As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conan the Librarian

jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been thinking about reading some Conan stories but, now that I have the time, I find myself lost as to where to begin. Some quick googling gives me plenty of lists, but those lists seem to be in different orders depending on when they were released and what versions of the stories you're looking at. Are there any Conan book type experts out there that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

jedikuonji on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    I would just like you to know that in my head you made this thread just so you could reference UHF.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    BerserkisBerserkis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conan_Chronicles,_1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conan_Chronicles,_2

find these 2 books - it does not matter what order the stories are read in - each story stands on its own. All of which are enjoyable reads (Red Nails and Black Stranger are my personal favourites)

There are other book collections for Conan out there as well but just make sure they contain the original stories not the ones that are tweaked by other authors.

Berserkis on
  • Options
    jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Awesome, thank you.

Any reference to UHF is coincedental and has nothing to do with me having watched the movie again recently.

jedikuonji on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you like Conan, you may also like the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories by fritz leiber.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    finralfinral Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I found this and this to be superior collections.

finral on
  • Options
    randerson84randerson84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    *spatula city* :whistle:

spool32 on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    finral wrote: »

I agree with this. The stories were never meant to be read in chronological order as they occur in Conan's life, and Robert E. Howard confirms this in these collections. This collection is fantastic.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    finral wrote: »

I agree with this. The stories were never meant to be read in chronological order as they occur in Conan's life, and Robert E. Howard confirms this in these collections. This collection is fantastic.

I can third this sentiment. Those collections also have totally awesome illustrations done by various people throughout. The Conan stories are so good and so much better than the movies. This thread just reminds me I need to get the rest of Howard's stuff. I'm curious to see his version of Arthurian Legend.

Continental_Op on
    XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Depending on where you live, the Conan stories may be out of copyright and may be available as free ebooks. I know that is the case for Australia at least. You can check out the Gutenberg site to find this out

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!