As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    Is Wakfu any closer to releasing all of the classes? I checked it out a while ago, because I typically like sandbox MMOs, but all of the classes that interested me had yet to be released, and there was still a lot of engrish (or I guess frenchish), especially in the skill descriptions, which made it hard to figure out whether skills were working correctly or not.

8 classes have been released so far. That includes Xelor, Sacrier, Ecaflip, Enutrof, Sadida and some other odd birds.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for the rogue's ruse. THEN I might actually sit down and try the game.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Right, I guess my conclusion re: Wakfu is the same. It's a game I want to like, but the game won't let me. Of course: it's in beta.

• RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Well, it's been a number of months since I played. However, last time I played as soon as I got out of the tutorial, I was directed to an NPC who gave me a book, and then quizzed me on its contents. The book was half in french. However, most of the NPC text was pretty decent, although there were still many skills mistranslated/untranslated/poorly translated. I guess that's why it's a beta, although it seems weird to release content for testing, when I am unable to verify if the content is working correctly or not because I can't read it. Then again, it's a F2P MMO so I'm not sure what I'm expecting.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    Right, I guess my conclusion re: Wakfu is the same. It's a game I want to like, but the game won't let me. Of course: it's in beta.
    Yeah, my impression also. I'll keep trying, though I think my choice of class isn't helping. I swear, most of Ecaflips' skills are just plain shit.

edited September 2011
    Riale wrote:
    Well, it's been a number of months since I played. However, last time I played as soon as I got out of the tutorial, I was directed to an NPC who gave me a book, and then quizzed me on its contents. The book was half in french. However, most of the NPC text was pretty decent, although there were still many skills mistranslated/untranslated/poorly translated. I guess that's why it's a beta, although it seems weird to release content for testing, when I am unable to verify if the content is working correctly or not because I can't read it. Then again, it's a F2P MMO so I'm not sure what I'm expecting.
    Right yeah, that's just some translation. Easy as pie, because the publisher and the developer are under the same roof*. My problem is that that book is still there, but after you answer his questions correctly all you get a is craft skill, but no pointers on how to get materials or money or anything. You're required to team up with other players and come up with your own adventure until you have grinded enough levels to try your hands at an instance.

Instances you can already enter at lev1 without any warning, after which you get pecked to death by flocks of colorful birds.

I mean, it's an amazing sandbox, but without any help new players will just wander around for a while, go "golly, this sure looks pretty" and after a day "right uhm, guess I'll go and do something else".

*As opposed to developers selling their product to publishers, which means it can often take years to push get some grammar errors fixed
    Glal wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    Yeah, my impression also. I'll keep trying, though I think my choice of class isn't helping. I swear, most of Ecaflips' skills are just plain shit.
    Don't worry, Sacrier's are the same. I need to get my HP super low to build enough angrrr to make skills do more than base damage. Once my HP is low I'm a push-over, though. -_- Ecaflip depends too much on luck. The forums are convinced Iop is the only decent class. Mostly because he can just punch birds in the face without having to worry about other stuff.

Aldo on
    It seems like a game that would be really fun to play with a friend sitting in the same room, since it would make combat a lot more tactical. Solo, not sure what to make of it yet. The lack of quests and getting all your skills early on, then merely leveling them, seems like it would get dull after a while due to the lack of feeling of progression.

Progression doesn't come from leveling a skill once, but 10x or 20x. So everything is relatively slow. Instead of one friend you should try and get 4 or 5 together, so you can take on large packs of mobs at a time.

Of course, this is not explained to you at all. There's no LFG channel or an easy option to find equal level players either.

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    So I tried a bunch of shit recently.

Scarlet Legacy was okay. Bounty Hounds Online is another free MMO that practically plays itself if you can somehow get through the really awkward interface. Prius Online was interesting for about three hours. The grind in that one is apparently brutal. Requiem hasn't changed whatsoever. It's still a burning pile of severed dicks and assholes. Rappelz is a lot like standing in the smoke coming off of that pile. Going from level five to level eight in Runes of Magic took me so long that I would have been level fifteen in any other MMO. ARGO Online wasn't offensive anymore, just really uninteresting. TwelveSky2... remember that disgusting pile I mentioned? It's still burning and you may as well just throw yourself into the flames.

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Didn't found its own thread (in case there is one) so in there is any European interested they are giving away keys for the European beta of Vindictus:

http://www.facebook.com/VindictusEurope?sk=app_204457519615544&app_data=get-beta-key

HiT BiT wrote:
    Didn't found its own thread (in case there is one) so in there is any European interested they are giving away keys for the European beta of Vindictus:

http://www.facebook.com/VindictusEurope?sk=app_204457519615544&app_data=get-beta-key

!!!

Yes thank you :D

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    I was about to mention that Aldo might enjoy this, but then it struck me that I had forgotten where he lived. In Europe? In Australia? Mordor? Lesbian Fantasy Land? I don't know.

... i'd really like to visit lesbian fantasy land. :(

Oh heck yes. *grabs Vindictus key*

I was about to mention that Aldo might enjoy this, but then it struck me that I had forgotten where he lived. In Europe? In Australia? Mordor? Lesbian Fantasy Land? I don't know.

... i'd really like to visit lesbian fantasy land. :(
    In the fair land of clogs, windmills and weed.

Sounds like my kind of place. Not so sure about the clogs, though. That word always reminded me of some kind of goblin creature.

I'm playing Prius Online again, because I have nothing better to do and I want to punish myself for feeding so badly with Kennen IN A BOT GAME.

adfgsdfhy

I'm surprised at the level of visual quality and polish on a lot of these free MMOs. The gameplay may not be up to snuff, but a lot of these things look really good.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Hunter Blade is about to go open beta, or has, I dunno I'm waiting for unmetered mirror for the download before I try it. Anyway, it appears to be a hyper blatant Chinese monster hunter clone. Like "holy shit, that is some blatant ass ripoffery, how did they get awa- oh, china"

Could be interesting.

-SPI- on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Monster Hunter you say? With pad support this could be very interesting. Will try.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    -SPI- wrote:
    Hunter Blade is about to go open beta, or has, I dunno I'm waiting for unmetered mirror for the download before I try it. Anyway, it appears to be a hyper blatant Chinese monster hunter clone. Like "holy shit, that is some blatant ass ripoffery, how did they get awa- oh, china"

Could be interesting.
    Cheers.

It looks like crap. Lemme know if it plays better than it looks from that PvP vid.

Tangent: I have no idea why publishers would put vids on YouTube that are only viewable in 240 resolution. I mean, it's free to upload 720 and that stuff looks way nicer.

So registration for Hunter Blade requires that you sign up for their spam before they let you even finish making an account. Those check boxes that tend to denote optional shit for you to choose? Not optional.

Downloading the client from their site is like trying to suck a bowling ball through a straw. It's clocking in at a blazing fast 200 kb/s.

From what I've heard, the game is essentially a complete fucking mess. I look forward to tormenting myself with this nonsense later.

Dragon Nest SEA just got a big patch said to fix this long list of bugs...

"[Bug Fixes]
    - Gibberish text
    - Disappearing text
    "

Keep fighting the good fight, Cherry Credits.

edited September 2011
    Apparently Hunter Blade has some sort of instance-invading anytime pvp. Should be fun.

Another bonus: The game's default install path puts it in a directory that prevents many people from being able to connect to the beta server (which I'm guessing is somewhere in Europe), or even launch the game.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    Puzzle Pirates is now on Steam. It gives you a Pirate Badge and a Magic Amulet that turns you into a skeleton. There's also 220 Steam achievements for Team OCD.

edited September 2011
    Hunter Blade is pretty much what you'd expect. The graphics don't look absolutely horrible in the wider spectrum of gaming, but PC gamers probably expect more than PS2 era textures and environments. I liked the water effects, though, and having Monster Hunter on my flat-screen monitor with booming audio is a nice experience. The creatures you're hunting down behave only somewhat realistically, but it's better than nothing and come on, it's a fucking MMO. They're usually chilling out, munching on some stuff, and many of them will run away from you or move over next to the younger members of their pack if you approach. Others will end you.

The interface is hideous and I can't find a way to move shit around. Most of the text is difficult to read. The Engrish is understandable for the most part, but they use a black font that's super thin and it makes me have to squint and move closer to see what the fuck I'm supposed to do. Auto-routing is available, as you may expect. There's tons of quests and weapons and vendors and shit, which makes sense given the game's obvious, ummm, "inspiration".

On the right side of the screen is a little pull-out menu with numerous tabs that display information about your active quests, your available combos with whatever weapon you've chosen, and what materials you need to collect in order to upgrade your current equipment. I liked that last one. Unfortunately, it tells me that I need Wyvern parts to upgrade my thin blade and I'm fairly certain that hunting down one of those at this level is going to result in a brutal rectal exam by a dinosaur that isn't actually a doctor.

I like the music. It's fairly whimsical and relaxing in that Monster Hunter/pseudo-Chrono Cross kind of way, only not nearly as good as you're probably imagining. It's not Xenoblade, but it's not The Adventures of Rad Gravity, either. The voices of NPCs sometimes come out of nowhere and they sound fairly ridiculous. Their sporadic one-liners are probably a bug. I think I heard a female voice coming out of a male character at one point, as well.

Combat-wise, you're looking at Monster Hunter. Shock and fucking surprise, I know! It's a little bit clunky, though, and not in the usual MH style of wonkiness, either. Things were close enough to feel familiar, which is a theme that runs throughout the veins of Hunter Blade, but there was still a bit too much of a delay between attack/dodging or simply moving/dodging that made some of the boss creatures more difficult than they needed to be. You get used to it after a while, but you can also get used to the sound of a train storming right by your house multiple times every single day; that doesn't make it a good thing.

All in all, I'd say the actual game experience was better than I had imagined, but dealing with account set-up and installation was a pain in the ass. These guys seem like a fairly shady company for a whole lot of reasons. At this point, if you're interested at all, you may as well whip together a new eMail account and go for it. Once you're through with the annoying tutorial, and the fact that the game doesn't use full screen by default(maybe that's just my own peeve), you'll be exposed to what is essentially a lower grade version of Monster Hunter Frontier that still manages to have enough spit and shine on it to not be the worst game you've ever played.

That's about it.

Liquid Ghost on
    Thanks chief, will update the entry accordingly.

I couldn't get it to launch. :<

stream
    RIP

Fairy Story
    A very cute game with cute graphics and a cute little story about a magical fairytale world where kids save the day. Actual gameplay appears to be the regular grinding, though. Will have to look into this more.

FaitH
    No idea what the point behind this game is, from their site: FaitH is a team-based Massively Multiplayer Game. Lead your Kingdom to Religious victory by kidnaping Children of Targar and wreaking Chaos! across the Aloradius! Looks very dated to boot. Best to avoid

Fantasy Earth Zero
    This Japanese MMO has already been released many years ago in Japan. Recently it has been released to the rest of the world. The graphics and feel of the game are dated and the gameplay is not up to par with other titles in
    the same pvp genre. Small hitboxes, a lack of interesting skills and low level players being completely useless make this a title you might as well skip.
    (additional info: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/03/fantasy-earth-zero-shutting-down-on-march-24th/)

Fung Wan Online
    Western version evaporated from the internet, Malaysian version still has a website, but it does not seem to be kosher. Best to avoid.

Ghost Online
    Sidescrolling 2D fast paced grind MMO from Korea. If you dig Maple Story you probably dig this as well. For everyone else: best to protect your sanity.

Gods of Time
    Final Fantasy-like battles, looks ugly, you can try it out without registering

MOVED

from RPG to MUD
    Fallen Sword
    In-browser fantasy RPG with tons of levels to obtain. Actual game is played on a 100x100px screen with a topdown view where you move from square to square. Every square might hold stuff for you to examine or fight with. Fighting is done by selecting "fight" and watch the numbers tick down for a few seconds. It's pretty much a MUD with rudimentary graphics.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote:

Could be interesting.

Ohhh this is the game my friend was talking about. He called it "Monster Hunter: Chinese plagerism edition" and sent me a screen shot of a hunter that looked suspiciously like Kratos from God of War but shittier.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    While on the subject of shittiness: this game isn't even out yet and it already looks dated.

Age of Wulin opened pre-registration for Closed Beta, by the way.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    While on the subject of shittiness: this game isn't even out yet and it already looks dated.

I did get a great laugh out of watching the video. The best part is when the character uses a pull skill and the creature it's fighting slides across the landscape.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Star Trek's F2P scheme. Pretty reasonable I think.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    That's pretty good, actually. Nothing that I can really say NEEDS to be free. I could live with smaller inventory and character slots. Don't quite know what some of the things are, but I doubt they're that important. At least it's not like what City of heroes is doing, and making an entire expansion pay only, and not letting free players join supergroups.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    They must have forgot something because, uh, I'm not seeing much of a reason to subscribe, at all. Unless you want to make foundry content.

Like, maybe they're not telling you f2p chooses a class and then gets assigned the skills while subcribers get to freely build characters like they do now.

checking out the faq I saw this.
    Q: If I decide to downgrade from Gold to Silver, what happens to all my stuff?
    Characters will remain when switching from Gold to Silver. However, players will not be able to play them until either they re-upgrade to Gold or convert them individually into Silver characters in-game. The exact conversion process is still being determined. Please note that we never delete character data. If a Gold Member cancels his or her subscription and decides to restart it at a later date, all of that Member's characters and associated items will be intact.

So it looks like there'll be something like that, but they're not sure what yet.

Docshifty wrote:
    They must have forgot something because, uh, I'm not seeing much of a reason to subscribe, at all. Unless you want to make foundry content.

Like, maybe they're not telling you f2p chooses a class and then gets assigned the skills while subcribers get to freely build characters like they do now.

checking out the faq I saw this.
    Q: If I decide to downgrade from Gold to Silver, what happens to all my stuff?
    Characters will remain when switching from Gold to Silver. However, players will not be able to play them until either they re-upgrade to Gold or convert them individually into Silver characters in-game. The exact conversion process is still being determined. Please note that we never delete character data. If a Gold Member cancels his or her subscription and decides to restart it at a later date, all of that Member's characters and associated items will be intact.

So it looks like there'll be something like that, but they're not sure what yet.
    That could just as well relate to the inventory space etc.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Truth be told, inventory space is almost not even an issue in STO. Considering if your inventory is full, you can open up the replicator right there and sell anything you don't need, its almost silly to put a limit on it for silver players. Unless they make the replicator gold only, which would be annoying as hell for relief missions.

I'm guessing that's just there to save on server space- I imagine inventory is the largest portion of your online character storage-wise.

edited September 2011
    So, does anyone remember that 360/PS3 game Eternal Sonata?

Well check this out: http://corp.gamania.com/products/tiaraconcerto/en/index.htm

I dont think the style similarities are coincidence, but i'm not entirely sure. They look far too alike for it to be mere chance. Anyways, i don't believe we have it listed.

EDIT: Ok these Gamania guys are bizarre, not sure how they have so many big JP licenses

Remember Langrisser series, (Langrisser V ect.): http://corp.gamania.com/products/langrisserschwarz/en/index1.htm Enter, Langrisser Schwarz

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • lizbotlizbot Registered User regular
    The fact that I get a loading screen each time I navigate to a new page? Generates so much loathing.

fwp.png
    edited September 2011
    Heres a preview a found on the net for all of their games that are up and coming. Looks like its a pretty new company that is trying to break into the western market.

http://youtu.be/LB2rX_W4tV0

EDIT:

Heres one for Langrisser: http://youtu.be/Ydks9xLhZU0 It is indeed the same Langrisser series from ages ago. It looks uhh....very japanese I guess.

Heres another that some folks may find a bit interesting: http://youtu.be/TiLJeTnjJxI not much of a gameplay video, but its something. It seems they have retained (in some manner.) the core gameplay mechanic of the original Langrisser, which was a strategy game where you had a hero or heroes and many NPC troops. It seems this game has a machanic by the looks of it that includes commanding NPC's with your character. That is, at least, a pretty unique looking idea. Not sure how well it goes in practice until the game comes about.

Core Blaze is another one of their games mentioned, IGN has a gameplay video of it here: http://youtu.be/QZUBEhFiNJY now this. This looks like a good game. The freedom of movement and action oriented combat looks very nice, not to mention it seems to have above average graphics and lighting effects and real time cloth/clothing movement physics.

Elimination on
    edited September 2011
    Oh geez, all their sites load like crap.

Right I'm adding the ones to my database they've announced and I guess we'll just wait and see which ones will actually get a release. If that ever happens I'll put them in the thread.

Aldo on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    Dunno if this is old news already but Planetside 2 is going to be F2P.

This discussion has been closed.