game that causes me to just sort of fall off of the side of it like really old tape slipping off of the wall. That's a really dumb approach to saying I can't get stuck on it, by the way. My writing teachers would be sad to see all of that good work of theirs go down the drain.

• Options
    Well, Rusty hearts is perfect world though, so it's not related.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Rusty hearts felt like a more boring DFO to me. There was something really satisfying about how only a few classes felt like they belonged in a "beat'em up" game, and yet it all worked.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    oh, i know it's not related. i have a habit of just inserting new, unrelated subjects into my diatribes, so i apologize for that. the idea behind mentioning it was that it's just a new thing to try out in order to scratch my itch for a decent brawler mmo. there's something about rusty hearts that's just dreadfully boring and difficult to stay with. dragon nest is okay for a while, but what little significant depth there seems to be is buried more in the cash shop than the actual game. perhaps i'm wrong on that impression, but that's what it seemed like. there was an item enhancement and gambling element there and the only real way to get ahead in that element of the game is to spend some real cash.

despite the flaws with nexon, dfo had the style and gameplay that really felt more visceral than anything else on the market. the entire endgame presented some ridiculously unique and elaborate challenges, as well, so it became what could potentially be described as a reaction-based puzzle game with light platforming and such. you had to concentrate on some really twisted mechanics in addition to the fighter element. after a certain point in your gear progression, you could become ridiculously overpowered and the developers actively supported that approach, going so far as to advertise it in their trailers.

hopefully, there will be something else that drags me in and gives me a similar sense of satisfaction. a lot of beat-em-ups are out there, either available now or being developed. gotta get that whacky, flashy fix, man.GOTTA KILL ME SOME GOBLINS WITH FIRE KICKS HURRRGHHHHBLURGHBLEBLEBLEARGH

• Options
    oh, i know it's not related. i have a habit of just inserting new, unrelated subjects into my diatribes, so i apologize for that. the idea behind mentioning it was that it's just a new thing to try out in order to scratch my itch for a decent brawler mmo. there's something about rusty hearts that's just dreadfully boring and difficult to stay with. dragon nest is okay for a while, but what little significant depth there seems to be is buried more in the cash shop than the actual game. perhaps i'm wrong on that impression, but that's what it seemed like. there was an item enhancement and gambling element there and the only real way to get ahead in that element of the game is to spend some real cash.

despite the flaws with nexon, dfo had the style and gameplay that really felt more visceral than anything else on the market. the entire endgame presented some ridiculously unique and elaborate challenges, as well, so it became what could potentially be described as a reaction-based puzzle game with light platforming and such. you had to concentrate on some really twisted mechanics in addition to the fighter element. after a certain point in your gear progression, you could become ridiculously overpowered and the developers actively supported that approach, going so far as to advertise it in their trailers.

hopefully, there will be something else that drags me in and gives me a similar sense of satisfaction. a lot of beat-em-ups are out there, either available now or being developed. gotta get that whacky, flashy fix, man.GOTTA KILL ME SOME GOBLINS WITH FIRE KICKS HURRRGHHHHBLURGHBLEBLEBLEARGH
    There's some more brawler MMOs in the 'arcade' category. I'm surprised you're not all over TERA or Vindictus, actually.

• Options
    I played TERA for a while, but stopped for whatever reason. None of my friends got into it and the solo experience is absolutely nerve-grating. I play Vindictus every now and then. Thinking about it right now makes me want to reinstall the thing. After a while, the constant grinding for materials will probably get old, but whatever. I honestly couldn't possibly care any less about the story, either, and find myself grudgingly slogging through absolutely endless back-and-forth bullshit between talking heads that I can't even be bothered to remember the names of. I just want to smash shit face-first into barrels and pillars of stone.

• Options
    New stuff added, all of this is because I listened to the MMO Underground podcast and if I end up on the websites of publishers I'll check what other games I was missing. There's quite a few exciting upcoming titles here, especially ArcheAge looks amazing, if you've got a minute, just browse through their fantastic website. It's slick as butter.

World of Tanks Blitz
    Mobile-only
    Info: World of tanks for iOS and Android! It's basically the same game, only with smaller battles and less complex controls. They're thinking about tying this directly to their other 'World of ---" one way or another.
    Avoid? It's cool, man

Navy Field 2
    Client
    Info: See Navy Field. Published by Nexon, so there's a chance they'll shut this down all of a sudden.
    Avoid? I dunno

Ecol Tactics
    In-browser
    Info: Inspired by the old-school TBS titles of yore. It promises a big story, a huge world and plenty of tactical options.
    Avoid? I dunno

Yitien
    Client
    Info: 2.5D RPG with turn-based combat a la Final Fantasy.
    Avoid? I dunno

Broken Realm
    Client
    Info: 2D RPG straight from Asia. It looks clunky, very outdated and has the graphics I'm more accustomed to seeing in a Chinese takeaway restaurant. There's some cute subclasses and plenty of systems to fiddle with, but it looks far too outdated to enjoy instantly.
    Avoid? I dunno

Archeville
    Mobile-only
    Info: Mobile subgame for ArcheAge (see MMORPG category). It's like Farmville and I'm only mentioning it here because it is connected to a big title.
    Avoid? I dunno

ArcheAge
    Client
    Info: Classless RPG from Korea with a fantasticly slick website, naval combat, rafting down rivers, flying using hanggliders, housing system and more features that is supposed to make the game a bit more like an open world. Trion Worlds is going to launch this game "in the west".
    Avoid? I dunno

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Speaking of TERA (sort of), I don't see it on any of your lists, Aldo? Although it is one of your recommendations

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Speaking of TERA (sort of), I don't see it on any of your lists, Aldo? Although it is one of your recommendations

Oh shi--

I don't know what you're talking about? It's right there under MMO Arcade.
    Thanks Kime, I made an oopsie

• Options
    World's First, Beau Hindman of Massively hates a game. Unsurprisingly it's Scarlet Blade.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/07/rise-and-shiny-peeking-into-the-half-naked-world-of-scarlet-bla/
    His conclusion:
    Do yourself a favor: Download Scarlet Blade right now. Drag the file onto a thumb drive. Take the thumb drive out back and smash it with a hammer. Then go play something else.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Got a couple more SB-related links thanks to the SE++ Webcomics thread of all places since they started talking about women's portrayal in video games and SB popped up.

destructoid.com/scarlet-blade-might-be-the-most-shameless-f2p-game-yet-250929.phtml - Not much of an article as is there for people to criticize and defend the game in the comments.

The video linked on the Destructoid 'article' above but it was linked first in the Webcomics thread. Put it in the box due to a NSFW preview shot.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Tried out Dino Storm, since the guy mentioned it under the Scarlet Blade review.
    This is the most Mobile MMO MMO that ever Mobile MMOd. Lack of input customisation? Check. Everything done by clicking and confirming menus? Check (you want to attack? Click mob, choose Attack. You want to talk to someone? Click them, choose Talk. You want to interact? Likewise). Multiple currencies, including a real money one? Yep.
    And the biggest crime, pointless time wasters that can be "sped up" by spending money. Oh, you want to upgrade your dinosaur? That'll be X amount of items. Not enough? Buy them with real money! Okay, you're upgrading now, your dinosaur will upgrade in X minutes, yay! Everything you do is an Achievement with constant tiny carrots being thrown at you (hooray, you opened a store window!) that amount to little except making everything feel unrewarding.

The game is sort of charming with its Wild West feel and music, but it looks like something that could run on a phone, has PSX level fog going on, the world looks barren and it's just not much fun to play at that. I got a quest to fetch 3 water barrels, which involved walking to an NPC a decent jog away (there's no autorun), clicking them, watching a progress bar, walking back, clicking a barrel, watching a progress bar... for each of the 3 barrels.

tl;dr: if you ever fired up a mobile MMO and went "the 2001 graphics, the microtransaction infestation, the simplistic gameplay, if only I could play it on my powerful computer instead!" this is the game for you. Otherwise, avoid.

Glal on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Got a couple more SB-related links thanks to the SE++ Webcomics thread of all places since they started talking about women's portrayal in video games and SB popped up.

destructoid.com/scarlet-blade-might-be-the-most-shameless-f2p-game-yet-250929.phtml - Not much of an article as is there for people to criticize and defend the game in the comments.

The video linked on the Destructoid 'article' above but it was linked first in the Webcomics thread. Put it in the box due to a NSFW preview shot.

That game is designed to keep your hands off the keyboard and otherwise..occupied, isnt it?

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

That game is designed to keep your hands off the keyboard and otherwise..occupied, isnt it?

Well that's what ChaosD1 hints at when he goes over the controls. That is, if you can understand him with that voice he uses for the NSFW 'Snidequest' on the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1w4GcW0cqU

Speaking of MMO-Grinder, the latest episode was released over the weekend, covering Age Of Conan. Not up on Chaos' YT channel yet though.

This discussion has been closed.