As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Congratulations! You have died! Dungeons of Dredmor

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    is necromancy the only magic tree that damages you for spells or do they all do that?

e- it was the only one i tried, before i had to get sleep for work, is why I ask

Nah, the other schools of magic don't do that.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    This game is awesome.

signature.png

• Options
    Ok, this is the first time I've come across a chest of evil and I'm only on the first floor of the dungeon. Something tells me opening it is a bad idea.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh god, monster zoo!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Honestly, save it and level a few times then go for it.

Several times I've had a good fight out of those chests, and other times I've had some fairly solid weapons.

• Options
    RenoreRenore Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Riale wrote:
    Airking850 wrote:
    Druhim is smack on with vampirism. With the popular dual wield vamp builds you can regain 6 or 8 health per enemy you fight, and on level 7 when enemies hit for 10 damage in a single swing there's simply no way to proceed. Potions do work, at least.

Yeah but in comparison, what does eating food give you? Food only regenerates like 1-2 health a turn, right? You get way more than that from vampirism and I never once have had trouble getting health between fights. The only things that gave me problems were monster zoos, getting sandwiched between stuff (stupid commando diggles) or when certain monsters stack on top of one another, because there's no visual for it (damned eels).

Made it to level 7 on my last playthrough, but the second door I opened was a monster zoo that put me down real fast. Score was like, 123,000 or so, vastly higher than my last character.

The issue I'm starting to run into now is one of gear. By the 3rd or 4th floor it's easy to craft top tier armor and such with smithing, but the enemies scale up so fast per floor that it quickly becomes useless. Is there any way to make higher level equipment without finding the recipes for it? I had a ton of stuff like platinum and electrum, but I couldn't smith anything with it. Sucks if the only way to get those upgrades is pure luck through bookcases.

I really want to try a playthrough with a magical character, but every setup I've tried so far was super hard. Magic takes so long to replenish, and the spells do so little damage. Also, I don't think there's any way to create cloth/mage gear like there is with smithing. I wouldn't mind seeing them do a few balance passes down the road.

But you're focusing on how much you can heal during fighting. My point is that as a vampire, aside from potions you can't heal between fights at all once you run out of corpses. Food isn't supposed to keep you topped off during fights. It's how you speed recovery between fights or reduce the rate you lose health during fights. There's very little a vamp can do in between fights if they're losing more health than they're gaining. It's pretty much a dead end.

One thing I did to counteract this is take Archaeology. Trap damage is killer for vampires and this made a lot of it go away. With this and the corpse-life ability, I seem to be able to sustain myself pretty well with no dangerous spikes in health (below 10 HP.)

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Noooooooooooooooo!

After all that, I get surrounded by a bunch of measly bats and die. To bats.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Renore wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Riale wrote:
    Airking850 wrote:
    Druhim is smack on with vampirism. With the popular dual wield vamp builds you can regain 6 or 8 health per enemy you fight, and on level 7 when enemies hit for 10 damage in a single swing there's simply no way to proceed. Potions do work, at least.

Yeah but in comparison, what does eating food give you? Food only regenerates like 1-2 health a turn, right? You get way more than that from vampirism and I never once have had trouble getting health between fights. The only things that gave me problems were monster zoos, getting sandwiched between stuff (stupid commando diggles) or when certain monsters stack on top of one another, because there's no visual for it (damned eels).

Made it to level 7 on my last playthrough, but the second door I opened was a monster zoo that put me down real fast. Score was like, 123,000 or so, vastly higher than my last character.

The issue I'm starting to run into now is one of gear. By the 3rd or 4th floor it's easy to craft top tier armor and such with smithing, but the enemies scale up so fast per floor that it quickly becomes useless. Is there any way to make higher level equipment without finding the recipes for it? I had a ton of stuff like platinum and electrum, but I couldn't smith anything with it. Sucks if the only way to get those upgrades is pure luck through bookcases.

I really want to try a playthrough with a magical character, but every setup I've tried so far was super hard. Magic takes so long to replenish, and the spells do so little damage. Also, I don't think there's any way to create cloth/mage gear like there is with smithing. I wouldn't mind seeing them do a few balance passes down the road.

But you're focusing on how much you can heal during fighting. My point is that as a vampire, aside from potions you can't heal between fights at all once you run out of corpses. Food isn't supposed to keep you topped off during fights. It's how you speed recovery between fights or reduce the rate you lose health during fights. There's very little a vamp can do in between fights if they're losing more health than they're gaining. It's pretty much a dead end.

One thing I did to counteract this is take Archaeology. Trap damage is killer for vampires and this made a lot of it go away. With this and the corpse-life ability, I seem to be able to sustain myself pretty well with no dangerous spikes in health (below 10 HP.)

How many levels down have you made it? Again, your whole strategy rests on the assumption that your draining can keep up with what enemies are dishing out. Once that stops being the case, you're fucked. Whereas anyone else can take a breather and just rest to regain health.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What is to stop you from just going up a few levels to get easier prey though

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    RenoreRenore Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Renore wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Riale wrote:
    Airking850 wrote:

How many levels down have you made it? Again, your whole strategy rests on the assumption that your draining can keep up with what enemies are dishing out. Once that stops being the case, you're fucked. Whereas anyone else can take a breather and just rest to regain health.

Second floor, hahah.

I think it's more important to be able to sustain yourself DURING a fight than in-between. I'd argue any character with vampirism can go through monster zoos far easier than one without it. If in-between fights are the problem, there's plenty of solutions, like Alchemy.

• Options
    But you've only made it to the second floor. Maybe I'm wrong and there's something I'm not taking into account, but not being able to heal aside from monsters and potions seems like a big vulnerability to me.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the unarmed combat style, the first ability is a single target + damage with high knockback chance on a 6 round cooldown gained at the second level of monk, and the 4th point in monk gets you an attack that hits all 8 of the adjacent squares, on a 12 round cooldown, that ALSO has a high knockback chance. It is so nice being able to slap monsters away.

Monster Zoos are barely a problem as long as theres a good choke point for you to hide in.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Vampirism is a big vulnerability, Druhim. The popular vamp build is the best 'melee meatgrinder' build, though, so people are gonna try to make it work. Hell, I've tried a few different variations of the build, and wish it was sustainable in the later games 'cause it's a ton of fun and feels really powerful for the first few levels. There could be some tech in skills like fleshcrafting that make it sustainable - it looks like the tier 3 skill is some sort of heal over time but I haven't tried it out.

I still think that the best vampire builds are going to be ones that stack defenses so high that the average enemy hits for 2 or less damage. Gonna try to perfect some sort of Master of Arms / Shield / Unarmed / Dodge / Vamp / Archaeology / Burglary build after working with mage builds (knightly leap and promethian magic are a sweet combination)

Unrelated super pro tip: tap spacebar while walking around for extra health/mana regen without wasting time standing around hitting spacebar! Enemies move super fast though so don't die and blame me.

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    My second character didn't fare too well. Opened my first door and got swarmed by a mass of diggles and battys. That was a quick death. MY newest character is tanking it up pretty well. I discovered the pseudo teleporting spell works well to escape a sudden monster zoo you aren't ready for. I've hit two bad anvils in a row though and that sucks because I used the same piece of equipment on it.

I love this game.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just had a 50k run. Only got to third floor, but I spent a silly amount of time trying to find a monolith for three sidequests on the second floor.

I'm still not entirely sure what haywire does besides make my fire spells explode again.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'm kinda hoping they add an option for a time limit or something. Hunger meter or whatever so you can't just sit by yourself rapidly hitting spacebar to heal up.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Damn, died to the last two monsters in a monster zoo on level 2

Knew I should've tried some long-range stuff on them, they looked kinda rough

still, my score was three times my previous highest, so yay for that!

• Options
    Druhim wrote:
    Ok, this is the first time I've come across a chest of evil and I'm only on the first floor of the dungeon. Something tells me opening it is a bad idea.

Oh, I found one of those once! It summoned a boss monster when I opened it. Then I got killed by it.

• Options
    I guess I just don't see the point of playing this game without permadeath (except maybe to mess around and see what works, I guess)

I mean, it's a roguelike

in roguelikes, when you fuck up, you die, end of story

• Options
    The problem with a game without permadeath is that my scoreboard is getting fucked, every time that character dies he leaves an even higher score and I feel it is pushing out all the score from legit runs

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    :[ because I have already played it a bunch with permadeath and wanted to try something else.

It is still a video game

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    yeah, playing a roguelike without permadeath isn't playing it

this is fun, i'm not a big fan of mouse driven interfaces for stuff like this, but it's funny enough that i can play it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I'm kinda hoping they add an option for a time limit or something. Hunger meter or whatever so you can't just sit by yourself rapidly hitting spacebar to heal up.

Nah, the game's already pretty brutal. You need that time to top off your health unless you're vamp.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Artreus wrote:
    :[ because I have already played it a bunch with permadeath and wanted to try something else.

It is still a video game

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I thought less of you or anything

It's just my personal thing

• Options
    I was proud of myself for at least lasting through the entirety of the monster zoo

yeah I died to one of the last two dudes but hey! Progress!

• Options
    BYToady wrote:
    Oh man, more spells from monsters. Monster zoos are gonna be extra scary now.

Hurrah for knightly movement being more knightly!

Wonder if I'm gonna be able to grill those steaks in my ingot press George Foreman style.

I would assume they're referring to the grills you come across randomly in the dungeon. Sometimes they have food in them but otherwise they don't currently do anything. So it looks like they're giving you the option to cook meat on them so they give more health.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options

Wonder if I'm gonna be able to grill those steaks in my ingot press George Foreman style.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    First monster zoo:
    TEGP1.png
    I'm scared.

signature.png

• Options
    The two monsters that killed me were weird tentacle creatures that I hadn't seen before. By the time I realized they damaged me so much, I was already dead.

• Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    Vampirism is pretty awesome. Usually keeping topped up between fights is not an issue as long as you are smart with corpse eating. Not to mention food brings in a large amount of extra money.

The weakness of the build are traps so perception is a must (I haven't tried archaeology). Alchemy for healing potions might also be what it needs.

Not today.
  • Options
    I had sold my bolt of mass destruction because I didn't have a crossbow

next time I'm keepin' those around just in case

• Options
    See monster zoos are where arrows of mass destruction and squid arrows really shine.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Druhim wrote:
    BYToady wrote:

I would assume they're referring to the grills you come across randomly in the dungeon. Sometimes they have food in them but otherwise they don't currently do anything. So it looks like they're giving you the option to cook meat on them so they give more health.

Well you can already make grilled cheese sandwiches and deep omelettes in the ingot press, but yes, using the grill makes sense too.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    also, this is what the archaeology ability This Translation is All Wrong! does: http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/This_Translation_is_All_Wrong!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote:
    The two monsters that killed me were weird tentacle creatures that I hadn't seen before. By the time I realized they damaged me so much, I was already dead.
    Did they look like big eel heads? Because those cannot move, but really hurt at melee range.

But apparently creatures have not been casting spells like they should, so we'll see how that turns out.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I like how the patch notes say the fix to creature casting will make the game 95.2% nastier. B-)

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Druhim wrote:

There's no reason you should be losing health between fights unless you skipped perception and walk around all clumsy like. With a few levels of perception, second level of smithing and a couple pieces of gear I swapped in for tough ones, I was taking apart traps for exp all the way down to lvl 7 when I finally died. My health between battles was actually better than my last several non-vampirism characters, who only made it to about floor 5 before encountering too many enemies at one time to handle. Unless you have a way to teleport away from them nearby, there's not going to be any escaping monsters to eat if there are enough of them. Also, should the need arise, I can always quaff a regenerative potion or other healing potion, they work just fine with vampirism.

I mean, I can see how the difference is apparent between battles, but as long as you play carefully there isn't much of a risk, and during battles it's infinitely more useful. Regardless of how high the monsters scale, the healing from vampirism will always be higher than the 1-2 health a turn from food during battle.

Either way, it's just a playstyle choice.

On another note, I'm loving all the little references to games/movies/anime/etc in this. The "vampire hunter" hat had me giggling for a bit. By the by, how is everyone taking screenshots in this game? The steam overlay doesn't work, and my attempts just pasting with printscreen have been unsuccessful.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Downloading this now(!!!)

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    Oh... oh god. and here I was hoping the entire game was melee range.

Been trying to make a pure mage character work but it is just impossible. Golemancy seems the most efficient mana-wise single target and pyromancy multitarget.

But man Ill sit there and be regenning mana and all of a sudden a monster spawns and I am sitting there kicking it to death.

Not today.