As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    RIP:
    Legendary Voyage
    Small indie MMO. It's 2D and looks ugly. The game focuses on discovery. There's all sorts of hidden stuff and when you find it then that makes you awesome.

ADDED:
    Lucent Heart
    A game that assures us that "there's more to Lucent Heart than Love!" and describes one of their features as "Participate in PvP during Weddings". So the game's a standard Asian grind MMO, but with the added benefits of bludgeoning your in-laws to pulp during the ceremony.

ADDED TO FILE:
    Everything found on this page: http://corp.gamania.com/70.html

Hmm have some odd PC problem with weird lines running through my screen. Will update the rest later.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Been playing that re-release of Hellgate London. It's actually pretty fun, though graphically they raped the game. It looks nowhere near as pretty as the original Hellgate London, which is very sad. I dont know why they didn't include the highly scaleable graphics of the original and let those of us with the hardware to make it pretty do so. Otherwise it is definitely hellgate london, and is still a lot of fun imo. I do like that their cash shop is not very restrictive, Hellgate has a lot of crafting and they didnt muck with that much, or the tons of loot you can get in it (Diablo style.) so all the important/fun aspects are still there. Though to get the extra content after a certain point in the game you do have to buy a ticket, but its only $4 and its permanent and a lot of content.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    "Participate in PvP during Weddings". So the game's a standard Asian grind MMO, but with the added benefits of bludgeoning your in-laws to pulp during the ceremony.
    If it allows people not involved in the wedding to just come in and start beating people up, then it would lead to quite some amazing griefing or something like that.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    "Participate in PvP during Weddings". So the game's a standard Asian grind MMO, but with the added benefits of bludgeoning your in-laws to pulp during the ceremony.
    If it allows people not involved in the wedding to just come in and start beating people up, then it would lead to quite some amazing griefing or something like that.
    Can it be griefing if it's a feature? *mindblown*

RIP
    Altis Gates
    A fantasy 2D MMORPG without any interesting features. There's 2 bases classes that you can specialize further in to end up in one of the 16 subclasses and there's pets that fight for you.

Tried and uninstalled Eudemons from 91.com

Eudemons Online
    Asian grind MMO with 3D isometric view. It looks ugly, it hardly registers your input, it doesn't explain much of anything and it's such a boring grind that you get the first few levels for free by just standing still in town. No really, I was just standing there and all of a sudden my EXP literally started spewing flames and I gained 6 levels.

you can gain XP by standing in town? Lulz. Interesting take on the rest system.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    you can gain XP by standing in town? Lulz. Interesting take on the rest system.

Not sure it's a rest system as much as it's a "oh hey this guy has been online for 15 minutes, he's probably bored so lets give him a few levels without explaining what's going on.

I also installed and promptly uninstalled War of Angels, a game I apparently played before for 2 levels! It didn't leave an impression then and I remember now what a boring piece of shit it was. The 4th quest in sends you to grind mobs ~3 minutes away from the quest giver, the 5th quest to mobs ~5 minutes away... I didn't see much improvement and I only had 1 skill anyway.

I'm gonna try out this hunter blade for myself...im too curious about it not too.

• Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Rusty Hearts just entered Open Beta for anyone interested.

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Regarding Glitch, from their twitter account: "History in the making! Glitch is closed as we reset players for the last time. Another test next week and soon: open forever!"

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Vindictus Europe closed beta key redeeming is now open, but just until 19th September.
    If any euroPeAn wants to try it but couldn't get a key just send me a PM.

In as Alds.

First game I've ever played with an Xbox Controller. Camera is so weird to move w/o mouse.

edited June 2012
    Hello,

Your account, [redacted], has been suspended for logging in from a banned region or an open proxy.

For specific details regarding this suspension, please contact Perfect World Entertainment's Customer Service Group via the ticketing system that can be found here: http://support.perfectworld.com

The Terms of Service in its entirety can be referenced here: http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

PWE Customer Service Team
    http://support.perfectworld.com
    This email was sent to:

This email was sent by: Perfect World Entertainment, Inc.
    1001 E. Hillsdale Blvd , Suite 800 Foster City, CA 94404 United States

The fuck?

Aldo on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Aldo wrote:
    Hello,

Your account, [redacted], has been suspended for logging in from a banned region or an open proxy.

For specific details regarding this suspension, please contact Perfect World Entertainment's Customer Service Group via the ticketing system that can be found here: http://support.perfectworld.com

The Terms of Service in its entirety can be referenced here: http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

PWE Customer Service Team
    http://support.perfectworld.com
    This email was sent to: aldodeleeuw@gmail.com

This email was sent by: Perfect World Entertainment, Inc.
    1001 E. Hillsdale Blvd , Suite 800 Foster City, CA 94404 United States

The fuck?

[president madagascar]
    SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.
    [/president madagascar]

er, I mean, change all your passwords and shit. because this probably means someone got ahold of it and was logging in through a proxy to avoid having their own accounts banned.

EDIT:
    Yup. Change your passwords. Letting somebody else log into your accounts is technically a breach of their ToS, though I'm not sure how they found out; I know several people who share their accounts with distant friends.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    Hmm, can't log into Aeria either "Sorry. The account has been blocked due to violation of our terms of service."

Not good.

• Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    It seems like the LEGO MMO has gone F2P as well: http://universe.lego.com/en-us/thegame/gettingstarted/freetoplay.aspx
    No idea what it like, but I never heard much about that game at all to be honest since it got released. It might be worth checking out though now it's gone F2P.

edited September 2011
    Added

Drakensang Online
    Based on the single player RPG which was based on the German table top game Das Schwarze Auge. This is in-browser and dumbed down the RPG aspects. There's some rumors floating around about the cash shop being a scam, but I don't have any definitive data.

Crystal Saga
    Cutesy in-browser grind MMO with automated grinding. You can select how long your char will be automatically doing shit with a special quest/cash shop item. There are no other features worth mentioning

--

I dunno what to make of Lego Universe going F2P, Sorcha, if you're going to try it out, please let me know what you think about it.

Aldo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I tried out the beta. I can see it being fun for kids (or parents playing with their kids), but it felt very shallow.
    As far as kid MMOs go I'd rather pick Wizard 101.

Aldo, I might have a look at it at a later stage, I'm a bit too busy at the moment for a new MMO. From asking around a bit on other sites it isn't supposed to be that good though unfortunately. If I do end up having a look at it, I'll post my thoughts on it.

Glal: Wizard 101 is indeed great for kids, and very safe as well with their chat system. My 11 year old daughter loves it.

And of course no replies about my banned accounts. :F

edited September 2011
    Ah
    Dear _____,

Service has been restored to the _____ account assigned to this e-mail address as of 2011-09-19 11:30.

Your account was banned because it may have been compromised by Gold Sellers.
    Our records show that it was accessed from outside its country of origin,
    leading us to believe its security was breached. We have now unbanned your
    account, but we require that you change your password and that you use a brand
    new password that you've never used before, to ensure that your account is
    safe. If you have questions about the security of your account, or why/how it
    may have been compromised by Gold Sellers, please see this important forum
    thread:

http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1274817

If, upon logging back in to your account, you notice that any of your AP is
    missing, please reply back to this ticket so that we can help you resolve the
    issue as quickly as possible.

Please don't forget to use a brand new password that you've never used
    before!!!

Thank you,

Team Aeria

*e: literally half the threads on Aeria's forums are about hacked accounts. Something tells me someone's security wasn't as awesome as it should be.

Aldo on
    Ugh Aldo, that sucks :(
    Thanks for sharing that information though. I have a few Aeria accounts as well, I think I'm going to change some passwords tonight...

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/news/archive.vm?id=63

September 19, 2011 – Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) today announced a new free-to-play business model for its popular massively multiplayer online (MMO) game DC Universe Online (DCUO) — where players have the freedom to become legendary fighting alongside DC Comics icons like Superman, Batman and The Jokerin an ever-evolving online action adventure that has already logged more than 42 million hours of super-powered gameplay action by players since its launch earlier this year.

Beginning late October, players will be able to download and access DCUO for free on both the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC. As part of this transition, SOE is introducing three new access levels to the game: Free, Premium and Legendary. All three levels will provide access to open world gameplay and missions, general game updates and fixes to the game, with each level offering different game options and benefits.

citizen059 wrote:
    http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/news/archive.vm?id=63

September 19, 2011 – Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) today announced a new free-to-play business model for its popular massively multiplayer online (MMO) game DC Universe Online (DCUO) — where players have the freedom to become legendary fighting alongside DC Comics icons like Superman, Batman and The Jokerin an ever-evolving online action adventure that has already logged more than 42 million hours of super-powered gameplay action by players since its launch earlier this year.

Beginning late October, players will be able to download and access DCUO for free on both the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC. As part of this transition, SOE is introducing three new access levels to the game: Free, Premium and Legendary. All three levels will provide access to open world gameplay and missions, general game updates and fixes to the game, with each level offering different game options and benefits.

Check. Forgot to add it because I'm tired. For more info and a short interview: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/19/massively-exclusive-soes-john-smedley-reveals-f2p-model-for-dc/

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    Now I might actually play DCUO, as I simply wasn't going to spend a single cent on it until I had some convenient way to try the thing out.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    DCUO isn't terrible, but it's not great either. CO does almost everything better from costumes to power selection and it's already f2p.

None of the storylines I went through Grodd, Queen & Raven took themselves seriously, same as CO, and other than having DC characters felt like I was playing inferior product. Maybe it gets better at higher levels.

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    I see. I eventually felt like Champions Online was complete trash for the most part, so that doesn't bode well for my future with DCUO.

Meh. I might try it for a couple of hours, then probably uninstall the thing. I doubt it's going to stick around for years upon years, anyway.

edited September 2011
    DCUO was pretty fun in closed beta, but absolutely not a game I would pay to play. Champions Online was more interesting, but both games didn't impress me enough to drop lotro for.

anyway, with all these big titles going Freemium I'm getting a bit worried about my free MMO list. If this shit catches on every online game will be freemium and I'd get completely lost trying to compare Triple A Title by Biggest Gaming Company In The World to Korean Grindfest #3123 by A Start-Up In A Condo In Seoul on the basic premise that "both cost just as much to try out".

*e: I came here to post that
    Your account was banned due to having logged in from a known fraudulent network. If this was not intended please have the password changed as soon as possible. The account is now available for access and the password can be changed on the website via the link below. https://register.perfectworld.com/account/forgotid
    from Perfect World. So that means I have all my accounts back.

Aldo on
    Good to hear you have your account back :)

I have the feeling that in 10 years time (if not sooner) the standard WoW subscription model for MMOs won't exist at all any more. MMOs will either be F2P or a combination of both like in LOTRO, where a monthly sub gets some added benefits and possibly some cash shop points each month.

I don't know if anyyone here tried Prius, but it's yet another f2P MMORPG that recently started up. Combat is the same as usual, but every character gets an anima (A little girl that follows you around and that you can spec for damage, protection or healing with her own skill points) and a Gigas (which is a giant shape you can shift in to temporarily. What is supposed to set it apart is that it's story driven with cut scenes, trying to mix MMORPG combat with JRPG storytelling.
    Unfortunately the translation is rather bad and so the story line doesn't come out well.
    Despite that I did actually have fun with it, but I hate any form of PvP/Pking so I stopped playing before level 25 when your PvP flag gets turned on.
    There were two servers with the same PvP rules (PK allowed but heavy penalised) which are merging this week, and a new purely PvE server will open.
    At the moment I'm playing WoW again (my family dragged me back in) but I can see myself going back to Prius, despite the Engrish.

Avoid if you don't like standard MMORPG combat, cutesy little girls following you, or want to have constant world PvP. It didn't seem to grindy though and there seemed to be a lot of quests, at least below level 25. (50 is max AFAIK)

http://prius.gpotato.com/

Nah, the subscription model will exist, but I imagine it'll be a hybrid of current trends. So, tiered subscriptions, smaller MMOs will cost less than $15/mo, subscriptions to groups of MMOs rather than just one at a time, etc. It's not that people aren't willing to pay a subscription any more*, they're just not willing to pay more than one at a time, so only the big boys can afford to force it.
    There are plenty of MMOs I'd be happy to subscribe to for, say, $5/mo. I'll take 3 smaller MMOs at a time over a single Big Boy any day.

*referring to people who used to subscribe, as opposed to those that never did in the first place. They are not the reason the model is declining as they've never been part of it

Ramius has changed post sizes to roughly 8k characters, meaning that I cannot edit a single post of this thread and would need at least two pages worth of posts to fit the whole OP. This is simply unworkable and with the way the F2P market is booming I cannot continue to use the PA forums for this little hobby of mine. I'm busy and tired at the moment and absolutely not in the mood to invest in starting a proper website.

So for the time being I will not update the OP with new posts, but will instead share all news and updates in posts, just like you guys do. Once I manage to get on a bit of dry ground again with my life I will rehost the list on an off-site host as a simple file. I don't want to pick a date for this, because I am horrible.

It is still my intention to make a proper website out of this shit some time, with functional sort and search tools and ways to share your (yes that includes every random dork on the interwebs) opinions on individual games.

This list never quite fitted in with PA forums, as much as we like sharing information, a list of this size is simply too big for a forum. Even with the old post size limitations I was constantly running into the limitations of the forums.

--

So to start off this new phase: I just installed and uninstalled Prius Online. This is my updated entry now:

Prius Online
    Not the car. Clunky and slow grind MMO with a clumsy story attached full of bad voice acting and Engrish.

There's also a new contestant in the grind MMO segment: http://luvinia.outspark.com/

If the problem is hosting the list, rather than maintaining it (sounds like both at the moment), I imagine Dropbox would be an ideal place for it. You get 2 gigs of storage and you just update your local copy to make changes to the online one.
    Either that or Google Docs.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Aeria now has Battlefield heroes. Which as I type it still makes no sense to me. But it does make me hope EA just unloads WAR onto them or another f2p outfit.

I'd totally come back to WAR if it were F2P. If they put in gear limits, well, I could never be bothered to grind RR for gear anyway (dumbest. Design. Ever), I lose nothing.

• TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    Honestly right now I'm playing WAR until my 14 day pass expirea and may continue with the unlimited trial since I believe that T1 is the best part of WAR. Hopefully Wrath of Heroes will go live soon as I've been enjoying that beta as well.

Yea @Glal, I think I'm going with Google Docs first. I mean, I already have a big database file anyway, should be easy to cram that in there.

Thanks @-SPI- I should really update that entry.

@Tyberius your avatar is of an anime chick in bondage gear. I'm not sure wtf is wrong with you, but I don't use my porn folder as avatar material and it has been a great success.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Interesting. While Sword of the new world(aka Sword 2) run by gamersfirst has the annoying 4 character limit before having to buy new barracks slots it turns out that Granado Espada run by IAHgames for the SEA region goes up to 9. I have no idea if it's IP blocked for outside (since I'm in aus so it's my region for reals)

Apart from that it's the same game (although I think it has different voice acting, with hilariously awful fake eurotrash accents)

OK. Pet peeve:

The problem with Granado Espada is the following: It's a complete clusterfuck of take-overs, different localized English versions, a complete lack of interest in moving the game forwards on the developer's part and a general disinterest on anyone's part to show the good parts of the game.

What this game needs is a complete start-over with all new quests, a business plan for the cash shop and some proper press coverage.

The game is so unique in setting and gameplay. You play as a European family moving to the New World where you meet new characters you can adopt and fight against enemies. The interesting bit is that you're not moving to the new world as one of the first settlers, but you arrive there after whole cities have been built. This gives the game a unique visual style with baroque buildings and fashion, outlandish tribal stuff in the wilds and all sorts of demonic creatures and dungeons.

Gameplay is simply unique: you don't play as one character with two pets, you play as three fullblown characters you can swap in and out with everyone else in your family (at least, in the original game) allowing you to change your role in groups without having to roll new characters. You have direct control over one character, but you also maintain control over your other two character's actions (either fully manual or automated*). This allows you to park your characters somewhere in the middle of a room and kill everything that approaches, but with more careful playing you can also progress to more difficult areas where positioning, CC and quick gameplay become important. In the IAH version you will end up managing inventories of 9 characters at once, all of them needing loot ranging from common to epixx and you will always be tinkering with your group set-up. Especially what with the 20+ different characters you can adopt and/or start with.

Really, this game deserved a better fate than it has now. This might have just been the game that paved the way for games like Atlantica (also combining endless min/maxing with stunning visuals), but I very much doubt its profitability now.

*ie: you can instruct your healer to heal everything falling under a % threshold of HP, or your melee fighter not to move away from the other two characters. Every character also has multiple stances with different benefits and weaknesses. Your healer can deal some damage if the need arises, your musketeer can fire standing up (easy to move around, but lower damage) or kneeling (yep: tough to move around, higher damage). I mean, these stances are different for all characters, making no two melee types the same, even if they're both capable of carrying a shield in battle.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Wow. That sounds...really cool Shame it sounds mismanaged.

M A G I K A Z A M
This discussion has been closed.