As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The Wisconsin Assembly passed bills limiting insurance coverage for abortions and requiring schools to teach abstinence during a late-night session that lasted until Wednesday morning as they pushed to tie up pending legislation. The Legislature was poised to adjourn Thursday without passing its two highest priorities coming into the year: a mining bill to help create hundreds of jobs in northern Wisconsin and a measure pumping money into venture capital to help spur new business creation.

That should make your blood boil.

Nah, I see their logic: If kids dont fuck, they wont make kids, and therefore the current number of jobs will be adequate since people are dying and not being replaced. Genius!

Except you know, thats fucking stupid.

emp123 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Wow great, I moved to Wisconsin originally because my mom moved here and this is the place I wanted to live and work, because I thought Illinois was more backward socially

Shit sure has changed

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Things will change after June 5. If they don't, I'm fucking gone and I've loved this state for 28 years

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    But pointing out republicans are actively targeting women in order to pander to the religious extremists is irresponsible identity politics that will tear the country apart.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Things will change after June 5. If they don't, I'm fucking gone and I've loved this state for 28 years

I'd say come to western Washington because we aren't that bad, but things are looking Republican come November.

• Options
    Is there anywhere in this country that's safe from republican fuckery?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Vermont has single payer.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

The Massachusetts Republican party supports gay marriage and universal healthcare (Mostly not joking)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    @lonelyahava : yes, Rep. Pridemore has proposed a bill requiring Wisconsin's social services programs to put out information which (falsely) states non-traditional families are more at risk for producing child abuse and neglect. Non-traditional families in this case being gay couples, single parents, divorced parents, etc. Rep. Pridemore is generally recognized as an arch-conservative bigot. He proposed an Arizona-style "show your papers" law, for example. He even hates puppies.
    No, really. He proposed a bill to remove a lot of the restrictions placed on unlicensed dog breeders (a.k.a. "puppy mills").

...not in my wildest dreams would I ever have imagined that statement being made seriously about anyone, let alone a politician. I guess Poe's Singularity isn't taking any breaks in replacing what was once satire with reality and what was once reality with satire. ;p

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    @lonelyahava : yes, Rep. Pridemore has proposed a bill requiring Wisconsin's social services programs to put out information which (falsely) states non-traditional families are more at risk for producing child abuse and neglect. Non-traditional families in this case being gay couples, single parents, divorced parents, etc. Rep. Pridemore is generally recognized as an arch-conservative bigot. He proposed an Arizona-style "show your papers" law, for example. He even hates puppies.
    No, really. He proposed a bill to remove a lot of the restrictions placed on unlicensed dog breeders (a.k.a. "puppy mills").

...not in my wildest dreams would I ever have imagined that statement being made seriously about anyone, let alone a politician. I guess Poe's Singularity isn't taking any breaks in replacing what was once satire with reality and what was once reality with satire. ;p

Missouri Republicans tried to repeal the anti-puppy mill ban that was passed by friggin' referendum (narrowly, which is sad).

• Options

Missouri Republicans tried to repeal the anti-puppy mill ban that was passed by friggin' referendum (narrowly, which is sad).

I just love that his name is Pridemore

Seriously.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    To be fair, some puppies have it coming.

nazidog.jpg

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

There's someone taking notes on all the things the Wisconsin GOP has fucked up over the last couple years so they can fix it in 2013, right?

Someone should be taking notes of all the GOP's fucking bullshit and then launch a Super PAC whose sole goal is to educate the public on what the party has been doing. Making it clear that these are isolated cases of a single dumb fuck within the party's ranks, it's the actually party. I hate to hold up the dems and would really love to have another sane party, so that the dems are kept in check, but I've had all I can stomach from the GOP. The party just needs to die and burn at this point.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Boring7 wrote: »
    To be fair, some puppies have it coming.

nazidog.jpg

ok, I think this is like the 2nd thread you've posted that in.

I get confused enough without pictures of puppies all over the place!

• Options
    One of the state Senators facing recall has decided to resign. Senate is now even.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    One of the state Senators facing recall has decided to resign. Senate is now even.
    Was that the sound of Walker romneying?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Doesn't matter in the immediate future since today is the last day of this session until after the recalls, but man is that some unexpectedly good news

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular

Wow that's... awesome.
    For one thing, it really shows that the recalls were, in fact, a great success. Without those recalls, this resignation wouldn't have tied the Senate (and it might not have happened at all).

• Options
    This is also pretty disgusting

walkerschedule.png

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that's a lot of bathroom breaks

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    And it does not cancel the recall either. For those not aware, once the date is set, it's set. The election will happen no matter what. You're facing recall whether you're still in the seat on recall day or not. What happens now is that the GOP now has to find someone to run in Galloway's place, or else they forfeit.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Gosling wrote: »
    And it does not cancel the recall either. For those not aware, once the date is set, it's set. The election will happen no matter what. You're facing recall whether you're still in the seat on recall day or not. What happens now is that the GOP now has to find someone to run in Galloway's place, or else they forfeit.

But finding someone new to run might actually improve their odds of keeping the seat.

Removing the person thatt the recall effort was specifically directed toward means that there will be two unfamiliar names on the ballot and it's entirely possible that the people voting will vote for the R just because.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

The Massachusetts Republican party supports gay marriage and universal healthcare (Mostly not joking)

Basically: New England (NY, NJ, Mass, Vermont, Maine, etc) or California and Washington.

Anywhere else you risk super weird ass Republican shit. We also have insane taxes and cost of living.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I guess I'll take my UW-Madison engineering degree to Seattle once I graduate, if this shit doesn't get resolved here first

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Maine's Republicans do have a sizeable batshit-crazy asshole contingent, as do New Hampshire's. Look at the governor and state house speaker, respectively. Oh, and Chris Christie of NJ and Peter King of New York. Moderate-ish states still have plenty of terrible Republicans, and none of them can be trusted.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    I guess I'll take my UW-Madison engineering degree to Seattle once I graduate, if this shit doesn't get resolved here first

Wait until after November.

If get McKenna as Governor and a Republcian legislature (which looks probable) you might want to forestall those plans and head to Mass.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    They seem to be kept in check fairly well by the sane 3/4 of the population.

The same can't be said for the midwest and southern states though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

Wait until after November.

If get McKenna as Governor and a Republcian legislature (which looks probable) you might want to forestall those plans and head to Mass.

I've got about 2 years to graduation, so who knows where things will be then.

This line has been mostly facetious, but I was honestly curious

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Basically: New England (NY, NJ, Mass, Vermont, Maine, etc) or California and Washington.

Anywhere else you risk super weird ass Republican shit. We also have insane taxes and cost of living.

RI is problematic if you believe in marriage equality and NH sometimes acts a bit goofy and loves to defund public education (no sales tax and fireworks though!)

MA got now has alcohol sales on Sunday though and probably the best healthcare for the poor in the country. People are jealous when I tell them about the year and a half I was on Masshealth.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    RI has a fairly toothless civil unions bill. The bill contains extensive and controversial exemptions that allow any religiously affiliated organization or institution, such as schools, universities and hospitals, to deny recognition of civil union spouses, which is one reason for its unpopularity among marriage equality advocates.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RI has a fairly toothless civil unions bill. The bill contains extensive and controversial exemptions that allow any religiously affiliated organization or institution, such as schools, universities and hospitals, to deny recognition of civil union spouses, which is one reason for its unpopularity among marriage equality advocates.
    That's especially shameful considering the state involved.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular

walkerschedule.png

I need a lot more context for that graph to make any sense to me. I mean I'm sure the intent is to say that Scott Walker isn't doing anything while also destroying Wisconsin (wait, wut?) but I don't know how those numbers apply to the work week.

• Options
    And Prosser is now demanding that the other WI Supreme Court justices recuse themselves from his ethics trial:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/03/21/448919/prosser-attempts-to-kill-ethics-case/

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    And Prosser is now demanding that the other WI Supreme Court justices recuse themselves from his ethics trial:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/03/21/448919/prosser-attempts-to-kill-ethics-case/

He does have at least somewhat of a point. I'm not sure I'd want witnesses judging a trial.

On the other hand, committing crimes in front of judges is incredibly stupid. Even if they had to get substitute judges somewhere (it's not like the WiSC are the only game in town), just calling members of the state supreme court to the witness stand is completely in-bounds.

• Options

walkerschedule.png

I need a lot more context for that graph to make any sense to me. I mean I'm sure the intent is to say that Scott Walker isn't doing anything while also destroying Wisconsin (wait, wut?) but I don't know how those numbers apply to the work week.

These are his scheduled hours. The governors office puts out how long to the minute he has spent talking to legislators or his policy makers (the blue portions) and how long he has spent doing personal engagements which includes speeches he is paid to do, or time spent campaigning and other things not directly related to the office of the governor. I do not know if this is his actual time spent or if it's his pre-set schedule that could run long or even short.

Either way, it's fucking disgraceful.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    The man isn't even working 40 hour weeks either. Harrumph.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

walkerschedule.png

These are his scheduled hours. The governors office puts out how long to the minute he has spent talking to legislators or his policy makers (the blue portions) and how long he has spent doing personal engagements which includes speeches he is paid to do, or time spent campaigning and other things not directly related to the office of the governor. I do not know if this is his actual time spent or if it's his pre-set schedule that could run long or even short.

Either way, it's fucking disgraceful.

Shouldn't you be happy he is not setting time aside in his day to ruin your state further?

• Options
    Anybody remember back when Judge Prosser strangled that colleague of his?

Well, apparently, he doesn't think any other judge in the state should preside over the case.
    http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime_and_courts/prosser-plans-to-ask-other-justices-to-recuse-selves-in/article_50d4b360-7221-11e1-af90-001871e3ce6c.html
    Embattled Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser said Monday he will likely ask other members of the court to recuse themselves from deciding on the disciplinary complaint filed against him last week — an action that, if successful, would appear to kill the case.

Prosser also said in an interview Monday that he favors authorizing the Wisconsin Judicial Commission to release records of its deliberations in the matter to allow him and others to determine whether the commission was — as he charged Friday — politically biased against him.

"As far as I'm concerned, I don't think I have anything to hide here," Prosser said. "I don't know who made the complaints. I don't know what their (commission members') votes were. I don't know if it was a unanimous vote or not a unanimous vote."

• Options
    Hey taramoor, look up about 5 posts

And yes, Prosser is a douche