As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [STEAM] Thread: Sale is over, now you have to wait another 15 years to buy Quake

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2011
    You know what's depressing?

House-sitting for your parents, and wondering if their PC can even run any games you own on Steam.

No, that's not depressing. Depressing is when you check out the specs and realize that your dad has a better gaming PC than you.

HE DOESN'T EVEN PLAY VIDEO GAMES. AT ALL. And no, he's not an artist or video editor or anything that demands a powerful PC.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MotokiMotoki Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Huzzah, Old World Blues for $5! I knew waiting would pay off.

AFAIK, the Steam Cloud for New Vegas is broken. Mine has been enabled since it was installed but it still says 0 bytes used of 100MB available for it on the Steam cloud in the game properties.

You can, however, set it up to upload saves to a drop box account via GameSave Manager which is what I've done and that works well for New Vegas and a slew of other games without Steam Cloud support.

Motoki on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    In the case of New Vegas, I'd have to only restart the first 60-90 minutes of my character. Not too bad.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    People who defend the crappy Bioware DLC scheme confuse me. No, I do not want to have to buy special funbux and hunt down different installers for my DLC. Its stupid, archaic and straight out of the floppy era of inconvenience. This is not a good or acceptable scheme.

As much flak as Blizzard is getting for D3 Bioware isn't much better. While you can play the base game without an internet connection if you add any DLC and then save your game you will need to connect to the net to authorize every time before you play. A while back my Dragon Age Origins got Alzheimers and 'forgot' I owned all the DLC and wouldn't authorize them then I couldn't load my saves because of course they were dependent on the DLC being available.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, if we're gonna be picky, Steam pretty much demands you to be online to play anything. Offline only works if you know that the internet is going out in advance. We forgot when ours was going to be cut off during a move, and it was about a week before the move. So we basically had no Steam the whole week.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Huh? I lose internet and steam works fine. as long as you've flipped it into offline mode at some point in the past, I've never had a problem. (Well, outside of some games having problems. Like Singularity oddly having microstuttering in offline mode. Which I never figured out.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    So how do I access this New Vegas DLC I just bought? The DLC tab under Properties says I do indeed own all three. However when I open the game, under Data Files, I see no such options to enable the DLC.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    I just started the game and got the radio signals for the DLCs right off the bat.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I just started the game and got the radio signals for the DLCs right off the bat.

Do you have to start a brand new game or

Because I loaded up my near-endgame save and got nothing.

Edit: Thar we go. Had to validate game files and it turns out a 1.4GB file had to be re-downloaded for some reason. D:

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Well, if we're gonna be picky, Steam pretty much demands you to be online to play anything. Offline only works if you know that the internet is going out in advance. We forgot when ours was going to be cut off during a move, and it was about a week before the move. So we basically had no Steam the whole week.

In the past, offline mode would hang on attempting to connect when the internet was down, but unplugging the ethernet cable from the computer let it hop right to it. Not sure if this always worked or just came after one of the various fixes, but I didn't think to try it back when I had no access to Steam games because I didn't have internet for six months after a move. D:

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Triple B wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Do you have to start a brand new game or

Because I loaded up my near-endgame save and got nothing.

Edit: Thar we go. Had to validate game files and it turns out a 1.4GB file had to be re-downloaded for some reason. D:

Maybe you had mods?

I'm kind of on the fence about starting FO:NV again or finishing off my third run of Vampire.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    *huff huff huff* I heard someone say something about D3 and ran here as fast as I could! Now, to commit a Big Block Of Text Atrocity!

... Meh. If anyone actually cares or is concerned, the D3 thread has been over the pertinent details at length. Bring popcorn, it's a bumpy ride.
    People who defend the crappy Bioware DLC scheme confuse me. No, I do not want to have to buy special funbux and hunt down different installers for my DLC. Its stupid, archaic and straight out of the floppy era of inconvenience. This is not a good or acceptable scheme.

Amen, Bioware is the only PC based company I've tolerated this shit from, but I really wish they'd cut it out, and either put their DLC on Steam (unlikely to happen) or just list the actual fucking price in dollars.

Luckily for them, Lair of the Shadow Broker was so worth it. The DA:O DLC was okay, but I'm glad I demo'd DA2 before I got too tempted to buy it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Motoki wrote:
    A while back my Dragon Age Origins got Alzheimers and 'forgot' I owned all the DLC and wouldn't authorize them then I couldn't load my saves because of course they were dependent on the DLC being available.

That has actually happened a couple of times to me. I received all sorts of creative advice from the Bio forums, ranging from editing the registry to reinstalling Windows, but eventually someone who knew what she was talking about managed to help me out. Funny thing is that Mass Effect 2 and it's DLC has always been reliable and never caused me any problems.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I just wish the Bioware DLC on PC would go on sale every now and then. Every time I see Mass Effect 2 DLC on 360 have a 50% Off Sale, I cry a little. What good is getting ME2 for $10 during a Steam crazysale if the DLC is going to cost me $35 (something I'm not used to all all)?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Is Fallout 3 worth the 6.75 price tag? I mean, I loved Oblivion... is it more of the same, just in the apocalyptic world?

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote:
    Is Fallout 3 worth the 6.75 price tag? I mean, I loved Oblivion... is it more of the same, just in the apocalyptic world?

"Oblivion with guns" has more than just a bit of truth to it.

Although I'd either spring for the GOTY edition of FO3 or pick up New Vegas instead.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote:
    New Vegas > Fallout 3.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Fallout 3 is just . . . so much better than Oblivion. Quests aren't mind-numbingly boring like they are in Oblivion. Just my two cents.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    New Vegas is better, and even though I haven't played any of them, I'm sure the FO3 DLC is with the extra 3.25

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Steam thread

I demand knowledge

Roshin or J-Bob or MTS or anybody else that has prepurchased Skyrim and/or RAGE, are you able to gift people the QuakeCon pack at your new reduced price point?

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    So which of the Fallout 3 DLC's are worth getting? I haven't actually played the game yet, but at $1.69 each I might as well buy the good ones for when I do.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    There really is no reason to own Fallout 3 at this point, When you have the option of New Vegas.

as for fallout DLC, The only one I ever hear anything good about is Broken Steel.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    SO If I could only get one of the New Vegas DLCs, which should it be?

• Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I demand knowledge

Roshin or J-Bob or MTS or anybody else that has prepurchased Skyrim and/or RAGE, are you able to gift people the QuakeCon pack at your new reduced price point?

Haven't done it myself, but from what I've been told on GAF, yes you are able to.

• Options
    Big Isy wrote:

The way I hear it, Old World Blues, followed by Honest Hearts at a close second, and Dead Money at a somewhat distant third

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote:
    So which of the Fallout 3 DLC's are worth getting? I haven't actually played the game yet, but at $1.69 each I might as well buy the good ones for when I do.

Broken Steel fixes the biggest problem of Fallout 3, the incredibly stupid ending.
    Point Lookout and The Pitt are both decent and more plot-driven.
    Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta are not as good, and feature mostly boring combat.
    You honestly might as well pony up for the GOTY edition if you want to play FO3 at all at this point.

• Options
    I actually really enjoyed Operation Anchorage, for what it's worth, but I'd agree that it was probably weaker than Broken Steel and Point Lookout at least.

• Options
    I prefered Anchorage. The story felt better, since it was so driven forward. Something Fallout in general really lacked. Also, the rewards were so mind numbingly awesome that Anchorage is totally the best DLC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    Big Isy wrote:

The way I hear it, Old World Blues, followed by Honest Hearts at a close second, and Dead Money at a somewhat distant third

Cheers! I still need to finish the base game itself off. I just found the next shiny game and moved on. I gotta stop doing that.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    My problem with Fallout 3 is that is all guns and combat the alternate way to complete a mission is normally take an optional side objective from the guy you are supposed to kill to kill the mission giver instead. The VATs system made you pretty much invulnerable so you don't have to worry about that deathclaw attacking you as unload at it's head as long as you kill it before it ends. The speech skill was just used to get a few more caps at the end of a mission. Barter was just buy lower, sell higher. Science was mostly just an alternate mini-game to open the lock on doors and safes. In New Vegas non-combat skills were popping up all the time in conversations to achieve objectives and/or avoid having your get head blown with a shotgun. Also you can have Felicia Day's character punch the head Matthew Perry's character.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:
    You honestly might as well pony up for the GOTY edition if you want to play FO3 at all at this point.

I already own the base game, so all I need are the DLC. After reading some reviews I think I'll buy everything other than Mothership Zeta.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote:
    My problem with Fallout 3 is that is all guns and combat the alternate way to complete a mission is normally take an optional side objective from the guy you are supposed to kill to kill the mission giver instead. The VATs system made you pretty much invulnerable so you don't have to worry about that deathclaw attacking you as unload at it's head as long as you kill it before it ends. The speech skill was just used to get a few more caps at the end of a mission. Barter was just buy lower, sell higher. Science was mostly just an alternate mini-game to open the lock on doors and safes. In New Vegas non-combat skills were popping up all the time in conversations to achieve objectives and/or avoid having your get head blown with a shotgun. Also you can have Felicia Day's character punch the head Matthew Perry's character.

New Vegas fixed so many things about FO3

The only "downside", I would say, is that VATS feels nearly useless in New Vegas. I realized pretty late into my first play through that I had barely even touched VATS the entire game.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    TNTrooper wrote:

New Vegas fixed so many things about FO3

The only "downside", I would say, is that VATS feels nearly useless in New Vegas. I realized pretty late into my first play through that I had barely even touched VATS the entire game.

But using VATS in New Vegas leads to some awesome moments where Veronica and Rex are melee-ing it up with some random foe and then BAM, cut to a slow motion view of me, casually standing across the room in my NCR Ranger armor, ventilating said random foe's head with my long-barreled revolver. And then Veronica and Rex stand there looking at me and it's like, "Well then."

• Options
    The one thing I used VATS for was hitting Cazadore wings to cripple them

There was literally nothing else in the game that ever compelled me to use VATS

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I beat Far Cry! 1 backlog game down. It was pretty fun, even though the difficulty spiked in a couple places. The checkpoint save system was only occasionally annoying.

• Options
    Roshin wrote:
    Motoki wrote:
    A while back my Dragon Age Origins got Alzheimers and 'forgot' I owned all the DLC and wouldn't authorize them then I couldn't load my saves because of course they were dependent on the DLC being available.

That has actually happened a couple of times to me. I received all sorts of creative advice from the Bio forums, ranging from editing the registry to reinstalling Windows, but eventually someone who knew what she was talking about managed to help me out. Funny thing is that Mass Effect 2 and it's DLC has always been reliable and never caused me any problems.

Funny thing is, I never actually bought the damned DLC. I just got the Ultimate Edition that already came with it. You would think it would just install everything in one shot and you'd be good to go, but no, you have to go online and create a Bioware account and input some codes to activate it and connect it to the account before you can even play the game with the DLC that it comes with.

As for the whole forgetting issue, I eventually threw my hands up and just got a crack for it. I don't normally do that sort of thing but in this case the EA/Bioware servers were blocking me from playing a game that I paid for due to some glitch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Incidentally, the last time I tried to play DA:O awhile back the EA servers were down so I couldn't even load my save

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I demand knowledge

mine has it listed at 54.99 and yes i can give it as a gift

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I demand knowledge

incidentally, if there's anyone else out there who's preordered Rage or Skyrim, I would be much obliged if you would gift me the quakecon pack in exchange for paypal monies.

• Options
    Big Isy wrote:
    mts wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I demand knowledge

incidentally, if there's anyone else out there who's preordered Rage or Skyrim, I would be much obliged if you would gift me the quakecon pack in exchange for paypal monies.

I follow this line of thought and would adore anyone who could assist me in saving a few cash dollars by doing this for me as well.

steam_sig.png