As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Free MMO Überlist]

1293031323335»

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    It never becomes a grind, and if you just do the story content that's all designed to be done solo, so you can do it easily with 2 people. The only time you need to party is for the dungeons and skirmishes, but there's a good chance you'll miss out on those because you level way too fast and they're all level restricted (ie., you'll get a level 15 skirmish, but by the time you want to do it you're level 18 and locked out). The biggest problem with the game is that it's way too easy to out level all the content if you even do a little bit of side stuff, like foundry dailies or whatever.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Thanks! What's the end game like, then?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited July 2013
    Grinding dungeons for better gear.

Just play to 60 if that's all you want. It's easy and there are no restrictions of you don't want to pay for anything. If you get to 60 you can try running a few dungeons to see if you like that. They're an investment, though, since after about level 30 dungeons will take at least 45 minutes even if your party doesn't wipe, and the end game dungeons will take over an hour and have a much higher chance of having everyone wipe at the boss and all that time is wasted.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    How many people does it take to do a dungeon at various levels?

Steam profile
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    There is also all the user-generated content in The Foundry (you can also make your own content there!), which might give you a nicer end-game than running dungeons. :)

Dungeons are done with preset groups. You can queue for them while doing regular content and it will just tell you when there are enough players and automatically add you to the party when it gets made. That's not a big deal. The problem is the level requirements. You can be waiting in the dungeon queue and by the time you find a party you've levelled up and can no longer do that dungeon. You can still enter them manually via the map, but then you have to make your own party. Dungeon parties aren't that big, they're like 5 players or something right now.

The Foundry is pretty much a dead end. It scales with you, so it becomes progressively harder as you level up. If you do any Foundry quests at all you will quickly out level the normal quest content, and cut yourself out of even more dungeons and skirmishes. As an end game it's pointless. The only reason you run end game dungeons is because they drop specific epic loot that you need to be able to get into higher level dungeons. Foundry quests will never drop anything more than blues, and by the time you're like level 25 blues are pretty much just vendor trash. If you want starter end game gear you can grind pvp to get enough pvp currency to buy the level 60 pvp gear, which is fine for doing the basic end game dungeons.

However, if you just care about dicking around in new content then the Foundry is alright. You can play the maps and stories people make, just so long as you realize you're only doing it to play through the user generated content, it will never actually get you better loot than you'd be getting playing normally, and players can only use some monsters when making their maps (they can't add dungeon bosses, for example, which are the only things in the game that require more strategy than basic smacking and tanking and kiting). And like I keep saying, if you do any sort of side content you will out level skirmishes and dungeons before you can do them, so if you want to do all of those then avoid the Foundry (or at least Foundry content that has a lot of stuff to kill and xp to be gained), especially if it's x2 xp time. It's not just common for most players to out level like half the dungeons and skirmishes without even being able to do them, it's something that happens to pretty much everyone.

But the game is perfectly enjoyable up till 60, so do that.

stream
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Not to sound like an apologist but the game only recently officially launched and the first content-patch for it hasn't yet dropped so some slack should be given for now when it comes to what the game isn't doing right.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    launch good games

liEt3nH.png
    It's good so far! For me :P

Steam profile
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ...I went Googling for Dungeon Fighter, which I never did get to trying out, and I guess I missed the boat. :/

Does anyone know of a similar concept?

With Love and Courage
    There's a game called ChronoBlade that is along those lines, though not with sprites. I've been in since the alpha, but never played, since they decided to make it a facebook game and I'm not on facebook. You can check it out if you like. I may even have my old code laying around that maybe still works since I never played.

This is the last video they sent, something about new super attacks being added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slZd0oYJPkw&feature=youtu.be

There are also games that have the same basic structure. That is, heavily instance-based with action combat. Stuff like Dragon Nest (cartoony) and Vindictus (less cartoony).

There is of course also the awesomeness that is Shadow over Mystara (shameless self promotion), now available on steam!

stream
  • ran88dom99ran88dom99 Registered User regular
    Jimquisition made a great video about fee2play and freeconomics.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...I went Googling for Dungeon Fighter, which I never did get to trying out, and I guess I missed the boat. :/

Man, I was just now thinking, "I should load up DFO, I haven't played in a couple months."

And then found out the NA servers got shut down back in June. What the fuck. :(

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Rusty Hearts, I'd say.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    What the fuck. :(
    Nexon.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I know its ranked in the MMO list at the start of this thread its okay to play, but anyone have experience with Uncharted Waters Online? Worth getting into or is it just a grindfest? Fun?

Buttcleft wrote: »
    I know its ranked in the MMO list at the start of this thread its okay to play, but anyone have experience with Uncharted Waters Online? Worth getting into or is it just a grindfest? Fun?

It is insane. About as complex as Age of Wushu, but with different mechanics and a slower pace. Basically: you're a ship's captain in the 17th century: here's your dinky boat and here's your seat in the school of how-to-play-this-game. The tutorial alone takes 10+ hours. I didn't get hooked, but if you appreciate games that can't be reduced to a theme park then you should try it out.

Aldo wrote: »

It is insane. About as complex as Age of Wushu, but with different mechanics and a slower pace. Basically: you're a ship's captain in the 17th century: here's your dinky boat and here's your seat in the school of how-to-play-this-game. The tutorial alone takes 10+ hours. I didn't get hooked, but if you appreciate games that can't be reduced to a theme park then you should try it out.

If nothing else, its got points in its favor for keeping the download client up to date so you don't have to download 30gigs of incremental patches.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    heenato wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    What the fuck. :(
    Nexon.

Your avatar is appropriate I think.

Edit - For this situation and how fans probably feel.

Henroid on
    Uncharted Waters Online feels like it was made 10 years ago, the interface is terrible, and the quest system isn't very intuitive, but I'll keep with It for a while to see if my opinion changes.

• PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    So was wizardry online ever any decent and/or popular?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I guess it may be worth mentioning that a couple days ago Spiral Knights had a big patch adding pets that assist you in combat, removing the energy cost from elevators or crafting (ie you can explore as much as you want without having to pay money for anything) and tweaking some crafting stuff and adding a harder difficulty.

Overall makes the experience much nicer for f2p players I feel.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I guess it may be worth mentioning that a couple days ago Spiral Knights had a big patch adding pets that assist you in combat, removing the energy cost from elevators or crafting (ie you can explore as much as you want without having to pay money for anything) and tweaking some crafting stuff and adding a harder difficulty.

Overall makes the experience much nicer for f2p players I feel.
    This...this changes everything O_O

*redownloads*

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Hm. Apparently SOE is making Destiny of Velious (the EQ2 expansion before going F2P) free for their new instant 85 heroic characters and allowing people to buy the components of Age of Discovery separately.

Speaking of instant 85s, apparently they can be made on a fresh account.

steam_sig.png
  • ran88dom99ran88dom99 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Warframe. Is good. Makes me want to grind. That is pretty new. Oh right there is huge thread excuse...

ran88dom99 on
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Uncharted Waters Online feels like it was made 10 years ago, the interface is terrible, and the quest system isn't very intuitive, but I'll keep with It for a while to see if my opinion changes.

Couple family members started playing this, and it sounds interesting. The gameguard thing you have to install to be allowed to play it (which I guess is for a buttload of f2p games?) sounds pretty awful though. I'm sure some of the things I read about it are just the internet being the internet, but some things like a keylogger being a legit part of it (is that really accurate?) sound terribly invasive. I get that it has existed for years with no scandals, so it's presumably fine, but I wasn't that interested.

Perhaps someone actually familiar with it could let me know which bits are real and which aren't?

The years of operation would probably be assurance enough if I was actually super excited to try Uncharted Waters, but as it is, ehhh.

Ugghhh, I should probably update this. =/
    Ranlin wrote: »

Couple family members started playing this, and it sounds interesting. The gameguard thing you have to install to be allowed to play it (which I guess is for a buttload of f2p games?) sounds pretty awful though. I'm sure some of the things I read about it are just the internet being the internet, but some things like a keylogger being a legit part of it (is that really accurate?) sound terribly invasive. I get that it has existed for years with no scandals, so it's presumably fine, but I wasn't that interested.

Perhaps someone actually familiar with it could let me know which bits are real and which aren't?

The years of operation would probably be assurance enough if I was actually super excited to try Uncharted Waters, but as it is, ehhh.

I have run games that required Gameguard (or other anti-cheating 3rd party software) for years and never had any troubles. But I am not a fan of this kind of software, because it does function as a kind of keylogger. I assume their base function is to check keystrokes against what you are actually doing in your game (all anti-cheating software should only start after you start the game you want to play and should stop the moment you close the game), but I don't know how much other stuff they can log while they're at it.

I haven't let it stop me from playing games, though.

I gave up on uncharted waters.

I can see a fun game in there, but its buried under a terrible interface and other annoyances that I just couldn't sail through.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I may be biased because I weaseled a bunch of free things out of Rift (I got three month veteran status through coasting on three free month giveaways I won over time, and through "earning" the Storm Legion expansion through Raptr)

but

I feel like Rift has a really nice F2P model, and as soon as my finances stabilize I am gonna spend money on a robo-spider mount.

As a substitute for WoW, Rift is pretty great and scratches basically the exact same itch.

I'm also excited to see where Spiral Knights goes...if I can remember my login...

• Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    Smashmuck Champions is on Steam now (maybe for a while now?). It's...well, I dunno what it is. Some sort of a DOTA with other game types like capture the flag and stuff?

In any case, it's nice. I'm not a fan of the cartoonish aesthetics, but the game itself is not bad.

steam_sig.png
    I was hoping it wouldn't have persistent metaprogression crap. Too bad.

stream
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Ok did I miss this? Dragon's Prophet? I know nothing about the game... but the trailer got me ROFL...

Trailer

*Edit: Ok youze people were talking about it earlier and stuff but there wasn't any link to the trailer so there. :)

Tremblay on
    No, says Steam, that trailer is unavailable in your region.
    I'm really hoping that game has gotten a tonne of rework and polish since the open beta. It was janky as fuck then.

• TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    Then I saw gameplay videos... didn't look metal at all. :( I am disappoint...

• matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    Tremblay wrote: »
    Then I saw gameplay videos... didn't look metal at all. :( I am disappoint...

I just started playing it and I'm having a pretty good time, especially for a f2p. the combat system is fun with its combos, and taming dragons to ride/fight with you is a pretty cool mechanic. It also means you have a flying mount before level 10, which is pretty metal!

"Especially for a f2p" doesn't really carry much weight now that so many full MMOs have gone that route. I need to give DProphet another try to see if they've fixed all the jank.

I've requested @Echo to close this thread, and I have made a thread here to talk about why I closed it.

This discussion has been closed.